Northern Soul Record Fair Attention All Record Dealers

Just checking the water on this idea, have a small venue in Greater Manchester for a Northern Soul Record Fair And Swap Meet, looking to do the first one in the summer either on a Saturday or Sunday Allday from about 2pm and perhaps go straight through into a soul night, looking firstly to see if there is any interest on this so can any dealers who fancy supporting this idea please get in contact with me via email - bicknellmark@aol.com 0161 330 6267 or via PM here, there will be a limited number of tables so will be worked on a first come first served basis, looking at £20.00 per 6ft table space, there will be an allday bar, food and refreshments and I'm sure will prove a success with enough notice and good promotion, John Manship has already reserved a pitch so a good solid start, will set up a sound system in the venue so sellers can play their tunes for sale, swap, trade and talk bollocks allday about records....bliss! will also invite the bring a small box ethic making in very much a collector dealer thing, so over to the record boys and girls then we can set the ball rolling on this, message to Des Parker will provide you with a nice bacon butty if you don't moan about the table prices lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Promotion for this event is going really well with plenty of flyers, posters etc. out there, still table space available for record dealers so please get in touch if you wish to book a table, contact bicknellmark@aol.com or telephone 0161 330 6267 or via PM here.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 115
  • Views 18k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was thinking about this very same idea the other day. A great idea and I lament the lack of black music record fairs (remember them!) outside of the capital. North London been one of the only ones I can think of still going? I know it's all t'internet these days but a regular black music fair would still do the business wouldn't it?

Great idea Mark. Keep us all posted. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I agree,i used to like the old school way of crate digging rather than buying on-line.Plus if there was a soul do to go to afterwards makes it all worthwhile with beer thrown in :rolleyes: Just think ,vinyl,beer and tunage...What more would you want..:ohmy::huh:

Plus Manchester is a good half way meeting point.I used to go to a fair there back in the early-mid 90`s,always found a few good tunes at good prices :thumbsup:

Social source share

Was thinking about this very same idea the other day. A great idea and I lament the lack of black music record fairs (remember them!) outside of the capital. North London been one of the only ones I can think of still going? I know it's all t'internet these days but a regular black music fair would still do the business wouldn't it?

Great idea Mark. Keep us all posted. :rolleyes:

I toyed with the idea a bit back and mentioned it on here but left it alone at that time, know it's been done in the past but certainly not in recent times, like I say have the venue just need to see what the interest is like and twenty or thirty delers to support the idea and we will be away with this.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest john s

Big George ran a few of these in Manchester a couple of years back, with a soul night afterwards. Pub in Salford, I think.

Didn't manage to make it up to those - will try to get to this one!

Social source share

Looking at a Saturday in July for this, feedback would be good and any further dealers who maybe interested in coming, further details and flyer to follow when I confirm date.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Get The Flyers Out Mark I'll Be Up For This!! :ohmy::thumbsup: Atb John.

Social source share

good call mark and probably a long time overdue....its just something you dont regularly hear of now...you could take them for granted just like normal record fairs but the last time i went to a proper black music fair was when the late chris savory used to run them ( wolverhampton in the cavendish suite was my local ) so yeah, go for it mate its a good socializing event as well.......AND OF COURSE, YOU GET TO HERE SOME DOGS B*****KS TUNES AS WELL!!:thumbsup::boxing::wicked::thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

Inspired chaps ok it's looking like either Saturday July 16th or Saturday July 30th, just waiting for confirmation on either of these dates then it will be a goer, the room is not massive holds about 120/30 for a function but setting the room up as a record swap meet and the stagger of people who would attend throughout the day I feel this is about the right size venue, we do have another smaller lounge away from the main room which we could use should dealer demand be greater but will see what response I get to fill the first room, yes Jim there are hotels in the area and plenty of park benches mate, more info to follow shortly.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I would be intrested in coming. Sounds a good idea.

Hope it would be like a record fair where you can talk with like minded people, and not feel you should be in the other room supporting a Soul night.

Social source share

Looking like it's going to be Saturday July 16th just waiting to get the green light on room hire and will get the promotion going on this, can all interested record dealers please get in touch with me either on 0161 330 6267 email bicknellmark@aol.com or via PM here, will be doing dealer table booking forms asap, deposit or payment upfront gonna be easy on that one, limited space so it will be on a first come first served basis, flyer, posters etc. will be ready shortly, anyone able to promote this on their travels also get in contact, more details to follow.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The plan is if the first one goes well to have possibly two or three a year, I will certainly make every effort to make it work, it will certainly be well promoted but at the end of the day it's up to dealers and collectors to embrace and support the event and the early signs are that this will be the case.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I'll be re-starting my fair later in the year (we've had the venue sorted out long before this thread came up, but we've had to wait for it to be ready to use), in the centre of Manchester on a Saturday afternoon - we're planning to do 4 per year and it will not be restricted to soul or 45s. No reason why there can't be a few events in the area as far as I'm concerned though, more the merrier really within reason since most of the record shops are crap.

Social source share

First flyer just one small mistake which will be changed says 1ftx6ft table should read 1x6ft table, minor mistake but just thought I'd mention it, George had no idea you were still running your fairs so in no way did I wish to steal your thunder or step on anyones toes but not seen any press on yours so thought I would run with it, we did one years ago in Denton and never followed it through with another one, will see how the first one goes and like you say room for everyone as they are so rare these days.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

No worries Mark, putting on a record fair isn't an original idea!

Haven't done one in a year or two, and haven't started promoting the new version either.

Ours will be more like a general black music fair with some psych etc for sale too.

I should hopefully be there in July.

Social source share

No worries Mark, putting on a record fair isn't an original idea!

Haven't done one in a year or two, and haven't started promoting the new version either.

Ours will be more like a general black music fair with some psych etc for sale too.

I should hopefully be there in July.

Really decent of you George to have this attitude, think there is room for one or two of these and maybe if all goes well we could bounce one off each other, you watch now they will pop up everywhere lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest millsmod

Can you email me a flyer and I'll put it up on facebook...will be great for me only in Ashton......cheers andy

millsmod@hotmail.com

Social source share

And finally for now the colour version of the flyer, feel free to spread the word on this one, again any dealers/collectors wishing to book a table please contact me asap with full details, address etc. and I will post out an information pack and booking form.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-0-66383300-1302006461_thumb.jp

Social source share

Hi Mark, please put a table down for me and Beggsy, next to Des if possible :hatsoff2:

Are you gonna advertise in local press etc, cus ideally you need a good attendance from the general public as well as those 'on the scene' so to speak.

Will also give it a push on Modculture for ya later :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Reserved for you Mace and next to Mr Parker when he books, bloody hell gonna cost me a fortune what with bacon butties for Des and beer for you and Mr Beggs, yes will be blanket advertising, local soul nights, allnighters, record shops in Manchester, here on Soul Source, Facbook Event page etc. etc. John Manship is putting it on his site, brilliant if you can put it on that Mod site.

PM me address and will get booking package and details off to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Hi Mark

If ya not a dealer are smaller 70 count boxes permited to trade/sell etc!!

I personally wouldnt mind making a donation to the cause

No probs if not

Nige

Yes Nige no problem infact it's mentioned on the flyer, small single count boxes welcome and a must have part of the day, very much brings the swap meet part of the event into play, just pay the £3.00 admission with a opitional choice if you want to make a donation to the 'Hyde Fc Football In The Community Fund' that way it's a level playing field for everyone, major dealers and the collectors, will set up a couple of small collector/swap stations subject to space where casual sellers can meet/swap/trade.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Reserved for you Mace and next to Mr Parker when he books, bloody hell gonna cost me a fortune what with bacon butties for Des and beer for you and Mr Beggs, yes will be blanket advertising, local soul nights, allnighters, record shops in Manchester, here on Soul Source, Facbook Event page etc. etc. John Manship is putting it on his site, brilliant if you can put it on that Mod site.

PM me address and will get booking package and details off to you.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Free beer.....kinnel sounds better by the minute :hatsoff2:

Just posted on Modculture for ya.

Will P.M. my addy, send us plenty of flyers with booking details.

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgit

Good luck with this Mark, hope it's a great success for you and Hyde United F.C.! will be there can't wait, cheers Jim.

Social source share

Good luck with this Mark, hope it's a great success for you and Hyde United F.C.! will be there can't wait, cheers Jim.

No luck needed mate with people like yourself, Mace, Nige Brown, Geoff Claxton, Simon Hunt, Andy Dyson, Chalky, Des Parker, Johnny Beggs, Phil Dick, Johnny Manship and everyone else has so far posted on this thread the early buzz on this looks good and I've not really started the promotion yet, will make every effort to make it a fun day, few beers or a lot in your case Jim lol nice food, tons of records to look through and good company I'm sure it will be a good event, just hope Des Parker likes his bacon butty.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share