Taddy 'riley Smith Hall'

BIG BIG THANKS TO DALE, MAZ ,EMMA AND THE GANG !!!

WARM-UP WAS STELLA (TUNES & COMPANY) MICK & MO SUPER STUFF GUYS & TREV & THEM THERE GROOVEY WILLINGHAMS ! THE BURGERS WERE THE SIZE OF A SMALL PLANET (EH KEN !)

RILEY SMITH IS ONE FAB VENUE !

WE HAD A FEW TEETHING PROBS WITH SOUND IN 'THE TASTE OF HONEY' EMPORIUM OF GROOVINESS, SO APOLOGIES TO THE EARLY HONEY-GROOVERS AND BIG THANKYOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE, YER ALL STARZ !

DJs PLAYED A BLINDER , ROOM WAS THROBBING MID AND LATE EVENING AND WITH SUCH A BUSY VENUE IT WAS A DELIGHT THAT SO MANY CLIMBED THE STAIRS AND TRIPPED THE LIGHT FANTASTICO WITH US .

SO TA TO ANDY BELLWOOD, SIR DAVID RIMMER , SOUL SAM , PHIL SHIELDS & THE GROOVETASTIC WILLINGHAMS !

MOST MAINLY BIG BIG THANKYOU TO ALL THE FAB FOLKS WHO CAME, LISTENED, GROOVED AND SMILED ...YER ALL PRICELESS !

VENTURED INTO MAIN HALL A FEW TIMES AND THE FLOOR WAS SHAKIN IN A SOLID MASS OF ACE DANCERS , A JOYOUS SIGHT ! CAUGHT A BIT OF SEAN CHAPMAN AND NIGE BROWN SORRY DIDN'T CATCH MUCH AS I WAS A TAD BUSY IN THE TASTE OF HONEY- MELTING-POT UPSTAIRS !

BIG LUV TO ALL AND THANKYOU TO Y'ALL...YOUR THE BEES' KNEES FOR SURE !!!!

CPTN M thumbsup.gif

Edited by bearsoul
  • Replies 122
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Got to agree with everything Chris has said.

We arrived at the warm up a little lter than planned (It was Sian's fault), and to my immense joy discovered that the beer was the local Samuel Smiths, and £1.68 a pint. Forty minutes and three pints later the chat and laughs were flowing. Real nice idea to have a warm up with no dancefloor as well, it meant you got chance to chat with peoiple in a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Across the road at 7pm to the Riley Smith Hall. Fantastic venue, big sprung dancefloor downstairs, and a much more intimate room upstairs. I spent mearly the whole night upstairs (apart from fetching more beer and fag breaks) and can honestly say the music was fantastic all evening.

On one of my trips downstairs to the bar (My only complaint really, no bar upstairs) I noticed Nige Brown had the floor literally bouncing with the number of dancers on it. Upstairs though the music ranged from rarities, unreleased, R & B, Funk, Modern, uptempo, midtempo, and even beat ballads. Pretty much representative of the normal quality at A Taste Of Honey. The numbers in the room varied through the course of the night, but were always respectable, through to busy. The good thing is most of the people in the room have never actually attended A Taste Of Honey, perhaps last night might encourage them to get over the Penines for the next one. Have to say the spot that Carl & Maria Willingham played was frighteningly good. Great records that were played in the right order. Loved it.

So time for some thanks: To Dale for inviting ATOH to run the second room, to Chris for inviting me to be part of it, mostly though to Sian who provided accommodation Friday and Saturday night, and a lift to and from the venue. To Kenny & Matt for the company and laughs (All you have to do to set Kenny off on a tirade of abuse is mentiuon the Tory party and the M6 in the same sentence laugh.gif)

Somewhat tired, but happy.

Got to agree with everything Chris has said.

We arrived at the warm up a little lter than planned (It was Sian's fault), and to my immense joy discovered that the beer was the local Samuel Smiths, and £1.68 a pint. Forty minutes and three pints later the chat and laughs were flowing. Real nice idea to have a warm up with no dancefloor as well, it meant you got chance to chat with peoiple in a nice relaxed atmosphere.

Across the road at 7pm to the Riley Smith Hall. Fantastic venue, big sprung dancefloor downstairs, and a much more intimate room upstairs. I spent mearly the whole night upstairs (apart from fetching more beer and fag breaks) and can honestly say the music was fantastic all evening.

On one of my trips downstairs to the bar (My only complaint really, no bar upstairs) I noticed Nige Brown had the floor literally bouncing with the number of dancers on it. Upstairs though the music ranged from rarities, unreleased, R & B, Funk, Modern, uptempo, midtempo, and even beat ballads. Pretty much representative of the normal quality at A Taste Of Honey. The numbers in the room varied through the course of the night, but were always respectable, through to busy. The good thing is most of the people in the room have never actually attended A Taste Of Honey, perhaps last night might encourage them to get over the Penines for the next one. Have to say the spot that Carl & Maria Willingham played was frighteningly good. Great records that were played in the right order. Loved it.

So time for some thanks: To Dale for inviting ATOH to run the second room, to Chris for inviting me to be part of it, mostly though to Sian who provided accommodation Friday and Saturday night, and a lift to and from the venue. To Kenny & Matt for the company and laughs (All you have to do to set Kenny off on a tirade of abuse is mentiuon the Tory party and the M6 in the same sentence laugh.gif)

Somewhat tired, but happy.

