Soultrip Usa Orlando 2011

I just returned from SoulTrip 2011 last night. What a great event!

Top hotel, top hosts, great location, great weather, great record fair!

I've got loads of pictures from the live show last Saturday, so I will sort through them and post some of the better ones.

A few highlights: Frankie Gearing sitting at my table one night, meeting Spyder Turner, meeting Jock Mitchell, playing my first-ever DJ set, etc.

It was a great experience!

Thanks to Kev and Sam for putting together a great event!

Cheers,

Tim

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just returned from SoulTrip 2011 last night. What a great event!

Top hotel, top hosts, great location, great weather, great record fair!

I've got loads of pictures from the live show last Saturday, so I will sort through them and post some of the better ones.

A few highlights: Frankie Gearing sitting at my table one night, meeting Spyder Turner, meeting Jock Mitchell, playing my first-ever DJ set, etc.

It was a great experience!

Thanks to Kev and Sam for putting together a great event!

Cheers,

Tim

Hi tim great set and thanks for the record will post a full response after the skeggi weekender great to meet you atb yocky

I just returned from SoulTrip 2011 last night. What a great event! Top hotel, top hosts, great location, great weather, great record fair! I've got loads of pictures from the live show last Saturday, so I will sort through them and post some of the better ones.

A few highlights: Frankie Gearing sitting at my table one night, meeting Spyder Turner, meeting Jock Mitchell, playing my first-ever DJ set, etc. It was a great experience! Thanks to Kev and Sam for putting together a great event!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim, I thought you were going to say "meeting the legendary Chris Lalor after all this time" :ohmy:

Edited by Chris L

The Northern Soul scene, almost certainly the mostexclusive, wonderful, positive experience the human being can get. As youngsters we fawned over record labelsseeing names we'd never heard of wondering what kind of people made thesesongs, made these songs that made us go wild, start dancing, collectingrecords, going to venues miles and miles away from your home town, yes thisreally is a special sub-cult, hail hail Northern Soul.

I'm just back from 3 days on Florida at the very last SoulTrip USA, I'm only now able to write about it, the effect these trips have onme, it takes a few days to "come down".

I knew the numbers would be lower than the previous 3 SoulTrips what with the current economic situation and let's face it we're notgetting any younger and the effort required seems to be more and more verytime.

Initially I hadn't planned to go, for all the above reasons,however 2 weeks before the trip I had a change of heart and went ahead andbooked it. Oh Boy!! Was I glad I did, it was a magnificent few days.

Arriving Saturday evening at the Radisson Orlando, I justhad time to chuck my suitcase in my room, change into obligatory the Sta-prest,loafers, Fred Perry shirt and nip downstairs. Asalways the greeting from fellow NS fans is overwhelming, humbling even. A wholeof hugging and kissing and that's just the blokes !!

The DJS were hard at work playing all that good 60 & 70sstuff, everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, even got to meet Jock Mitchell whostopped by to say hello, now what's the chance of that? "One in a millionmaybe" .............................. Next door was an African-American wedding some of whichstopped by to ask from where all that good soul music came from !!

By about 12.30/01.00 US time I just had to get to bed, thebeer and jet lag were kicking in. Most of Sunday was taken up eating, sleepingand working out in the gym. Come Sunday evening the stage was literally set foran exceptional night of records and live artists. They included Jock Mitchell,Spyder Turner, Eugene Thomas from the Epitome of Sound, Tony Galla and FrankieGearing from the Steinways and Glories.

Good to see Richard Searling back behind the decks, hadn'tseen him since Los Angeles in 2004.

The finale consisting of all the artists doing some WilsonPicket stuff, plucking unsuspecting soulies out of the crowd to participate, justmagic. Non of us wanted it end, but as with good things end it did.

My last day, the Monday was back to DJs playing some goodstuff with ace US record collector/dealer Tim Schloe behind the decks, goodgoing stranger. I spent most of the evening yakking with fellow soulies, mostlyold Torchites and the like.

Difficult coming to terms that this is the very last one butthere you have it. Thanks to everyone connected to these events especially Kevand Sam Roberts. thumbsup.gif

Chris Lalor

Just about recovered from 10 days on the soultrip to Orlando; had a great time catching up with old friends, making new ones and meeting some wonderful soul artists. Good to hear Richard Searling playing a couple of spots over here - and good to catch up with Richard & Judith.

Always a pleasure to see Chris & Ali - great company, as usual. New friends from Wolverhampton - Judy & Jimmy and Lindsay & John (hope to see you in May), Chris from Denver and Gary & Frances from Cornwall. Yocky - a lovely guy; always great to talk to. Not forgetting the guys from Australia - Elizabeth & Steve ( a real pleasure to see again - last met in New York) and Johnny Redpants. And anyone else we may have missed. We had a brilliant time made even better by the artists that we met and saw performing. The show on Sunday evening was fantastic - 3 hours of great music with two bands. Great perfomances from all artists - Spyder Turner, Tony Galla, Frankie Gearing, Jock Mitchell, Jackie Gore, Sal from Detroit Sound and finally Eugene Thomas who's live performance of The Epitome of Sound's "You Don't Want Me" was unforgetable - another fantastic memory .

The trip to Miami was most enjoyable - never knew Miami had such great art deco buildings and good to meet Timmy Thomas and Willie Clarke. We have been on all four US soultrips and this one was just as great as the others - even the thunderstorms mid-holiday were spectacular. Many, many thanks to Kev & Sam for providing such wonderful memories.

Mick & Bet Perrins

• 1 month later...
Guest OKeh45RPM

Mick,

It was great catching up with you and Bet again in Orlando, we are finally back in Australia, hope to see you again soon in the UK.

The highlight of the trip for me was seeing Eugene Thomas singing "You don't love me" live, many good memories, let's hope there is another one.

Let's keep in touch.

Regards

Steve and Elizabeth