Be Very Careful Buying 45's As A Gift

Mrtag

When Buying Records Advertised Anywhere Be Careful How You Make The Payment As More And More Top End Records Appear To Be Coming Up For Sale A Lot Of Sellers Are Asking For Payment Via Paypal As A Gift!!! This Is All Well And Good But You As A Buyer Have No Cover On The Transaction Once You Send Money As A Gift You Have NO Come Back On Paypal ( And Don't Think Using A Credit Card To Fund It Will Help You Because If The Card Company Can Prove Negligence On Your Behalf Then Their Cover Goes As Well !! And Sending As A Gift Is Negligent ) It's Just Like Posting Cash/Money To A Total Stranger Who May Or May Not Have The Record, So be Careful!! The Only Reason I Mention This Is Someone Tried This On With Me!! But I Insisted On The Money Being Paid Through The Normal Paypal Channels!! Good Job Really As The Said Record Allegedly Got Lost In The Post The Worrying Thing Is A Record Matching The Description Of The One I Was Supposed To Be Buying Has Suddenly Appeared For Sale!! Same Rare 45, Same Condition & Same Factory Sleeve, Just Be Careful Chasing That Elusive, Expensive 45 It Could Work Out Very, Very Expensive If You Get Sucked Into The Trap. The Four Figure Sum That Someone Thought They Where Getting Is Now Safely Back In My Account But Alas The 45 Not In The Box And No I Won't Be Risking It With The Other Seller!! Not Been Selling 2 Mins And Not that Much Feedback. Please Be Careful. I Did Find A Reasonably Safe Way To Do A Transaction That Gives You Cover And That Is To Send The Money Electronic Transfer From Your Bank But Do Not Use Cash Put It Up Against A Credit Card That Way If Nothing Turns Up After The Cash Is Wired To The Other Parties Bank You Have The Cover On The Credit Card!! My Bank Manager Also Informed Me That This Will Work If You Pay A Deposit On A Credit Card And The Rest Wired Cash As Long As You Can Show That Is For The Same Transaction. I Hope This Helps You!! Best Wishes John.thumbsup.gif

Edited by mrtag
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveJohnston

Thanks for the heads up John, I mormanly only send paypal gift to trusted record sellers i know but it's somthing i would not think about happening till you posted this up mate thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Thanks for the heads up John, I mormanly only send paypal gift to trusted record sellers i know but it's somthing i would not think about happening till you posted this up mate thumbsup.gif

Glad It's Been Of Help To Someone There's A Lot More To It But I Didn't want To Make It Into A Book But Some Of These Unscrupulous Dealers (That Are Few And Far Between) I Hasten To Add Are Just To keen To Get Their Hands On Your Money!! Some Of The Stories These Guys Come Out With Begger Believe!! Just Remember If It's Sounds To Good To Be True!! Then IT IS :yes: Atb John.:thumbup:

Social source share

I looked into this, almost immediately that this way of paying took off....realised after the first couple of times I received funds this way, that the payment doesn't come through from paypal with a shipping address. Quite obvious, if you know paypal's rules regarding mailing to the address supplied with payment, that this was unlikely to be a safe way of paying for goods.

Be wary of any seller demanding payment this way....

Girth

Social source share

I'd be even more wary now that this "loophole" has been highlighted ph34r.gif

Why do sellers not just add a percentage or meet the buyer halfway and use "goods'. It costs the buyer extra to use paypal as gift!

It doesn't always cost the buyer extra. Sent some money to a mate earlier this week and didn't have to pay anything extra on top of the amount. I think there's no extra fee (or just a very minimal one) when you already have the funds in your paypal account. I personally let it depend on the reputation of the seller when sending payments.

Social source share

It doesn't always cost the buyer extra. Sent some money to a mate earlier this week and didn't have to pay anything extra on top of the amount. I think there's no extra fee (or just a very minimal one) when you already have the funds in your paypal account. I personally let it depend on the reputation of the seller when sending payments.

There's usually bugger all in my account and I'm pretty sure when I've used 'gift' it has cost me. I've only used "gift" option with people I know.

Social source share

Why do sellers not just add a percentage or meet the buyer halfway and use "goods'. It costs the buyer extra to use paypal as gift!

No it doesn't, not if they have funds in their paypal account, it costs nothing extra. I pay the rent every week like this, it doesn't charge me anything.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Or just accept that paypal fees are one of the many costs of being in business, after all it's a tax deductable cost.

I hate having to add on a percentage and try to avoid sellers that charge it, though my main pet hate is when sellers say they only accept paypal for payment and then still charge you to use it! If you don't offer an alternative fee free payment method how can you have the cheek to charge people for the single payment method you do offer?

Social source share

paying be gift can cost extra but not always.

if you pay on credit card there are fees you either pay or pass on to the recipient.

if you pay direct from your bank account there are no fees.

for me there is no difference sending payment as gift than there was sending cheques long before the virtual world existed.

if you stick to buying from people you know or on here you can at least blow the whistle if it goes wrong and if you are unsure or are dealing with somebody for first time just use the normal paypla facility.

Social source share

Lets all go back to the good old days of just sending a cheque in the post..... Oh yeah, thats right, you would just lose ya money then if you got ripped off.

I've got no problem with the gift method but i'd be wary of sending money to anyone on this site who's literally just joined and has no history here.

Social source share

paying be gift can cost extra but not always.

if you pay on credit card there are fees you either pay or pass on to the recipient.

if you pay direct from your bank account there are no fees.

for me there is no difference sending payment as gift than there was sending cheques long before the virtual world existed.

if you stick to buying from people you know or on here you can at least blow the whistle if it goes wrong and if you are unsure or are dealing with somebody for first time just use the normal paypla facility.

Very True And I Guess The Point I Was Trying To Make OK To Use Gift To Somone You Know And Trust But Beware If Someone You Don't Know!! yes.gif

Social source share

No it doesn't, not if they have funds in their paypal account, it costs nothing extra. I pay the rent every week like this, it doesn't charge me anything.

I don't keep funds in my account, or not enough so yes it does cost me to use the gift option. Usually it comes from my CC. The gift option is used so the seller avoids any fees or costs. If you deal for a living the cost of ebay and paypal fees should be incorporated into the cost of the sale and not expect buyers to pay extra if they have insufficient funds in their account.

Now I'm aware of the consequences of the "gift " option I don't think I will be using it unless I trust the seller.

What does it cost a seller if the "goods" option is used?

Social source share

I don't keep funds in my account, or not enough so yes it does cost me to use the gift option. Usually it comes from my CC. The gift option is used so the seller avoids any fees or costs. If you deal for a living the cost of ebay and paypal fees should be incorporated into the cost of the sale and not expect buyers to pay extra if they have insufficient funds in their account.

Now I'm aware of the consequences of the "gift " option I don't think I will be using it unless I trust the seller.

What does it cost a seller if the "goods" option is used?

Hi Chalky, I Think They Have To Pay The Normal Paypal Fees!!But At Least You Have The Protection Of Paypal On The Deal That Way . Atb John thumbsup.gif

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Hi

another problem with sending money as a gift is the following

i recently sent £240 as a gift to a member of soulsauce who told me they had a copy of the perfections on Big B which i was after,

this was sent as a gift at their request. . i insisted disc was sent special delivery which the said they had done on friday from ireland

when it didnt arrive next day i contacted them and they it would be there by monday as it was sent last thing on friday

strangely enough i had amessage from them at 9.10am monday morning offering a full refund if disc hadnt turned up, this seemed strange as the post hadnt even arrived ,so alarm bells started ringing so i asked them to refund original transaction as my paypal is linked to a credit card, so i cant withdraw cash it credits my account and i have to spend it with paypal. they sent me a new payment

saying they didnt have funds to refund original transaction so they had to make a new payment as they had taken my payment out as cash,. basically they had used me as a cash machine. because i sent money as gift there was nothing i could do about it, so although i had £240 credit in my paypal account i still had tp pay the visa bill, and guess what surprise surprise the record never turned up according to this soulsauce member it got lost in post even though i asked for tracking number several times he never produced it. paypal didnt want to know so please beware when sending money as gift as this guy had hundreds of posts next to his name, the best thing was his user name if i told you youd piss yourselves, but i cant prove he shafted me intentionaly otherwise i`d name him, but i checked with a mate at post office who did some digging and he said he could find no evidence disc was ever sent

Best

Floyd

Edited by floyd
Social source share

When this gift thing started getting used I was asked to make a payment for someone else out of my account and he wanted it sent as a gift - but I said no for this very reason. In the end I did but said it was on his head if anything went wrong.

I am surprised people are surprised if I'm honest. Did it not occur that you would not be covered?

Social source share

When this gift thing started getting used I was asked to make a payment for someone else out of my account and he wanted it sent as a gift - but I said no for this very reason. In the end I did but said it was on his head if anything went wrong.

I am surprised people are surprised if I'm honest. Did it not occur that you would not be covered?

I honestly don't understand why people don't instead offer to pay the fees not as gift as the buyer usually (not always as pointed out but usually) has to cover the fees anyways.

Social source share

Hi

another problem with sending money as a gift is the following

i recently sent £240 as a gift to a member of soulsauce who told me they had a copy of the perfections on Big B which i was after,

this was sent as a gift at their request. . i insisted disc was sent special delivery which the said they had done on friday from ireland

when it didnt arrive next day i contacted them and they it would be there by monday as it was sent last thing on friday

strangely enough i had amessage from them at 9.10am monday morning offering a full refund if disc hadnt turned up, this seemed strange as the post hadnt even arrived ,so alarm bells started ringing so i asked them to refund original transaction as my paypal is linked to a credit card, so i cant withdraw cash it credits my account and i have to spend it with paypal. they sent me a new payment

saying they didnt have funds to refund original transaction so they had to make a new payment as they had taken my payment out as cash,. basically they had used me as a cash machine. because i sent money as gift there was nothing i could do about it, so although i had £240 credit in my paypal account i still had tp pay the visa bill, and guess what surprise surprise the record never turned up according to this soulsauce member it got lost in post even though i asked for tracking number several times he never produced it. paypal didnt want to know so please beware when sending money as gift as this guy had hundreds of posts next to his name, the best thing was his user name if i told you youd piss yourselves, but i cant prove he shafted me intentionaly otherwise i`d name him, but i checked with a mate at post office who did some digging and he said he could find no evidence disc was ever sent

Best

Floyd

This Sounds Identical To What The Guy Tried Out On Me!! But Lucky For Me I Got It Covered With Paypal But He Wanted Me Wire It Western Union With No Cover For Me!! No Way !! As They Say " You Have To Get Up Early In The Morning To p*ss In A weasels Ear" Lol laugh.gif

Social source share

This Is My Point Joan!! I Think Some People Think Because It Is Done Through Paypal It's Ok And Covered But Gift Is Not!! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I honestly don't understand why people don't instead offer to pay the fees not as gift as the buyer usually (not always as pointed out but usually) has to cover the fees anyways.

Hi Bob, This Is Another Way Around It To Keep Protection On The Transaction But It Can Get Costly as Most Sellers Ask For 4% To Cover Paypal Costs But If The Item Is A Few "K" it Gets Expensive!! Atb John.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Bob, This Is Another Way Around It To Keep Protection On The Transaction But It Can Get Costly as Most Sellers Ask For 4% To Cover Paypal Costs But If The Item Is A Few "K" it Gets Expensive!! Atb John.thumbsup.gif

It is only when the buyer knows that 4% is to be added on that it seems to become a problem.

If sellers incorporated this charge into the asking price then no one would be the wiser. Ignorance is bliss :thumbup:

Social source share

It is only when the buyer knows that 4% is to be added on that it seems to become a problem.

If sellers incorporated this charge into the asking price then no one would be the wiser. Ignorance is bliss laugh.gif

Very True Joan!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Social source share

===================================================================================================================

The only time I use this (Paypal Gift) on eBay is if it's my idea or with a clearly well-known SS'eron SS.

I have negotiated lower prices with US dealers using this method.....if it works out (and it has every time for me fortunately) then an extra positive outcome is that you immediately have a strong bond of trust with the seller and vice-versa...that said, it's always a risk....after all packages genuinely get lost sometimes!!!!!:thumbsup:

It's always a gamble!

I Used This Method On Friday With A Fellow SS'er And The 45 arrived Saturday Morning!!! As You Rightly Say A Good Thing At Times But Very Easy To Abuse!! Atb John :yes:

Social source share

My girlfriend is currently having hassles with this. A while back she ought some cheaper stuff off a UK seller on ebay, the transaction went fine. He then emailed direct & said he was tired of ebay & sent a list of higher end 45s, email communication went on for a bit & everything seemed trustworthy & above board so she accepted to buy a few for a few hundred pounds, he insisted on gift payment (which we don't have on our accounts, it has to go through as payment owed instead & the buyer then pays the fees), so she paid as "payment owed", paid the fees as well, then never got the records & has no comeback. Now the emails bounce back & his ebay account has been closed.

To top it all off, last week another UK seller has just done the same thing (don't know if it's for real or not as we have both bought cheaper stuff off him on ebay a couple of times without problem) & she is thinking about paying this guy too, but you just don't know who is genuine now & the previous experience makes one think twice.

So if anyone can vouch for a Paul Gatley before she sends the payment this time that would be good for her :thumbsup:

Social source share

My girlfriend is currently having hassles with this. A while back she ought some cheaper stuff off a UK seller on ebay, the transaction went fine. He then emailed direct & said he was tired of ebay & sent a list of higher end 45s, email communication went on for a bit & everything seemed trustworthy & above board so she accepted to buy a few for a few hundred pounds, he insisted on gift payment (which we don't have on our accounts, it has to go through as payment owed instead & the buyer then pays the fees), so she paid as "payment owed", paid the fees as well, then never got the records & has no comeback. Now the emails bounce back & his ebay account has been closed.

To top it all off, last week another UK seller has just done the same thing (don't know if it's for real or not as we have both bought cheaper stuff off him on ebay a couple of times without problem) & she is thinking about paying this guy too, but you just don't know who is genuine now & the previous experience makes one think twice.

So if anyone can vouch for a Paul Gatley before she sends the payment this time that would be good for her :yes:

This Is Exactly what I have Been Going On About And The Sort Of Thing I Have Thought To Be Going On With The Gift Option!! unfortunately You Have No Comeback!! Sorry To Hear Of Your Misfortunes !! Thanks For your Honesty!! Best wishes John. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I much prefer a direct payment to the bank account of the seller - that shows a level of trust and honesty and I have this arrangement with some dealers.

As a buyer and not a seller/dealer though I do wish sometimes that dealers were a bit more open with the deal even though both sides want the best price possible.

Depending what you have in a record obviously dictates what you can allow for, though some seem to not want to budge at all on even sharing postage for example

If I'm paying 300 quid for a record I want the deal legally protected so lets both lose 2% and get on with it.

Having said that I would fully expect someone on here to be straight down the middle with any deal - heck sometimes charges have come on when paying as gift and I've just thought -what the fk' and made the transaction.

My motto is to do a little background on any deal - look at someone's profile, see their posts on here etc - on ebay for example just think that if they are 100% on over 2000 deals then I think it may be ok.

I know you all know to do this but remember if someone won't budge on the way the deal is done and especially will not do signed for or special then pass it by.-

If it doesn't seem right then it probably isn't

Obviously Paypal is a banking system and we all know that banks rip us off for whatever charges they can - hence the exemption for transaction protection when done as a Gift.

Too many Gift transactions and dealers will have this highlighted to them and can't risk losing the facility so they should be flexible.

Cheers

Tony

Social source share

Sorry Chalky- I thought I had read all the posts on the thread. I think for some reason some of the posts were not showing as I had a pc problem as you can see by my double post

I did reply in my first line about the paypal issue but just couldnt help myself having a laugh about RM & PS

Sorry - Considered myself spanked!

Back on topic I suppose you could say it "Was a gift" if the person who receives your money doesnt send the item!

I cannot remember ever having a problem but I can understand why others may now be reluctant but even given this thread, people are still advertising the fact of Paypal gift on the sales thread. (even today) Appreciate MrTag is talking about dealers or others outside source but some dealers join source purely to sell and take little part in any of the other discussions so the spirit of the title could equally apply here! Well thats my opinion !

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Dunno what people think, But its seems to have got really hard recently dealing with over seas clients, especially new ones, had a guy in oz yesterday charge me $9 Aud for security, IE if you send from OZ you now have to pay 9 dollars to have a security check, I obviously challenged him on this cause I buy Oz releases all the time and no one else does this... anyhow I stood down because I had to have have it and paid the buggar.. fool me, but that Outsiders demo on Aussie capitol with date stamp kept on winking at me...

the info on the gift payment was very interesting, and regards acetates kids, buy from trusted dealers as Manship says.. and first time over seas sellers posting on here, guys try to list stuff in pounds, and dont bother with funk records...:thumbsup:

finally ebay, well there are some frightening listings, great records some at silly buy it now prices, the oil painting is just a joke, but there are some good guys out there still, i do think allot are skimming on post though...

As for messers Moss, Devon, Smith, fun though it is I'm now bored of the thread within a thread, pack it in kids...:ohmy:

Mal.C :thumbsup:

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Just to add from my perspective.....

I think with any financial transaction / dealing there's a risk of something going wrong.

Paypal payments both sent and received for me have worked well and I've never had a problem since I've used them. As of yet anyway !

We are all able to weigh up the risk's involved and if a transaction doesn't 'feel' safe by either the amount of cred a seller or buyer has then walk away is the best option I think.

For piece of mind and I guess potentially your wallet.

I would rather pay and recieve a paypal transaction as a gift but that's what suits me personally. Adding X% here for paypal's fees etc grips my s#it to be honest.

Paypal have the game tied up as far as internet commerce transactions goes for the ordinary joe out there trying to sell or buy a few bits n bobs. What ever way it goes they get their cut of someone's money so the least them sharks get to my mind the better really.

I'm not a dealer and don't expect to be charged for the privledge of buying or selling something everytime unless I have to use fleabay or the like in which case it's obligartory and you can't get away from it. But that's my choice whether to use it at the end of the day.

Keeping your wits about you and doing some homework on the sellers credibility whether on SS or wherever should help in making a decision. Failing that there are other ways to pay, but once again...there will be some risk with them too i'm sure.

As they say...."You pay's your money and take's your choice".

Or should that be the other way around ???? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Eddie

Social source share

Just to add from my perspective.....

I think with any financial transaction / dealing there's a risk of something going wrong.

Paypal payments both sent and received for me have worked well and I've never had a problem since I've used them. As of yet anyway !

We are all able to weigh up the risk's involved and if a transaction doesn't 'feel' safe by either the amount of cred a seller or buyer has then walk away is the best option I think.

For piece of mind and I guess potentially your wallet.

I would rather pay and recieve a paypal transaction as a gift but that's what suits me personally. Adding X% here for paypal's fees etc grips my s#it to be honest.

Paypal have the game tied up as far as internet commerce transactions goes for the ordinary joe out there trying to sell or buy a few bits n bobs. What ever way it goes they get their cut of someone's money so the least them sharks get to my mind the better really.

I'm not a dealer and don't expect to be charged for the privledge of buying or selling something everytime unless I have to use fleabay or the like in which case it's obligartory and you can't get away from it. But that's my choice whether to use it at the end of the day.

Keeping your wits about you and doing some homework on the sellers credibility whether on SS or wherever should help in making a decision. Failing that there are other ways to pay, but once again...there will be some risk with them too i'm sure.

As they say...."You pay's your money and take's your choice".

Or should that be the other way around ???? :wicked:

Regards,

Eddie

Hi Eddie, Fine As You State If You Know The Seller But Double Risky If You Don't!! No Wonder Ebay Make So Much Dosh It's The Safety Net They Offer That Appeals To Everyone But Thats All Changing Now With The I.R.S Apparently Watching All the U.S. Dealings On Ebay Hence The Reason A Lot Of 45 Sellers Are Finding Other Places To Advertise And Offering Deals Outside Of Ebay!! And This Is Where The Risk Element Enters Into The Deal And There Doesn't Seem To Be Many Alternatives That Are Safe Apart From The Afore Mentioned One At The Beginning Of This Thread. Atb John.:wicked:

Social source share

Hi John,

I guess the only safe way would be to deal with people you know then but obviously that's limiting to the world wide market of genuine sellers (and buyers) out there.

There's alternative's in payment but once again, I see risk's with them method's too.

At the end of the day I think some trust has to be established somewhere between buyer and seller and unfortunately the payment and receiving of goods is what determine's that. Only then can some trust be established really.

Like I said before...."Walk away if it doesn't feel right".

In most case's a 45 will turn up again and from my experiance if I choose to "walk away" or lose on an auction there's always another I've been after somewhere else.

Most of the time from someone i've dealt with in the past too :wicked:

Regards,

Eddie

Edited by eddiep
Social source share

Hi John,

I guess the only safe way would be to deal with people you know then but obviously that's limiting to the world wide market of genuine sellers (and buyers) out there.

There's alternative's in payment but once again, I see risk's with them method's too.

At the end of the day I think some trust has to be established somewhere between buyer and seller and unfortunately the payment and receiving of goods is what determine's that. Only then can some trust be established really.

Like I said before...."Walk away if it doesn't feel right".

In most case's a 45 will turn up again and from my experiance if I choose to "walk away" or lose on an auction there's always another I've been after somewhere else.

Most of the time from someone i've dealt with in the past too :wicked:

Regards,

Eddie

Very true!! It's A Bit Like The Old Bus Scenario!! :wicked: :wicked:

Social source share

Using the gift option on paypal is no different to sending a cheque or cash in the post is it?

You dont always have to pay the fees on gift transactions (on the occasions here there are fees that is) as there's a tick box option to say whether you will pay the fee.

I may be wrong but the gift fees are less than normal fees from my understanding.

There's always a risk in these transactions, as there is with cash, cheque or bank transfer - just go with who you trust, or make sure you use a method which offers cover if you dont know the person, simples. The T's and C's are there for your benefit.

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Social source share

Using the gift option on paypal is no different to sending a cheque or cash in the post is it?

You dont always have to pay the fees on gift transactions (on the occasions here there are fees that is) as there's a tick box option to say whether you will pay the fee.

I may be wrong but the gift fees are less than normal fees from my understanding.

There's always a risk in these transactions, as there is with cash, cheque or bank transfer - just go with who you trust, or make sure you use a method which offers cover if you dont know the person, simples. The T's and C's are there for your benefit.

Azza

Hi Azza, The Gift Fees Usually Are Cheaper!! And As You Rightly state There Is a Risk But This Can Be Eliminated On The Bank Transfer If You Look At The Original Post!! Atb John.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

hi,

last night i ticked the ( personal payment owed ) in stead of ( gift ) by mistake,

i asked the person i paid if they paid a fee and they said no, i didn't pay a fee myself unlike when sending as a gift,

i just wonder how you stand legally using this method as against paying as a fee after reading this thread,anyone got a thought on this,

joe.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Gift/Personal payments is a facility paypal offer for making payments to friends/family and neither are cover with protection

Unless you trust the person, don't use it.

If you win an item on ebay, the seller is bound by ebay selling guidelines to accept paypal and pay the fees, probally the reason ebay now owns paypal.

Outside of ebay, the seller should either incorperate fees or clearly state any surcharges. It is then down to the buyer to make his/her choice wether to buy or not.

If it so happens that you know and trust the seller then you can of course choose to use the Gift payment option as that is it's purpose, if you don't, then don't.

I am suprised this is even a topic in this forum, we're adults and it is simply a case of common sense.

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

Guest brivinyl

You just have to go with what you know and with who you trust: I had someone order three records off me on friday, he wanted to pay by cheque, I said fine no problem, and I posted his records on friday afternoon without having even received payment. I know he'll send it. Trust.

Thanks Pete. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Dunno what people think, But its seems to have got really hard recently dealing with over seas clients, especially new ones, had a guy in oz yesterday charge me $9 Aud for security, IE if you send from OZ you now have to pay 9 dollars to have a security check, I obviously challenged him on this cause I buy Oz releases all the time and no one else does this... anyhow I stood down because I had to have have it and paid the buggar.. fool me, but that Outsiders demo on Aussie capitol with date stamp kept on winking at me...

Mal.C thumbsup.gif

Is this the seller that lives 100 miles from the nearest post office, was tempted to bid on a couple of his items a few months ago, checked the australian postal website, $9 surcharge is absolute load of tosh.

Seems to me that he wants somebody to pay his petrol for him.

Social source share

hi,

last night i ticked the ( personal payment owed ) in stead of ( gift ) by mistake,

i asked the person i paid if they paid a fee and they said no, i didn't pay a fee myself unlike when sending as a gift,

i just wonder how you stand legally using this method as against paying as a fee after reading this thread,anyone got a thought on this,

joe.

Hi Joe, It's Exactly The Same As Gift As You Are Saying You Owe The Money For Work/Services Etc Carried Out, So Again No Comeback The only Reason Paypal Give The Insurance Against Payment Is For Items Bought And Not Yet Received This Is Were Part Of There Costs Come Into Play!! Atb John :yes:thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Gift/Personal payments is a facility paypal offer for making payments to friends/family and neither are cover with protection

Unless you trust the person, don't use it.

If you win an item on ebay, the seller is bound by ebay selling guidelines to accept paypal and pay the fees, probally the reason ebay now owns paypal.

Outside of ebay, the seller should either incorperate fees or clearly state any surcharges. It is then down to the buyer to make his/her choice wether to buy or not.

If it so happens that you know and trust the seller then you can of course choose to use the Gift payment option as that is it's purpose, if you don't, then don't.

I am suprised this is even a topic in this forum, we're adults and it is simply a case of common sense.

Very True!! And Ebay Have Owned Paypal since July 8th 2002 !! Atb John.:yes:thumbsup.gif

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!