THANKYOU DAVE !! YOUR AN ABSOLUTE GENT, MAKE NO MISTAKE ! AND YOU PLAYED SOME CORKING SIDES SIR !

I have to say a big thankyou to Dale and the rest of the crew for making me a and every one else feel so welcome my first time an many others at the riley smith definatly wont be the last, the music and dance floor were buzzing definatly put my body through its paces, well worth it, met so many great people, from all over the place, sorry i am rubbish with names knew i should have written them down, you know who you are.

Got to say a big thankyou to Lee and Charlote for going out of there way to give me and Denise a lift back to the campsite, real pleasure to have met you, really enjoyed your company, so a big thanks once again, had a great weekend, see you all soon and keep on doing what your doing.

Steve & Denise (Stockport)

Edited by champion
Guest dazzzzler

I have to say a big thankyou to Dale and the rest of the crew for making me a and every one else feel so welcome my first time an many others at the riley smith definatly wont be the last, the music and dance floor were buzzing definatly put my body through its paces, well worth it, met so many great people, from all over the place, sorry i am rubbish with names knew i should have written them down, you know who you are.

Got to say a big thankyou to Ian and Charlote for going out of there way to give me and Denise a lift back to the campsite, real pleasure to have met you, really enjoyed your company, so a big thanks once again, had a great weekend, see you all soon and keep on doing what your doing.

Steve & Denise (Stockport)

we got to riley bout 9 thought it was guna be packed but :thumbup: .music good upta 10 then floor lost it djs should realise by now ow to get a floor bouncing ,not till 11.30 got some uptempo sounds and 4 main room bit sad,venue good.good look wi next one thumbsup.gif .

we got to riley bout 9 thought it was guna be packed but :yes: .music good upta 10 then floor lost it djs should realise by now ow to get a floor bouncing ,not till 11.30 got some uptempo sounds and 4 main room bit sad,venue good.good look wi next one :thumbsup: .

So that's mine & part of Nige's set you found not to your liking.A part of my set were request (obviously not by you),so can you explain to me if I should play things that have been requested or should I say yes I've got it in my box but I'm not going to play it as there's a certain section who won't like it & they have more say then you???I have no problem with you not liking what I played I think that's healthy because if we all liked the same stuff that would then become line dancing,what I don't like is the fact the part of the scene you like is the only thing that should be played & no room for anything else.So if one of those requested made someones night I feel as a dj that is a job well done.If it was that bad a set why did I get applause after some tracks & a reasonable reaction to most tunes,I agree the floor wasn't full all the time but again I repeat I was playing some things people had asked for.............so next time I'll send them to you to vet my request & see what I can play & not play.

Playlist in no particular order.............

Chuck Jackson-Hand It Over Wand.......request

Lonnie Lester-You Can't Go Nu-Tone

Nicole Willis-If It Ain't Love Timmon.......request

H.B Barnum-It Hurts Too Much To Cry RCA

Nolan Porter-If I Could Only Be Sure ABC

Carla Thomas-I'll Never Stop Loving You Horaces

R.L Burnside-It's Bad Y'Know Fat Possum LP.........request

Hesitations-I'm Not Built That Way Kapp

George Freeman-Down & Out Valiant.........request

Soul Brothers Six-I'll Stop Loving You Atlantic

Ronnie Love-Chills & Fever Dot

Dottie & Millie-Talkin' About My Baby Topper

Nate Evans-This Time With Feeling DPR........request

The Montclairs-Hung Up On Your Love Paula.........request

Don Thomas-Come On Train NUVJ...........request

Voices Of East Harlem-Cashing In Just Sunshine

Eddie Spencer-If This Is Love Arc

Danny White-Cracked Up Over You Decca

Drifters-Baby What I Mean Atlantic

Nancy Wilson-End Of Our Love Capitol

Martha Reeves-No One There TMG.........request

Jr.Walker-Tune Up Soul

Edwin Starr-My Weakness Is You TMG

Spinners-It's A Shame TMG

Cheers

Martyn

Loved beng part of the ATOH team in the guest room . The Captain's strolling players were on fire - some of the tunes which Soul Sam & The Willinghams played were jaw droppingly exceptional , quality and a unique opportunity to hear such rare/criminally underplayed dance tunes . As Dave says fantastic that so many new to the sound of ATOH caught the varied but stunning sets from all the DJs .

Thought the upstairs room layout was even better than before, more seats and tables, decks repositioned and yet the busy dance floor area seemed bigger .

Its a fabulous art deco venue - and they came from far and wide to celebrate the 2nd Anniversary , starting in the afternoon with the excellent warm-up event.

Spent most of the time on the balcony , marvelling at the main room below . For me, Sean Chapman and Nige Brown the guest DJs were exceptional and loved the occasional imaginative marmite tunes (mod, soulful reggae & a bit of latin) , which made for variety and often is lacking in predominately oldie rooms . Kept popping back to the ATOH Room throughout , never a dull moment or tune i didn't enjoy .

