Northampton Weekender - Big Thanks

Hi

Wow!! What can I say!! What a stunning past couple of days we have had! And last night! One word for it - Sensational!

The Masqueraders were just mindblowing!, Then Chuck Jackson whose 90 minute performance was just brilliant! The girls, Pat Lewis, Diane Lewis, Betty Boo (wasn't it fantastic seeing her singing Say It Isn't So!) & Barbara Mercer all contributing to a super night last night!

I know a lot of people from soul source came over so can I say a really big thank you for coming to the event!

Hey!! Wait till I tell who is coming in 2006!

Thanks once again!

Paddy :huh:

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest stash313

Hi

Wow!! What can I say!! What a stunning past couple of days we have had! And last night! One word for it - Sensational!

The Masqueraders were just mindblowing!, Then Chuck Jackson whose 90 minute performance was just brilliant! The girls, Pat Lewis, Diane Lewis, Betty Boo (wasn't it fantastic seeing her singing Say It Isn't So!) & Barbara Mercer all contributing to a super night last night!

I know a lot of people from soul source came over so can I say a really big thank you for coming to the event!

Thanks once again!

Paddy :D

Gutted to miss it Paddy but so chuffed it went well for you!

At least we beat the Scumders to make up for it! :yes:

Hi

Thanks once again!

Paddy :D

Paddy , Its us lot that should be thanking you. I,ve been on this Scene 30 yrs and Saturday night was a night to rival any of them. Well worth the 300 mile round trip for 6 hours of PURE CLASS. :yes:

Steve

Paddy , Its us lot that should be thanking you. I,ve been on this Scene 30 yrs and Saturday night was a night to rival any of them. Well worth the 300 mile round trip for 6 hours of PURE CLASS. :yes:

Steve

Steve

Thanks for that, really glad you enjoyed Saturday! The atmosphere in the ballroom on Saturday was electric wasn't it!! I wish I could have bottled it, you could make a fortune! :D !!, as I say there was a brilliant crowd in all weekend! And so many people have made some wonderful comments to me, they are all appreciated, Even last night (Sunday!) was absolutaly cracking! In fact one of the highlights of the whole weekend happened on Sunday, with Cliff Steel playing the Masqueraders 'Same Thing' and all the guys rushing to the dancefloor and dancing with everyone else to it!! It was magical!

But as I say you had a long journey, and thanks for coming along!

Cheers

Paddy

Steve

Thanks for that, really glad you enjoyed Saturday! The atmosphere in the ballroom on Saturday was electric wasn't it!! I wish I could have bottled it, you could make a fortune! :yes: !!, as I say there was a brilliant crowd in all weekend! And so many people have made some wonderful comments to me, they are all appreciated, Even last night (Sunday!) was absolutaly cracking! In fact one of the highlights of the whole weekend happened on Sunday, with Cliff Steel playing the Masqueraders 'Same Thing' and all the guys rushing to the dancefloor and dancing with everyone else to it!! It was magical!

But as I say you had a long journey, and thanks for coming along!

Cheers

Paddy

Must say Paddy, The Masqueraders really were awesome, Rob was totally blown away so much that he actually couldn't react after their spot had finished,a straight JD helped to revive him!!! what struck me about the guys most was their humbleness and the fact that we showed such appreciation and respect for their music, i even got an acapella version of How Big Is Big, from one of the band members which had me furiously gulping back the tears that threaten to fall, I am really proud that their first live performance in the UK, happened right here in Northampton along with Betty Boo, a lovely warm hearted shy woman and again someone who could'nt believe that a record she made at the tender age of 16, could have so much meaning to so many people,The Lewis Sisters as well as Barbara Mercer were really Gals after my own heart!! we had a quick chat about the show,but mainly about the state of shopping in Npton, now can one imagine the likes of Maddy doing that with her fans? Chuck Jackson was what i expected, a very high calibre of performer who at 68 looked amazing and sounded fantastic, also massive respect to the backing band who really did keep it totally real, after getting home from this amazing night we couldn't get to sleep till 6 in the morn just kept talking about what we have witnessed, I for one can't wait till the next one, Mark B, was lovely to meet up with you again, Mark F, thank you so much for the CD, we listened to it yesterday, nice one x,BTW Paddy, Naim my son said you are a really horrible man for not letting him in!!!!! but all i can say to you Paddy is Thank You so much.Del xx

Must say Paddy, The Masqueraders really were awesome, Rob was totally blown away so much that he actually couldn't react after their spot had finished,a straight JD helped to revive him!!! what struck me about the guys most was their humbleness and the fact that we showed such appreciation and respect for their music, i even got an acapella version of How Big Is Big, from one of the band members which had me furiously gulping back the tears that threaten to fall, I am really proud that their first live performance in the UK, happened right here in Northampton along with Betty Boo, a lovely warm hearted shy woman and again someone who could'nt believe that a record she made at the tender age of 16, could have so much meaning to so many people,The Lewis Sisters as well as Barbara Mercer were really Gals after my own heart!! we had a quick chat about the show,but mainly about the state of shopping in Npton, now can one imagine the likes of Maddy doing that with her fans? Chuck Jackson was what i expected, a very high calibre of performer who at 68 looked amazing and sounded fantastic, also massive respect to the backing band who really did keep it totally real, after getting home from this amazing night we couldn't get to sleep till 6 in the morn just kept talking about what we have witnessed, I for one can't wait till the next one, Mark B, was lovely to meet up with you again, Mark F, thank you so much for the CD, we listened to it yesterday, nice one x,BTW Paddy, Naim my son said you are a really horrible man for not letting him in!!!!! but all i can say to you Paddy is Thank You so much.Del xx

