Us Or Uk Demos

shute

OK ! ... If you had a chance either to buy a US 45 or the UK DEMO what would you do.......

Personaly, I'd go for the UK DEMO, just love 'em, nice big 'A's and the look is just, well it takes my breathe away...................

IT'S OVER TO YOU :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

As I'm a fan of american soul music :thumbsup: it has to be a US demo :thumbsup:

Never really bought UK stuff, just the odd record here and there....

:thumbsup: Somehow I thought you'd reply to this Chalky and I knew what you were going to say......creepy that don't you think :unsure:

Social source share

OK ! ... If you had a chance either to buy a US 45 or the UK DEMO what would you do.......

Personaly, I'd go for the UK DEMO, just love 'em, nice big 'A's and the look is just, well it takes my breathe away...................

IT'S OVER TO YOU :thumbsup:

UK everytime :thumbsup: , if looking through a box and a UK demo comes up my heart skips a beat :thumbsup: , possibly due to the fact that I grew up on UK issue's, US records were never seen in my neck of the woods back in dem old 60ts days :unsure:

Social source share

For me its getting the record first, Then weather its a demo or not, Dont own many UK Demos and the ones I do have are manely of Reissues and are not of the nice ^60s green or white type that are very nice to look at, Ive got a PYE Int Demo, Bo Diddley, Road Runner, which I got for the record not because it was a Demo Theres a lot to be said for collecting UK stuff, Its all on vinyl for starts. and they do look nice, will have to get me some of those green and white ones :thumbsup:

Social source share

A mate of mine went to a guy's house who used to work for The Mecca. He had thousands of unplayed UK Demos that record companies sent him (in original sleeves). Unfortunately, he only worked for them in the early seventies, so it was Mojo demos, Spark demos and the likes. All mint though. He bought one or two then left. They have to be sixties demos for me and it wouldn't worry UK or US

Social source share

Gotta be U.K. demos / promos etc :(

I've got a U.S. promo of Ray Pollard 'The Drifter' but would much prefer it on U.K demo....or even issue come to think of it. :(

Just imagine finding 2 boxes of beauties...one full of U.K. demos and the other full of equivalent title U.S. promos (Ray Pollards, Big Dee Irwin, Sammy Ambroses etc etc etc) - you can only take one box...which would you chose????

Bet even Chalky would have a change of heart at this scenario..... :(

Some U.K. demos don't float me boat though.

Would prefer a red and yellow Pye International issue over the white and black demo any day....

Social source share

IT'S OVER TO YOU :(

UK everytime. :( Except most of the stuff I want is US only. Where there are both the UK demo is ussually the rarest format though not neccessarily the dearest as there isn't a demand for them outside the UK so less people chasing them.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Ideally, whatever's the original, whether it's rarer or not (generally US then)... afraid I don't get the mystical attraction of the big 'A' :(:(

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

USA everytime, unless it's RCA, then it has to be issues of course... :(

Social source share

Whatever happens to turn up for sale first....

Social source share

Whatever happens to turn up for sale first....

The cheapest original option, I have loads of US Demos but only because that was what was in front of me when I bought it. Can't understand people who would pay 2,3,4 or whatever times the amount to get a demo rather than an issue, does it sound any better or something ? I would rather have the extra money to buy more records. Smacks to me of people boasting about how much money they've spent on a record. Pretty childish IMO

Dave G

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

US for me .... irrespective of which is rarer and which is more expensive ..

i only own one uk demo i think Ray Charles "the train" on HMV

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Kenny, that's the correct answer :( .........it's like cheesecake or profiteroles............PUT BOTH ON YOUR PLATE - therefore, eliminating the dilema of 'have I made the right choice'...........same rule of thumb goes for vinyl. But...............the Red A does get me right THERE blush.gif plus a pristine stock bag :yes: ah, what more could a girl want????? Ruby Andrews on Stateside demo - but at 1978 prices - £1.50 - that will do nicely wink.gif It's lovely on Diamond but.............I'm off to oil my anorak zip and win the Lottery :( Jo

buy both
:(

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The big Red A must have some kind of hypnotic effect on people because I've seen so many people go into a dead faint when they get there hands on a UK demo yes.gif Perhaps you're impervious to the magical powers of the A because you've not watched one go round and round on a turntable for long enough...........casting it's evil UK spell over you.......just say 'No' ..... :( Jo

Ideally, whatever's the original, whether it's rarer or not (generally US then)... afraid I don't get the mystical attraction of the big 'A'
:(:(

Social source share

Guest andycambs

I think for me it's UK, as said before it's the big A that looks the business, but , to just throw this thread sideways a little if thats ok, am I in a minority when I say I prefer Issues, regardless of rarity ie the RCA stuff etc? To me there is something special about owning a 45 that was sold to a teenager who saved their allowance maybe to buy this record from a dark little music shop in 60's america rather than something just produced for a radio station then boxed and put to one side once surplus, I don't know, maybe it's just me eh.

Andy

Social source share

I think for me it's UK, as said before it's the big A that looks the business, but , to just throw this thread sideways a little if thats ok, am I in a minority when I say I prefer Issues, regardless of rarity ie the RCA stuff etc? To me there is something special about owning a 45 that was sold to a teenager who saved their allowance maybe to buy this record from a dark little music shop in 60's america rather than something just produced for a radio station then boxed and put to one side once surplus, I don't know, maybe it's just me eh.

Andy

No, when I get a 45 from the US thats maybe in not so good cond, and names writen on them I often wonder who they were/are and where they brought it, The storys some of these 45s could tell, Love, brakeups, partys, allsorts really. It would be a good subject for a book, maybe,

Social source share

Gotta be U.K. demos / promos etc :(

Just imagine finding 2 boxes of beauties...one full of U.K. demos and the other full of equivalent title U.S. promos (Ray Pollards, Big Dee Irwin, Sammy Ambroses etc etc etc) - you can only take one box...which would you chose????

Bet even Chalky would have a change of heart at this scenario..... :(

No he wouldn't :( UK issued records be them issues or demos have just never done it for me...had very few UK rsoul ecords. I much prefer the US artist or group on a US release yes.gif

Social source share

Not really fussed but the nature of the beast is that I'd probably finish up buying US stuff - never been able to understand the fuss of boring white demos - Bonnie Brisker on Magic City looks as good as it sounds in its full colour glory and give me pink Okeh's anyday :( However, it would take something to part me from me green and white Invitations / Ruby Winters - a song that still makes me go weak at the knees - but it would do on Diamond as well.

Reality, it doesn't really matter, don't they all sound the same?? :(

Social source share

Interesting topic, good to see peoples choices, for me it would be US demos ,issues over the UK equivalent, always liked the aspect of the original version (usually American, but as we know not always) same thing goes for the Demo over the issue...cause i could go all hog and chase the original Reel to Reel tapes, but then people would accuse me of being a anorak.....and we couldn't have that..could we. :D

Brett

Social source share

Guest rachel

The big Red A must have some kind of hypnotic effect on people because I've seen so many people go into a dead faint when they get there hands on a UK demo :D Perhaps you're impervious to the magical powers of the A because you've not watched one go round and round on a turntable for long enough...........casting it's evil UK spell over you.......just say 'No' ..... :D Jo

Nah I just got dizzy :D Rather see a nice centre in a big hole.... :D:D

Social source share

Guest becky c

IT'S OVER TO YOU :D

US issues for me I'm afraid

Social source share

Guest rachel

You could always push the middles out of the U.K. promos to achieve the same effect. :D

Would then turn the 'A' into an upside down 'V' of course so that would also sort the 'A' problem out! :D

Watch it you or I won't offer to help with the paper round again :D:D

Social source share

IT'S OVER TO YOU :lol:

I'm with Chalky on this one. US Demo, then US issue, then probably CD before UK demo. They just don't do anuthing for me, and in reality in the majority of cases are second issues :lol: (Because the first one was American)

Strange from a collectors point of view though because they are better quality vinyl pressings, and in a lot of cases a damn sight rarer then their US counterparts.

Social source share

I'm with Chalky on this one. US Demo, then US issue, then probably CD before UK demo. They just don't do anuthing for me, and in reality in the majority of cases are second issues :lol: (Because the first one was American)

:lol: ....CDs.........!!!!!!!!

So you're at a carboot, and see an original U.K. copy of Timi Yuro......turn your nose up and bugger off to HMV to buy the CD.

MY ARSE! :lol:

Think that stint of wedding DJing has had a deep effect on you Dave!