Nice to see so many staying to the end, was it 1am or 2am? then leaving with smilng faces and thanking Dale , Maz & Em for hosting another great nite .

Edited by andybellwood

I was only able to get to Taddy warm up at about 4.30pm and had to leave at 9,but that's another story.Here's my take on things.

Tadcaster Social Club.Ring the buzzer to be let in,my missus most impressed,"Very exclusive this place mi duck" :D .On the decks Trev Thomas spinning a very good set to the ears.Quick beer for me ,cider for Mrs H (who by now had realised the exclusivity :yes: ).Chewed the fat with Dale n Maz,Andy Bellwood,nods all round,Mick n Mo,,Dave Rimmer,Sian,Carl n Maria,etc.Good turn out of reprobates.

Chris Morgan followed Trev on the decks,again good fare for the ears.Bout 6.30 off for a curry before the RSH started.Met Nige Brown + Carms in there.I led the usual high brow conversation.This time about the demise of Caramac's and quite rightly Aztec Bars,and Bar 6.

Thanks for the tip of the day Nige,a retro sweets shop in Manc.:thumbsup:

Anyway after the curry (Lamb Jalfrezi for me,a poppudom for the missus - 40p.),just a 624 yard walk to the RSH.

Maz and Emma on the door,Dave Raistrick and Donna with the record sales.Main room was starting to fill up it was only 8.00 ish.

Did the right thing,straight to the bar.I think Tony Hatfield and Geoff were spinning the tunes.

Tap water for me,soda and lime for Mrs H - 80p..!!!!.Result.:yes: Change from a quid...:) Made my night.Spent the next half hour avoiding Fudge,but he caught up with us by using his missus in a pincer movement favoured by the Zulu's.

Andy Bellwood on in ATOH room upstairs,followed by Bearsoul himself,all good stuff.Unfortunatley had to leave early,that early most folks hadn't arrived.

Got to the carpark,to find Spot and Gail letting me tyres down,they'd just arrived."Sorry Kev,thought it was Steve's car" said Spot**.So no harm done then.:D

We'll be back...and Martyn remember.Skin like a rhino mate.:yes:

**that bit wasn't true.

Edited by KevH
Guest dazzzzler

my opinion wasnt to say play all what i like,but to play the sounds that keep the dance floor moving i.e gives the room a buzz,a dj should know what crowd he as in ,if a person askes for a record and you know it will kill the momentum thats a no no surely .:thumbsup:

Edited by dazzzzler
Guest Ranger

my opinion wasnt to to say play all what i like,but to play the sounds that keep the dance floor moving i.e gives the room a buzz,a dj should know what crowd he as in ,if a person askes for a record and you know it will kill the memento thats a no no surely .:thumbsup:

Pardon?

my opinion wasnt to to say play all what i like,but to play the sounds that keep the dance floor moving i.e gives the room a buzz,a dj should know what crowd he as in ,if a person askes for a record and you know it will kill the memento thats a no no surely .:thumbsup:

All the records I played I thought would go down well or I wouldn't have played them,if I didn't they wouldn't have been in my box in the first place.If you look at the diversity of my set I tried to play something for everyone & not just focus on particular part,if that didn't work for you that's a shame & next time I'm on you'll know to go into the other room & sample what's great tunes are been played in there?After my spot I spent quite a bit of time with a few who were asking about R L Burnside telling them how they could track a copy down etc. a tune that is not to evryones taste but it got people talking about what camp they are in & that's what the music is all about for me...........opinions.Better to have heard something & not liked it then not heard it at all........the scene has been evolving since the start & is the main reason it's still hear so as I've said before I think it's good we don't like everything but the trick is to respect that someone else might.

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn you were the only Dj to get me dancin ... but then what would I :yes: know eh ? I often find when I get up they all get off :thumbsup:

I found the other tracks a tad too fast for me personaly , ( I am getting old ) you see I relish a slower tempo ... I think they are called floaters rather than stompers ? and I would have to disagree with dazzler I think a change in tempo is welcoming.

Anyway thanks for catering for my needs ...be they the minority :yes:

All the records I played I thought would go down well or I wouldn't have played them,if I didn't they wouldn't have been in my box in the first place.If you look at the diversity of my set I tried to play something for everyone & not just focus on particular part,if that didn't work for you that's a shame & next time I'm on you'll know to go into the other room & sample what's great tunes are been played in there?After my spot I spent quite a bit of time with a few who were asking about R L Burnside telling them how they could track a copy down etc. a tune that is not to evryones taste but it got people talking about what camp they are in & that's what the music is all about for me...........opinions.Better to have heard something & not liked it then not heard it at all........the scene has been evolving since the start & is the main reason it's still hear so as I've said before I think it's good we don't like everything but the trick is to respect that someone else might.

Cheers

Martyn

98% of my 2 sets were 100 mph Northern Classics from the Classic Venues,,,, Peppered with requests from the crowd!!

Having done an All niter after leaving Taddy im to knackered and cant be arsed to write the play list,,,

as DJs we dont always get it right,, but i refuse to accept i didnt read the floor during my two sets last night,,,

i fact i did have to smile i had to announce someones wedding Anniversary ,,, and the floor di thin SLIGHTLY to Hey Saloney and 100mph track following that the floor was humming !!

From where i stas standing on that stage ,,, both sets the floor was hummimg!

Nige Brown

it was our first time at "Taddy" and we thought it was superb ! ..what have we been missing ? ! ... we spent our time with friends old and new in the main hall which is like a mini stoke :yes: what a venue ! there was a mix of sounds and tempos to suit most in there at some time .. I feel the dj's did a good job playing to a wide variety of people who attend these days .. I enjoyed the spots played , not all 100 mph .. but in the main, all dancers .. and not all "run o' the mill" :thumbsup: .. The crowd were well up for a great time ... no p**s heads ...all people loving soul music and having a great time...

still on a buzz ! will be back at the next one too .. :yes:

pete n' susan KTF

We arrived at the warm up a little lter than planned (It was Sian's fault),

I only forgot that it was my weekend to have the grandchildren, so instead of the 1pm departure, we were away by 2.30pm...not too bad.

Needed the chill out session as my head was spinning...6 hours of a two & a four year old and then 2 more hours of Dave and Ken in the car...:yes:

I love the whole package that is RSH, the warm up/chill out session, bit of food and off for a dance and natter amongst great friends...:yes:

My legs decided they weren't coming out to play, so poor Mel got her ears melted for most of the night. (thanks for being an angel)...:D

I thought the main room was busy...:D...maybe I was at a different venue and hilarious when I went to get a coffee and the floor was bouncing that much, I couldn't poor the milk...:)

Worth every minute and the suffering that will be for the next few days...:thumbsup:

See you at the next one...:yes:

Like you Casper this was our first time at Riley Hall - fantastic venue and dancefloor - although we're only 20 - ish minutes away, can't see why we haven't been before. We really enjoyed the night and will be back for the next one, all dj's playing something for everyone and did a good job from start to finish. Met some new friends and old ones we haven't seen for quite a while.

Will be there for the next one, well done to all concerned

JT & Mel KTF

Well, done Dale We had a cracking Day / night. The warm up great music with Mick and Mo, Trev Thomas, Chris Morgan, Carl & Maria. The Social side was great enjoyed the company of Azza and the Rugby soul crowd and the Mancunions. Good to see you Kev H and Mrs H. It was great to spend time with the man from Belfast, Phil Shields a true gent, thanks for the lift, I hope you made it back ok

Time for fish and Chips

The main event Rily Smith Hall, Maz, Dale and Emma busy on the door, thank you for the CD and patch. Sean Chapman, full of enthusiasm for the scene a true entertainer, Nige Brown, long live Little Richard tune of the moment for me. Martyn "RL Burnside" Bird well done matee it works every time, like you say it gets people talking

Up stairs, I was torn between the 2 rooms Chris "Captain" Morgan got a bit of your two spots as well as across the road loved I what I heard and your energy is infectious, respect to you. Phil Sheilds class act and Carl and Maria Willingham, just perfect, I am sorry if I missed any one but trying to see everyone.....

Nice to speak to Pete "Casper" I do wish I caught your full set at Stoke. Respect Keep on living it mate..... I think thats about it... oh yess! He can still dance, even in his bye-spoke tailored suit...... Tevski when you are cool as

Guest soulmaguk

We set off from Scarborough' at 7 arriving at 8. Thought it was a slow start to the night, but started to pick up steadily as we were up and down from the upstairs room gathering pints from under the main stage. Thought it quite tricky triangle holding 3 pints of lager then waiting till a 100mph tune was over to get to the other end of the hall as not to get swilly all over the stompers! Seems that dazzzzler should of shifted their points of view to a venture upstairs for an hour or so and caught Dave Rimmer or Soul Sam, many thanks to Dave for putting me on to a couple of cheapies that sound like they will go big.

Referring to the R.L Burnside record, first heard the tune and the buzz on this last year, personally it's not my thing R&B. But I do fully understand how records are made big by the buzz, I give R.L. a year before it's forgotten. On the other hand if you want to know what really makes a record stick around you should of checked out Soul Sam's slot upstairs, he played a record by Arthur Willis "The Hurting Is Over" you can find it on Youtube, this Soul Ska super sound dance record never seems to wane on me. Record of the night for me was again by Sam, the utterly brilliant Roy Roberts "So In Love" this record totally rips into your brain as a full-on 150mph master class 45.

Best bit of fun of the night for us was watching Bearsoul wrestling with a broken speaker and just stopping it falling 6 inches from crashing onto the decks whilst Dave's Magnetics was playing. Overall we had fun, heard some top tunes and the eye candy wasn't bad either.

Jock.

Edited by soulmaguk

Can't really add much more to what has been said above........BUT I WILL!!!

Sorry to my fellow rabbel from Leeds who normally attend but you've missed a f*ckin corker of a day on Saturday.

Well done to Dale and team for both the warm up and main event, superb all round, and also to Mr Morgan for sorting such an eclectic line up for the top room, worked a treat that did.

Highlight of the day for me was Mick & Mo's set in the afternoon. Quite simply it was an education in sheer quality soul music, no two better folk to learn from than those two!! In fact, i was quite pleased everyone else DJing was late because it meant they played for longer!

Trev, Chris and the Willinghams all played some really top stuff in the warm up sessions, which in it's own right has a growing reputation these days. Great banter, cheap beer and great tunes, ideal!!

Quick compliment to the Taddy Chippy, top notch, did the trick at half time

Didn't spend too much time in the main hall (that's not unusal for me though on my trips to Taddy to be honest) but the dancefloor was always busy and hard to negotiate back upstairs with drinks cos everyone was going for it, so it seemed like most enjoyed themselves. Tunes sounded good too. Caught a bit of Mr Chapman's spot from the Balcony and he whipped the crowd up well with his usual enthusiasm.........turns out he's a top geezer too after i finally met him face to face rather than over a telephone/internet!!

Upstairs was THE place to be though for me. Phil Shields, my god, what a DJ. Sooooooooooo under rated, the rare soul warrior did it again. The expensive mixed with the cheap but every single record was superb. Thanks to Sam for playing my request too.

Great to catch up with the Rugby crowd and i'll see you guys in a week or so, top chatting with Andy H and as ever Dale, Andy B, Trev, Mouse etc. All in all, i reet enjoyed me sen!

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank

payed mi 6quid and iv had my opinion.:thumbsup:

theres opinions & then theres talking total bollocks, i would suggest that you're doing the latter, the main room at riley smith is dedicated to playing mainly classic oldies, and having read martins playlist thats exactly what he did, he played an hour of solid northern soul oldies, so i cant see what your problem is, maybe you should post up a list of what you would have liked to have heard, at least then, should you grace this venue with your presence again the d.j.s will have some idea of what your taste is, anyway everyone that has posted on here and everyone that ive spoken too has said what a great night it was, so, one moaner out of a crowd of 300 cant be too bad, they must be doing something right

Had a cracking day and night at Tad :D heard an incredible mix of tunes. Arrived in York Saturday morning nice and early to a nice cooked breakfast :yes: and then caught Andy Hudson on the hop cause I arrived early ( my sandwich making friend wasn't to well.....still managed to make me some tasty cheese sandwiches just before I left mind :yes: )

Got to the warm up about 4 to find a busy bar and loads of friends and some quality music. And on to the main event for 7.30 I spent nearly all the night up stairs in the Honey roadshow and enjoyed every moment. Even when Sian asked me to go get her a coffee, went down stairs found they'd stopped serving coffee and got one of those looks only Sian can do..... :Dlaugh.gif Thanks for having me inflict my tunes on an unsuspecting public Cptn hatsoff2.gif and thank you for the kind words Azza

See you all out and about somewhere soon I hope.

Phil

Guest dazzzzler

well mate looks like your another one who doesnt like anyone saying there opinion on a event ,so you enjoyed yourself gud 4 you,if you read the post i put up.it was between certain times that fell flat for me and my mates,and i never said the sounds wer bad ,4 me just not in the right order to keep floor flowing ,so if ur blind you could see that youself,but then you never see people on here saying there true feelings on a night.thats what these threads are 4 arnt they :yes: .and as for sounds i prefer 4 a bouncing night not many would stand pace bud thumbsup.gif

Edited by dazzzzler
Guest kezza a

first time at taddy and wot a day went to the warm up do first arrived 3.30 good friendly atmosphere djs playing some top tunes dale came over not knowing us from adam introduced himself top bloke after the warm up do over to riley smith hall wot a night well organised top dj line up keeping the floor busy and wot a quality dance floor one of the best so thanks to all who had somthing to do with putting this event on and making a good night a great night

So that's mine & part of Nige's set you found not to your liking.A part of my set were request (obviously not by you),so can you explain to me if I should play things that have been requested or should I say yes I've got it in my box but I'm not going to play it as there's a certain section who won't like it & they have more say then you???I have no problem with you not liking what I played I think that's healthy because if we all liked the same stuff that would then become line dancing,what I don't like is the fact the part of the scene you like is the only thing that should be played & no room for anything else.So if one of those requested made someones night I feel as a dj that is a job well done.If it was that bad a set why did I get applause after some tracks & a reasonable reaction to most tunes,I agree the floor wasn't full all the time but again I repeat I was playing some things people had asked for.............so next time I'll send them to you to vet my request & see what I can play & not play.

HI MARTYN,

The only thing you got wrong on the night was playing RL BURNSIDE- "IT'S SH*TE YOU KNOW" yes.gif:yes: :yes:

Apart from that small indescression you was absolutely spot on with everything that you played, and yes you did play to the floor as indicated by the requests.

0.333 recurring as a percentage of the people who wern't happy with your spot should not even warrant a repost!!!!!!!!!

ROY

98% of my 2 sets were 100 mph Northern Classics from the Classic Venues,,,, Peppered with requests from the crowd!!

Having done an All niter after leaving Taddy im to knackered and cant be arsed to write the play list,,,

as DJs we dont always get it right,, but i refuse to accept i didnt read the floor during my two sets last night,,,

i fact i did have to smile i had to announce someones wedding Anniversary ,,, and the floor di thin SLIGHTLY to Hey Saloney and 100mph track following that the floor was humming !!

From where i stas standing on that stage ,,, both sets the floor was hummimg!

Nige Brown

HI NIGE,

Sorry to correct you old pal but you did not read the floor at all during your two sets...... you actually BLEW IT AWAY with a superb mix of oldies and northern classics which is just what the RSH main room is all about.

Just like Shaun before you the dance floor was busy for nearly all of both your spots. Although i am not really into the oldies and classics these days i can still appreciate when dj's get a venue buzzin as a result of what they play, and this you duly obliged.

The only time i felt a little queezy was when you played Hey Saloney and you sort of apologised for that one yes.gif:yes:

ROY

HI NIGE,

Sorry to correct you old pal but you did not read the floor at all during your two sets...... you actually BLEW IT AWAY with a superb mix of oldies and northern classics which is just what the RSH main room is all about.

Just like Shaun before you the dance floor was busy for nearly all of both your spots. Although i am not really into the oldies and classics these days i can still appreciate when dj's get a venue buzzin as a result of what they play, and this you duly obliged.

The only time i felt a little queezy was when you played Hey Saloney and you sort of apologised for that one yes.gif:yes:

ROY

Hello Roy

No worries mate ,,, like i said i cant /wont accept i got my sets wrong at Taddy!!

I repeat US DJs dont always get it right!

I had to smile at Dazzzzler post 24 when it said it said " me and my mates it fell flat for",,,, So Really its a matter of personal taste and he still hasnt answered some ones qustion of what HE thought would have made the so called flow better!!

All i know is as i said for my 2 sets i had great dancefloor action,,,,

If i didnt satisfy some guy and his mates for 45 mins,,,, i wont lose any sleep

It seems most were happy,,,,

Glad you and your party were happy

Nige

Edited by Nige Brown
Guest hurryup

This site amazes me, if someone isn't 100% happy with a night and they give their feed-back, they get slaughtered. I, for one, also didn't enjoy a certain period of the night due to the fact that I'd never heard a lot of the tracks before.

I DID enjoy Sean Chapman and Nige Brown's spots though, as always Mr Chapman demonstrating the art of quality dj'ing.

As for the room upstairs - were there two? I ventured up twice and the room I popped my head into was empty. I obviously missed the one that was banging!

RL BURNSIDE- "IT'S SH*TE YOU KNOW" :D :D :D

Roy

:yes: :yes: laugh.gif.............poor old R L it gets some stick but I love it (as do plenty of others.....well a few).It's like Marmite you either love it or hate it,no middle ground :lol: You can go stand with Trev & Tony when I play it next time as they are in your gang to :no:

Glad you enjoyed one or two of the others thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Martyn

Roy

:lol::thumbsup::yes:.............poor old R L it gets some stick but I love it (as do plenty of others.....well a few).It's like Marmite you either love it or hate it,no middle ground :no: You can go stand with Trev & Tony when I play it next time as they are in your gang to :yes:

Glad you enjoyed one or two of the others :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

YES MARTYN,

I HATE MARMITE AS WELL :lol::yes: :yes:

ROY

Guest Ranger

This site amazes me, if someone isn't 100% happy with a night and they give their feed-back, they get slaughtered. I, for one, also didn't enjoy a certain period of the night due to the fact that I'd never heard a lot of the tracks before.

I DID enjoy Sean Chapman and Nige Brown's spots though, as always Mr Chapman demonstrating the art of quality dj'ing.

As for the room upstairs - were there two? I ventured up twice and the room I popped my head into was empty. I obviously missed the one that was banging!

You're right, most lookbacks are just a series of back slapping posts so anyone who's willing to stand up and express an honest opinion has my respect as long as that opinion is constructive, genuine (too many mischief makers out there), factually correct and not aimed at individuals. But, in making negative comments they have to expect that they'll be challenged. Slaughtered? i don't think so. Dazzler was very specific about the part of the night he didn't enjoy and the two DJs concerned have exercised their right of reply. Only one other poster has commented specifically about what was said. Everyone else has expressed their opinions about the night, but stayed away from the debate. We don't all like the same tunes and that's how it should be, but why the dig about the attendance? I got there about half an hour earlier and had to get past probably 30 people in the foyer alone before I even got to the main room. To get to the bar I had to time it so I crossed the dance floor inbetween records. When I got there I met a mate who had arrived before me and said his wife was complaining because there weren't any tables left. It may not have been a lockout but it was a level of attendance a lot of promoters would give their eye teeth for. So i ask again why try and give the impression that the attendance was poor?

Oh, and a question for the moderators, Isn't there some site rule against posting in pseudo text speak? because if there isn't there should be :thumbsup:

Edited by Ranger

Carl and i would like to thank Dale,Maz and Emma for Saturday night at Riley Hall. The venue is beautiful and the alternative room could have been taylor made this combined with the warm up seems to accomodate everyone's needs. We read with interest the comments regarding the music in the main room ,we all should respect each others opinions without things becoming personal but would be interested to know what type of music was missing for the chap who posted as we sometimes dj in the main hall ourselves and do try to present a set which comprises something for everyone. As promoters ourselves we value constructive comments [ positive and negative] and know Dale and Maz feel the same however general remarks are difficult to address therefore mybe a few titles will help for future reference. As for requests it has always been Carl's opinion that if it's in the box and requested it will be played.

Have been asked to post play list in TOH room so her we go. [ SOME WERE REQUESTS :thumbsup: ]

Earnestine Eady - Let's talk it over.

Sonatas - Going on down the road.

E.Williams - Trade my soul to the devil.

Cliffhangers - Since you've gone away.

John Harris - Hangin' in.

Lynn Terry - I got a good thing goin'

Patrinelle Staten - Little love affair.

Magnetics - Count the days.

Lee McKinney - I'll keep holding on.

David Thomas - I'll always need you.

Ralf Graham - She just sits there.

Jimmy Ruffin - I gotta let you go [ acetate]

Gerri Granger - Why can't it be tonight [ acetate]

Eddie Holland - I like everything about you.[ acetate]

J.B. Willingham - Don't wanna be hurt no more.

Eddie Whitehead - Just your fool.

George Pepp - The feeling is real.

Mr.Soul - What happened to yesterday.

Duettes - Beyond compare.

Paulette - Love you baby.

thanks to all who stayed until the end, would be great to see some of you at TOH at Easter and of course back at Riley Hall in May.

Maria and Carl

You're right, most lookbacks are just a series of back slapping posts so anyone who's willing to stand up and express an honest opinion has my respect as long as that opinion is constructive, genuine (too many mischief makers out there), factually correct and not aimed at individuals. But, in making negative comments they have to expect that they'll be challenged. Slaughtered? i don't think so. Dazzler was very specific about the part of the night he didn't enjoy and the two DJs concerned have exercised their right of reply. Only one other poster has commented specifically about what was said. Everyone else has expressed their opinions about the night, but stayed away from the debate. We don't all like the same tunes and that's how it should be, but why the dig about the attendance? I got there about half an hour earlier and had to get past probably 30 people in the foyer alone before I even got to the main room. To get to the bar I had to time it so I crossed the dance floor inbetween records. When I got there I met a mate who had arrived before me and said his wife was complaining because there weren't any tables left. It may not have been a lockout but it was a level of attendance a lot of promoters would give their eye teeth for. So i ask again why try and give the impression that the attendance was poor?

Oh, and a question for the moderators, Isn't there some site rule against posting in pseudo text speak? because if there isn't there should be :yes:

RANGER,

A VERY CONCISE AND CORRECT POSTING REGARDING DAZZLERS OPINIONS ON THE NIGHT.

I DON'T THINK HE WAS PARTICULARLY OUT OF ORDER IN EXPRESSING HIS VIEWS ON THE NIGHT BUT HE COULD HAVE EMPLOYED A LITTLE MORE TACT, OBJECTIVITY AND RESPECT.

:thumbsup::lol::thumbsup:

ROY

Guest hurryup

Perhaps I mis-read the first post on here. I was under the impression that the upstairs room was said to be busy? I was merely questioning that statement, not having a dig at attendance in the main room, which incidently, I felt was spot on.

As for dazzzzlers post, dj's should know the score, they're very happy to take the praise and they should therefore be happy to take the flak now and again, as we all know - you can't suit all the people, all of the time. Next time don't take it so personnally.

Perhaps I mis-read the first post on here. I was under the impression that the upstairs room was said to be busy? I was merely questioning that statement, not having a dig at attendance in the main room, which incidently, I felt was spot on.

As for dazzzzlers post, dj's should know the score, they're very happy to take the praise and they should therefore be happy to take the flak now and again, as we all know - you can't suit all the people, all of the time. Next time don't take it so personnally.

As I replied to you before for a small room it was busy enough and too busy at times

Perhaps you went left to the balcony Hehehe or should do as the add says "You should have gone to Specsavers" Lol Over 25 people there when quiet!!!! :thumbsup: Not bad for a small room.

Guest Ranger

My point about attendances wasn't directed at you, I was questioning why Dazzler made a statement which I (and now apparently you) thought was factually incorrect. Thoughtless remarks like that can kill a venue so it's only fair to redress the balance and ask why such a statement was made in the first place.

Yes, DJs should take the rough with the smooth, they can't please everyone, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to reply to comments made about them or the sets they play .

I didn't take anything personally though mate, I'm just a paying punter like you and Dazzler.

Guest hurryup

As I replied to you before for a small room it was busy enough and too busy at times

Perhaps you went left to the balcony Hehehe or should do as the add says "You should have gone to Specsavers" Lol Over 25 people there when quiet!!!! :thumbsup: Not bad for a small room.

I actually went to Specsavers last week :thumbsup::lol: but if you think the room was "throbbing!" then fair enough, we've obviously got different definitions of the word :yes:

Hi .... Maybe i got a wee bit enthusiastic on that one :lol: i hold my hand up .... I Maybe should have put mid and late evening it had patches of not being busy dance-wise yet seats were mostly full with folks listening, few sound probs held us back and i know folks drifted off , frustrating for us yet with the help of Trev & Dale it was eventually sorted out enough to continue . We were certainly busy from Sam ( 10) onwards Generally there is an ebb and flow at this venue.

I always wander around myself at venues with more than one room because i want to soak up whats happening , say hello . dance etc and fully appreciate what your saying ...... all in all we were happy with the response over the night and last thing i want is your goodself or anyone who's made the choice to spend good money , travelling time and all importantly........ that initial choice of deciding to attend a venue , thinking their point of view and opinion and observations are somehow adjudged invalid

Respect to you and everyone who choose this Venue over many others on the night . Apologies for the hyperbole ..i got a tad carried away there (having read it again )

Best Regards

Chris :thumbsup:

Guest hurryup

My point about attendances wasn't directed at you, I was questioning why Dazzler made a statement which I (and now apparently you) thought was factually incorrect. Thoughtless remarks like that can kill a venue so it's only fair to redress the balance and ask why such a statement was made in the first place.

