An Ebay Warning For You

Pete S

Right: if anyone from overseas buys from me I recommend that they use insured postage for £5, otherwise I am not responsible for anything going missing. How about this for a scam. I sold a for £37, guy refuses to insure it. After a month, he claims he never receives it, and he claims his money back via paypal. I explain about the postage to paypal but they maintain that because I did not get tracking info - which costs £5 international signed for - that I am responsible! So they have refunded his money. No doubt he has the record, now he has my money as well. Paypal do not appear to understand that you cannot get a tracked overseas delivery for less than a fiver.

Anyway, well done Romain Recault (user name Rasyak) from France, you've conned me this time, hopefully everyone else will now avoid you like the plague.

p.s. he then has the cheek to leave me negative feedback for not sending the record :D

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Pete,

Why not just charge them all £5 postage from now on? That way they don't have the option of not insuring it and maybe avoiding this happening again in the future. I know that Recordmanx in the States charges an extra $10 for any international delivery paid thru Paypal, I wonder if this is for a similar reason.

I'm sure you left him (rasyak) appropriate feedback! :D

Social source share

Can beat that...

I sold a couple of records on eBay, the purchaser paid for them by Paypal, then claimed that he hadn't received them 6 days later (same day I sent them out recorded delivery).

Paypal refunded his money, put my account into negative, then sent me messages telling me to pay the correct amount in.

They wouldn't accept the evidence I offered (recorded delivery slip) and even refused to credit my account back when the purchaser informed them he had had the records.

In the end the purchaser paid me the money again, but I was hit for a second lot of Paypal fees....

Not a happy chappy.

Social source share

sorry to hear you got scammed pete. this happens an awful lot, as a seller you really need to get proof of postage with every ebay transaction, ask for it at the post office, it's like a receipt only it has the destination written on it as well. i think it costs about 20p extra, it's cheap & it's worth it as people are slowly realising how easy it is to scam ebay sellers via paypal

Social source share

This kind of thing has been going on for years, i mean how many of you have had catalogs and claimed that your goods never turned up :D Its just a shame that instead of big companies who can afford it getting screwed its joe public trying to make a bit of extra doe on ebay getting screwed :D

Social source share

sorry to hear you got scammed pete. this happens an awful lot, as a seller you really need to get proof of postage with every ebay transaction, ask for it at the post office, it's like a receipt only it has the destination written on it as well. i think it costs about 20p extra, it's cheap & it's worth it as people are slowly realising how easy it is to scam ebay sellers via paypal

Wendy, they would not accept proof of posting as evidence! I had that! They wanted a tracking number only. It's free by the way tongue.gif

Pete,

Why not just charge them all £5 postage from now on? That way they don't have the option of not insuring it and maybe avoiding this happening again in the future. I know that Recordmanx in the States charges an extra $10 for any international delivery paid thru Paypal, I wonder if this is for a similar reason.

I'm sure you left him (rasyak) appropriate feedback! :D

I'd already left him positive! :D doh!

Social source share

This kind of thing has been going on for years, i mean how many of you have had catalogs and claimed that your goods never turned up :D Its just a shame that instead of big companies who can afford it getting screwed its joe public trying to make a bit of extra doe on ebay getting screwed tongue.gif

Even if it's a big company still doesn't make it right, Baz. :D

Social source share

Wendy, they would not accept proof of posting as evidence! I had that! They wanted a tracking number only. It's free by the way :D

IVE ONLY EVER SENT ONE BY SIGNED FOR AND IT GOT LOST GUY IN NY AND HAD TRACKING NO PASSED IT TO PAYPAL STILL COST ME 66 QUID.EVEN THOUGH HAD SENT PROOF OF PURCHASE AND ALL I GOT FROM PO WAS THE POSTAGE BACK AS TO SAVE GUY CUSTOMS CHARGES DID NOT PUT VALUE ON.

ME PIRROCK.

AS HE NEVER RECIEVED IT VEHICLE GOT TO NEW YORK CUSTOMS AND THEN DISAPEARED ALLEGEDLY.

CRYSTAL7348 GUY WHO PAYED ME NOTHIN AND COST ME A DECENT RECORD(NOT EVEN A PRESSING

Social source share

Thanks for the tip Pete. Any idiots i hear of (like this guy) get instantly blocked from my auctions.

I had the same thing done to me on an Exits - Gemini. Paypal just wipped the money out of my account and gave it back to him. I had no choice in the matter.

There bas*ar*s at the best of times.

Social source share

Pete,

I know that Recordmanx in the States charges an extra $10 for any international delivery paid thru Paypal, I wonder if this is for a similar reason.

You're right, thats the reason he charges 10 USD extra if paying by Paypal, for reg. mail. However, he gave me the option to state in the Paypal comments field that I had been offered reg. mail but refused.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

I dont understand this bloody tracking lark.....I sent £400 to france by registered pot(international signed for)I payed for compensation up to £500.

When the item went missing I was told that it was only tracked up to the point where it leaves Britain. What use is that! Then to add insult to injury, when I claimed my money back...they wanted me to prove that I had the cash in the first place....luckily I had drawn it in 2 lots from the cash point so I had proof.. What would have happened if I'd sold records to pay for the ones I was buying (the norm for me) ...how the hell would I have proved that !!!

It was lucky that the guy I was buying from was a friend...He had to wait 3 months before I got my money back and could pay him. He no longer accepts cash by post...even registered. As It happend to him twice more within the 6weks following my loss.

I have also had cash go missing on its way to the usa a couple of times...both times by international signed for... a guy at the post office said it was like putting a big sign on saying..."nick me I'm worth something"

So maybe paypal should be made to understand that apart from being able to claim your money back Tracking is a complete waste of time

Social source share

makes my blood boil this sort of thing

i did a law degree. it's a long time since I studied the Sale of Goods Act but there's all sorts of things like the above (it's now the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002) and the Unfair Contract Terms Act and stuff which actually protect consumers in lots of these sorts of cases.

just because Paypal or the Post Office say and do something, don't just accept it

classic smaller example is when you buy a watch, you get a guarantee with it. the guarantee usually excludes the strap - says something like 'we'll replace the watch within a year but the strap isn't covered by this'.

this is bollocks - the strap is covered by the law of the land ie your statutory rights - can't remember the wording but it's something like if something isn't fit for its reasonable purpose (ie in this case being worn on your wrist) they have to replace it, assuming the time frame is reasonable.

reason i mention this is because you wouldn't believe the number of people who just accept it when a jeweller says 'sorry, the strap isn't covered'.

as any lawyer will tell you, the correct response to this is: 'bollocks, i'm going to see you in the small claims court', after which they call the manager and he gets all flustered and ushers you into a back room where he apologises profusely and replaces the strap while you steal his mint imperials.

on the same lines, i don't think Paypal or the Royal Mail should be able to just take money from your account or ignore your protestations and refuse to reimburse you. if you have sent the item and can prove it (and there's lots of ways to prove it, including your mates/family/post office lady witnessing you posting it) i can't see they have a leg to stand on.

they are banking on the average person not knowing their rights, because naturally enough most people don't, and just accepting what they are told. basically, they are taking the piss.

is there a practising lawyer on here who could confirm this is about right? (or totally wrong??!)

Social source share

makes my blood boil this sort of thing

i did a law degree. it's a long time since I studied the Sale of Goods Act but there's all sorts of things like the above (it's now the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002) and the Unfair Contract Terms Act and stuff which actually protect consumers in lots of these sorts of cases.

just because Paypal or the Post Office say and do something, don't just accept it

classic smaller example is when you buy a watch, you get a guarantee with it. the guarantee usually excludes the strap - says something like 'we'll replace the watch within a year but the strap isn't covered by this'.

this is bollocks - the strap is covered by the law of the land ie your statutory rights - can't remember the wording but it's something like if something isn't fit for its reasonable purpose (ie in this case being worn on your wrist) they have to replace it, assuming the time frame is reasonable.

