Anyone Got An Amp To Sell

Pete S

Need an amplifier, preferably black, it's just for home hi-fi use, happy to buy second hand but don't want to pay over 100 quid to be honest, anyone got one for sale or maybe recommend an online place to buy one from? Loads of second hand ones on ebay but I've not idea what's any good or not: Marantz, nad, Pioneer etc etc.

is this any good

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cambridge-Audio-A1-mk-3-Special-Edition-Amplifier-Amp-/200592212171?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item2eb43a40cb

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 30
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

No speakers left have you Pete :thumbsup: ,have you had a look at richer sounds ?

Well we took the amp back today for a refund and my missus refused to leave the shop until they gave us a set of speakers to make up for the damaged ones, eventually after 20 minutes they gave in and let us have a pair :yes:

and they're better than the ones I blew up!

Richer Sounds only have one budget amp, Cambridge Audio, and it's very basic for 79 quid

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Maranta are ok, Nad are good, arcam are good, pioneer are ok like he says above go to richer sounds you will get speakers and an amp fairly cheap but you may need phono amp as most amplifiers now unless high end don't have a phono output.

Mark

Probably more likely to buy a vintage one I think Mark.

Kicking myself cos I chucked one away when I moved here.

Social source share

Maranta are ok, Nad are good, arcam are good, pioneer are ok like he says above go to richer sounds you will get speakers and an amp fairly cheap but you may need phono amp as most amplifiers now unless high end don't have a phono output.

Mark

or you could use a nice pre-amp like the one you've returned, :yes:

sorry Pete coudn't resist,

Cambridge Audio used to make very good Hi-Fi, not so sure about their more up to date products. :thumbsup:

Social source share

or you could use a nice pre-amp like the one you've returned, :yes:

sorry Pete coudn't resist,

Cambridge Audio used to make very good Hi-Fi, not so sure about their more up to date products. :yes:

In the shop, they wouldn't have it that it was a pre-amp because it didn't say pre-amp on the unit, the guy kept saying "it says it's an amplifier so we sold it as an amplifier" and they put it back out as an amplifier :thumbsup:

Social source share

In the shop, they wouldn't have it that it was a pre-amp because it didn't say pre-amp on the unit, the guy kept saying "it says it's an amplifier so we sold it as an amplifier" and they put it back out as an amplifier :thumbsup:

Muppets, on your pics you can see marked on back panel pre amp out, no speaker outputs, no internal power amp on that model, Simples. :yes:

Pity the next customer.

Social source share

only 25 watts? not too good

can do you a 100 watts a side Teac s/h for £140 inc shipping. Should be good for all uses and has loads of inputs (if you can stretch your budget)

https://www.saveltd.co.uk/teac-r-a600-amplifier-used-1860-p.asp

Pete

Thanks Pete, not sure if I will be allowed to spend that much though :thumbsup:

see if I can sell a record or two in the morning

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Always try Richer Sounds before buying second hand. Their deals are fantastic sometimes, especially clerance stuff.

The Cambridge Audio amps are pretty good, especially the higher end of the range (such as Azur) but the basic A series are still good for the prices. But you'd need to get a pre-amp fitted or buy an external pre-amp.

I have an Azur 640A at home and an A5 special in the office and I can't fault them.

Always check their website for special offers.

Paul

Social source share

Pete got a pro sound 100w Amp in the garage if thats any good to you, will have to check it works, Yours for the cost of postage

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Always try Richer Sounds before buying second hand. Their deals are fantastic sometimes, especially clerance stuff.

The Cambridge Audio amps are pretty good, especially the higher end of the range (such as Azur) but the basic A series are still good for the prices. But you'd need to get a pre-amp fitted or buy an external pre-amp.

I have an Azur 640A at home and an A5 special in the office and I can't fault them.

Always check their website for special offers.

Paul

Paul, mention of pre-amps sends shudders diown my spine :hatsoff2:

ta for the info

Social source share

AS most new amplifiers do not have adesignated input for phono you have to use the auxilliary input but the turntable output is very low so you have to have a small amplifier to boost the signal have a look at this to give you an idea of what it is https://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/5375 like all things they vary in price form lowish to very expensive. this is the one i have https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Trichord-Dino-Mk2-Phono-Stage-Excellent-Performer-/390302086172?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5adfd1341c.

mark

Edited by mark.b
Social source share

I have been using a Cheep bottom end amp for the last 5 years and as long as you dont play it out at full belt the sound reproduction is fine, as for using high fidelity amps for play 1960s Northern & In Petes case Ska 45s mostley recoreded in mono is, well over the top, the discs were not made to be played on systems that can handle the Hi Fidelity in fact I would arguee that unless you were listerning to classical music or CDs then your wasting your money, maybe some of the more modern 70s+ recordings then yes go for a better amp, there a lot of bull talked about Hi Fi and unless your into pure sound and have dedicated listenrooms its not worth paying the extra if you want a better sound Spend you money on good speakers And most imporantly A good deck with a good stylus so you dont damage you recoreds

All IMO and all that :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have been using a Cheep bottom end amp for the last 5 years and as long as you dont play it out at full belt the sound reproduction is fine, as for using high fidelity amps for play 1960s Northern & In Petes case Ska 45s mostley recoreded in mono is, well over the top, the discs were not made to be played on systems that can handle the Hi Fidelity in fact I would arguee that unless you were listerning to classical music or CDs then your wasting your money, maybe some of the more modern 70s+ recordings then yes go for a better amp, there a lot of bull talked about Hi Fi and unless your into pure sound and have dedicated listenrooms its not worth paying the extra if you want a better sound Spend you money on good speakers And most imporantly A good deck with a good stylus so you dont damage you recoreds

All IMO and all that :thumbsup:

It is just for playing old 60's records...

Social source share

Try the local car boot pete, you should pick one up most weeks around the west mids area

Not had much luck buying electrical stuff from boot sales, bought a couple of dansettes which I was assured would work, they didn't, but if I can be arsed to get up early I'll go this saturday, every boot sale I got to, I bump into Scotty!

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest TrimmTrab

If you're still looking, I've got a clean black Cambridge Mk3 150w. No scratches, had it for 10 years or so, now surplus to needs. £25 delivered.

Reece 07703 184915

Social source share

If you're still looking, I've got a clean black Cambridge Mk3 150w. No scratches, had it for 10 years or so, now surplus to needs. £25 delivered.

Reece 07703 184915

I would have done, thanks, but ended up paying £65 for a Denon from a place someone on here put me onto, if I could remember who they were I'd recommend them as the service was excellent.

Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

I would have done, thanks, but ended up paying £65 for a Denon from a place someone on here put me onto, if I could remember who they were I'd recommend them as the service was excellent.

No problem mate, a Denon for 60quid aint a bad deal. I was just going through some of the other audio sales on here, blimey, wish I'd come across them a couple of weeks back, some right squeezes. A pair of Techincs for £120!!!!!!!!!!!. Just noticed your imac for sale, you'd get that easy on Ebay, there's not a huge difference in 2nd hand prices between the 21" and 27" intel Macs. Even the old G5 towers are still fetching around £300 on there.

Social source share

No problem mate, a Denon for 60quid aint a bad deal. I was just going through some of the other audio sales on here, blimey, wish I'd come across them a couple of weeks back, some right squeezes. A pair of Techincs for £120!!!!!!!!!!!. Just noticed your imac for sale, you'd get that easy on Ebay, there's not a huge difference in 2nd hand prices between the 21" and 27" intel Macs. Even the old G5 towers are still fetching around £300 on there.

Yeah it's a shame about the iMac, I just haven't really had chance to get to put it through it's paces, there's always something else more important, though this weekend I decided to swap things round a bit; I have a pc which the iphone is connected to with an itunes library of 3000 songs, and the iMac with an itunes library of 26,000 songs. Thought it was a bit daft and they should be the other way round, so I backed up the 26,000 tracks to dvd discs, deleted the library and moved the 3000 track library over to the iMac. So far so good, all worked great. Then I starto import the 26,000 track library into the PC, all went well up to 19,000 or so tracks then it just went mad. It showed the tracks importing, but wouldn't update the total, despite the tracks processing. Three days later, I am still trying to successfully import the itunes library into the pc, I tried putting all the back up discs content onto a removable drive, imported them off there, again it showed them going in, but after the sync, they weren't there!

I know you didn't want to know any of that but some genius might read it and be able to help!

On the plus side, my KB Discomatic is back with me and fully working! After 5 months of repair. Unfortunately I've got no room for it so I'm going to have to sell it by the looks of it. Pic below if anyone's interested.

By the way, was looking at your avatar and is it Peter Osgood scoting in the FA Cup replay at Old Trafford in 1970? I actually supported Chelsea then, well as well as Wolves, my Mom knitted me a Chelsea scarf especially for that replay, can remember it like it was yesterday, it got nicked off me and destroyed when I wore it to school the thursday morning after the replay :(

third item down on this webpage

https://www.barkersvintageamusements.co.uk/sale.html

John_Lennon%27s_jukebox.jpg

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

:( nice pair as well!

Social source share

Guest pauldicko

GLAD YOU GOT THAT ONE FIXED MATE. THE OTHER JUKEY THE ONLY THING IVE FOUND SO FAR IS AN INSTALLATION / SERVICE MANUAL BUT ITS IN GERMAN AND NOT CHEAP - NO GOOD ON EITHER ACCOUNT REALLY.

WE WAS GUTTED IN THESE PARTS AFTER THAT REPLAY - BUT WHAT A GAME PROPER BLOOD AND GUTS CLASS FOOTBALL - NOT LIKE THE HANDBAGS AND DIVING AT DAWN WE GET IN THE PREMIERSHIP THESE DAYS. LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS - THOSE WERE THE DAYS []https://www.fa-cupfinals.co.uk/1970.htm

Edited by pauldicko
Social source share