DIY BOOTLEGS OF BOOTLEGS

grant

LOOKIN THRU A RECORD 'COLLECTION' THE OTHER DAY I WAS AMAZED TO SEE SOME 45'S IN THERE THAT HAD DOWNLOADED OR SCANNED ORIGINAL LABELS STUCK OVER THE BOOT OR RE-ISSUE LABEL. CLOSE UP YOU COULD TELL IT WAS A SNIDE, BUT I WOULD IMAGINE ON THE DECKS TO MOST PEOPLE THEY WOULD HAVE LOOKED 'REAL'. IS THIS THE NEW DAWN OF 'BOOTLEGS OF BOOTLEGS'? ANYONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS PISS-TAKE?

GRANT

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

LOOKIN THRU A RECORD 'COLLECTION' THE OTHER DAY I WAS AMAZED TO SEE SOME 45'S IN THERE THAT HAD DOWNLOADED OR SCANNED ORIGINAL LABELS STUCK OVER THE BOOT OR RE-ISSUE LABEL. CLOSE UP YOU COULD TELL IT WAS A SNIDE, BUT I WOULD IMAGINE ON THE DECKS TO MOST PEOPLE THEY WOULD HAVE LOOKED 'REAL'. IS THIS THE NEW DAWN OF 'BOOTLEGS OF BOOTLEGS'? ANYONE ELSE COME ACROSS THIS PISS-TAKE?

GRANT

I know someone years ago who when he sold his collection, he had some of the rare stuff cut and he was into graphic art and all that. Anyway he had some lazer scans done, when lazer scans where first beinig used, and you could hardly tell the difference till you got up close. Not a new thing at all Grant. Certainly a good scam though for the unsuspecting or uneducated :-(

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yes i've heard of it being done before but with DIY Acetates in fact i seem to remember a certain well known ex mecca dj having a few........

John

Social source share

The ones the mate of mine did looked superb, virtually identical copies :-/

The main difference was the quality of the paper. He even had some done on vinyl. Once on the decks going round you would never have known the difference. Even on a photo on ebay I bet you couldn't tell the difference, like a said a very good scam, especially if you use a PO Box for mailing too. In fact know someone whos done that too :-0

Social source share

Even on a photo on ebay I bet you couldn't tell the difference, like a said a very good scam, especially if you use a PO Box for mailing too.  In fact know someone whos done that too :-0

Remeber the Lenny Curtis on ebay a couple of months ago, that the seller knew wasn't an original, but still got daft money for it? Be very careful of any record that was both originaly, & booted, on styrene (both pressed at the Monarch plant)

Social source share

Remeber the Lenny Curtis on ebay a couple of months ago, that the seller knew wasn't an original, but still got daft money for it? Be very careful of any record that was both originaly, & booted, on styrene (both pressed at the Monarch plant)

Very good boot that one Hippo. Wsn't the Mel Britt another boot pressed at Monarch plant?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I am probably going to upset a few people now, but I often wonder why someone would go on a soul chat room, and ask for downloads of a record and a scan of the label.

OK there may be a perfectly innocent reason, but I find it a very dubious practice.

Social source share

The reason to ask for a download is naturally that one desires to hear the tune in question, what else?! And the reason to ask for a scan is that one wants to see what the label looks like, and sometimes there might be interesting information to be had from looking at a label such as writing and production credits and so on. I doubt a lot of people request scans and downloads for evil purposes. I can understand some being cautious with scans of exclusive and popular top rarities however, such as Mello Soul and similar items.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I BOUGHT A LOAD THIS YEAR OFF A FAMOUS DJ WHO HAS NOW JACKED-IN(STRANGE WORLD). SOME OF THE TITTLES WERE,

BILLY WOODS-MORRIS CHESTNUT-SHAWN ROBINSON ISSUE-TIMMIE WILLIAMS-LOU RAGLAND-JIMMY MACK-DEAN COURTNEY R.C.A. ISSUE-YVONNE BAKER ISSUE-VICKIE BAINES ISSUE-THE IVORIES WAND-JIMMY THOMAS US COLUMBIA. I MUST SAY THEY DID LOOK GOOD. THE BIG MISTAKE WAS VICKIE BAINES HE HAD IT ON CAMEO-PARKWAY-AS WE ALL NOW IT'S PARKWAY.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Obviously I am a cynic, stuck in the luddite past, but isnt the fact that we wanted to hear certain records, the reason we traveled to certain veues where certain djs where operating??