Hi Del

Thanks for those nice words, it did seem like everyone was on a massive high throughout the weekend, I lost count as to how many people told me the amount of weekenders they go to or have been to and where they have placed this one!! I am far to modest to say, but hey you can guess cant you! :yes:

There were so many highlights to remember, its hard to know where to start, but certainly for me it was the amazing crowd of people who attended and their wonderful warm reception to all of the acts, all believe me including Chuck Jackson was blown away with it all!

I know you said that you could not sleep after Saturday, but Chuck rang me to say exactly the same thing, he was buzzing so much he couldn't sleep either, so you are in good company!

Everyone had a so much fun at the singing / meetings sessions yesterday, planned to go on for an hour, took about 2 & a half hours to get everyone through! But they were all so relaxed about it!

I could go on & on, but as I say thanks for those nice words!

Cheers

Paddy

What a weekend. If you weren't there you'll never have the memory of it that those who were have now. Fantastic and if Paddy and crew can top it I'll be amazed !

What a weekend. If you weren't there you'll never have the memory of it that those who were have now. Fantastic and if Paddy and crew can top it I'll be amazed !

Hi Simon

The line up for the next one in May when I annouce it & once all the contracts have been signed sealed delivered will be I think as good as this one! :yes: Patience young man! :D

Cheers

Paddy

i shall die a happy gal :D ..nothing for me will ever surpass the masqueraders performance...friendliness from all of the guys..so humble and unassuming......

i had a fab time i enjoyed doing the dj fing..even the impromptu double deck set myself and sean chapman did on sun lunch time in the second room..dinner with the masqueraders :D ....the company...the music....blah blah blah blah :D

well done paddy and co beer.gif

cookie :D

'How Big Is Big' just huge is all i can say, really suffered with my foot all weekend but it was worth it, big thanks to Paddy, nice dinning with Jo Wallace, Simon and Cookie Saturday night with the artists just behind us, nice to see Del, Catrina Smith, Pete Widdison, Cliff Steel etc. this weekend was legendary, The Masqueraders were fantastic, i talked with them in detail and they were blown away with the whole thing, count me in from a DJ perspective next time let's make it bigger and better for next year.

Paddy give me a call as i have access to another fantastic artist who needs to come over...trust me.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

i shall die a happy gal :D ..nothing for me will ever surpass the masqueraders performance...friendliness from all of the guys..so humble and unassuming......

i had a fab time i enjoyed doing the dj fing..even the impromptu double deck set myself and sean chapman did on sun lunch time in the second room..dinner with the masqueraders :D ....the company...the music....blah blah blah blah :D

well done paddy and co beer.gif

Hi Cookie

No let me thank you! All of the DJ's played their part in making this such a super weekend, great DJ's, fantastic crowd and stunning acts made it just perfect. Thanks again!

Cheers

Paddy

I sat and watched the dvd I filmed on saturday night today. And guess what.....Chuck really was awesome. If the bloke with the shiny bald head I filmed for an hour would like a copy please get in touch.

agree with all the comments i ve read so far , the company was fantastic but its a shame that the place wasnt rammed to the rafters. I hope Paddy will sell individual night passes earlier on next year so the acts get a real feel of the support they have here.

Catriona

x :D

Hi

I don't know you but really must thank you for putting on the calibre of live acts on Saturday. I know this will seem like dribble and I'm ashamed at how my memory failed me when I tried to write, but this is what I wrote on another list yesterday from Nth Yorks when I wasn't sure if anyone much else agreed with my opinion, but I couldn't stop talking about it :

"----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:09 PM

Subject: OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> the Masqueraders are by far the BEST LIVE ACT I'VE EVER SEEN,

> BY FAR,

> WELL ABOVE ANYTHING ELSE

> TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE IN MOVES, PASSION AND vocals (all four were in perfect

> harmony and surged in uptempo power - loved "how" then "I Got the Power",

> then I nearly burst into tears with "Do You Love Me Baby" - which seems

> bizarre for that record, but the build-up was like the Big-O! Right now I

> can't even recall what their fourth track was, someone remind me please

> (took 2 hours to get back north).

> I thought I'd died and gone to "fuckin soul heaven" (as my mate back home

> would describe bliss), especially when they also sang for me again in the

> lobby when asked!!! The poor other half who decided to give it a miss, is

> still hearing about it, bad enough I sang in my sleep this morning...LOL!

> The girls were good (and "lovely") - personal buzz was hearing Diane Lewis

> sing "I thank you kindly" and Betty Boo was so shy - plus Chuck Jackson was

> great with his 20 songs, never losing a note.

> ...but the Masqueraders were just totally awesome and well above anything

> I've ever heard live before.

>

> all IMHO,

> m"

I only went for the live acts (caught a little bit more) and any true soul fan would have felt blessed being there among those stars and talent. Best giggle of the night was when Betty Boo stood there looking panicked at first, but then took strength from unexpected backing singers (who turned out to be Karen Burke and Jo Wallace standing front row and singing their hearts out :yes: ), then she smiled and got back on track.

I still can't manage a decent write-up after returning south, so hope nobody minds if I post up some photos (I've downgraded them in file size) to trigger some more smiles. I dare not post up the video/sound files I took of Chuck with my phone as the file is huge - but just watching them again now and WOW - he really was great (personal favs were "I Only get this feeling" and "I don't want to cry"). Thought Barbara Mercer and Pat Lewis were also good and wish they'd all sung more material, but "hey" and "no one to love" stood out. Also thought that the way all 3 girls kicked off the live acts with "ooh boy!" was great to get the attendees racing towards the stage :wicked: .

Thanks again,

m

post-3480-1128379610_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1128379896_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1128379956_thumb.jpg

post-3480-1128380175_thumb.jpg

I don't know you but really must thank you for putting on the calibre of live acts on Saturday. I know this will seem like dribble and I'm ashamed at how my memory failed me when I tried to write, but this is what I wrote on another list yesterday from Nth Yorks when I wasn't sure if anyone much else agreed with my opinion, but I couldn't stop talking about it :

"----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:09 PM

Subject: OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> the Masqueraders are by far the BEST LIVE ACT I'VE EVER SEEN,

> BY FAR,

> (took 2 hours to get back north).

> I thought I'd died and gone to "fuckin soul heaven" (as my mate back home

> would describe bliss), especially when they also sang for me again in the

> lobby when asked!!! The poor other half who decided to give it a miss, is

> still hearing about it, bad enough I sang in my sleep this morning...LOL!

> The girls were good (and "lovely") - personal buzz was hearing Diane Lewis

> sing "I thank you kindly" and Betty Boo was so shy - plus Chuck Jackson was

> great with his 20 songs, never losing a note.

> ...but the Masqueraders were just totally awesome and well above anything

> I've ever heard live before.

>

> all IMHO,

> m"

I only went for the live acts (caught a little bit more) and any true soul fan would have felt blessed being there among those stars and talent. Best giggle of the night was when Betty Boo stood there looking panicked at first, but then took strength from unexpected backing singers (who turned out to be Karen Burke and Jo Wallace standing front row and singing their hearts out yes.gif ), then she smiled and got back on track.

I still can't manage a decent write-up after returning south, so hope nobody minds if I post up some photos (I've downgraded them in file size) to trigger some more smiles. I dare not post up the video/sound files I took of Chuck with my phone as the file is huge - but just watching them again now and WOW - he really was great (personal favs were "I Only get this feeling" and "I don't want to cry"). Thought Barbara Mercer and Pat Lewis were also good and wish they'd all sung more material, but "hey" and "no one to love" stood out. Also thought that the way all 3 girls kicked off the live acts with "ooh boy!" was great to get the attendees racing towards the stage :wicked: .

Thanks again,

m

Hi

Wow, thanks for such nice comments, hearing how much people liked it makes it all worthwhile, I still say that the acts were fantastic, BUT so was the crowd, we had a bloody brilliant crowd in all weekend!

Cheers

Paddy

I sat and watched the dvd I filmed on saturday night today. And guess what.....Chuck really was awesome. If the bloke with the shiny bald head I filmed for an hour would like a copy please get in touch.

agree with all the comments i ve read so far , the company was fantastic but its a shame that the place wasnt rammed to the rafters. I hope Paddy will sell individual night passes earlier on next year so the acts get a real feel of the support they have here.

Catriona

x :yes:

Hi Catriona

Yes that is something I will take on board for the next one!

Cheers

Paddy

The focus of this event seemed ALWAYS about the live acts. On that level the delivery of promise was 150%.

If we're being honest then the overall price was probably on the expensive side for a lot of people. But taken in context, pound for pound it was value for money- a full weekend in a nice hotel in central England, food inclusive, legendary major live acts, all absolute ICONS on the Northern Soul performing so close you could touch them then sit and drink and talk to with get them, eat breakfast with them, get pictures with them, sign autographs, dance with them and most importantly in my book, tell them how much the music they made in the last thirty plus years means to them. But I can see why not everyone has the money (I don't) or wants to spend the money on a weekend like that no matter what. But the chance was there just to come down, enjoy the Saturday and the phenomenal live acts. And a lot of people chose not to. But the ones who did will carry that evening or weekend forever in their hearts.

A thread on "Arthurs" list recently questioned the number of Weekenders that are taking place this Autumn. There are only so many regulars on the Northern Scene- and my experience is that whenever I go out (which is not often) I see a lot of faces that I know either from the few events I do attend or from the internet sites. . and I wonder truly how many people there really are that attend more than five events a year. My guess is that it's not that many and that the hardcore is actually the same couple of hundred all the time.

I like live acts and a live act is more likely to get me out than the promise of some beer and someone playing the same old records that every other big deejay has with no thought or imagination. Mark Freeman was playing great stuff but no one was listening (except for us outside in the area on the stands). Not his fault, not Paddy's fault but the fault of those who didn't attend the event or those who did but preferred to sit in the bar watching the football or whatever they were doing. But we all have choices. But I spent time talking with some fantastic people, catching up with people I knew and some I didn't and I put some faces to names ( so now I know who to avoid in future ho ho ! )

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware the first (big) hotel based event was The Blackpool Hilton Luxury Weekend. It has the lot and the atmosphere is electric. The accommodation is sold out and the time of year (January) is conducive to staying indoors. It works to the maximum. But the timing is perfect, the event is quality and to be honest the punters are of a type ( more Southerners??) that perhaps don't mind spending a little money on the Weekend which as far as I'm aware is a little cheaper than the Northampton event. But there's only some much room in the year for major events- and I'm afraid that "major event" has already come to mean "price led major event". Someone said to me at the weekend "The Northern Scene has peaked for good - the Modern scene has five to seven years". Maybe that's true. I dunno.

What I do know is that from the moment Angelo Starr and The Team kicked off on stage I was grinning like and idiot from ear to ear. When The Adorables appeared on stage and sang 'Ooh Boy" complete with girl group hand gestures I nearly took off and floated to the ceiling. I never expected to see Barbara Mercer in my life let alone hear her sing "Happiness Is Here", talk to her, have her sign something and have my photo taken with her. I never expected to talk with Diane Lewis who is a sweetie, about her trips to the UK with George Clinton and Isaac Hayes, I never really expected to sit and chat with her sister Pat again after fifteen years and in MY WILDEST DREAMS I never expected to do ANY of that with Betty Boo.

When Betty came on stage I got tears in my eyes. When she faltered with the song (tricky intro on "Say It Isn't So" ) on an obviously dodgy microphone (something that shouldn't have happened) it went straight to my heart and I actually cried. That turned into something else when she pulled it together and sang the song straight through. All the hopes and dreams of a lifetime in one moment and it gives me a lump in my throat typing it now.

The Masqueraders were incredible as anyone who was there will tell you. The magic of a group who have been harmonising together for year is awesome and there it was on stage better than I have ever seen or heard. I can say no more other than that.

A short break and Chuck Jackson was on stage. Few voices are intact after singing for forty five years. Chuck Jackson is note perfect and proved it right there. He sang every song you wanted to hear and a few you didn't expect. Again you should have been there.

The aftermath on Sunday was unfortunately quiet. But back to the top- the focus of this event seemed ALWAYS about the live acts. On that level the delivery of promise was 150%.

Sunday night turned into a party when the smaller room was opened up for the deejays who played fantastic sets of expensive records for those who consider that important but then Jo Wallace and Sean Chapman double decked billed as "The Testicle Twins" [ask Sean !] and anyone who had a fun bone in their body danced to a selection of Soul classics.. I've rarely laughed that much- to quote Jo " You birds with the big tits sitting over there. Get off you arses and dance". Despite that the back of the room seemed to be full of people trying to blend into the curtains. But Barbara Mercer was dancing to "Backstabbers" and when Jo and Sean dragged The Masqueraders on to the floor to dance to their own record "I Ain't Gonna Stop" I couldn't believe what was happening- especially when I found myself singing the words alongside Lee Jones.

You had to be there.

I'm not going to go into the whole thing of not going to see live acts. If liking Soul music is about liking the emotion and life experience that Soul music brings, then surely a live performance is the ultimate expression of that. For some people I suspect seeing someone live is a reminder of their own lost youth and therefore something they don't want to acknowledge. Or maybe they don't like Soul, they just like records? I don't understand the resistance to it other than to think it has something to do with liking records better than music which is like saying you like pornography more than actual sex. Each to his own.

Learn to love yourself and learn to love life. This weekend was about love, life and despite the fact that my throat is sore and I feel rough as a badgers arse I feel more alive because of it. And finally I know what's better than a towel !

The focus of this event seemed ALWAYS about the live acts. On that level the delivery of promise was 150%.

If we're being honest then the overall price was probably on the expensive side for a lot of people. But taken in context, pound for pound it was value for money- a full weekend in a nice hotel in central England, food inclusive, legendary major live acts, all absolute ICONS on the Northern Soul performing so close you could touch them then sit and drink and talk to with get them, eat breakfast with them, get pictures with them, sign autographs, dance with them and most importantly in my book, tell them how much the music they made in the last thirty plus years means to them. But I can see why not everyone has the money (I don't) or wants to spend the money on a weekend like that no matter what. But the chance was there just to come down, enjoy the Saturday and the phenomenal live acts. And a lot of people chose not to. But the ones who did will carry that evening or weekend forever in their hearts.

