Robs Records......hurts Yard...off Parliament Street....nottingham

Rob has asked me if i would post up that he is open for business at last.......

Robs Records

Hurts Yard

Off Parliament Street,

Nottingham,

After a total refit That famous wee record Bar is open for business..............Stock is being moved back at a pace, i would think a visit would be worth while may be some bargains to be had, and what is the appearance like now.................

Robs number at his request..................07906137860.....

Regards Mal...................07778797800............:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Robs Records

Hurts Yard

Off Parliament Street,

Nottingham,

After a total refit That famous wee record Bar is open for business..............Stock is being moved back at a pace, i would think a visit would be worth while may be some bargains to be had, and what is the appearance like now.................

Regards Mal...................07778797800............:hatsoff2:

Total re-fit hope hes racked it after 30 years lol !!! will have a ride down xthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif great Man Great Shopyes.gif

Social source share

Total re-fit hope hes racked it after 30 years lol !!! will have a ride down xthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif great Man Great Shopyes.gif

Hi Rob

I think its racked an early visitor found it so good to flip through and purchased some great albums..................:hatsoff2: a bargain

Mal

Social source share

Rob's even got a counter to stand behind!!!:ohmy:

Nothing new I am afraid .

He had one when he first opened , and as the years went on and the stock grew ...... and grew ....... and grew , he removed it to make more room .

I was in there just before the move out for the refurbishment , and it was so crowded with stock , the mice were hunchbacked :yes:

RRM deserves to be listed as a national heritage site .

Malc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

what and a proper till :ohmy:

that would be something worth seeing.

i'll have to pop in next time i'm in town.

"GGGGranville!!!!".Can just see it now snapping at his fingers...:yes: .

Wish i knew how to post up some photo's.. before the re-fit..

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest southpaw

"GGGGranville!!!!".Can just see it now snapping at his fingers...

Wish i knew how to post up some photo's.. before the re-fit..

:ohmy::yes:

Social source share

:yes::lol:

Reproduced below , is an interview with Rob that was printed in a Nottingham newspaper a while ago .

Starting with a copy of Let's Twist Again by Chubby Checker in 1967, Rob Smith has been buying and selling records in Nottingham for four decades. His chaotic institution Rob's Record Mart is still going strong on Hurt's Yard, remaining pleasingly resilient to today's internet-driven music era. Rob also manages a parallel career as a well-known DJ on the Northern Soul scene, putting even the hardiest of ravers to shame with a hectic travel schedule that takes in all-nighter venues nationwide. After welcoming me with his habitually good-humoured "Oh, my dear sir!" greeting, Rob closed up for the day and kindly agreed to reveal some local vinyl-retail history to us...

What initially drove you to buy vinyl and soul music in particular?

I started collecting chart singles from the early sixties, going to second hand record shops and junk shops around Nottingham. I had a paper round at the time. My first craze was rock'n'roll. I started to hang out at Beeston Youth Centre, where I'm DJing this Friday by a strange coincidence! Although these rockers were congregating down there, the music playing was '60s club soul. Around the same time, I started working in the Co-Op across the road (Upper Parliament Street) on the record bar in the basement. It's closed now and about to be knocked down, but my first job was running the record bar in the late sixties and early seventies. The soul thing was quite trendy, so I had a lot of it in the Co-Op, that combined with the Beeston Youth Centre and one or two other local clubs, got me into the soul thing.

From the Co-Op, you then went to Selectadisc?

Yes. I was at the Co-Op until 1975. Then they offered me a job at Selectadisc. I'd been offered work there three or four years before, but didn't take it then. Who knows what might have happened if I had done? It might be a whole different outlook. But I took a job in the singles department, when it was on Bridlesmith Gate.

You were later made redundant during lean times and decided to take a break from records. How did you get back into the industry?

A friend of mine (Northern Soul DJ and entrepreneur Kev Roberts) opened an office on Regent Street, supplying, wholesaling and retailing Northern Soul imports. He approached me in December 1977 and asked if I'd run the place for him. A year after that, he and a guy called Les McCutcheon pooled resources and decided to open a shop. It was the shop we're in now. Kev pulled his staff in, myself and Jonathan Woodliff (later of Arcade Records and a renowned local DJ and collector in his own right), a secretary and two or three staff Les already had down south. One Saturday afternoon in July 1979, we all sat around a great big long table in this room, having egg and chips from the legendary Granary Caf on the corner and had a meeting. The idea was that the upstairs would be a large wholesale department and office and downstairs would be the retail shop. It opened in September 1979. It was a great theory, but unfortunately at that time the Northern Soul wholesale thing had dropped off somewhat. Downstairs was a bit sparse. They were selling jazz-funk and Northern Soul and it was nicely laid-out, but there wasn't much stock.

You then worked for Arcade Records' short-lived second hand department, before returning to Hurt's Yard.

Kev and Les asked me if I wanted to come in and sell records on a commission basis and it was fairly successful. The main brainchild was to start selling pop oldies.

They later offered you the lease. What year was that?

1980. I was lucky, because I got a chance to test the water for a bit, which is quite unique. They had these video game machines in at the time, which pulled in a fair bit of money and paid towards the rent. Now we're in our 26th year.

What was the stock like in the beginning?

It was very modest in those days. I had about four crates of Northern Soul and probably five or six crates of pop oldies. Then we got a few albums in and that grew. Eventually we filled the place up with LPs!

A lot of people think records are harder to come by nowadays. Do you see the seventies or eighties as golden eras for finding stuff?

I don't think things have changed too much. Prices have gone up somewhat, but they've probably stayed on the same level when you take inflation into account. Obviously some records were flavour of the month in the eighties and don't go for much now and vice-versa.

Has the shop always been chaotic like it is now? Or maybe it isn't really chaos? Is there a system only you know about?

Well. It's difficult...we've over-stocked, really. But if someone brings stuff in, you've got to buy it. They don't usually want to split them up.

Are you one of those people who finds it impossible to throw anything away?

I am. It's a bit of a mistake really, it can get you into trouble.

Would you say that you still love the job?

Oh yes. It's a business, but I love it.

Do you own a computer?

No.

So do you feel you're missing out with eBay and so on?

I'm not computer-minded and as long as I still keep taking some money, I don't mind. The internet can't do us any favours in the long run. But people still like to come to shops and look around, which is the good side. Some days there's nobody about and you think "how long can we go on like this," but usually a day or two later it's rocking again!

Top man - and a national treasure - is our Mr Smith :ohmy:

Malc

Social source share

He told me last year the Health and safety people were after him thumbsup.giflaugh.gif

so it was either tidy the shop or issue everyone with safety boots and helmets shades.gif

I can remember the counter and the TWO BOXES of "Good stuff" that were underneath --then of course there was an "Up stairs " then as well !

Happy days

rob

Social source share

He told me last year the Health and safety people were after him thumbsup.giflaugh.gif

so it was either tidy the shop or issue everyone with safety boots and helmets shades.gif

I can remember the counter and the TWO BOXES of "Good stuff" that were underneath --then of course there was an "Up stairs " then as well !

Happy days

rob

First time i personally was let up there i felt like royalty :rolleyes: . I was chuffed to bits :)

Social source share

Malc will remember a day he and I spent upstairs at Robs around 25 years ago. Can you remember Earl Van Dyke 'The Flick' Malc? Thought we'd stumbled on a rarity! :0)

Early 80's I sold Rob 3 carloads of 45's - a large part of my collection at the time. Boxes and boxes of Okeh, RCA, Atlantic, Stateside, London, Action.... I remember him saying 'this is a 'real' collection" and it certainly was.

Wish I could buy em all back now, at the price he gave me for them! LOL

Sean

Social source share

Would you say that you still love the job?

Oh yes. It's a business, but I love it.

Do you own a computer?

No.

So do you feel you're missing out with eBay and so on?

I'm not computer-minded and as long as I still keep taking some money, I don't mind. The internet can't do us any favours in the long run. But people still like to come to shops and look around, which is the good side. Some days there's nobody about and you think "how long can we go on like this," but usually a day or two later it's rocking again!

Great quotes from a top bloke. Has a great knowledge and I think still underestimated by some.

Somehow I can't even begin to imagine Rob on a computer :rolleyes:

Social source share

Malc will remember a day he and I spent upstairs at Robs around 25 years ago. Can you remember Earl Van Dyke 'The Flick' Malc? Thought we'd stumbled on a rarity! :0)

Early 80's I sold Rob 3 carloads of 45's - a large part of my collection at the time. Boxes and boxes of Okeh, RCA, Atlantic, Stateside, London, Action.... I remember him saying 'this is a 'real' collection" and it certainly was.

Sean

Eeeh , when we were a lad ....... at least you were Sean laugh.gif

That day when we unearthed " The Flick " , was one of many I recall we spent searching around / through the stock upstairs at Rob's which brought us many a known or semi known find , but more to the point , quite a few unknown records that went on to bigger things .

You will recall Sean , before we were allowed upstairs , Rob always said " if you find anything , I want to know " ........ this we always did of course :rolleyes:

In the early days , Rob's Dad worked behind the counter , and if you were a regular punter , he would make you a cup of tea on arrival ....... and know how many sugars you took in it :( .

It was reported that the kettle was found hidden behind a pile of albums when the relocation was being done :D

Despite the shop beng " fettled " , and knowing full well his organizational " skills " , it will be soon be back to being a cross between The Old Curiosity Shop , Aunty Wainwright's on " Last Of The Summer Wine " , and a bomb site .......... but that is what makes it so special .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

is robs shop responsible for putting the first known copy of any big 45s into the hands of DJS and collectors. Or is the lsit too long to start writing.

I seem to remember being told a story that the first copy of one of the shrines came from rob ? around stafford era time..............

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sean

What car was it?

Social source share

Eeeh , when we were a lad ....... at least you were Sean laugh.gif

That day when we unearthed " The Flick " , was one of many I recall we spent searching around / through the stock upstairs at Rob's which brought us many a known or semi known find , but more to the point , quite a few unknown records that went on to bigger things .

You will recall Sean , before we were allowed upstairs , Rob always said " if you find anything , I want to know " ........ this we always did of course :rolleyes:

In the early days , Rob's Dad worked behind the counter , and if you were a regular punter , he would make you a cup of tea on arrival ....... and know how many sugars you took in it :( .

It was reported that the kettle was found hidden behind a pile of albums when the relocation was being done :yes:

Despite the shop beng " fettled " , and knowing full well his organizational " skills " , it will be soon be back to being a cross between The Old Curiosity Shop , Aunty Wainwright's on " Last Of The Summer Wine " , and a bomb site .......... but that is what makes it so special .

Malc

When the kettle was found it was still on top of the calor gas heater - which was still on!!!:D .

Took your life in your hands when upstairs.Had a couple of things from upstairs,which shall remain nameless.I'm sure Rob's had his money's worth back out of me since....

Even the floor was dished.NAP of course.!!!:D Can't wait to get down there.

Social source share

is robs shop responsible for putting the first known copy of any big 45s into the hands of DJS and collectors. Or is the lsit too long to start writing.

I seem to remember being told a story that the first copy of one of the shrines came from rob ? around stafford era time..............

Great question! Anyone got any finds they'd like to share with us?

I love Rob. One of the scenes true characters. Wish I lived nearer as I would definitely pay him a visit.

Social source share

Did Rob find the Blue Jays - Point Of View? he had a box load which he sold for next to nowt.

Social source share

Did Rob find the Blue Jays - Point Of View? he had a box load which he sold for next to nowt.
Don't know Chalky, but he definitely put some in Soul Packs - our youth picked one in a pack off Rob way back. We also picked one up off Manny in a Soul Pack back end of the 70s/early 80s also. So that doesn't probably answer your question who initially dug them up :hatsoff2:
The Bobby Moore on Kay-O we got from Robs shop is still in the same sleeve bought - with £1.25 written in the corner. Had some top Sat afternoons in Notts - flitting between the Flying Horse, the Dog and Bear, the bookies and Robs Shop.

Edited by Rich
Social source share

Malc

Called in the other day to wonder in amazement at the neat racks of LPs, Felt a little low, as if something sacred had been spoiled as Rob said "There's Soul LPs over there Dean, and Rock LPs on this side". I winced at the order before me but was soon uplifted by Rob "This is only a fraction of the stockto get back into the place though". I think we can soon expect the cuustomary leaning towers of vinyl and the disregard for health and safety . . . . . bring it on. By the way, there were some good priced soul LPs if anyone wants to grab anything before they get buried. Worth a look.

Social source share

Great quotes from a top bloke. Has a great knowledge and I think still underestimated by some.

Somehow I can't even begin to imagine Rob on a computer :lol:

I did that article - I'll see if I can find the full transcript, though fittingly enough it may be on an old computer that died.

Social source share

Quite a few things came out of Robs over the years. The original Rodd Keith that Guy played came out of there and he always had some gems under the counter..Strangley my mate found the label for Gaylettes "Heartaches" but never found the record :D

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Was that the rodd Kieth acetate of" And the lord said"? I seem to recall this ended up with a certain man of the cloth and then ending up seemingly fragmantised and floating 'round the Universe who ended up with it in the end ? did it end up with a certain soul bandit ?S.

Social source share

Was that the rodd Kieth acetate of" And the lord said"? I seem to recall this ended up with a certain man of the cloth and then ending up seemingly fragmantised and floating 'round the Universe who ended up with it in the end ? did it end up with a certain soul bandit ?S.

It was the vinyl copy found in a box of allsorts by Dave Taylor From Nottingham. Rob covered it up and then later sold it to guy who i believe changed the cover up name..

Social source share

This is a disaster!! - I have been making a fortune offering guided tours of Nottinghams alleyways and taking punters into Robs Records, leaving them in there and running off with their money. I never saw them again!

This shop should have been allowed to stay the same - a part of my past has gone!

Social source share

Robs Records

Hurts Yard

Off Parliament Street,

Nottingham,

Regards Mal...................07778797800............:thumbsup:

NIPPED INTO TOWN TODAY ........20TH APRIL AND THOUGHT I HAD BETTER POP INTO ROBS HE ASKED IF I WOULD PUT A FEW LINES ON THE THREAD.......

ROBS FULLY REFURBISHED RECORD BAR................

AND SO IT IS PROPER RECORD AND CD PIGEON HOLES................CLEAR WINDOWS VIEWS OF HURTS YARD SO BRIGHT INSIDE.................AND A NICE SHOP COUNTER WITH ROB STOOD BEHIND SMILING AND GREETING ALL..................

ROB HAS SAID HE HAS FRESH STOCK ARRIVING ALL THE TIME SO WORTH A VISIT AS ALL WHAT WAS CLEARED OUT FOR THE RE-FIT IS SLOWLY RETURNING.......

PLUS I RECKON HE WILL BE PLEASED TO SEE ALL HIS CUSTOMERS AND FRIENDS.............

REGARDS MALL..................ON BEHALF OF ROB SMITH.........hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I slipped into Robs this morning on the way to the train station...I don't think I have the

powers of description to do it justice,but anyone who feared it might remain clinically ordered

and sterile will be relieved when they visit. Picked up a few fairly priced priced records from the man himself -

A real gent...!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!