Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Do have a few bits...

Tony Middleton - Spanish Maiden - Storm

Ray Barretto - Hard Hands - Fania

" " - Soul Drummers - " "

Bobby Valentin - Bad Breath - Fania

TNT Band - Meditation - Cotique

Believe Joe favours 'Bad breath'...but suppose he has no choice.

:wicked:

Funnily enough I do have 'Bad Breath'

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Was chatting to Johnny Beggs this weekend about Latin Soul, and got me thinking, which are the best Latin Soul releases?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Joe Bataan - Gypsy Woman - Fania

Social source share

Joe Bataan - Gypsy Woman - Fania

Orchestra Harlow- that groovy shingaling (Fania)

Joe Cuba- Psychedelic baby/El Pito/Bang Bang and others (Tico)

Jimmy Castor- Block Party and It's Ok (both Jet Set) both have great latin bits/aspects in them :wicked: (northern-latin crossover I think they're 'classified' as) :yes:

Social source share

Guest funky4u

aS SAID ABOVE - THE fANIA LABEL IS A GREAT PLACE TO START

newer stuff check:

https://www.faroutrecordings.com

Check on there Azymuth, Joyce...

And check my shows out - i drop of this - doing a latin / jazz dance special radio show and gig this week =-radio from 8pm on https://www.scratchnspin.net

Gig: JAZZIN @ Soho Spice, Wardour St W1, London firday 7th oct,- come along - lots of this ish.

cheers.

Edited by funky4u
Social source share

Lpook out for the "107th Street Stickball Team" Album on "Dorada" which contains the "On Old Broadway" track, probably harder to find than the 45. One of the foundation blocks of any Latin Soul "collection" has to be:-

Hector Rivera (AKA Ray Pollard) - Do It To Me - Barry

On the flip of "At The Party" this has to be one of the most accessable pieces of quality Latin Soul at Pocket Money prices.

Social source share

Lpook out for the "107th Street Stickball Team" Album on "Dorada" which contains the "On Old Broadway" track, probably harder to find than the 45. One of the foundation blocks of any Latin Soul "collection" has to be:-

Hector Rivera (AKA Ray Pollard) - Do It To Me - Barry

On the flip of "At The Party" this has to be one of the most accessable pieces of quality Latin Soul at Pocket Money prices.

Was just gonna say "Do it To Me", but you beat me to it Des (allways thought it was Hector Rivera with Ray Pollard on vocals or is HR actually RP then?)

Will Add Harvey Averne - never learned to dance (still wanted please!!)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

excellent tune dave ..... danced me arse off when rob messer played it at stoke ..i only have iton the boogaloo volume one album unfortunately

Davie

Social source share

Got tons of this stuff - fell in love with it in my mod days and still buy it whenever I see stuff:

Ray Barretto: "Mercy Mercy Baby" "Together/New York" "Soul Drummers" "Right On" "Teacher Of Love" - all Fania 45s and "Do You Dig It" on UA.

My fave of all time is Joe Bataan: "Gypsy Woman/So Fine" "Special Girl/Magic Rose" "What Good Is A Castle" "Subway Joe" all Fania 45s - totally totally super soulful!

Monguito - Hey Sister - Fania

Ray Jay & Eastsiders - Searchin' - Cotique

Mace has already mentioned Bobby Valentin which crossed to the northern scene - Larry Harlow - Mess Around on gold Fania did too.

Pete Rodriguez - I Like It Like That on Alegre is fantastic and I only got it on 45 this week (had it on LP for ages)

Harvey Averne - Central Park - Uptite (fave of Jamie's dad!!)

David Coleman (not not the BBC sports presenter!!) - Drown My Heart on Barry

Hector rivera - At the Party on Barry

LeBron Bros - Boogaloo Blues on Cotique

Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty - Alegre

Anyone who fancies delving into this style for the first time should check out the "We Got Latin Soul" compilations that came out on a Charly subsidiary label "Caliente" in the mid 80s - Vols 1 & 2 are class, 3 is a bit weaker with a lot of covers e.g a 100mph bongo version of Cool Jerk by Barretto!! I got them on vinyl at the time, but i'm sure they've been re-released on CDs by now???? Anyhow, get stuck in, it's quality! I'm gonna do an all latin soul set one day!!!!

Rich

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

Was just gonna say "Do it To Me", but you beat me to it Des (allways thought it was Hector Rivera with Ray Pollard on vocals or is HR actually RP then?)

Hi Dave,

HR is actually the latin band leader (famous in his own right) and it is the late great RP on lead vocals :wicked:

Rich

Social source share

Latin Soul still rates high in my books, loved it since hearing Gary Rushbrook spin Mongo 'Use It B4 You ose It' as Rex Garvin waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back!! Have loads of this stuff and for those that want to get into it Dusty Groove in Chicago is a great place to start. We spun the 1000mph version of 'I watched you slowly slip away' at the Plinston 1st Anniversary dance comp which really screwed up the dancers!!! On CD there must be getting on for well over 200 Cds out there of the really rare stuff so start hunting boys and girls.

Social source share

3 I've got that are not strictly latin but have very strong influences.

A spanish boy - The Rubies- Vee Jay.

I better run - Barret Strong - Tollie.

Its a sad thing - Ray Pollard - UA.

Tommy Navarro - I cried my life away - Du Jac.

That's 4 not 3 Craig :yes:

Recently started playing Barrett Strong again, after digging it out of an old box.

Great tune :wicked:

Ther's lots of stuff

Hector Rivera I want a chance for Romance

Absolute quality tune! yes.gif

Social source share

That's 4 not 3 Craig :yes:

Recently started playing Barrett Strong again, after digging it out of an old box.

Great tune :wicked:

Absolute quality tune! yes.gif

just remembered another one I recently played out (early!)

High Keyes- Que Sera Sera (Atco)

Cheap as tortilla chips!

Martin

Social source share

Guest Damien

"Pow wow " by Manny Corchado on Decca

would suggest "You dig" by Johnny Zamot on Decca too or Tony Middleton "return to spanish harlem/satisfied" on Speed...

So many goodies

Some that I still need are :

Harvey A. Dozen / Never learned to dance / Uptite

Tito Puente / Hit the bongo / Tico

Ray Medina / Head 's head / Mares

Pm if you can help !

Cheers

Social source share

Was chatting to Johnny Beggs this weekend about Latin Soul, and got me thinking, which are the best Latin Soul releases?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Here`s a couple,

Black Sugar-Too Late (from Peru)

The Bitter & The Sweet-I won`t have no babies for you (this has a latin feel to it imo)

Dave f...................

Social source share

Got tons of this stuff - fell in love with it in my mod days ....

Rich

Ah, them were the good old days eh Rich :wicked:

Do you remember when the mod scene went latin loopy though, and all sorts of shite started getting played.

Latin versions of all sorts of tunes were getting played, and then onto tracks with 30 word non english titles and lyrics that did your nut in!

Seem to remember it died a death at that point... :yes:biggrin.gif:huh:

Social source share

There is a great newish 45

by Manteca - Tremendo Boogaloo (Freestyle records)

It rips up dancefloors and is getting missed by many. Although it is a Boogaloo rather than Latin Soul.

Simon

WARNING **** BUT REMEMBER TO PLAY IT ON 33rpm !!! :wicked:

Social source share

Ah, them were the good old days eh Rich :wicked:

Do you remember when the mod scene went latin loopy though, and all sorts of shite started getting played.

Latin versions of all sorts of tunes were getting played, and then onto tracks with 30 word non english titles and lyrics that did your nut in!

Seem to remember it died a death at that point... :yes:biggrin.gif:huh:

I do Mace. Went into overkill and started making me not like it!!! Still, all these years later I still love it and am still buying it :yes: - Joe Bataan is so soulful - my hero after Curtis Mayfield personally. Let's do a latin hour!!!

Rich

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Got tons of this stuff - fell in love with it in my mod days and still buy it whenever I see stuff:

Ray Barretto: "Mercy Mercy Baby" "Together/New York" "Soul Drummers" "Right On" "Teacher Of Love" - all Fania 45s and "Do You Dig It" on UA.

My fave of all time is Joe Bataan: "Gypsy Woman/So Fine" "Special Girl/Magic Rose" "What Good Is A Castle" "Subway Joe" all Fania 45s - totally totally super soulful!

Monguito - Hey Sister - Fania

Ray Jay & Eastsiders - Searchin' - Cotique

Mace has already mentioned Bobby Valentin which crossed to the northern scene - Larry Harlow - Mess Around on gold Fania did too.

Pete Rodriguez - I Like It Like That on Alegre is fantastic and I only got it on 45 this week (had it on LP for ages)

Harvey Averne - Central Park - Uptite (fave of Jamie's dad!!)

