Reggae Concert - Edinburgh Festival 1973

I have just watched a 'lost' episode of The Old Grey Whistle Test featuring a whole reggae concert filmed at the Edinburgh Festival in 1973. Featured artists included Nicky Thomas, The Pioneers (who oddly did Soul covers), Denis Alcapone and The Cimarons, Winston Groovy, The Marvels & Malaka and hosted by none other that the big fella himself Judge Dread.

Has anyone else seen this, does anyone remember it airing and more importantly was anyone on here at the 'gig'?

Mick

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have just watched a 'lost' episode of The Old Grey Whistle Test featuring a whole reggae concert filmed at the Edinburgh Festival in 1973. Featured artists included Nicky Thomas, The Pioneers (who oddly did Soul covers), Denis Alcapone and The Cimarons, Winston Groovy, The Marvels & Malaka and hosted by none other that the big fella himself Judge Dread.

Has anyone else seen this, does anyone remember it airing and more importantly was anyone on here at the 'gig'?

Mick

Watched it when it was shown 4 weeks back. Some people on the reggae forums say they can remember it originally airing but I still can't see OGWT airing 45 minutes of reggae in one program, especially as it was such a minority interest back then, and the program only ran for 30 mins anyway I think.

Social source share

Pete

Didn't know it was shown 4 weeks ago - assume then it was shown as part of the Reggae Brittania week which is strange as I don't recall seeing this in the line-up (must have missed it somehow). It's logical to assume thats when it was recorded for the DVD I've been given.

Anyway, to your other point about its original showing - I sort of agree with you because my recollection of OGTW is as a showcase for rock - the first time I ever saw any reggae artist on it was when the (original) Wailers came on and did Stir It Up which certainly was after the Edinburgh show.

Nice to see it after all these years though.

Mick

Social source share

Pete

Didn't know it was shown 4 weeks ago - assume then it was shown as part of the Reggae Brittania week which is strange as I don't recall seeing this in the line-up (must have missed it somehow). It's logical to assume thats when it was recorded for the DVD I've been given.

Anyway, to your other point about its original showing - I sort of agree with you because my recollection of OGTW is as a showcase for rock - the first time I ever saw any reggae artist on it was when the (original) Wailers came on and did Stir It Up which certainly was after the Edinburgh show.

Nice to see it after all these years though.

Mick

Mick it was on the friday night, one of the last things they showed. Enjoyed Dennis Alcapone and Nicky Thomas, thought the backing band (The Cimarrons I think) were really good too, very versatile. Agree with you about The Wailers by the way.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert