Cover Ups & New Discoveries... A Downward Slope ?

Maybe this has been covered before (sorry couldn't resist) but do you think the days of the cover up are all but over. With the event of the Internet , Its much easy to source information that before may have taken years to find out. A real shame in my opinion. Some very inventive names and playfulness going on with the whole C/U ethic and it encouraged more excavations and seemd an integral part of the scene.I'm sure many would argue that it was a negative approach to sharing music also. I'm guessing nowadays it can only exist at the top end of the Spectrum now ie with Acetates, unreleased tracks. In the same sense as digging for records has been all but replaced by Ebay etc. It's almost like an important part of the scene (again in my opinion) has been sidetracked. Those days will never come back, right or am I being negative? The scarcity of anything genuinely rare and good turning up must be diminishing all the time. Its hard to get a bargain through Ebay as even if the guy selling doesn't know the value , the nature of auctioning drives the price upto book value. It seems now if you have enough Money you can fast track to a decent collection in no time,seen that a lot and don;t like it (jealous!) whereas before you could physically put in the time & work and end up equal. I know there are pros & cons to both now & then but it seemed a much more level playing field I guess and more opportunities as a smaller fish in the pond to break something new. Am I kidding myself ? Be interested to hear your thoughts ! Cheers for looking

Social source share

Sadly nothing stays the same does it? I personally don't like the fact the internet is used for most record buying now (To easy) I'm not sayings it's wrong, I just don't like it. I have great memories of hunting through record shops (That are no longer there of course) Also getting the record lists off the dealers who actually used to go on those 'Voyages' to America and having to ring up dead on time or you may miss that record!

New discoveries are bound to get less and less as time moves on, I have fun by covering up records that just haven't had that much exposure, I don't think there's anything wrong in that. It is a bit of fun, but it also helps to keep ones own identity (D.J wise)

I think your on a bit of a nostalgia trip...Now I am too...Thinking of when the Soul Scene was made of Chocolate (Again)...I really must put my 'Rose Tinted Glasses' away :O)

All the best,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

Social source share

As a slight balancing factor, although not enough to maintain the days of cover-ups at previous levels, we do tend now as a scene to have a broader perspective of what we as individuals mean by the term 'Northern' and 'rare' soul. I think our tastes have broadened bringing in wider searches. I agree its obviously much much easier to simply google for info on artists, titles, labels, writers, producers but think that's part of the movement forward. I've bought a couple in the last year by taking a chance on ebay on records that I can't find anything about. I find that fascinating that in an age of fingertip global information there are still wonderful bits of 7" vinyl under the radar. I still get a buzz waiting for an unknown to come through, mostly it's a let down, but the anticipation is good, and just sometimes it can be a winner.

There are still bargains on ebay, rather than ebay auctions bringing prices up to book level I think ebay is bringing prices down. Good news if you're buying and are lucky, not if you're selling and unlucky on some items.

I do miss record shops, called into Rob's on Hurts yard Nottingham yesterday to see his revamped space (there's another thread on that), and had a little find at this one in Nottingham a couple of week ago, but I don't have the time to get out and hunt them down. As much as we knock ebay I know when I'm in record bars at nights/nighters I'm nervous to buy as i'll often see the desired item cheaper on ebay.

post-5677-0-39012600-1302084910_thumb.jp

Edited by Dean
Social source share

I expect some flack on this.

I was too young to go to Wigan/Mecca, so wasn't part of the cover-up chasing at the time. I've never liked the concept of the cover-up as I feel its more about raising the profile of the DJ than the record/artist. What's wrong with DJs getting credit and bookings for discovering/playing quality tunes and moving forward?

Whatever I think of coverups they will still go on in clubs, but should they have a place on radio shows?

I also don't like the cheque book DJ culture. For me its the way the set flows rather than how many expensive records you can fit into one set and it shows that the DJ has thought about their set rather that just a load of dick swinging.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

As a slight balancing factor, although not enough to maintain the days of cover-ups at previous levels, we do tend now as a scene to have a broader perspective of what we as individuals mean by the term 'Northern' and 'rare' soul. I think our tastes have broadened bringing in wider searches. I agree its obviously much much easier to simply google for info on artists, titles, labels, writers, producers but think that's part of the movement forward. I've bought a couple in the last year by taking a chance on ebay on records that I can't find anything about. I find that fascinating that in an age of fingertip global information there are still wonderful bits of 7" vinyl under the radar. I still get a buzz waiting for an unknown to come through, mostly it's a let down, but the anticipation is good, and just sometimes it can be a winner.

There are still bargains on ebay, rather than ebay auctions bringing prices up to book level I think ebay is bringing prices down. Good news if you're buying and are lucky, not if you're selling and unlucky on some items.

I do miss record shops, called into Rob's on Hurts yard Nottingham yesterday to see his revamped space (there's another thread on that), and had a little find at this one in Nottingham a couple of week ago, but I don't have the time to get out and hunt them down. As much as we knock ebay I know when I'm in record bars at nights/nighters I'm nervous to buy as i'll often see the desired item cheaper on ebay.

post-5677-0-39012600-1302084910_thumb.jp

Is that your red suitcase Dean? Your past finally caught up with you.?:lol: .

On topic - c/u's nowadays are a bit of fun (usually shortlived) for most.Only the real deal dj's have the c/u's of rareity."But why cover them if they are rare"? i hear you cry....all part of the game.Love it.

Social source share

I expect some flack on this.

I was too young to go to Wigan/Mecca, so wasn't part of the cover-up chasing at the time. I've never liked the concept of the cover-up as I feel its more about raising the profile of the DJ than the record. What's wrong with DJs getting credit and bookings for discovering/playing quality tunes and moving forward?

Whatever I think of coverups the will still go on in clubs, but should they have a place on radio shows?

I also don't like the cheque book culture DJ's. For me its the way the set flows rather than how expensive records you can fit into one set and shows that the DJ has thought about their set rather that just dick swinging.

Two of the ones I'm playing are CU that other folks have done and I've just continued it out of respect for the other DJ's. Always a tricky and contentious isssue.

Social source share

Cover Ups are fantastic & part & parcel of the scene, its all part of the fun innit...........loads of great new cover ups about, Dave Abbotts Al Green c/up is great & I have several right now, just need a larger audience to play em too.........my Explosive Dynamiks c/up went down the proverbial storm at the Soul in the South Nighter, with some activity behind the decks from others trying to get a looky........I think some DJ's need more bollox, they're sometimes frightened to get the cover up label on it in case its 'known' & they look stupid........it just adds a bit of mystery to it all & can create a talking point & raise the profile of the record as people debate its true identity & the search is on.........Long may they continue..........Russ

Social source share

Two of the ones I'm playing are CU that other folks have done and I've just continued it out of respect for the other DJ's. Always a tricky and contentious isssue.

Hmmm, but what about showing some respect for the artist whose name you have hid under a bit of paper?

Like you say, a tricky & contentious issue indeed.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

There seem to be more cover ups around than ever thesedays as people dig into the funk sections of dealers sites and start to play the flip sides of classic oldies (heard quite a few of those covered up recently) or start to replay things played a couple of times and forgotten years ago. I agree with Kev though, most coverups thesedays are pretty shortlived, it doesn't take too long to scour the internet and stumble across a sound file or word gets around of what it is.

It's like when J.T. Parker was covered up, then Craig Moerer put some for sale on his site with a sound file and that was it... uncovered.

Social source share

Hmmm, but what about showing some respect for the artist whose name you have hid under a bit of paper?

Like you say, a tricky & contentious issue indeed.

With the greatest of respect Ian, I dont beleive that theory holds water, in the vast majority of cases the artists are pretty unknown, once the disc is uncovered, which inevitably they all are, the artists receive more recognition than they ever have in recent years, particularly if the record hounds hunt them down & they then realise there are mad Brits who still listen to thier music...............most are blown away & they receive more recognition than if the interest hadnt been created by the DJ's covering the disc in the first place. You could argue that the same thing could have happened by playing the disc uncovered, but sometimes covering up creates more of a buzz on a disc & if the artists have been unknown for 30 odd years, what will a few more months/years make ????.

Best Russ

Social source share

With the greatest of respect Ian, I dont beleive that theory holds water, in the vast majority of cases the artists are pretty unknown, once the disc is uncovered, which inevitably they all are, the artists receive more recognition than they ever have in recent years, particularly if the record hounds hunt them down & they then realise there are mad Brits who still listen to thier music...............most are blown away & they receive more recognition than if the interest hadnt been created by the DJ's covering the disc in the first place. You could argue that the same thing could have happened by playing the disc uncovered, but sometimes covering up creates more of a buzz on a disc & if the artists have been unknown for 30 odd years, what will a few more months/years make ????.

Best Russ

Spot on Russ, you took the words.... Its also been know for CU's to add credibility to artist who would struggle to get attention with a northern audience, take the Blood sweat and tears example from about 15 years back.

Social source share

Best Russ

Laughing out loud here as you've covered me up Russ :yes:

Best,

Martin.

Social source share

It's like when J.T. Parker was covered up, then Craig Moerer put some for sale on his site with a sound file and that was it... uncovered.

Actually, CM never had a soundfile on his site for it...I know cus I emailed requesting a soundfile for a copy that was listed on his site for $150 as I guessed it might be the track but didn't want to blow $150 on the wrong record.

My p.c. went down for a few days, and during that time he listed it up on ebay as a buy it now so I missed the fcuker :yes:

He had also listed quite a few on ebay that went for around $150 whilst this tune was still covered and they were getting mopped up by certain dealers who knew the crack.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Actually, CM never had a soundfile on his site for it...I know cus I emailed requesting a soundfile for a copy that was listed on his site for $150 as I guessed it might be the track but didn't want to blow $150 on the wrong record.

My p.c. went down for a few days, and during that time he listed it up on ebay as a buy it now so I missed the fcuker :yes:

He had also listed quite a few on ebay that went for around $150 whilst this tune was still covered and they were getting mopped up by certain dealers who knew the crack.

That's right it was on ebay with the soundfile. Now i remember. :yes:

Social source share

I personally am not a fan of digging through boxes at niters/soul nights because as steve mentioned you will almost certainly return home to find it a lot cheaper on ebay + if i go to a niter i want to be dancing and having a good time chatting to friedns etc. Dont get me wrong threre are certian dealers/friends who are always on the money with prices but some try to take the piss and it's a bit shit really.

If you put the work in on ebay + other american dealer sites you can get bargains for sure, that is unless someone posts a link up on here lol!

C/U's are exciting and do create a buzz...Mace is a master at this and seems to find hard records and still covers them up, he's even got his own cover up label lol!

If i've got what i think is a genuinely rare record i wont cover it but if it's a cheap 20/30 quid record that most people haven't cottoned onto yet I'll try to cover it and see what the response is. It is a bit of a game but it does make it more enjoyable....it's the chase that's the best bit IMO!

Callum

Social source share

As someone who has a few cover up's I say let's be honest about this. Cover ups are for the whim of the DJ. I don't buy all this "heightened public interest" malarky as soon as a record hits the decks with a paper label stuck on it. Crapola. Maybe in the 70s's that was the case, not really now. So at a local level why do I do it? - Purely selfish reasons, to keep exclusives (which I may have paid quite a lot for) for longer, and others like Uncle Sam etc. off of the scent.

I also don't really buy this artist preservation stuff either - hardly any of the artists we're talking about have the records, and that's assuming that they are still both alive and friendly - two huge assumptions. Rare soul has always been about the cut and thrust of breaking new sounds and if a cover up gives a DJ more exclusivity on a sound, that's fine and part of it all. But at least be honest about the reasons for it - Russ I remember back when you first heard me play the Scott 3 out, you said you liked it, would it really have made any difference if it was covered up? A good record is a good record, sticky tape and paper or not.

Mind you it is quite fun telling someone you know what their cover up is, and watching their face :yes: All part of a competitive boys and toys thing I guess!

Social source share

As someone who has a few cover up's I say let's be honest about this. Cover ups are for the whim of the DJ. I don't buy all this "heightened public interest" malarky as soon as a record hits the decks with a paper label stuck on it. Crapola. Maybe in the 70s's that was the case, not really now. So at a local level why do I do it? - Purely selfish reasons, to keep exclusives (which I may have paid quite a lot for) for longer, and others like Uncle Sam etc. off of the scent.

C/UPs ..especially in these days of the internet where a new purchase is only one click away...are simply necessary to keep fresh tunes fresh indeed and not overplayed too soon because of the possibilty they are being included in (too) many other dj`s spots. Rescue from Overdose. IMO.

Currently have about four C/UP s in my box and some already filed back in the collection which have all not cost too much. No sense in C/UP 1 or two copy rarities though really ...agree with has been said on that before.

Plus...its soooo much fun LOL!...on both sides. As much as I enjoy doing a C/UP I love to try to find out the real identiy of other peoples C/UPs. And I also agree on what Matt said on this subject...never been more easy then today with the internet on your side :yes:

Social source share

Yes but if it is a one or two copy rarity and you don't cover it up other copies can be sourced quickly as has proved over the years. Cover it up and you are more or less guaranteed exclusivity until someone stumbles on another copy.

Absolutely right Chalky. But then again as long as you have it as a C/UP you can not really know how rare the record really is, can you ? Ebay and what tunrs up on there is not always a 100% correct indicator on a records rarity and we have witnessed it happening oh so often that once the cat is out copies appear everywhere...a case of people (collectors and dealers) having copies filed away not knowng the record in question is "hot" simply because its been played disguised as a C/UP ? But in general I agree on what you say.

Social source share

I also don't really buy this artist preservation stuff either - hardly any of the artists we're talking about have the records, and that's assuming that they are still both alive and friendly - two huge assumptions. Rare soul has always been about the cut and thrust of breaking new sounds and if a cover up gives a DJ more exclusivity on a sound, that's fine and part of it all. But at least be honest about the reasons for it - Russ I remember back when you first heard me play the Scott 3 out, you said you liked it, would it really have made any difference if it was covered up? A good record is a good record, sticky tape and paper or not.

Mind you it is quite fun telling someone you know what their cover up is, and watching their face :yes: All part of a competitive boys and toys thing I guess!

No it wouldnt Steve, a good record is a good record, I dont think covering it up makes it any better, but I do think that it adds a dimension of mystery that can create more interest ..............I agree with what you say about exclusivity to DJ's, but hasnt that always been one reason why DJ's do this anyway ?.........

Cover ups are great & keep the scene fresh & exciting. Long live the cover up !.

Best Russ

Social source share

Russ,

We are not disagreeing on cover ups, I was just saying that DJs do it for their own purposes and let's not pretend otherwise. Personally I do not feel any guilt about doing it. But in fact cover ups sometimes has the opposite effect. I can think of examples where someone rushes up and asks what something is - it's a real title - they go away thinking they'll look for that / onto the wants list / google /ebay / chat to mates do they know it? etc. Tell em it's a cover up and they walk away dissapointed and dis-interested. I have seen that happen as well. Anyway long live the cover up!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I've never found a covered up record before it became uncovered in my 15 years of collecting.

has anybody else here found a covered up record without actually havign the head start of being told what it is by the person who has it covered up ?

off course the answer will be yes but I think in most cases the first few copies bought will be by people who know the name and have not found it out them selves.

Social source share

I've never found a covered up record before it became uncovered in my 15 years of collecting.

has anybody else here found a covered up record without actually havign the head start of being told what it is by the person who has it covered up ?

off course the answer will be yes but I think in most cases the first few copies bought will be by people who know the name and have not found it out them selves.

Yes sireee! Listened to a clip that someone attatched on here to a sales topic, though God I know that, it bugged me all the way home and all that night, at around 2AM, I got out of bed and slauntered off to the basement, spent 30 mins going through my funk section to discover said tune!

Social source share

Fastest I had was 5 minutes on the computer...heard it at a weekender on the saturday night, got back on sunday night, as I had no computer at home first stop after train station on the way home was was the internet cafe..5 min later I had the real identity...not the record though LOL !

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Another funny one happened at one of my first visits to the Hideaway club late nineties /start of 2000...shortly before my first set David Minta said " Oh I have a great new unknown 45 with me...will play it later as aC/UP"...then I start deejaying and after I had announced one of my first spins of the night Tommy Jay "Tender Love" ...Mr MInta came to me with a unhappy look on his face saiyng "blimey, that WAS my C/UP" priceless ! LOL!