I'm not going to get involved in any arguements over this, because I'm not going to change my mind so there is no point. Its just if I cannot afford to buy the record, I will go and hear it out.

Social source share

Obviously I am a cynic, stuck in the luddite past, but isnt the fact that we wanted to hear certain records, the reason we traveled to certain veues where certain djs where operating??

I'm not going to get involved in any arguements over this, because I'm not going to change my mind so there is no point.  Its just if I cannot afford to buy the record, I will go and hear it out.

Not cynic, but very unrealistic. Most DJ's play the same 50 tunes (50 if you're lucky!) over and over again, week after week, year after year! Most venues play pretty much the same things with very few exceptions it seems. In many cases there is no DJ at ANY venue in the world (that I know of anyway) that play many of the things that might be of interest. If your interest also strecthes beyond the most obvious dance floor sounds there is often no place to go to hear many of them, apart from someones house perhaps. Living in another country does not help when it comes to the travelling to venues bit either. Even if it was possible to travel to hear cetain sounds I think it is often necessary to hear things properly, at home, to fully appreciate them, or in some cases to make you realise they were actually not as good as they sounded when you heard them out. I personally travel as much as I can to hear good sounds. I also support and agree with the "travel to hear" idea, but it is often not enough, that is all.

Social source share

Does anyone know when the first ever bootleg appeared? It must have been profitable for all concerned as it grew quickly as a business opportunity and even got the big record companies bringing out re-issues of tracks that were dead and buried, with little of the royalty reaching the original singers and writers etc.

Whenever money is to be made, the entrepreneur is not far away.

How many artists got a pay off from the hundreds of CDs doing the rounds? Legitimate ripping off I think.

Ed

Social source share

Does anyone know when the first ever bootleg appeared?

How many artists got a pay off from the hundreds of CDs doing the rounds?

Ed

The first Northern boot was the Poets 'She Blew A Good Thing' on Old Soul (the name of Northern before Dave Godin coined the phrase). Jeff King did it and I bought some copies on Leicester market and sold them down the Lantern all nighter in Market Harborough, no-one knew what they were, myself included (but we worked it out!)

Many artists do get money from the legitimate re-releases of CDs. The Diplomats, Little Ann, Millie Jackson, Joe Simon, Ernie Johnson, Ruth Davis, Miles Grayson, Jimmy Robins, Linda Lyndell, Sterling Magee, Garland Green, Mary Love are just some of the names that spring to mind. There's a cynical line put out by bootleggers that the artists don't get any money; that's just a weak attempt to make their stealing seem not so bad. Songwriters do even better than artists because they get their money from semi-legitimate companies (ones who pretend they've tried to find the label owner but couldn't, which is still illegal) too; though they generally lie about their true sales figures.

Ady

Social source share

I'm not going to get involved in any arguements over this, because I'm not going to change my mind so there is no point.  Its just if I cannot afford to buy the record, I will go and hear it out.

My sentiments exactly and still the main reason why I travel. You can't get the rarities the likes of Butch has on tape or cd so you have to go out to hear him play them.

At one time you could here a record and have a good idea who was spinning it too, nowadays all the wannabe djs are playing the same stuff ;-/

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I BOUGHT A LOAD THIS YEAR OFF A FAMOUS DJ WHO HAS NOW JACKED-IN(STRANGE WORLD). SOME OF THE TITTLES WERE,

BILLY WOODS-MORRIS CHESTNUT-SHAWN ROBINSON ISSUE-TIMMIE WILLIAMS-LOU RAGLAND-JIMMY MACK-DEAN COURTNEY R.C.A. ISSUE-YVONNE BAKER ISSUE-VICKIE BAINES ISSUE-THE IVORIES WAND-JIMMY THOMAS US COLUMBIA. I MUST SAY THEY DID LOOK GOOD. THE BIG MISTAKE WAS VICKIE BAINES HE HAD IT ON CAMEO-PARKWAY-AS WE ALL NOW IT'S PARKWAY.

I think i may have alluded to this very chap earlier Mick ;o)))))

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!