The Orwell Last Friday

I'd just like to say a belated thanks to everyone who supported us last Friday at The Orwell. As we'd given many of our Southern friends the night off, numbers were modest compared to the recent All Dayers but there was still enough in to warrant a great night!

The music, as ever, was top notch with guest Bob Hinsley playing an excellent set including - The Eliminators, Barbara Lewis (Thankful for what I got), L V Johnson (ICA), Alice Clark (Mainstream), Freda Payne (Invictus), Reggie Soul, Karmello Brooks mixed in with Modern monsters from Ujima, Unique Blend etc

Selections from the tunes played by the rest of the gang were-

Flanny - The Four Tracks (Mandingo), Eric Lomax (c/u), Chuck Cockerham, San Fransiscan TKO's, Timeless Legend, Joe Murphy (Vivid) etc

Barry Maleady - Earles Inc, Major Harris (Okeh), Charles Drain (RCA), G C Cameron (Motown), Ernie Johnson (Steph & Lee), Stan Martin etc

Steve Connor - Second Resurrection, Skip Jackson, Willie Tee (Please don't go), Annette Poindexter (Wayward Dream), Earl White Jr, Tony Borders (Quinvy), Len Jewell (Elevator Song) etc

Steve Plumb - Essex IV (c/u), Chuck Jackson (Take off your make up), Rose Brooks, Soul Bros Inc, Delegates of Soul, Donn Thomas (LP), Ronne McNeir (Tortoise Int), Judy Freeman etc

A tribute to the late great Willie Hutch was of course played by all DJ's, especially by Barry Maleady who managed to play about four in a row!

All in all, a great mix of 60's/70's Soul with the rare rubbing shoulders with the not so rare but all with one thing in common - Quality!

Next night at The Orwell is Friday October 28th for a 'Missing Yarmouth' special including Yarmouth legends Soul Sam & Bob Cosby.

Other dates for 2005 are

Friday 25th November (Guest DJ Soul Sam)

TUESDAY 27th December - Guest DJ's Andy Dyson & Soul Sam with an extended 8pm to 2.30am Xmas Special.

Looking forward to welcoming Andy Dyson for his first ever guest spot at The Orwell - should be a goodie!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

• Replies 4
  • Views 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thought Sam was part of the lineup?

BH

Next night at The Orwell is Friday October 28th for a 'Missing Yarmouth' special including Yarmouth legends Soul Sam & Bob Cosby.

Other dates for 2005 are

TUESDAY 27th December - Guest DJ's Andy Dyson & Soul Sam with an extended 8pm to 2.30am Xmas Special.

Sorry to confuse you Blake, he's sometimes known as 'Soul Sam'. I guess that's what's thrown you ;-))))

Other dates for 2005 are

Sorry to confuse you Blake, he's sometimes known as 'Soul Sam'. I guess that's what's thrown you ;-))))

OUCH!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol: