• Replies 24
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

OK, let's try again.

To celebrate the release of the last 2 of Harmless's 15th Anniversary releases - "The Breaks" and "Mellow Mellow", we took the opportunity to interview compiler extraordinaire Dean Rudland who compiled both albums.

We thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to quiz one of the best compilers in the game and see what makes him tick. The interviews cover Dean's introduction into record collecting via the London Mod revival scene and his subsequent musical evolvement which weaved through Mod, Soul, R'n'B, Jazz, Northern Soul and numerous other musical styles, all of which has lead him to the point today where he's considered to be one of the safest pair of hands in the musical curation business. It's a fascinating journey. Enjoy!

Ian D Interviews Dean Rudland Part 1

Ian D Interviews Dean Rudland Part 2

Parts 3 & 4 on the next post.........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Brilliant! Just watched the lot, fascinating stuff and I realized I had bought nearly all the compilations mentioned back in the late 90's and early 2000s as a twenty something just getting into soul/funk/jazz.

Social source share

Brilliant! Just watched the lot, fascinating stuff and I realized I had bought nearly all the compilations mentioned back in the late 90's and early 2000s as a twenty something just getting into soul/funk/jazz.

Great stuff Oli. Glad you enjoyed it mate. I think it's a really interesting insight into what makes different people tick and what rings their particular bell. Dean came along a decade and a half later than me and I'm fascinated by his story...........

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Dean Rudland Dingwalls about 1990 and me

That's what I looked like in 1970 albeit slightly better looking, with longer hair and with enough sophistication to drink out of a glass.........:hatsoff2:

Nice one Kev.

I think we did justice to Dean's story didn't we? It was pretty much as you see it. We didn't bother editing 'cos it flowed pretty freely......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Excellent interview with Dean

Ive got the Minnie Ripperton cd he compiled,didnt realise it was Dean

ill have to dig it out and have a read :D

Really great guy who i first met in the mid eighties

at Sneakers in Shepherds Bush no doubt.

Check out his latin comps as well

Al H :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Really interesting interview Ian.Have to say has a ex mod in 79-84 i kinda went throu the same musical path has Dean although i got into modern in the mid-late 80`s and didn`t do the hip-hop thing in the early 90`s.I think your find a few others on here came from the mod scene and maybe went throu a similar musical path give or take ,especailly some of the London lot.I did buy some of them comps especially in the early part of my collecting in early 90`s to be used has tapes to help hunt down the originals.Good luck with the new comps.

Social source share

Hi Mike,

Trouble is I couldn't see 'em at my end Mike - just big yawning gaps. I'll try loading 3 and see how I get on...........

Cheers mate.

Ian D :rolleyes:

for stuff longer than 15 mins maybe worth having a look at vimeo as well as youtube - as you can do a lot longer clips

and you can embedd in here as well

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

great stuff that, thanks for sticking it up. Turned the sound off the cricket to listen it which would probably not impress Eddie P.

would make a great series, bet everyone can think of someone they would enjoy listening to, prob need to interview yourself as well !..

nice one :rolleyes:

Social source share

for stuff longer than 15 mins maybe worth having a look at vimeo as well as youtube - as you can do a lot longer clips

and you can embedd in here as well

thumbsup.gif

Yep, that'd be handy Mike. I'm terrible with the technical part of this stuff and I'm fed up with editing down to 15 minute segments for You Tube so that sounds just the ticket.

So much technology to master and so little time........:rolleyes:

Social source share

great stuff that, thanks for sticking it up. Turned the sound off the cricket to listen it which would probably not impress Eddie P.

would make a great series, bet everyone can think of someone they would enjoy listening to, prob need to interview yourself as well !..

nice one :rolleyes:

Cheers Neil! I've found it's an increasingly better way to promote stuff in this day and age plus it gives us the opportunity to quiz people and look at the world behind some of these releases. I'm lucky because we have a production team and editing facilities upstairs so anytime I can snag 'em for a quick promo interview I'm right there. These days it's kind of essential to do this stuff since it goes worldwide immediately and it's a puts a human perspective behind each release. It's still early days and we can only get better but it's handy to have these interviews on file I think. I love to do something on Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff, Sigma Sound studios and the whole history of Neptune, Huff Puff, Gamble, P.I.R. for the P.I.R. 40th this year. If anyone knows any professional production houses which may be into a project like this then please let me know.......

Hopefully I'll persuade Sean Hampsey, Kev Roberts and a few others to contribute when the next set of Backbeats comes out! :thumbsup:

Ian D :ohmy:

Social source share

Ian , really enjoyed them , thanks for sharing , seems the sort of bloke you could have a pint with :thumbup:

Cheers

Swifty thumbsup.gif

He's the sort of bloke you can have several pints with. Very good company and he can talk for hours so great value LOL....

Dean's actually married to the twin sister of the guy who designs most of the Harmless and Backbeats sleeves, Jaffa, who's a serious Northern/Modern collector himself so we've been known to have some good sessions!

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Ian , really enjoyed them , thanks for sharing , seems the sort of bloke you could have a pint with :yes:

Cheers

Swifty thumbsup.gif

In agreement Ian , the clips were highly enjoyable and informative : thanks for sharing . :thumbup:

Malc

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!