David Coleman (not not the BBC sports presenter!!) - Drown My Heart on Barry

Hector rivera - At the Party on Barry

LeBron Bros - Boogaloo Blues on Cotique

Ricardo Ray - Nitty Gritty - Alegre

Anyone who fancies delving into this style for the first time should check out the "We Got Latin Soul" compilations that came out on a Charly subsidiary label "Caliente" in the mid 80s - Vols 1 & 2 are class, 3 is a bit weaker with a lot of covers e.g a 100mph bongo version of Cool Jerk by Barretto!! I got them on vinyl at the time, but i'm sure they've been re-released on CDs by now???? Anyhow, get stuck in, it's quality! I'm gonna do an all latin soul set one day!!!!

Rich

It was David Coleman I tell you... he was just a little more loose in his younger days, btw have you heard that rare funk number by Steve Ryder ???

Happy Birthday Mr Buckley

Social source share

"Pow wow " by Manny Corchado on Decca

would suggest "You dig" by Johnny Zamot on Decca too or Tony Middleton "return to spanish harlem/satisfied" on Speed...

So many goodies

Some that I still need are :

Tito Puente / Hit the bongo / Tico

Pm if you can help !

Cheers

Don't really see Tito Puente "Hit The Bongo" as Latin Soul, definitely Latin though and an alarmingly brilliant sound...keep meaning to pick this up, LP only i believe ?

Brett

Social source share

> David Coleman - Drown My Heart (Barry)

> Monguito Santamaria - Hey Sister (Pink Elephant)

> Joe Bataan - Special Girl (Fania)

Played all these last time I played the 100 Club. It's very much under-rated is Latin. Val went mental over the David Coleman, which has an even better flip.

Ady C also played the heart-stopping Gene McDaniels 'Sweet Lover No More' at the 100 Club once. That's amazing that is.

I'm also fond of the Coasters version of Cool Jerk...

Social source share

The Hector Riviera is a really hard record to get......

Also got to agree the David Coleman is superb.....deserves more exposure, although it has had a fair bit in the mod clubs.

Also very fond of the Harvey Averne....looks like theres a queue forming for that one too...

Out of interest, isn't the Rocky Gil on Teardrop a latin group, and also The Enchantments on Faro.....?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Guest funky4u

LIVE NOW!! TUNE IN!!! CLICK:

https://scratchnspin.net:8000/listen.pls

IF UR INTO LATIN SOUL - U'LL LUV THIS - LIVE NOW...

Tune in to this Jazz Dance Special - Jazz Classics - some guarenteed you've never heard before - and Brazh and Latin Jazz + plus Nu Wave Jazz from the likes of Platinum Pied Pipers, G Hop + More!!

Jazz, be-bop, G Hop, Hip Hop, Salsa, Cuban Jazz, go-go, funk, Raregroove, Swing, Blues and Latain...

gangstarr-jazzthing.jpg

Music from:

joe Bataan, Gwen McCrae, Chuck Brown & the Soul Searchers, Billy Taylor, Mark De Clove-Lowe, Mpho Skeef, G Hop, Lee Rocker, Mark Murphy, Earth Wind & Fire, Paul Aaaron, Platenum Pied Pipers, Sinatra + More!...

+ DJ Mikeal from Stompin' (Sweden) serves up his choice Jazz and Latin...A whole range of Fania, Latin Soul-Salsa!!

Tune in!! tonite by clicking:

https://scratchnspin.net:8000/listen.pls

Show times:

UK:

8-9pm part2: 11pm- 1am

EAST USA:

3-4pm EST Part2: 6-8pm EST

West USA:

Midday-1pm PST part2: 3-5pm PST

More Jazz Dance and Latin same time same place next week! - Tune in!!

Gig this week:

JAZZIN' @ Soho Spice, Wardour St, London W1, UK Friday 7th October. Free b4 10pm £5 after 10pm.

DJs:

* Dom Servini (Wah Wah 45s, Straight No Chaser Mag)

* Paul Aaaron (Groove Lineage Radio, Scratch N Spin, Grind Mode Mag)

* featuring all your favourite Organists, and very

* special guests Spencer Lowe of IF Music.

Hosted By Wah Wah 45s Records. Sponsored by If Music - the best Jazz and Eclectic shop in London Town!!

Check www.wahwah45s.com for more information

And don't forget the new SNC is out now, including the Soundin Off page

with more of Signor Servinis reviews. www.straightnochaser.co.uk

Be sure to check www.ifmusic.co.uk for the finest vinyl selection in London

town

PM / Email / or post in here for Limited Guestlist for this gig.

8)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!