reason i mention this is because you wouldn't believe the number of people who just accept it when a jeweller says 'sorry, the strap isn't covered'.

as any lawyer will tell you, the correct response to this is: 'bollocks, i'm going to see you in the small claims court', after which they call the manager and he gets all flustered and ushers you into a back room where he apologises profusely and replaces the strap while you steal his mint imperials.

on the same lines, i don't think Paypal or the Royal Mail should be able to just take money from your account or ignore your protestations and refuse to reimburse you. if you have sent the item and can prove it (and there's lots of ways to prove it, including your mates/family/post office lady witnessing you posting it) i can't see they have a leg to stand on.

they are banking on the average person not knowing their rights, because naturally enough most people don't, and just accepting what they are told. basically, they are taking the piss.

is there a practising lawyer on here who could confirm this is about right? (or totally wrong??!)

I'm not a proper lawyer you understand Dan, but you are right about ' fitness for purpose'.

The biggest con however is where you buy something (usually from an electrical retailer) and its faulty.

Take it back and they invariably tell you you have to send it back to the manufacturer. Tell them to b*llocks. You bought it off them, not Candy or somebody. Stand at the till arguing, but not loudly or aggressively, and you'll soon have the manager out to refund your cash or replace the item.

And never go somewhere off the salesfloor so other customers can't hear whats happening. (Unless you've been caught shoplifting of course !)

Social source share

I'm not a proper lawyer you understand Dan, but you are right about ' fitness for purpose'.

The biggest con however is where you buy something (usually from an electrical retailer) and its faulty.

Take it back and they invariably tell you you have to send it back to the manufacturer. Tell them to b*llocks. You bought it off them, not Candy or somebody. Stand at the till arguing, but not loudly or aggressively, and you'll soon have the manager out to refund your cash or replace the item.

And never go somewhere off the salesfloor so other customers can't hear whats happening. (Unless you've been caught shoplifting of course !)

you so right about this one steve

B&Q are serial offenders

i bought a new black and decker electric mower which packed in on day one

they tried to make me send it to black and decker for a replacement! cheeky (and out of luck) bastards

slightly off topic i know but applies to the Paypal/Post Office as well - they're all scammers...just mildly more legal than the rest

Social source share

you so right about this one steve

B&Q are serial offenders

i bought a new black and decker electric mower which packed in on day one

they tried to make me send it to black and decker for a replacement! cheeky (and out of luck) bastards

slightly off topic i know but applies to the Paypal/Post Office as well - they're all scammers...just mildly more legal than the rest

A few years ago i got involved with a "Fit for purpose" court case and the law uses a test case from 1913 when someone bought a bottle of ginger beer from a shop and found a dead wasp in the it, it was the shop that was taken to court not the manufacturer .

Thought yoy might like to know that useless bit if info, I wonder wether one of the daily paper money pages would have a look at paypal

Ted

Social source share

A few years ago i got involved with a "Fit for purpose" court case and the law uses a test case from 1913 when someone bought a bottle of ginger beer from a shop and found a dead wasp in the it, it was the shop that was taken to court not the manufacturer .

Thought yoy might like to know that useless bit if info, I wonder wether one of the daily paper money pages would have a look at paypal

Ted

donoghue v stevenson 1932

groundbreaking case

it was a snail, ted, and she took the manufacturer to court, not the shop (woman was made ill by rotting snail hidden in bottle of ginger beer bought in cafe for her by her friend; she couldn't sue the cafe herself because it was her friend who had the 'contract' with the cafe ie she had bought the beer; the friend couldn't sue the cafe because she herself had suffered no injury; thus the injured woman sued the manufacturer on the reasonable grounds that they should keep rotting snails out of their ginger beer; the case extended liability in such cases to manufacturers where previously it had only applied to vendors)

not strictly applicable to lawnmowers, therefore (or Paypal/record purchases, though I have purchased a few records which have made me ill in my time)

sorry if this is boring to everyone else by the way but might save you a few quid with a stroppy shopkeeper one day!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!