A thread on "Arthurs" list recently questioned the number of Weekenders that are taking place this Autumn. There are only so many regulars on the Northern Scene- and my experience is that whenever I go out (which is not often) I see a lot of faces that I know either from the few events I do attend or from the internet sites. . and I wonder truly how many people there really are that attend more than five events a year. My guess is that it's not that many and that the hardcore is actually the same couple of hundred all the time.

I like live acts and a live act is more likely to get me out than the promise of some beer and someone playing the same old records that every other big deejay has with no thought or imagination. Mark Freeman was playing great stuff but no one was listening (except for us outside in the area on the stands). Not his fault, not Paddy's fault but the fault of those who didn't attend the event or those who did but preferred to sit in the bar watching the football or whatever they were doing. But we all have choices. But I spent time talking with some fantastic people, catching up with people I knew and some I didn't and I put some faces to names ( so now I know who to avoid in future ho ho ! )

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware the first (big) hotel based event was The Blackpool Hilton Luxury Weekend. It has the lot and the atmosphere is electric. The accommodation is sold out and the time of year (January) is conducive to staying indoors. It works to the maximum. But the timing is perfect, the event is quality and to be honest the punters are of a type ( more Southerners??) that perhaps don't mind spending a little money on the Weekend which as far as I'm aware is a little cheaper than the Northampton event. But there's only some much room in the year for major events- and I'm afraid that "major event" has already come to mean "price led major event". Someone said to me at the weekend "The Northern Scene has peaked for good - the Modern scene has five to seven years". Maybe that's true. I dunno.

What I do know is that from the moment Angelo Starr and The Team kicked off on stage I was grinning like and idiot from ear to ear. When The Adorables appeared on stage and sang 'Ooh Boy" complete with girl group hand gestures I nearly took off and floated to the ceiling. I never expected to see Barbara Mercer in my life let alone hear her sing "Happiness Is Here", talk to her, have her sign something and have my photo taken with her. I never expected to talk with Diane Lewis who is a sweetie, about her trips to the UK with George Clinton and Isaac Hayes, I never really expected to sit and chat with her sister Pat again after fifteen years and in MY WILDEST DREAMS I never expected to do ANY of that with Betty Boo.

When Betty came on stage I got tears in my eyes. When she faltered with the song (tricky intro on "Say It Isn't So" ) on an obviously dodgy microphone (something that shouldn't have happened) it went straight to my heart and I actually cried. That turned into something else when she pulled it together and sang the song straight through. All the hopes and dreams of a lifetime in one moment and it gives me a lump in my throat typing it now.

The Masqueraders were incredible as anyone who was there will tell you. The magic of a group who have been harmonising together for year is awesome and there it was on stage better than I have ever seen or heard. I can say no more other than that.

A short break and Chuck Jackson was on stage. Few voices are intact after singing for forty five years. Chuck Jackson is note perfect and proved it right there. He sang every song you wanted to hear and a few you didn't expect. Again you should have been there.

The aftermath on Sunday was unfortunately quiet. But back to the top- the focus of this event seemed ALWAYS about the live acts. On that level the delivery of promise was 150%.

Sunday night turned into a party when the smaller room was opened up for the deejays who played fantastic sets of expensive records for those who consider that important but then Jo Wallace and Sean Chapman double decked billed as "The Testicle Twins" [ask Sean !] and anyone who had a fun bone in their body danced to a selection of Soul classics.. I've rarely laughed that much- to quote Jo " You birds with the big tits sitting over there. Get off you arses and dance". Despite that the back of the room seemed to be full of people trying to blend into the curtains. But Barbara Mercer was dancing to "Backstabbers" and when Jo and Sean dragged The Masqueraders on to the floor to dance to their own record "I Ain't Gonna Stop" I couldn't believe what was happening- especially when I found myself singing the words alongside Lee Jones.

You had to be there.

I'm not going to go into the whole thing of not going to see live acts. If liking Soul music is about liking the emotion and life experience that Soul music brings, then surely a live performance is the ultimate expression of that. For some people I suspect seeing someone live is a reminder of their own lost youth and therefore something they don't want to acknowledge. Or maybe they don't like Soul, they just like records? I don't understand the resistance to it other than to think it has something to do with liking records better than music which is like saying you like pornography more than actual sex. Each to his own.

Learn to love yourself and learn to love life. This weekend was about love, life and despite the fact that my throat is sore and I feel rough as a badgers arse I feel more alive because of it. And finally I know what's better than a towel !

What a fantastic review Simon , well done mate , Best Wishes ,Eddie .

Beautiful Simon, simply beautiful, true and from the heart, i don't think it's just weekenders which are over subscribed i think the whole scene is to be honest with more soul venues nationwide than you can shake a stick at, hundreds of events on week in week out it's reached overkill in my opinion and it will simply fall apart if it continues.....still to see the look on Pat Lewis's face when i asked her to sign those two records again which she already did back in 1991 was a blast and was a highlight of my weekend.

I only wish i could have stayed for the Sunday night seems like it was magical.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi

Thanks once again!

Paddy :wicked:

HI paddy and everyone involved in this unbelievable weekend.

A MASSIVE THANKYOOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite possibly the best weekend of my life so far, I stood and watched and listened to The Masqueraders like a rabbit trapped in the headlights of a car, mesmerised...stunned !! All the live acts (seems dismissive , it's not ...they were all wonderful) were amazing yet ,for me' THe Masqueraders left me completely speechless ....and when i started talking all i could say was 'i will die a happy man' and i told each member that....i also said i want to see them again as soon as possible !!!!! Have you re-booked them for a full show Paddy ????? This weekend was 5 star in every department, everyone was incredibly friendly and tuned in,no hostility no politics..it was HEAVEN ! Like Cookie i had a double-deck spontaneous session,with Sean Chapman after Chuck on Saturday....which was great fun but we had to cut it short just as folks were starting to groove,hope to team up again it was a blast.

Brilliant to chat with Glen Bellamy and Tony Dellar, much reminiscing and unashamed nostalgia for times gone by...but this Weekend was now !! yet seemed unreal.....i'm still pinching myself !! Did it HAPPEN ????

Friends of many years turned up , as i'd told them they'd be mad to miss it. and they were not dissapointed.

The Venue ..The People.....The LIne-up of ARTISTS (WOW) were magnificent.....most of the superlatives have alreaday been written by other 'SOUL-SOURCERS' on here and possibly with more eloquence....i'm still overawed by it all.....close to perfection as it was !

I'm supposed to be working so better go and earn some money for the next one Paddy...because.....'NOTHING CAN STOP ME' !!!!

'HOW BIG IS BIG' !!!!!!

THIS WEEKEND WAS THE BEST EVENT I'VE EVER ATTENDED FOR ALL ROUND CLASS IN EVERY DEPARTMENT AND THIS IS NOT HYPERBOLE AS I'M AN AWKWARD OLD BUGGER TO PLEASE

. THANKS PADDY AND FAYE AAND BOB AND ROB AND SEAN AND TONY AND ROGER AND SUE AND GLEN.........IT'S ENDLESS ,AND EVERYONE I MET ......THE PLEASURE WAS ALL MINE

WHEN'S THE NEXT ONE ??????? 'I'M ON MY WAY' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE VERY HAPPY BLOKE FROM SUNNY SALFORD .....UP NORTH !!!

THIS WAS :yes:biggrin.gif:huh::yes::D:D A SIX STAR EVENT !!

CHRIS MORGAN.

You had to be there.

When i thanked Paddy i couldnt put into words what i wanted too. But you have

Thanks Simon

Catriona

x :(

Just as a quick follow up on this posting and the Saturday night passes, it is a difficult one to judge, as the event is intended to be a weekend gig spread over 3 days and that is what I want to concentrate it on. A lot has been said and quite rightly so about the sensational acts we had on Saturday night, but those that were in on Friday had a brilliant night and the Sunday weekender party with all the DJ's just playing what they wanted and double decking was equally as good! I have to be careful that the weekender is not turned into a Saturday Soul night which could happen if to many passes were to be issued.

So many people are already e-mailing and phoning wanting to book up for the next one in May without me yet annoucing who we have on the line up. But that is great that there is such a massive interest!

Cheers

Paddy

Just as a quick follow up on this posting and the Saturday night passes, it is a difficult one to judge, as the event is intended to be a weekend gig spread over 3 days and that is what I want to concentrate it on. A lot has been said and quite rightly so about the sensational acts we had on Saturday night, but those that were in on Friday had a brilliant night and the Sunday weekender party with all the DJ's just playing what they wanted and double decking was equally as good! I have to be careful that the weekender is not turned into a Saturday Soul night which could happen if to many passes were to be issued.

So many people are already e-mailing and phoning wanting to book up for the next one in May without me yet annoucing who we have on the line up. But that is great that there is such a massive interest!

Cheers

Paddy

Have been running around since the weekend and have not had the chance to send a message until now, but better late than never ....Congratulations on such a great event....seeing the live acts one after another was magical ....The Masqueraders were amazing weren't they?

Neil

Have been running around since the weekend and have not had the chance to send a message until now, but better late than never ....Congratulations on such a great event....seeing the live acts one after another was magical ....The Masqueraders were amazing weren't they?

Neil

Hi Neil

Glad you enjoyed the weekend, you are right as everyone os saying the Masqueraders were superb, but I still say as well as the live acts, the DJ's and the amazing crowd that we had in all helped to make it memorable night!

Cheers

Paddy

the Masqueraders are by far the BEST LIVE ACT I'VE EVER SEEN,

> BY FAR,

"I'm just an average guy" the other side of 'I ain't gonna stop' on AGP

I don't suppose anyone video tapped their set, did they?

Edited by Simon T

> BY FAR,

I don't suppose anyone video tapped their set, did they?