Yes, DJs should take the rough with the smooth, they can't please everyone, but that doesn't mean they don't have the right to reply to comments made about them or the sets they play .

I didn't take anything personally though mate, I'm just a paying punter like you and Dazzler.

Sorry but which statement of dazzzzlers do I think was factually incorrect???

As for my comment about not taking it personnally, it was directed at the dj who got hot under the collar because someone didn't love his spot.

Guest hurryup

Hi .... Maybe i got a wee bit enthusiastic on that one :lol: i hold my hand up .... I Maybe should have put mid and late evening it had patches of not being busy dance-wise yet seats were mostly full with folks listening, few sound probs held us back and i know folks drifted off , frustrating for us yet with the help of Trev & Dale it was eventually sorted out enough to continue . We were certainly busy from Sam ( 10) onwards Generally there is an ebb and flow at this venue.

I always wander around myself at venues with more than one room because i want to soak up whats happening , say hello . dance etc and fully appreciate what your saying ...... all in all we were happy with the response over the night and last thing i want is your goodself or anyone who's made the choice to spend good money , travelling time and all importantly........ that initial choice of deciding to attend a venue , thinking their point of view and opinion and observations are somehow adjudged invalid

Respect to you and everyone who choose this Venue over many others on the night . Apologies for the hyperbole ..i got a tad carried away there (having read it again )

Best Regards

Chris :thumbsup:

Appreciate and respect you for clearing that up bearsoul, nothing wrong with being enthusiastic, but I believe you have to be realistic as-well.

KTF

Guest Ranger

Sorry but which statement of dazzzzlers do I think was factually incorrect???

Attendance, he implied it was poor, you said the main room was 'spot on', i said it was good. Unlike taste in music which, as we've said, is personal, attendance is a matter of fact so either he's wrong or we are.

hi shaun any chance you could put your play list up on here,

The room was just right for me, enough room to dance without bumping in to anyone, the music was right for me give me oldies every time, 100 mph all night, thats not everybodies bag, everyone has different tastes, if you are a real dancer then you should have no complaints about the music that was played, spot on, there were certain records i didnt dance to, there were also some records i have never heard and i have been on the scene for 35 years, and for me thats a good thing, you cant please everyone all the time, including me.

regards my response to your post dazzzzler , i appologise for jumping down your throat, in hindsight i realise you are entitled to your opinion, however i still think it would be helpfull if you post up a brief list of tunes that you like to hear out at venues, on the occasions i dj i often put certain records in the box that i wouldnt normally carry with me because i know that people will be at that venue that like them, for example, if i know that john and cherryl hinchcliff will be in attendance i will always take the fabulous jades, or if john purvis is going to be there then patty stokes gets packed, its ok to say that a dj should be able to read the room / dancefloor but, a little bit of help wouldnt go amiss , after all the dj's arn't psychic, i know for a fact that if you gave an indication of what floats your boat and you were intending to visit riley smith again the promoters / dj's would endevour to play something to your taste, at the end of the day the promoters and dj's want to see everyone go home happy

I am so glad that my expectations of a good night is basically to be entertained thrilled and excited at hearing something I love , and something that maybe I don't know , and i also realise that you can't please everyone in a room all at the same time ... If you could we would all be robots and all go for a toilet break at the same time :thumbsup:

I also would never presume to speak for everyone as I don't think anyone is expert in that field , well maybe God is ?

How could you know everyones likes and dislikes ?

To expect a floor to be rammed for every play I think is too high an expectation and putting that sort of pressure on the dj's will give you a recipe for pretty boring SAFE night ... in my view .

I suppose its ok if you only go out a few times a month and have been doing it for a couple of years , it all being very fresh to your ears.... but what about those that don't agree with you ?

If you participate over lets say ten years and you attend the church week in week out try telling me you won't cry out for something different and start to encourage and applaud someone that has the balls to chance a few that might not hit you straight away ... but after few more plays they hit you good and hard ...Actually all those sounds you throw yourself at started that way :lol:

I have no problem with someone saying it didn't do it for them personally .... I do have a problem with someone that professes to know what is best for ALL OF US though :thumbsup:

Dazzler I think you had more than your pound of flesh .. for 6.00 pounds you had six hours of soul , thats a pound an hour , without including the dayer , you not only had a moan on the night at a specific Dj , you have also chosen to point it out to the world and his wife on the net .... why ? what did that achieve ?

You pointed out that the dj's should take the flack as well as the praise and not to take it personally ..... how can you not take something personally that you believe passionately about ?

Djing doesn't pay that well so alot of the time they are lucky if they break even most nights with the price of petrol and accomodation and most of the time your praise is their wages .

I hope if anything it will now make you think a little harder before you go up there and have a go at someone for showing a bit of artistic flair .... It's not as easy as it looks

I'll get my coat now :yes:

Edited by Carms

Source Advert