Why Do People Post Up While Ebay Auctions Are Still Running On Ebay

Is it just me or does anyone else get slightly pisssed off when people do this....

It always seems to happen with the big records but still I find it so frustrating, It always seems to be people who already own them or have acetates of them too which for me is just tying to hopefully increase the value by making more people aware of it.

It happened with the Charles Johnson and looks like it again with the Viviann Jones...yes both are big records and the chance of getting a bargain are slim but there's still that small chance of a bargain. On the CJ I had a fairly what I thought was hefty snipe 1350ukp and came nowhere near and now it looks like a simliar thing is going to happen with the Viviann Jones. Let people put the hard work in on ebay and finding the record themselves rather than hading it to people on a plate, it's more of a level playing field that way.

Rant over

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Didn't this used to be a rule of the forum, that you couldn't mention anything on ebay that was still " live " ? Or am I getting mixed up and it was a rule of the old Soul Talk list ?

Personally I agree with Callum, and wonder if sometimes sellers deliberately get their ebay sales mentioned in threads by mates etc, in order to push up the price ? Bargains are few and far between, but it enriches my life when i hear that so-and-so collector has bought some major rare 45 for a pittance on the Bay* ! (* can also be read as a). internet generally, b). some riffy basement/warehouse, c). on a dealers list where it's been listed for the 'wrong' side/ wrong category/underpriced, etc

Social source share

If it was a unwritten rule it should be brought back IMO...maybe something for the moderators to think about?

Like you mentioned and i didn't think if this but it could be dealers/sellers helping thier friends push up the value especially these days as we are seing more and more american ebay sellers lisiting sales on Soul Source.

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

so the ebay auction advert next to this thread that picks up on price and popularity would have to go

Slightly different kettle of fish I would think as it's not an actual post pointing out a specific auction. You may stumble across a bargain in the ebay advert next to the thread. I know i have in the past

Callum

Social source share

No worries mate....the cat was out the bag and i'm sure you'd of picked up on it as you spend most of your life on SS and Ebay. I could of waited till the auction finished but thought i'd make my point. I cant see you bidding on this though you're too bloody tight :thumbsup:

Callum

Now, now Callum, there's a world of difference between being tight and not willing to overpay the odds young man :D

Social source share

In 100% of the times an ebay item gets "announced" on here you can bet the person announcing it wont take part in the auction anyway.

The need for "5 minutes stardom" and/or jealousy seem to be the main reasons I suppose.

Think that answers your question callum. And yes, I have been upset by this about 100 times at least myself in the past.

Social source share

Pointless thread as this topic had been discussed to death before. :thumbsup:

Whoever thinks that any ultra-rarities/big titles listed in the R&B/Soul section* would sell cheaper because they weren't discussed on SS doesn't really live on planet earth :D

Callum, I can understand that you're pi**ed off and frustrated but don't blame any on-board discussion. Blame Ebay for their worldwide range and availability.

* of course I know there are still many bargains misplaced in other sections but these bargains aren't discussed on-board before they ended, are they?

Social source share

Whoever thinks that any ultra-rarities/big titles listed in the R&B/Soul section* would sell cheaper because they weren't discussed on SS doesn't really live on planet earth :thumbsup:

Think you miss the point mate, its not about big, known and establihsed rarities that a blind man would find on ebay every day...its about semi-known, miss-listed, wrongly-titled and so on bargain auctions...

Social source share

Marc, that might have been your point but not Callum's point:

It happened with the Charles Johnson and looks like it again with the Viviann Jones...yes both are big records and the chance of getting a bargain are slim but there's still that small chance of a bargain.

Edited by Benji
Social source share

:thumbsup:

mmmh

think you are (only) half-right there...as both are not (were not in the case of cj) known to many at all. vivian jones still C/UP for example..

no point with the big known stuff like al williams or joe jama at all anyway, especially when listed correctly. With you on that one.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Pointless thread as this topic had been discussed to death before. :thumbsup:

Whoever thinks that any ultra-rarities/big titles listed in the R&B/Soul section* would sell cheaper because they weren't discussed on SS doesn't really live on planet earth :wub:

Callum, I can understand that you're pi**ed off and frustrated but don't blame any on-board discussion. Blame Ebay for their worldwide range and availability.

* of course I know there are still many bargains misplaced in other sections but these bargains aren't discussed on-board before they ended, are they?

I disagree with you Benji....Vivian Jones like Marc has said is not a big northern oldie or played in main rooms all that often mainly becasue people just dont have them to play. So therefore to me I'd say it was a semi-known and therefore has potential to slip through slightly cheaper than usual. I'm sure they'll be a few collectors on here now who didn't know they record and now like record and are contemplating having a bid.

If it's a pointless topic, why waste your time posting your thoughts :D

Callum

Social source share

All you can do is bid what you think a record is worth. I doubt Soul Source has too much influence in what happens on ebay, yes some will pick up on an auction because of talk on here but it's usually top end stuff most will know about. It's the stuff Benji mentions that are misplaced in other sections you don't want highlighting.

Social source share

All you can do is bid what you think a record is worth. I doubt Soul Source has too much influence in what happens on ebay, yes some will pick up on an auction because of talk on here but it's usually top end stuff most will know about. It's the stuff Benji mentions that are misplaced in other sections you don't want highlighting.

Each to thier own and all that! Personally I rate this record highly and would be confident i putting it into a set in any main room, well not any but most of the ones I travel too....When Hoss played at Lifeline the floor was rammed! Hopefully people understood the point i was trying to make.

Callum

Social source share

Each to thier own and all that! Personally I rate this record highly and would be confident i putting it into a set in any main room, well not any but most of the ones I travel too....When Hoss played at Lifeline the floor was rammed! Hopefully people understood the point i was trying to make.

Callum

Maybe sounds better played out loud than it does over a laptop. Would you feel the same if it was a tenner? Like you say each to their own.

I don't think you will ever stop people talking about live ebay auctions, or any other for that matter. People are on here to talk about the scene and records and this issue has been about as long as soul forums and ebay have been about, right back to the old e-mail based chat groups.

Social source share

I agree with Cal and have expressed that opinion before about people blabbing about auctions (and as marc points out, never the people actually bidding) and about the ebay ads. It is not true that you can just "bid your max" and hope to win it because if more people see items it's more likely that you will a) get outbid or b) have to pay way more than you would have to otherwise. It makes all the difference with oddball unknown items, if two people see it versus five, the same item can go for $10 versus $1000. For example, there was an item that ended yesterday that pretty much has never come up for sale. I put in a ridiculous bid of $2000 since I figured I would never see it for sale again. Another big name northern DJ bid $1000 and I ended up paying a ridiculous amount for it. It was still less than my max but if that person happened to not bid I would have gotten it for about $200. This wasn't a case of soul source drawing attention to the item but is an example of the type of item that it makes a huge difference as to who sees it. There have been other cases in the past of soul source drawing attention to items that led me to lose the record or that made a huge difference in the ending price for me even though I did win it.

Social source share

there was a little beaver 45 that ended about a week ago "i'm a man just lime you / don't let it end this way" on cat. It ended prettyu cheap and if discussed on here I think would have gone for a lot more.

I had an mp3 of it from a japanese blog about 4 years ago and this is the first copy i've seen on ebay.

now there will no doubt be copies around but it must still be relaively unknown in the grand scheme of things. I've personally seen "do right man" more times.

i've never heard a DJ play it and its fantastic.

Social source share

there was a little beaver 45 that ended about a week ago "i'm a man just lime you / don't let it end this way" on cat. It ended prettyu cheap and if discussed on here I think would have gone for a lot more.

I had an mp3 of it from a japanese blog about 4 years ago and this is the first copy i've seen on ebay.

now there will no doubt be copies around but it must still be relaively unknown in the grand scheme of things. I've personally seen "do right man" more times.

i've never heard a DJ play it and its fantastic.

i had plenty more deals just this month, that 45 I posted was just an example from yesterday... not even my only example from yesterday.

I recently learned on here about the reginas on deblyn being someone's cover up and someone had it for sale for 700 pounds. I got it on ebay for $150 this month because that auction wasn't talked about. So it was the opposed of what's being discussed here (a live ebay auction being posted about). I'm sure if it was posted here it would have gone for much more.

Social source share

I agree, the rule (which was/is also a Soul Talk rule) about not mentioning live eBay auctions should be re-introduced thumbsup.gif

I put a lot of effort into finding stuff -including trawling eBay - especially for less well-known and obscure stuff.

It pisses me off when someone posts on here something about a live auction that I'm sure by the very fact of the post they have no intention of bidding on themselves.

I want as little competition as possible, and for all my hard work searching to pay off - not for this to then be ruined by some t*** who is just being clever (where is that w@nk*r emoticon when you need it)

Having a 'don't mention live eBay auctions' rule hurts nobody - but not having the rule obviously pisses quite a lot of people off.

I would happily not have the eBay adverts in the top right hand corner too yes.gif

The thrill of the chase, and the time on the clock searching (eBay or otherwise) are still a big part of collecting for me - having some t*** post up an auction on here for all to see just doesn't fit - it's just spoiling yes.gif

Cheers

Richard

(Grumpy from Newark )

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I think having a rule where no talking about live auctions is a good thing.

there will be loop holes though like mentioning a very obscure artists in all about the soul or look at your box just as a 45 by the artist happens to be on ebay.

Social source share

To be honest couldn't care less if discussion of live Ebay auctions will be banned or not. 1.000's of Soul records sell on Ebay every day and maybe 2-3 of them are discussed here so that's hardly a threat to all you bargain hunters out there is it?

But if ban means we also can get rid of all those dull-boring-timewasting-tedious-notfunny "look at that tosser trying to sell a 5 quid pressing for a ton on Ebay"-or-"look at that stupid misleading item description"-threads I fully agree :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I think its a good thing cos ive bagged a couple of bargains of long time wants i wouldnt of noticed as i dont live my life on Ebay cos not everything is labelled under Northern Soul and im sick to death of putting in individual searches, what goes around comes around and i may of missed out on a couple before but hey thats life it could work in your favour one day and you could always put a want up and what your willing to pay in the wants section if you miss out cos it went for more than you cold afford or was willing to pay, its worked for e and ive grabbed tunes cheaper than what i would of had to pay the night before on ebay :lol:

please no unwritten rules ffs whats all that about :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have to plead guilty to doing this and i have apologised to Callum (and im not going to do it again ever honest)but when you are up against a millionaire i dont think you stand a chance and to believe he or they would not see it on the Bay is wishful thinking. as far a Charles Johnson is concerned(its actually James lynn Marsh) i bought it of Mitch Parkin nearly 2 years ago as an unknown in fact when i played it to Mace, Des parker, Hoss and Roger Banks non knew it so i knew i was on to a good thing. i covered it up as J T Parker as a bit of a piss take as as lot of folks still didnt know it was really was on If you wanna hold on. i played it in every set and Karl Heard happened to hear it and being a mate i told him who it was the rest is history. Andy Dyson heard me play it at Luton and said i think i may have this. Oh by the way have you seen the Mello Souls on the Bay :thumbsup:

Social source share

To be honest couldn't care less if discussion of live Ebay auctions will be banned or not. 1.000's of Soul records sell on Ebay every day and maybe 2-3 of them are discussed here so that's hardly a threat to all you bargain hunters out there is it?

But if ban means we also can get rid of all those dull-boring-timewasting-tedious-notfunny "look at that tosser trying to sell a 5 quid pressing for a ton on Ebay"-or-"look at that stupid misleading item description"-threads I fully agree :thumbsup:

Yes and those 2 or 3 (is there that many?) that are discussed are more often than not highly sought after and so would have been noticed by most, especially those that are in a position to pay big money on a disc.

As for the other 5 quid boot for a ton I don't know why they still cause a fuss as they are commonplace these days.

Social source share

Sorry I agree with benji- I thought we had free speech in this country and most of the others in Europe and the US etc The only people who are miffed is those that want to get it cheap (why not) and then sell it on for a considerable profit (Who doesnt?)

This is just as bad as the cover -up debate!

Take this example :Hi Nev - I found this thing on ebay - sounds quite good heres the link! The word spreads and the record goes up in price as the bids start to hike to $100

Now Marc if this was one of your records you were selling would you turn round to the highest bidder and say - Its ok mate Ill give it to you for 5 dollars because no-one on here should have been discussing it " Not Likely" hey mr Forrest!

If you dont want someone to know you keep stum! SIMPLES!

One of my close friends is the Gasher on here. However we both know we only do each other a favour where records are concerend if we both benefit from it meaning more than one copy otherwise its winner takes all! " Old saying " Alls Fair in Love and records"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert