Usa Record Buyers

Often wondered who would buy a record at the time of release in the USA like 'Triumphs - coming to your rescue, or Vibrations - cause your mine, etc. You know, records that were not really too Motown sounding but also not really listenable or danceable for an average 'disco'. There are thousands of tunes like this that obviously sold some copies, even if only a few dozen. Anybody know anybody who were buyin as new releases? I'd love to know who did, so I could ask them why!!

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Often wondered who would buy a record at the time of release in the USA like 'Triumphs - coming to your rescue, or Vibrations - cause your mine, etc. You know, records that were not really too Motown sounding but also not really listenable or danceable for an average 'disco'. There are thousands of tunes like this that obviously sold some copies, even if only a few dozen. Anybody know anybody who were buyin as new releases? I'd love to know who did, so I could ask them why!!

Ed

Just out of interest, I once met two blokes (brothers) & record dealers in Chicago who grew up in 60's Detroit in their teens. They told me that being from the white community, "race" music was not acceptable and they used to steal soul record from the shops (couldn't be seen buying them) and play them when their parents were out the house!! Also, "My Leading Lady" was a huge seller locally as the blokes in High school bought it for their girlfriends.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!