Soul Salvation This Saturday 8th October

Quinvy

THIS SATURDAY NIGHT 8th OCTOBER AT THE PALATINE CLUB, NORFOLK STREET, NELSON, LANCS. [behind morrisons] THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND NIGHT WE'VE HAD, MISSED LAST MONTH TO AVOID CLASHING WITH OTHER EVENTS. THE FIRST ONE WAS A CORKER, SO IF YOU MISSED IT DON'T MISS THIS. IT'S A FANTASTIC VENUE WITH A LARGE MAPLE DANCE FLOOR, SUPERB SOUND SYSTEM AND THE CHEAPEST BAR IN THE COUNTRY. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE MUSIC POLICY IS STRICTLY 6Ts UPFRONT, RARE AND QUALITY SOUL. RECORD DEALERS ARE VERY WELCOME.

OK WE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS LAST TIME, MAIN ONE BEING IT WAS TOO DARK TO SEE THE RECORDS FOR SALE. THIS HAS BEEN SORTED, AS I'VE BEEN OUT AND BOUGHT SOME LIGHTING, AND SPECIAL TABLES FOR THE DEALERS WILL BE AVAILABLE THIS TIME.

THE CLUB HAS ALSO HAD A COMPLAINT FROM A LOCAL RESIDENT, [nothing to do with our night] BUT AS A RESULT THEIR EXTENTION HAS BEEN RECINDED. THIS UNFORTUNATELY MEANS WE HAVE TO FINISH AT ONE A.M. INSTEAD OF TWO A.M.

SO WE WILL BE RUNNING 8pm-1am £5 ON THE DOOR. I'M STILL HOPING PEOPLE WILL BE WILLING TO TRAVEL, BUT I WILL BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER VENUE THAT CAN STAY OPEN LATER. IT REALLY IS A SHAME THOUGH BECAUSE THE VENUE IS SUPERB.

DJs ON THE NIGHT WILL BE :- JEFF BUCKLY, FRED KROL, PHIL KOWALSKI and CLIFF CAMFIELD. OUR VERY SPECIAL GUEST WILL BE MICK H. IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER VENUE WITH BETTER MUSIC PLEASE LET ME KNOW, BECAUSE THAT'S WHY I'VE STARTED THIS NIGHT. I'M TIRED OF TRAILING ROUND THE COUNTRY HOPING TO HEAR SOMETHING NEW AND QUALITY. BUT AM MAINLY VERY DISAPOINTED AND SKINT.

DIRECTIONS. FROM M65, EXIT AT JUNCTION 13.

AT ROUNABOUT TAKE THE A6068 FENCE ROAD

AFTER 200YDS. ROUNDABOUT. TAKE THE 1st LEFT NELSON

GO DOWN HILL - WATCH OUT FOR SPEED CAMERA - CONTINUE UNDER MOTORWAY,

TAKE THIRD TURING ON LEFT - NORFOLK STREET

CAR PARK BEYOND CLUB, OR IF FULL [i wish] CONTINUE TO END OF STREET, TURN RIGHT, AND PARK IN MORRISONS.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE FOR , FANTASTIC MUSIC, CHEAP BOOZE, TOP TUNES FOR SALE AND A VERY WARM WELCOME. :D:D

FOR MORE INFO TEL. PHIL 01282 814058 or 07967 651255 mobile.

Edited by quinvy
  • Replies 79
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

THIS SATURDAY NIGHT 8th OCTOBER AT THE PALATINE CLUB, NORFOLK STREET, NELSON, LANCS. [behind morrisons] THIS IS ONLY THE SECOND NIGHT WE'VE HAD, MISSED LAST MONTH TO AVOID CLASHING WITH OTHER EVENTS. THE FIRST ONE WAS A CORKER, SO IF YOU MISSED IT DON'T MISS THIS. IT'S A FANTASTIC VENUE WITH A LARGE MAPLE DANCE FLOOR, SUPERB SOUND SYSTEM AND THE CHEAPEST BAR IN THE COUNTRY. NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE MUSIC POLICY IS STRICTLY 6Ts UPFRONT, RARE AND QUALITY SOUL. RECORD DEALERS ARE VERY WELCOME.

OK WE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS LAST TIME, MAIN ONE BEING IT WAS TOO DARK TO SEE THE RECORDS FOR SALE. THIS HAS BEEN SORTED, AS I'VE BEEN OUT AND BOUGHT SOME LIGHTING, AND SPECIAL TABLES FOR THE DEALERS WILL BE AVAILABLE THIS TIME.

THE CLUB HAS ALSO HAD A COMPLAINT FROM A LOCAL RESIDENT, [nothing to do with our night] BUT AS A RESULT THEIR EXTENTION HAS BEEN RECINDED. THIS UNFORTUNATELY MEANS WE HAVE TO FINISH AT ONE A.M. INSTEAD OF TWO A.M.

SO WE WILL BE RUNNING 8pm-1am £5 ON THE DOOR. I'M STILL HOPING PEOPLE WILL BE WILLING TO TRAVEL, BUT I WILL BE LOOKING FOR ANOTHER VENUE THAT CAN STAY OPEN LATER. IT REALLY IS A SHAME THOUGH BECAUSE THE VENUE IS SUPERB.

DJs ON THE NIGHT WILL BE :- JEFF BUCKLY, FRED KROL, PHIL KOWALSKI and CLIFF CAMFIELD. OUR VERY SPECIAL GUEST WILL BE MICK H. IF YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER VENUE WITH BETTER MUSIC PLEASE LET ME KNOW, BECAUSE THAT'S WHY I'VE STARTED THIS NIGHT. I'M TIRED OF TRAILING ROUND THE COUNTRY HOPING TO HEAR SOMETHING NEW AND QUALITY. BUT AM MAINLY VERY DISAPOINTED AND SKINT.

DIRECTIONS. FROM M65, EXIT AT JUNCTION 13.

AT ROUNABOUT TAKE THE A6068 FENCE ROAD

AFTER 200YDS. ROUNDABOUT. TAKE THE 1st LEFT NELSON

GO DOWN HILL - WATCH OUT FOR SPEED CAMERA - CONTINUE UNDER MOTORWAY,

TAKE THIRD TURING ON LEFT - NORFOLK STREET

CAR PARK BEYOND CLUB, OR IF FULL [i wish] CONTINUE TO END OF STREET, TURN RIGHT, AND PARK IN MORRISONS.

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE FOR , FANTASTIC MUSIC, CHEAP BOOZE, TOP TUNES FOR SALE AND A VERY WARM WELCOME. :D:D

FOR MORE INFO TEL. PHIL 01282 814058 or 07967 651255 mobile.

Bloody hell, not getting much feedback. Is anyone on hear thinking of comming?

Guest sharynm

we will be there! music at the last one was brilliant. Shame about the 1.00am finish but didn't want a wild weekend this week anyway :wicked:

we will be there! music at the last one was brilliant. Shame about the 1.00am finish but didn't want a wild weekend this week anyway :thumbsup:
Thanks for the support, so many people moan that there's nowhere to hear upfront 6ts soul, myself included. So I started my own night, but don't get the support.

Believe me, if Carlesberg did soul nights, they wouldn't be a patch on SOUL SALVATION. :thumbsup:

Good luck, and I hope that some of the moaners make the effort to pop along and enjoy your night :thumbsup:

From what I can gather not many travel for a soul night now days, well when I say travel I mean more than 1-2 hours is the most many will do, there's only a few nutters like myself who still drives 6+ hours for them from time to time :thumbsup:

Good luck, and I hope that some of the moaners make the effort to pop along and enjoy your night :thumbsup:

From what I can gather not many travel for a soul night now days, well when I say travel I mean more than 1-2 hours is the most many will do, there's only a few nutters like myself who still drives 6+ hours for them from time to time :ohmy:

Thanks Janine, how's the Bernard Williams going down in your spot?

6 hours driving? :thumbsup: bloody hell, it must be a long way to Snowland :unsure:

I would happily travel for a night of this quality, sadly there are none, that's why I started this one :thumbsup: if you know what I mean.

Not been behind the decks for a while now, started turning down spots a few months ago because of the bitching :ohmy: only one im doing this year is Soulsville dayer :thumbsup:

Prestwich, Bury & Brighouse soul nights can take me anywhere up to 8+ hours to get to sometimes, all depends on the traffic on a Friday! Off to the monkey in a few weeks time in Wales (a good 5 hours) and Bury, Friday nights are just a killer, doesnt seem to matter what time of day I leave one of the motorways will be at a standstill :D Snowland on the other hand is only 10 seconds away in my mind :unsure: you should visit sometime :thumbsup: Let us have the dates for future nights and will see if I can waggel getting away one friday morning from Kent :thumbsup:

Not been behind the decks for a while now, started turning down spots a few months ago because of the bitching :D only one im doing this year is Soulsville dayer :thumbsup:

Prestwich, Bury & Brighouse soul nights can take me anywhere up to 8+ hours to get to sometimes, all depends on the traffic on a Friday! Off to the monkey in a few weeks time in Wales (a good 5 hours) and Bury, Friday nights are just a killer, doesnt seem to matter what time of day I leave one of the motorways will be at a standstill :D Snowland on the other hand is only 10 seconds away in my mind :D you should visit sometime :thumbsup: Let us have the dates for future nights and will see if I can waggel getting away one friday morning from Kent :thumbsup:

Flippin' eck Janine, You must love the oldies nights. Prestwich, Bury and Brighouse. :unsure: Those venues are the reason for Soul Salvation. No offence, but assume you must go to these nights for the social side, and not the music. :(

Next dates are saturday 19th november guest Andy Dyson and Saturday 17th december guest Andy Hutchins who's comming up from Bristol, how's that for commitment? :ohmy: Would be great if you could make it to one. Best Wishes, Phil.

Flippin' eck Janine, You must love the oldies nights. Prestwich, Bury and Brighouse. :( Those venues are the reason for Soul Salvation. No offence, but assume you must go to these nights for the social side, and not the music. :(

Why must she go for the social side?and the social side is part and parcel of a good night out IMO, who wants to go somewhere and sit in a corner all night alone? Whats wrong with likeing oldies? Just look at numbers though the doors at Bury, Prestwich or Kings Hall and before I am accused of being a dinosaur I go to all sorts of nights including Oldies and Rare nights.

Guest ShaneH

They may think you are a bit too arrogant. All this talk of no decents events anywhere but yours and the denouncing of the 'big' events such as Bury, Prestwich and Stoke isn't going to win you many friends in my opinion.

What about the Greatstone and Soul or Nothing - quality soul nights!

To put it another way - I wasn't sold on your PR tactics regardless of the music on offer.

Let the music and punters do the talking.....you should just encourage it and not attack everything else on offer.

Thats my idea of a promoter.

Shane

Guest sharynm

They may think you are a bit too arrogant. All this talk of no decents events anywhere but yours and the denouncing of the 'big' events such as Bury, Prestwich and Stoke isn't going to win you many friends in my opinion.

To put it another way - I wasn't sold on your PR tactics regardless of the music on offer.

Let the music and punters do the talking.....you should just encourage it and not attack everything else on offer.

Shane

Think you may have taken his mail the wrong way Shane, he's a very nice man :(

xxxxx

Guest ShaneH

I am sure Quinvy is a nice bloke. its just that i think you have to be a bit more careful how you word things at times. I am sure Quinvy meant no harm at all but it did look like a bit of an attack on other events/promoters/punters. I know the Greatstone lads/Steve Cato work very hard to promote there events with the attitude of offering something different.

We have had the 'biggest and best' attitude before on here and it doesnt go down well at all.

Maybe a play-list from the residents would help sell the event rather than 'we play good stuff you cant hear anywhere else'.

Good luck with the events though.

Shane

Guest sharynm

I am sure Quinvy is a nice bloke. its just that i think you have to be a bit more careful how you word things at times. I am sure Quinvy meant no harm at all but it did look like a bit of an attack on other events/promoters/punters. I know the Greatstone lads/Steve Cato work very hard to promote there events with the attitude of offering something different.

We have had the 'biggest and best' attitude before on here and it doesnt go down well at all.

Maybe a play-list from the residents would help sell the event rather than 'we play good stuff you cant hear anywhere else'.

Good luck with the events though.

Shane

ha! you've got me there, nobody is as nice as that lovely Mr Cato, in fact I still owe him a roast dinner!

xx

Guest Neil Taylor
this sounds a fantastic night,i`m speaking to my partners in crime later and i think we`re gonna come over.rare 6ts upfront soul certainly gives me wood :D .......1 o`clock finish being the only downer.... :angry:

Shane

Sorry Shane,

I wasn't knocking those events, I was just saying that they don't do it for me personally. I have been to the Greatstone quite a lot over the past few months, in order to give it a fair try. I think the venue is great, and the crowd very friendly, but musically only heard a few tunes that did anything for me. Also,soul or nothing, I've attended most of these. The venue is excellent, and like everyone else have nothing but respest for Mr. Cato. I do think that some of the djs have killed the night, and it's a good job that they were only on for half an hour. On the other hand some have been fantastic, and I've danced myself silly.Also, because of the location, you do get some strange sorts comming in.

What I'm actually trying to do is create something different. To me the scene is all about dancing to great music. Something different if possible. It just feels to me when you go to most venues, that nobody is trying to play something exciting. Too many of us just sitting/ standing about. Dancers give the place atmosphere, and are the people to play to.

Anyway, what I was trying to do was get a buzz going about the event. Not insult anyone.

Best Regards, Phil.

Guest ShaneH

Sorry Shane,

I wasn't knocking those events, I was just saying that they don't do it for me personally. I have been to the Greatstone quite a lot over the past few months, in order to give it a fair try. I think the venue is great, and the crowd very friendly, but musically only heard a few tunes that did anything for me. Also,soul or nothing, I've attended most of these. The venue is excellent, and like everyone else have nothing but respest for Mr. Cato. I do think that some of the djs have killed the night, and it's a good job that they were only on for half an hour. On the other hand some have been fantastic, and I've danced myself silly.Also, because of the location, you do get some strange sorts comming in.

What I'm actually trying to do is create something different. To me the scene is all about dancing to great music. Something different if possible. It just feels to me when you go to most venues, that nobody is trying to play something exciting. Too many of us just sitting/ standing about. Dancers give the place atmosphere, and are the people to play to.

Anyway, what I was trying to do was get a buzz going about the event. Not insult anyone.

Best Regards, Phil.

sound phil. will try and get over for one mate. best of luck.

Shane

:D

Why must she go for the social side?and the social side is part and parcel of a good night out IMO, who wants to go somewhere and sit in a corner all night alone? Whats wrong with likeing oldies? Just look at numbers though the doors at Bury, Prestwich or Kings Hall and before I am accused of being a dinosaur I go to all sorts of nights including Oldies and Rare nights.
Sorry Karen, But where do you think the scene is going to go with this kind of event. Where are the inovators. There is no Stafford to save us from becoming a stale retro scene. I am trying to do something about it. And if that means ruffling a few feathers then so be it. Appathy will kill it for good. And if I fail :D I'll hold my hands up and say you were right all along. Just my own opinion of course. :D Best Regards, Phil. Edited by quinvy

this sounds a fantastic night,i`m speaking to my partners in crime later and i think we`re gonna come over.rare 6ts upfront soul certainly gives me wood :D .......1 o`clock finish being the only downer.... :angry:

Thanks Funkinsoul, hope you can make it. The 1am finish has hit me hard, and I'm looking in to other venues, and maybe re- aplying for an extension, because this venue is the dogs doo-dahs. Phil.

Sorry Karen, But where do you think the scene is going to go with this kind of event. Where are the inovators. There is no Stafford to save us from becoming a stale retro scene. I am trying to do something about it. And if that means ruffling a few feathers then so be it. Appathy will kill it for good. And if I fail :D I'll hold my hands up and say you were right all along. Just my own opinion of course. :D Best Regards, Phil.

Had a listned to your radio program t`other day,played now`t but oldies,inovation out the window then??,as for Stafford and inovation,dont know about that i never went, :D

Had a listned to your radio program t`other day,played now`t but oldies,inovation out the window then??,as for Stafford and inovation,dont know about that i never went, :D
WHAT RADIO PROGRAM?????? I AIN'T DONE ONE KENNETH :angry: Pray tell me more, a certain person asked me to do one, but I never heard owt else about it.

Sorry Karen, But where do you think the scene is going to go with this kind of event. Where are the inovators. There is no Stafford to save us from becoming a stale retro scene. I am trying to do something about it. And if that means ruffling a few feathers then so be it. Appathy will kill it for good. And if I fail :D I'll hold my hands up and say you were right all along. Just my own opinion of course. :D Best Regards, Phil.

I have no idea where the scene is going to go, same as anyone else has, we can only guess :D Personally I believe that as long as there is a scene a big part of it will be a retro scene, with music predominately from the 1960's it is to be expected IMO. Ruffle feathers by all means but your posts did come across, to me at least as knocking other venues and the people who attend them.

Inovators..... well Lifeline for one :D

Stafford the saviour, well I wouldn't know about that :D

I hope you don't fail, I hope the night is a great success the same as I hope everyone elses nights are :D

I have no idea where the scene is going to go, same as anyone else has, we can only guess :D Personally I believe that as long as there is a scene a big part of it will be a retro scene, with music predominately from the 1960's it is to be expected IMO. Ruffle feathers by all means but your posts did come across, to me at least as knocking other venues and the people who attend them.

Inovators..... well Lifeline for one :D

Stafford the saviour, well I wouldn't know about that :D

I hope you don't fail, I hope the night is a great success the same as I hope everyone elses nights are :D

HMMMM, being as I have attended all those events and would hope to call many of the people who go to em my friends. It doesn't mean that they don't frustrate me with being so backward looking. So I've stopped going to them, and am trying to get others to be more demanding. If you go somewhere and don't enjoy it, but still go back there next time because that's where your mates are going, well, how will the promoters know you arn't enjoying what's on offer? On the subject of Lifeline I couldn't agree more, SUPERB events. Only problem is they havn't been on for a while, and I've been missing it badly. That's another reason why I started Soul Salvation, and have tried to book all the djs from Lifeline to play. Don't think I was knocking other events and their punters, just the music policy. But that's just my humble opinion.

WHAT RADIO PROGRAM?????? I AIN'T DONE ONE KENNETH :angry: Pray tell me more, a certain person asked me to do one, but I never heard owt else about it.

The soul show with Gary H,sept 11th t`is you isnt it? :D

Guest Richard Bergman

Sorry Shane,

Best Regards, Phil.

Well it's all about opinions , some are right some are wrong , and at the end of the day your a promoter of an event so a snipe here and there against other local(ish) nights doesnt do any harm (it's not rocket science , you won't be the last promoter to do it I'm sure)

Lets hope your night is a good one , but I've lost count of venues that have claimed to be" trying something different" and in the cold light of day are not but are just living on a boast and a prayer

Anyway all the best for the weekend , and btw who are the strange types ? People on this forum me included pay thousands of pounds a year on records nobody wanted when they were recorded , gawd lord some people even dance and wear the same clothes they did 20/25 years ago - Who are the strange ones again ?

Edited by Richard Bergman
Guest ShaneH

Well it's all about opinions , some are right some are wrong , and at the end of the day your a promoter of an event so a snipe here and there against other local(ish) nights doesnt do any harm (it's not rocket science , you won't be the last promoter to do it I'm sure)

Lets hope your night is a good one , but I've lost count of venues that have claimed to be" trying something different" and in the cold light of day are not but are just living on a boast and a prayer

Anyway all the best for the weekend , and btw who are the strange types ? People on this forum me included pay thousands of pounds a year on records nobody wanted when they were recorded , gawd lord some people even dance and wear the same clothes they did 20/25 years ago - Who are the strange ones again ?

love that last paragraph Rich :D

Shane

I know Phil quite well .... and believe me insulting or offending people is something he would never intentionally do.

It's hard when you're not talking to somebody directly to put across exactly what it is you're trying to say. Sometimes, what you say doesn't quite come across in the way you intended it to come across .... like here.

I went to the first one and have got to say it's an absolutely brilliant venue and the music played was nothing short of incredible!! In fact it was better than incredible. It was that good.

Somebody mentioned earlier in the thread about posting up a playlist so people can see for themselves what to expect to hear if they do go.

I agree ..... and i'm sure Phil will be more than happy to do so. I'll also get my thinking hat on and try and remember what was played last time and post it up later.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, this next one is on the same night as Soul or Nothing ...... AAAAARRRGHHHH !!

Sorry Shane,

Best Regards, Phil.

Hi Phil,

Watched and read with interest this thread over the last couple of days. This is the sort of stuff that should be on here all the time. People, i hope, voicing their honest opinions about the music we love.

One thing though does confuse me a little Phil, you say you have visited the Greatstone & Soul Or Nothing, and found nothing or very little, to interest you musically. If that's the case, in the interest of balance could you tell us what would 'do it for you'!!.Basically you have just told us what you dont like about the scene 'musically'!!.

Believe me i'm not on here to justify or defend the music policy at the Greatstone, because we don't have one,silly bugger me, we just let the Dj's play what they want.Soul Sam,Keith Money, Arthur Fenn, Mick H & Stevie Z.....etc to name a few so far this year, think its a good idea!!, but hey they may be wrong !! Thats not the full picture either,we encorage local collectors/Dj's to come and play as well,to keep things fresh, and keep the balance right. As mentioned earlier in the thread people are travelling from all parts of the country,to visit,and listen to quality under-played rarities so we assume the format is good,but you will never get it just right for everybody, so some people don't come back, their choice!, and we certainly would not critise their opinions or tastes.

I think like you, we want to be surprised by what people want to play and hear, most of the time we want to be pleasantly surprised, but hey we are all human beings with different tastes, and long may our choice to vote with our feet continue.

So Phil, out of genuine interest, why don't you post up some of the playlists from your last night to give us a fuller picture of your musical tastes.It would be good to compare notes. Because the way it stands at the moment, you have either heard everthing that has ever been played before, and are bored with it, or, you want to hear brand new 'discoveries' every time you step into a venue!!!.

Anyway, keep the thread going,good stuff.

By the way Phil have a good night Saturday, hope you get a good few in :D . We are off to Soulsville Friday, and Soul Or Nothing Saturday, spinnin a few too, hope i don't disappoint too many peeople :D

Soulfully.....Tony

Edited by Tony Jackson

Here we go ..... Some of what was played at the first Soulvation, Nelson.

Celebrities - I Choose you - Boss

Willie Tee - i'm having so much fun - Gatur

King Curtis - Got to keep ya baby - Smoke

Vivien Carol - Oh yeah yeah yeah - Merben

Cody Black - Its our time - Gig

Professionals - That's why i love you - Groove City

Masqueraders - Same thing - Soul town

Fortson & Scott - Sweet lover - Pzazz

Montclairs - Hey you - Arch

Al Williams - I am nothing - La Beat

Appointments - I saw you there - Delite

Deltours - Sweet and lovely - Starville

Lovers - Without a doubt - Frantic

Andy Fisher - Hearts beating stronger - Fat Fish

Jimmy James - Tell you all about my girl - Circle M

Herman Lewis - Who's kissing you tonight - Mercury/Stone Blue ( not sure)

Robert Tanner - Sweet memories - Megatone

Honey Bees - Get back together - Garrison

Little Stanley - Out a site lovin - Vance

Johhny Rogers - Make a change - Amon

Jackie Day - Naughty boy - Phelectron

Mr Lucky - Born to love you - Stardom

Clara Hardy - I dream of you - Tuna

Damon Fox - Packin up - Fairmount

Mr Soul - What happened to yesterday - Genuine

JJ Jackso c/u - Too much love

Groovettes - Think it over baby - Rennes

Mar Js - Got to find a way out - Magic touch

Soul Inc - My Proposal - Coconut Groove

Joe Jamma - My Life - Optimum

John & Wierdest - Get over these memories - Tie

Obviously not everything that was played .... but enough to give you an idea.

You gotta admit .... a bit good!!

Guest Neil Taylor
Thanks Funkinsoul, hope you can make it. The 1am finish has hit me hard, and I'm looking in to other venues, and maybe re- aplying for an extension, because this venue is the dogs doo-dahs. Phil.
imo theres to many small town venues playing over played oldies week in week out.this scene needs venues like soul salvation,greatstones,and soul or nothing.its progressive and it keeps me coming out for more.last november i spent the month going to all the local gigs,and by the fourth week i could guess what the d.j was going to play next.we`ve just had a fantastic night last saturday at the george in county durham,playing mostly upfront 6ts soul. it was a winner.the next one is at the end of january.i know where your coming from mate and agree with what you have to say.the best gigs are when everyones dancing and the place is rocking,lets have more of it.......neil...(see ya saturday).
Guest Neil Taylor

Whats 'upfront' soul?.

Like the sound of this event but would take me about 5 hours to get to

Chas

quality rare soul-for instance"clip my wings"anetta archibald,the parisians"twinkle little star".that kind of thing mate.......

You got me laughing there Rich. I was thinking about Lloyd street not Greatstones, and in particalar the PIRATES that turned up a few weeks ago. One was pictured on here with kecks round ankles.Then there was the bloody huge bobbys with armoured vests,video cameras etc. And there's always the young uns' that hear the music, come down for a look, and stand on the dance floor complete with, bottle and cigarette, and proceed to have a conversation with one another while us NORMAL PEOPLE are trying to dance. AND, tuther week there were two georgous young women dancing, one wi' a ruck sack on an' tuther wi some kind of satchel. If that's not strange whistling.gif and I wish I could still get into the clothes that I wore 20/25 years ago.

Will you be coming on saturday then Rich :thumbsup: Best Regards, Phil.

imo theres to many small town venues playing over played oldies week in week out.this scene needs venues like soul salvation,greatstones,and soul or nothing.its progressive and it keeps me coming out for more.last november i spent the month going to all the local gigs,and by the fourth week i could guess what the d.j was going to play next.we`ve just had a fantastic night last saturday at the george in county durham,playing mostly upfront 6ts soul. it was a winner.the next one is at the end of january.i know where your coming from mate and agree with what you have to say.the best gigs are when everyones dancing and the place is rocking,lets have more of it.......neil...(see ya saturday).

Thanks Neil, you're my kinda guy. Knew I should have gone to that night in county durham when Joane said she was going. Hopefully I'll get to the next one. Introduce yourself on Saturday I'd like to buy you a pint.

Best, Phil.

Flippin' eck Joan, who played the Lovers? I was going to play that on Saturday. Never bloody heard half of them. Was too busy "promoting". Not all it's cracked up to be is it? promoting I mean. Phil.

Hi Phil,

Watched and read with interest this thread over the last couple of days. This is the sort of stuff that should be on here all the time. People, i hope, voicing their honest opinions about the music we love.

One thing though does confuse me a little Phil, you say you have visited the Greatstone & Soul Or Nothing, and found nothing or very little, to interest you musically. If that's the case, in the interest of balance could you tell us what would 'do it for you'!!.Basically you have just told us what you dont like about the scene 'musically'!!.

Believe me i'm not on here to justify or defend the music policy at the Greatstone, because we don't have one,silly bugger me, we just let the Dj's play what they want.Soul Sam,Keith Money, Arthur Fenn, Mick H & Stevie Z.....etc to name a few so far this year, think its a good idea!!, but hey they may be wrong !! Thats not the full picture either,we encorage local collectors/Dj's to come and play as well,to keep things fresh, and keep the balance right. As mentioned earlier in the thread people are travelling from all parts of the country,to visit,and listen to quality under-played rarities so we assume the format is good,but you will never get it just right for everybody, so some people don't come back, their choice!, and we certainly would not critise their opinions or tastes.

I think like you, we want to be surprised by what people want to play and hear, most of the time we want to be pleasantly surprised, but hey we are all human beings with different tastes, and long may our choice to vote with our feet continue.

So Phil, out of genuine interest, why don't you post up some of the playlists from your last night to give us a fuller picture of your musical tastes.It would be good to compare notes. Because the way it stands at the moment, you have either heard everthing that has ever been played before, and are bored with it, or, you want to hear brand new 'discoveries' every time you step into a venue!!!.

Anyway, keep the thread going,good stuff.

By the way Phil have a good night Saturday, hope you get a good few in :thumbsup: . We are off to Soulsville Friday, and Soul Or Nothing Saturday, spinnin a few too, hope i don't disappoint too many peeople whistling.gif

Soulfully.....Tony

I don't know Tony, maybe I'm looking for the impossible. But at least I'm lookin. I've been going out every weekend for a couple of years now, hungry for knowlage, to hear all those tunes that were played while I was off the scene. Unaware that it was still going to be honest. 90% of stuff played I usually know and the other 10% I don't really want to know. Then I've heard the odd dj who has done an hour of stuff I've never heard before. Trouble is I never wanted to hear it again. At the Greatstone I have heard some great stuff, don't get me wrong. Keith Money played a few nice tunes, as did Mick H. and Steve Z always plays some quality in his spot. But that's maybe 12 tunes all night. That I want to dance to. I know it's not really a dance venue, but all the same. I want to go out to a night and hear great tunes that make me want to dance, all night. Like I said, it may be imposible to acheive, but I'm gonna try. Should have called it UTOPIA maybe?

It has been done already, near as dam it. LIFELINE was as good as I've ever experianced. That's the kind of benchmark I'm aiming at.

You're having a larf Ken, me names Phil and I ain't never done a radio show. whistling.gif not guilty mate.

Best, Phil.

Sorry Quinvy,just thought it was you,the program was Gary H & Phil D honest mistake,me just getting me Phil`s mixed up!! :thumbsup:

An excellent selection of records, but not as progressive as the Greatstone Soul Club IMO,John and the Weirdest,Mr Soul,Al Williams,The Professionals and Soul Inc all tremendous sounds, but for me (and this is purely an honest opinion) they are played out (not knocking them, and i love anyone who loves em', but when i hear these i'm off to the bar while it empties .) , i guess one persons opinion of the term "Progressive" is so subjective that it makes the term almost meaningless.

Good luck with the venture Phil.

Brett

Edited by Brett
Guest Richard Bergman

You got me laughing there Rich. I was thinking about Lloyd street not Greatstones, and in particalar the PIRATES that turned up a few weeks ago. One was pictured on here with kecks round ankles.Then there was the bloody huge bobbys with armoured vests,video cameras etc. And there's always the young uns' that hear the music, come down for a look, and stand on the dance floor complete with, bottle and cigarette, and proceed to have a conversation with one another while us NORMAL PEOPLE are trying to dance. AND, tuther week there were two georgous young women dancing, one wi' a ruck sack on an' tuther wi some kind of satchel. If that's not strange whistling.gif and I wish I could still get into the clothes that I wore 20/25 years ago.

Will you be coming on saturday then Rich :thumbsup: Best Regards, Phil.

Heard about those pirates (blimey) , think it must have been an interloper from a fancy dress party upstairs.

Can't make it this saturday but will try and get over in the very near future,

No hard feelings , we all care about the music we love and want it to get the respect it deserves and no matter what anyone say's there room to accomodate most events and vriety is the spice of life by all counts

Richard

An excellent selection of records, but not as progressive as the Greatstone Soul Club IMO,John and the Weirdest,Mr Soul,Al Williams,The Professionals and Soul Inc all tremendous sounds, but for me (and this is purely an honest opinion) they are played out (not knocking them, and i love anyone who loves em', but when i hear these i'm off to the bar while it empties .) , i guess one persons opinion of the term "Progressive" is so subjective that it makes the term almost meaningless.

Good luck with the venture Phil.

Brett

Why does it have to always come down to 'my soul nite's better than your soul nite'?

Not once did i compare this nite to the Greatstone or any other nite.

All i intended to do was to give people an idea of what to expect to hear if they go.

I have no agenda in doing so ... i have nothing to do with the running of this or any venue.

I'm a punter .... i just go and dance.

No matter what you play ...... there'll always someone ready to put you down for it! We all know that!!

Hence the saying "you can't please all the people, all the time".

Does the fact that you've heard a record a lot make it any less of a good record?

Of course not.

What makes a GOOD record a GREAT record?

Well for me ..... it's a record that sounds as good the LAST time i heard it, as it did the FIRST time i heard it, no matter HOW MANY times i've heard it!

And in my oppinion ... those are five great soul records. But opinnions are like arseholes .... everyone's got one! whistling.gif

Come on guys .... the music is the star of the northern soul scene ... not any of us!

It's bigger than ANY VENUE .... ANY DJ ..... ANY EGO.

Surely that's one thing we can all agree on ..... :thumbsup:

And there's always the young uns' that hear the music, come down for a look, and stand on the dance floor complete with, bottle and cigarette, and proceed to have a conversation with one another while us NORMAL PEOPLE are trying to dance. AND, tuther week there were two georgous young women dancing, one wi' a ruck sack on an' tuther wi some kind of satchel. If that's not strange whistling.gif and I wish I could still get into the clothes that I wore 20/25 years ago.

No disrespect or having ago here Phil, but you should try encorage these people rather than shun them, Standing on the dance floor with bottles and cigs in hand is part of what they are used to, they dont know the 'rules' of our scene, as far as im aware this is the idea behind Soul or Nothing to introduce new people to our wonderful scene, all the best with your night :thumbsup:

Guest sharynm

Why does it have to always come down to 'my soul nite's better than your soul nite'?

Not once did i compare this nite to the Greatstone or any other nite.

All i intended to do was to give people an idea of what to expect to hear if they go.

I have no agenda in doing so ... i have nothing to do with the running of this or any venue.

I'm a punter .... i just go and dance.

No matter what you play ...... there'll always someone ready to put you down for it! We all know that!!

Hence the saying "you can't please all the people, all the time".

Does the fact that you've heard a record a lot make it any less of a good record?

Of course not.

What makes a GOOD record a GREAT record?

Well for me ..... it's a record that sounds as good the LAST time i heard it, as it did the FIRST time i heard it, no matter HOW MANY times i've heard it!

And in my oppinion ... those are five great soul records. But opinnions are like arseholes .... everyone's got one! whistling.gif

Come on guys .... the music is the star of the northern soul scene ... not any of us!

It's bigger than ANY VENUE .... ANY DJ ..... ANY EGO.

Surely that's one thing we can all agree on ..... :thumbsup:

couldn't have said it better myself. See you on Saturday, I'm sure we will be introduced as I'll be there with a friend of yours Joan :lol:

Guest ShaneH

No disrespect or having ago here Phil, but you should try encorage these people rather than shun them, Standing on the dance floor with bottles and cigs in hand is part of what they are used to, they dont know the 'rules' of our scene, as far as im aware this is the idea behind Soul or Nothing to introduce new people to our wonderful scene, all the best with your night whistling.gif

bang on baz.

i do honestly believe that Phil is being negative again with regards to Soul or Nothing. I accepted his apology last time and maybe I read it wrong but it seems to have continued

Phil listed 3 or 4 things that he didnt like about S.O.N. which wasn't called for at all. This really has turned into an attack on his local competition. He also said that he only heard about 12 records at the Greatstone he liked. I know everyone is allowed their own opinions but there should be a line drawn when it comes to promoters and public forums in my opinions. The Greatstone lads and Steve Cato are always as positive as possible and try to support as many venues as they can.

Out of order Phil in my opinion. Maybe I am over-reacting?

I would like to know what Joan thinks about Phil listing things considered to be rubbish about Soul or Nothing?

Shane

Have been watching this thread for a few days now. Having been to The Greatstone and Soul Or Nothing, I can say that they both serve up something different, all IMVHO of course.

Maybe just because every record isn't worth 4 figures, does that make it crap and un-dance-able??? It seems from the playlist that the only stuff you want to dance to, Phil, is a Mega-Rarity??

I really like the sound of your night, I too enjoy listening to different sounds, but another night that clashes with an established night in the Manchester area defeats the whole object to be honest.

I thought Lifeline/Sheridans was brilliant. But they ran every 2 months and very rarely got 250+ (I stand to be corrected here!). Do you think you are going to attract the numbers to fill out a 'specialist' night, because that's what it is, when it clashes with another night locally?

I'm not speaking on behalf of either of the promoters, but I don't think they promote themselves as the 'rarest of the rare' nights.

What they offer is something different than Brighouse, Prestwich et al. Various guest DJ's will play different styles, especially at S.O.N. where the emphasis is very much on giving up-and-coming DJ's and collectors an opportunity to play their tunes to an open-minded crowd.

Like Tony already mentioned, the guests that are on at The Greatstone are pretty much A List. The sample playlist from your night is pretty much what I would expect from Mick H, Keith Money etc, and IMVHO no different to what they would play guesting at The Greatstone or S.O.N.

Wish you luck Phil, I admire your balls for having a go, it's never easy doing this promoting lark, but I feel that you would be given all the support in the world from other local venues if your dates didn't clash. For example the Greatstone boys support S.O.N. and vice versa.

These are just my musings, and in no way are they the opinions of the aforementioned. I just think with better planning etc... well, you know :lol:

All the best,

Jamie whistling.gif

(p.s. I thought the Pirates were hilairious, then again, I don't take things too serious :thumbsup: )

Edited by Jamie