Don't see them as second issues, more as foreign issues (to the U.S. anyway)....and besides, your CDs of choice could be British pressed so how does that work... :lol::lol:

I also like to buy Canadian / Australian copies if they come up, and would rather have a Canadian to a U.S.

Probably cus its slightly different - Chris Penn has a Canadian Linda Griner on yellow globes...lovely.

So Dave...where do you stand on Canadian CDs.......! :lol::lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

:lol: ....CDs.........!!!!!!!!

So you're at a carboot, and see an original U.K. copy of Timi Yuro......turn your nose up and bugger off to HMV to buy the CD.

No, I'd buy the Timi Yuro, sell it to some mug...sorry collector for £1000 on e-bay...buy a shit load of US demos with the money and then I'd download the Timi Yuro CD for nothing :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

No, I'd buy the Timi Yuro, sell it to some mug...sorry collector for £1000 on e-bay...buy a shit load of US demos with the money and then I'd download the Timi Yuro CD for nothing :lol::P:P

Yep :P:lol::P

:P ....CDs.........!!!!!!!!

Think that stint of wedding DJing has had a deep effect on you Dave!

Don't see them as second issues, more as foreign issues (to the U.S. anyway)....and besides, your CDs of choice could be British pressed so how does that work... :lol::lol:

I also like to buy Canadian / Australian copies if they come up, and would rather have a Canadian to a U.S.

Probably cus its slightly different - Chris Penn has a Canadian Linda Griner on yellow globes...lovely.

So Dave...where do you stand on Canadian CDs.......! :P:lol:

Couldn't be arsed where a CD is from. I just used it as an example of how low down the list UK Demos come in my opinion. :lol:

Social source share

Gotta be US every time.

I wasn't brought up with the new UK releases, so I've no affinity to them. To be brutally honest, I can count on one hand how many UK releases I have and they do nothing for me.

I'm just a sad git I suppose, but the press-out centres look clumsy and ill-designed. Plus people used to push them out to make them look like the proper thing anyway back in the 70's :thumbsup:

You telling me anything looks better than Major Lance 'YDWMNM' on an OKeh Demo? yeah whatever....

Jamie whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

You telling me anything looks better than Major Lance 'YDWMNM' on an OKeh Demo? yeah whatever....

Jamie whistling.gif

Well, tough call, but yes I'd still pick US demos....

There is still something magical about Okeh demos.. :thumbsup:

post-1832-1128642706_thumb.jpg

post-1832-1128642717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Gotta be US every time.

I wasn't brought up with the new UK releases, so I've no affinity to them. To be brutally honest, I can count on one hand how many UK releases I have and they do nothing for me.

I'm just a sad git I suppose, but the press-out centres look clumsy and ill-designed. Plus people used to push them out to make them look like the proper thing anyway back in the 70's :lol:

Jamie :lol:

You've got that 'My Friend James' and that does nothing for me either :lol:

Steve

Social source share

Guest HiTtHeBoNgO

There is still something magical about Okeh demos.. :lol:

any chance of a swap on the uk one then mate for an okeh one ?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Now you've done it...............A UK Columbia demo (salivate) next to the US Okeh one........big hole in the middle.........no comparison on the looks front - UK all the way - but how shallow would I be if I only went on looks :lol: Those who know me well will testify that good looks have nothing to do with my choices in life :lol::lol::lol: Jo

There is still something magical about Okeh demos..
:wub:

That's you all over, Dave :wub: Thanks to both of you for a great night out..........now if all demos were on yellow labels, eh? Jo

Which ever is the most expensive

Social source share

any chance of a swap on the uk one then mate for an okeh one ?

Now there's a great idea. :lol:

All those who posted on here in favour about prefering ORIGINAL 60s U.S. demos above ORIGINAL 60s U.K. ones - would you step forward with any U.K. goods that you possess and offer them up for a straight swap for the U.S. equivalent...or would price and rarity prevent you from sticking to your principles... :lol::wub:

Made sure the words ORIGINAL 60s is big and bold so we don't get innudated with offers of Grapevine labels et al............. :lol::lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest HiTtHeBoNgO

hello mate thanks for the sales list , was that one of those new miniature videos with the sounds on it ? im waiting till i see my daughter to advise me how to work it .. andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!