Trevor Nelson - Help

Guest stash313

Guest stash313

Hi a friend of mine is trying to locate some material on Trevor Nelson for a Univeristy project.

Does anybody remember the documentary series he did on the UK Soul scene a couple of years back?

A bit of a long shot but does anyone have a copy of the 1st show which featured Northern and filmed at Lowton? If so would there be any chance of having a copy Iam willing to pay for P+P and Video cost.

You can email me livesey1@hotmail.com or PM or leave a message on here.

Many thanks,

Sean

[also posted in freebasing]

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi a friend of mine is trying to locate some material on Trevor Nelson for a Univeristy project.

Does anybody remember the documentary series he did on the UK Soul scene a couple of years back?

A bit of a long shot but does anyone have a copy of the 1st show which featured Northern and filmed at Lowton? If so would there be any chance of having a copy Iam willing to pay for P+P and Video cost.

You can email me livesey1@hotmail.com or PM or leave a message on here.

Many thanks,

Sean

[also posted in freebasing]

PM Pete S (Pete Smith of west midlands) on here, he was knocking out DVDs, one of which has this on

Social source share

I don't know about 'Trevor Nelson - Help', more like 'Trevor Nelson needs help', that was the worst feature on Northern ever made, he had these terrible preconceptions that everyone would dislike him because a) he was black and cool.gif he was southern, and when the opposite happened he looked like he'd escaped from a Ku Klux Klan meeting he was that relieved. Utter, utter rubbish.

Social source share

I don't know about 'Trevor Nelson - Help', more like 'Trevor Nelson needs help', that was the worst feature on Northern ever made, he had these terrible preconceptions that everyone would dislike him because a) he was black and cool.gif he was southern, and when the opposite happened he looked like he'd escaped from a Ku Klux Klan meeting he was that relieved. Utter, utter rubbish.

Yeah thinking back when he arrived at the Wigan site (now a car park) he was pretty miffed and said something to the effect of "I hope tonight is better, or northern soul can die forever" :angry:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I was asked to contribute to the series and did a 3 hour piece to camera which included the venues which were equally important as Wigan - Twisted Wheel, Torch, Stafford, West Hampstead...........the list was endless; the people who had kept the flame alight during the dark days (that's you lot) and the djs who had been instrumental in shaping the scene .......and guess what - it all ended up on the cutting room floor apart from 2 minutes about - WIGAN :thumbsup: ..........I spent weeks with the people on the production team, giving them names and numbers to contact, trying to explain that it was important not to go down the same old DRUGS AND BAGGIE TROUSERS route because it's the MUSIC - the stuff we're all in it for - THE SOUL that is the most important thing to put across - I was under the impression that the programme was about music.......Call me naieve..........WHY DID I BOTHER :thumbsup: They weren't interested.......F**K the lot of them - I tried my best to redress the balance and give everyone props who was due a mention but it will never happen and when it's too late, we'll have turned to dust............. :thumbsup: . We all know who's done what and it doesn't take a shitty documentary to give them respect - we can do that ourselves. The only thing that lingers is a nasty taste in my mouth.........Jo

Yeah thinking back when he arrived at the Wigan site (now a car park) he was pretty miffed and said something to the effect of "I hope tonight is better, or northern soul can die forever" :angry:

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Good - I hope it's for using as an example of how not to portray a scene in the media that has been much malined and mis-represented........name him and shame him. If I ever meet him face to face, I'll rant.......... :thumbsup: Trevor, thanks for assasinating a scene and the people on it by your dismissive, off-hand remarks - the carpark shot shows your lack of respect and total ignorance about something you should've researched thoroughly........what you would've found is a scene where people that have spent their lifetimes preserving, loving and nurturing black American music and the artists......this scene has more passion in its little finger than you'll ever have in your whole lifetime...............try getting your facts right before dissing us...........next you'll be playing tunes out on 'your scene' and radio shows that you'll claimed to have loved for years - and probably take the credit for discovering them too................. :angry: Bah, humbug.........Jo

I wholeheartedly agree that it was shite!

But alas I don't need it for entertainment!

(thankgod)

Social source share

Good - I hope it's for using as an example of how not to portray a scene in the media that has been much malined and mis-represented........name him and shame him. If I ever meet him face to face, I'll rant.......... :thumbsup: Trevor, thanks for assasinating a scene and the people on it by your dismissive, off-hand remarks - the carpark shot shows your lack of respect and total ignorance about something you should've researched thoroughly........what you would've found is a scene where people that have spent their lifetimes preserving, loving and nurturing black American music and the artists......this scene has more passion in its little finger than you'll ever have in your whole lifetime...............try getting your facts right before dissing us...........next you'll be playing tunes out on 'your scene' and radio shows that you'll claimed to have loved for years - and probably take the credit for discovering them too................. :angry: Bah, humbug.........Jo

I think Jo is a teensy weensy little bit upset :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe it was a preminition that everybody would dislike him.

Maybe that was the only thing he got right.

Col.

Social source share

Tired and emotional Jo?

:thumbsup:

I like the car park scene personally. I couldn't work out where the Hillman Imp would have been tho.

I used to drive there in my red hillman imp in the mid seventies , long before it was a car park !!! :thumbsup:

as for that t.nelson "show" , I have it on both dvdr and vhs and its still disgraceful on both formats !!!!!!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

No, just pissed off at the media thinking it's fair game to take a pop.................

Tired and emotional Jo?

:(

I like the car park scene personally. I couldn't work out where the Hillman Imp would have been tho.

Social source share

The only thing that lingers is a nasty taste in my mouth.........Jo

No, the highpoint of that shitey documentary was your comment on the car accident when they said "do you want to go to hospital"? And you said "no, I want to go to Wigan"! :(:(

Social source share

Who wants recognition from someone as inept as Nelson anyway? As long as the artists are happy with how the scene treats their music (which from Sidney Barnes, Gwen Owens, and Lou Prides reactions I'd say they largely, are) then thats all the props you need, surely.

The impression I got from Nelson's childish behaviour on that awful series was that he will only give something credit, if a.) he can make some moolah out of it, and b.) he gets personal recognition for it.

If he wants to challenge that let him present a series that actually properly explores the history of soul music in this country from the perspective of both the black and white fans without making comments which clearly show his immaturity and lack of passion for the subject. For example, the Northern episode could have benefitted from interviews with ordinary black British soul fans, who could of given their perspective of how they see the scene and what they think of the records. That would of at least counteracted his biased mumblings. No ones suggesting it should of just been northern fans gushing about how great it all is, but there was no balance to the structure of the programme. But I also reckon its the fault of the programme makers. It suggested none of them really cared about the subject at all.

Cheers,

Joel

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That was true.........I was given a lift up to London and at the Black Prince junction near Bexley, the car was in a shunt. Seat belts weren't obligatory and consequently, the driver was halfway out of the front window like some extra from 'Casualty'. An ambulance was driving the other way. They asked me whether I wanted to go to hospital and I said 'No, Wigan'...........they left me alone after that :( Dazed and confused - Jo

No, the highpoint of that shitey documentary was your comment on the car accident when they said "do you want to go to hospital"? And you said "no, I want to go to Wigan"!
:(:(

Social source share

As ever the media TV/Film/the press in general think they know it all and they simply don't, everytime there has been any television coverage over the years on the scene it's as though they have to get someone normally not connected with it who is famous to give it some street cred which is total bollocks, Nelson came across to me as a condersending no mark who is totally void of any connection, emotion or passion to Black Music of any era or style except to the era and productions he has championed or as it's already been said from which he has a professional and perhaps financial interest in, the whole series was geared towards the final episode where he could promote his own personal interests...it was a joke to be honest, they never seem to listen or take on board people who are in the know, christ if they don't give a shit why? make these watered down attempts of covering such a complex rich cult scene as the Northern scene is.

There have been a couple of shows over the years which have shown a fair perspective of the scene but many have failed and missed the point totally, Nelson had the chance to produce an indepth look which should have been detailed and constructive and was the wrong person to present such an emotional very important music scene and culture, it's been said before that some people have it and some people don't SOUL that is and i'm affraid Mr Nelson did himself and his reputation no good at all, perhaps his clout and standing in the television industry sold him as being the perfect choice to front this show, yet dig under the surface and he has very little connection with SOUL music's ideals and ethos, be it Northern, Funk whatever! he was glib and had no interest in the subject at all, he even made the Funk scene which he claimed to have been a part of look like a drunken buch of wasters, i really object to people who use music cultures as a way of bettering their own goals and personal ambitions basically going along with it when they are involved at grass roots level, then when they get where they want to be with the fame and fortune bit they either totally dismiss any involvment in their scene or pull it to pieces and take the piss.

In future i suggest the media either ask people with the true passions for a subject or stay the f*** away.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It was that bad, Mike as they had every opportunity to make a brilliant documentary. But like every other meeja twat that has a go, shot themselves in the foot............they had no excuse - the material was there on a plate for them - :( surely to God, there must be enough enterprising types on this website with production/ media experience who could do a better job with their eyes shut, their hands tied behind their backs and a Gimp mask on........ :( Jo

was it that bad ?

sure memory was it wasn't great but seen a lot worse "efforts" than it

sure got it in real format somewhere

throw it up if can find it if not too big

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

That's the whole point, Mark. They did ask people with a real passion for the scene, music etc and chose to ignore their opinions completely..........as it wasn't sensational enough material for them, they re-wrote the script.........anyway, I must walk away from this topic before the blood spurts out of my ears and I start spitting feathers :( Life's too short.......Jo

In future i suggest the media either ask people with the true passions for a subject or stay the f*** away.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Why don't we all just log on to the BBC website at the same time and tell them it was the biggest piece of shit documentary on soul music ever?, in fact I did do that not long after it but got no reply, perhaps we don't really want them poking their stupid noses into our scene anyway :(

Lenny

Social source share

Wouldn't radio be a better medium to go into the scene in more depth? TV is a visual medium so film is required, not much film of the 70s scene, just that This England as far as I know.

On radio its origins could be discussed, different sounds from the different clubs and possibly a rational discussion of the splits in the scene, or is that just impossible? But would anyone listen, apart from those reading this message?

TV will always concentrate on showing dancing, not really interesting for non soulies after a couple of minutes, and very short soundbites, the way Jo was shown is a classic example.

To be honest can't remember too much of the Trevor Nelson programme, but these people have a different agenda, not love of the music, but they want a programme that will get viewers (to keep the advertisers happy). Not too worried how they get it, and if they don't understand something it doesn't stop them, not worried about getting things right, after all the truth isn't that important is it?

I suppose all minority music is treated in this way, not really sure how much of an audience there is for soul music in general.

Social source share

Why don't we all just log on to the BBC website at the same time and tell them it was the biggest piece of shit documentary on soul music ever?, in fact I did do that not long after it but got no reply, perhaps we don't really want them poking their stupid noses into our scene anyway :D

Lenny

Cos it was on Channel 4 :D

Social source share

Keeping it real is what its all about. Just like Westwood.....born and raised in the ghetto.

(though piss taking aside he has done a lot for the promotion of hip hop in this country apparently......whether thats your thang or not)

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Vivienne or Tim????????? :lol:

you've forgotten that Trevor Nelson is all about RnB and not soul
:lol:

there's a pretty big difference there

anyway, Westwood is better - understand that!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

anyway, Westwood is better - understand that!

He is a stroker of the highest order. Flogging is too good for both him and Nelson. Dey ain't showin' no respeck kno wot A mean?

I remember when they did that "soul" night on BBC 2 a few years back, in a fantastic bit of racist ignorance they only interviewed black British people like Jazzy B (?) and Oswald Boateng about soul music as clearly they will know all about it and no white person would, yeah, right, and then devoted 2 hours to Michael frickin' Jackson, who I don't recall ever making a soul record.

Clueless bunch of twats.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Stuart, you put that so perfectly - I rest my case m'lud :thumbsup: ........is that 'down on the up stroke' :yes: Jo

Clueless bunch of twats.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!