Hi Simon

Sadly I didn't video it, I did ask a couple of people about coming along to film the gig but they didn't show, however there did seem to be a fair amount of video type camera's in the main hall, so you may be lucky, on the other hand when you watch it and see just how amazing these guys were on Saturday you will only be angry that you missed it! Seeing 'Cowboy' of the group struggling to hold back the tears & with them running down his face due to the massive reception they were given by the crowd gives me goose pimples just thinking about it!

Cheers

Paddy

Hi Simon

Sadly I didn't video it, I did ask a couple of people about coming along to film the gig but they didn't show, however there did seem to be a fair amount of video type camera's in the main hall, so you may be lucky, on the other hand when you watch it and see just how amazing these guys were on Saturday you will only be angry that you missed it! Seeing 'Cowboy' of the group struggling to hold back the tears & with them running down his face due to the massive reception they were given by the crowd gives me goose pimples just thinking about it!

Cheers

Paddy

Hi Paddy

I didn't miss it, the chin is still on the floor and the kecks still wet from the over excitment! I'd just like to see it again to check it wasn't a dream!

Hi Paddy

I didn't miss it, the chin is still on the floor and the kecks still wet from the over excitment! I'd just like to see it again to check it wasn't a dream!

couldnt have put it better myself....i will cherish the memory as long as i live..the masqueraders have always been my true heroes..the passion shone through in every bar of the music..i was frozen to the spot.in total awe of true soul sung by four humble guys..to say i was there and part of it is an honour :D

Hi Paddy

Hi Simon

Good to know you were amongst us on Saturday as they say 'we were there'!, sorry mate I must have read you posting wrong!! Mind you thats typical of me!! :D:D

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Cheers

Paddy

Hi Simon

Good to know you were amongst us on Saturday as they say 'we were there'!, sorry mate I must have read you posting wrong!! Mind you thats typical of me!! :D:D

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Cheers

Paddy

Forgot to post up Chuck Jackson's song list and in order he performed them!

SET 1

GOOD THINGS

HAND IT OVER

THATS ME LOVING YOU

WE`LL FIND A WAY

THANKS BUT NO THANKS

ANY DAY NOW

I ONLY GET THIS FEELING

SET 2

ALL OVER THE WORLD

WHAT AM I GOING TO DO

LONELY MAN

THE DAY THE WORLD STOOD STILL

I DONT WANT TO CRY

I`VE GOT THE NEED

SHAKE ME WAKE ME (WHEN ITS OVER)

I`VE GOT TO BE STRONG

CHAINS OF LOVE

LOVE LIGHTS

Cheers

Paddy

Thanks Simon,

I'll have to dig it out (depending on which country I've left it in) and see if it jogs the memory. I had frozen from stupefaction by their 3rd track, so even if they'd sung "Happy Birthday", I'd still not remember :lol: .

If anyone out there has a good video or can transfer the sound to CD, please PM me about buying a copy if you would be so kind (the name's Maria).

cheers again,

m

Paddy i've tried to resist posting but after a week of reminising (spelling was never my strong point) i just have to say that "Saturday night is one of the best nights of my life and the Masqueraders were just "awesome". All i can say is More,more,more.I know that i only live twenty minutes down the road and that is the primary reason that i did'nt take up the weekend option.After Saturday night i must say that if Friday or Sunday was anything like Saturday then next year could you please reserve the finest room available as i don't want to miss a second of the next one (please book the masqueraders)

Thanks again for your dedication to the cause.

Regards Harry whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Paddy i've tried to resist posting but after a week of reminising (spelling was never my strong point) i just have to say that "Saturday night is one of the best nights of my life and the Masqueraders were just "awesome". All i can say is More,more,more.I know that i only live twenty minutes down the road and that is the primary reason that i did'nt take up the weekend option.After Saturday night i must say that if Friday or Sunday was anything like Saturday then next year could you please reserve the finest room available as i don't want to miss a second of the next one (please book the masqueraders)

Thanks again for your dedication to the cause.

Regards Harry whistling.gif:thumbsup:

Hi Harry

Thanks for such nice words mate, it is appreciated, I have had some fantastic comments from people who came along and it is great that the event went down so well with people, also really glad you enjoyed yourself!

I have to say, and I am sure others who were in on Friday and Sunday will agree both nights were very good both had a super atmosphere! this is what I say about having to be careful not to issue to many Saturday passes or it will turn into just a massive Saturday night event when we want it to be a weekender spread over three days!

Good point about The Masqueraders, just wondered if people would want to see them again next year in May? What does others think on here about me booking them again? To soon yes / no?

Cheers

Paddy

Hi Harry

Thanks for such nice words mate, it is appreciated, I have had some fantastic comments from people who came along and it is great that the event went down so well with people, also really glad you enjoyed yourself!

I have to say, and I am sure others who were in on Friday and Sunday will agree both nights were very good both had a super atmosphere! this is what I say about having to be careful not to issue to many Saturday passes or it will turn into just a massive Saturday night event when we want it to be a weekender spread over three days!

Good point about The Masqueraders, just wondered if people would want to see them again next year in May? What does others think on here about me booking them again? To soon yes / no?

Cheers

Paddy

Paddy are you really being serious?

The Masqueraders are a must and hopefully will headline the next one.Will definately organise our lot for the next one and appreciate your help in everything ( where do you find the time and energy ? )

Regards Soulster 22

post-1568-1128674991.gif

post-1568-1128675024.gif

Hi Harry

Cheers

Paddy

PADDY

I'D CRAWL OVER BROKEN GLASS TO SEE THEM AGAIN. I'D BEG ,BORROW EVEN STEAL.......!!!!!

DRAMATIC ENOUGH FOR YOU ? I'M SERIOUS !!!

CHRIS M whistling.gif:thumbsup::lol:

PADDY

I'D CRAWL OVER BROKEN GLASS TO SEE THEM AGAIN. I'D BEG ,BORROW EVEN STEAL.......!!!!!

DRAMATIC ENOUGH FOR YOU ? I'M SERIOUS !!!

CHRIS M whistling.gif:thumbsup::lol:

Looking good!! I do want to hear from as many of you as possible on here about this, tell me what you think? Too soon Yes / No!?

Cheers

Paddy

Looking good!! I do want to hear from as many of you as possible on here about this, tell me what you think? Too soon Yes / No!?

Cheers

Paddy

spoken to loads of friends who are really kicking themselves and asking where are they playing next.......

well ???? NORTHAMPTON ?? sounds good to me.....Paddy. :lol:

spoken to loads of friends who are really kicking themselves and asking where are they playing next.......

well ???? NORTHAMPTON ?? sounds good to me.....Paddy. :lol:

Just a shame that they are asking where they are playing next isn't it!! The gig at the weekender by these guys was always going to be stunning! That is where they should have been to see them! Its beginning to look like here again then! :lol:

Cheers

Paddy

Just a shame that they are asking where they are playing next isn't it!! The gig at the weekender by these guys was always going to be stunning! That is where they should have been to see them! Its beginning to look like here again then! :lol:

Cheers

Paddy

YEP....!!! GET THEM SIGNED UP QUICK BECAUSE THE WORD IS OUT, EVEN IF THEY PLAY ELSEWHERE I'D RATHER ATTEND A QUALITY EVENT LIKE NORTHAMPTON. I WILL ALSO STILL ATTEND OTHERS YET FRANAKLY THIS WEEKEND WAS AN EYE-OPENER. IT WAS,IN SHORT, ALL-ROUND QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRIS M

YEP....!!! GET THEM SIGNED UP QUICK BECAUSE THE WORD IS OUT, EVEN IF THEY PLAY ELSEWHERE I'D RATHER ATTEND A QUALITY EVENT LIKE NORTHAMPTON. I WILL ALSO STILL ATTEND OTHERS YET FRANAKLY THIS WEEKEND WAS AN EYE-OPENER. IT WAS,IN SHORT, ALL-ROUND QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHRIS M

Hi Chris

The guys have said they will check with me first before they accept any bookings in the UK! They said they would prefer to come over only for me if and when they return! In fact so did Chuck Jackson!!

Cheers

Paddy

They said they would prefer to come over only for me if and when they return!

If and when? Surley they got British citizenships & passports for that performance?

Hi Simon

All I meant was that the guys when they come back next time to perform in the UK said to me they would only come back if I brought them!

Cheers

Paddy

Me too Paddy.

Catriona

x

PS Your Chuck list is a bit light. He also did GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS which made my night.

x

Hi Catriona

Yes you are right he did do that one! Great as well wasn't it!

Cheers

Paddy

I have a few bored teenagers in the house today( rain affects the wheels on their skateboards or something )so I ll get them to make up a dvd of chuck.

Would you like a copy?

Anyone?

Catriona.smith@ntlworld.com

CERTAINLY WOULD !!!!!

CHRIS M :thumbsup:

Hi Chris

The guys have said they will check with me first before they accept any bookings in the UK! They said they would prefer to come over only for me if and when they return! In fact so did Chuck Jackson!!

Cheers

Paddy

Hi Chris

Cheers

Paddy

THAT'S GOOD NEWS PADDY :thumbsup:

CHRIS M

Cheers

Paddy

After a fantastic weekend I had to have some time to rest :thumbsup: Paddy thanks a lot what can I say that hasn't been said before, other than I am not an experienced souler, only 16 months old!! :shades: Have seen a few live acts at weekenders around the country and abroad, must of them were very good, but the Masqueraders were fantastic, the harmonies and their voices wow!!! The girls were great as Chuck was, indeed it is a pity more people didnt make the effort to come. The DJs played some fantastic tunes, the double deckings were very good, Jo and Sean and Chris and Sean, met some very nice people, Sue and Roger, Martin, Tina and Tony, Dess, yourself, etc and the friendliness of all, acts, DJs and soulers. What a great weekend, thanks again Paddy.

Yes please book the Masqueraders again, I was stop at the entrance to Soul or Nothing, Mcr, on Sat and the people at the door were asking if they were realy good!!! It can never be too soon to see such a 10* class live act, plus the friendliness of the guys. By the way do book us again for the next one, Im asking for the 26th and 29th May as hols already!!!

Carlos whistling.gif