Social source share

, Dave Abbotts Al Green c/up is great &

wait until you hear "The Free Church of East Illonois", "Rufus Stone & The New Foresters" and "The Blade Family" mate - you will pooh your pants - i wont even mention the other one becuase i am afraid you will spontaneously combust.

i agree with every one who agrees - Cover-Ups are great no matter how common or rare :-)

Social source share

wait until you hear "The Free Church of East Illonois", "Rufus Stone & The New Foresters"

Oh yes, another great aspect of the beauty/beast named C/UP...the great names one can create. Yours are quite..."funky" already :rolleyes: The best yet so far though I must say was Tim Browns creation of "Lee Crandle Experience"...a former writer of zoological books from the century before last...who would have come to think of that LOL ! Best name I came up with so far is the "Sweet Milliners"...just ´cause my girl is a milliner :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Adam G

In my opinion Paul Mooney explained it better than I can when he said "Its like someone saying have got this brilliant book I want you to read its excellant but I'm going to cover the cover so you dont know the title and the author ?" so you cant find and buy it as well ! To me pointless exercise .

Social source share

I'm always slightly embarrassed by the notion that when Frank Wilson - Do I Love You was covered as Eddie Foster, and even booted as such on a IN boot as I recall, I had been collecting the SOUL label for a couple of years (harder in the days before ebay) and had written to Motown for a label list (long before PCs or google) I had gratefully received a phot-copied ledger list that had S35019 FRANK WILSON - DO I LOVE YOU (INDEED I DO) / Sweeter as the days go by on the first page of the list. The sender had kindly written NR at the side of any Not Released tracks. Frank Wilson didn't have NR written at the side, still have the orig list. As an under confident younger small time collector on the scene I pondered if there was any chance it could be but never voiced opinion for fear of being ridiculed for not knowing the as yet unknown to me Frank Wilson track. A bit more confidence could have uplifted my status in the day!

I recall hours of juvenile "fun" with Rob Marriot and his friend 'Hoppy' on journeys to Wigan taking inspiration from shop names for c/u for the imaginary day when we were going to unearth the next Northern Soul big stomper (or Killer-diller as Rob would say), Dorothy Perkins was always a favourite waiting its day.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

I recall hours of juvenile "fun" with Rob Marriot and his friend 'Hoppy' on journeys to Wigan taking inspiration from shop names for c/u for the imaginary day when we were going to unearth the next Northern Soul big stomper (or Killer-diller as Rob would say), Dorothy Perkins was always a favourite waiting its day.

I heared one of Butch's C/Us 4 or so years ago was named after a shop in Stoke - can't remember which one though. Wasn't Hank Hodge Eye For an Eye was it?

Social source share

In my opinion Paul Mooney explained it better than I can when he said "Its like someone saying have got this brilliant book I want you to read its excellant but I'm going to cover the cover so you dont know the title and the author ?" so you cant find and buy it as well ! To me pointless exercise .

A ridiculous analogy IMO Adam. How can you compare a practice that has gone on for 40 or 50 years on various dance scenes with reading a book? DJ's put a lot of time, money and effort into finding rare records to keep this scene alive and fresh, why should they not enjoy a bit of exclusivity from their efforts. It's not like the artist is going to gain by keeping it uncovered, they will make no money out of it.

Social source share

Oh yes, another great aspect of the beauty/beast named C/UP...the great names one can create. Yours are quite..."funky" already :thumbup:

correct, Marc :rolleyes:

i have deiced to stop using 'proper' artist/band names - my Al Green doesn't sound like Al Green; my Esquires doesnt sound any thing like the Esquires...niether does the Blade Family but that is work in progress and not played out yet so time to change the name before i do...probably to 'Reckless Vickers and the Baghdad Bombers'

Social source share

correct, Marc :rolleyes:

i have deiced to stop using 'proper' artist/band names - my Al Green doesn't sound like Al Green; my Esquires doesnt sound any thing like the Esquires...niether does the Blade Family but that is work in progress and not played out yet so time to change the name before i do...probably to 'Reckless Vickers and the Baghdad Bombers'

I know some used to take a clue from the label, credits, where the label came from etc and then go from there when it came to making a name up.

Social source share

DJ's put a lot of time, money and effort into finding rare records to keep this scene alive and fresh, why should they not enjoy a bit of exclusivity from their efforts.

...and that's the point I was trying to make; you have put it much better than I could. Also with a cover up the DJ actually "breaks" something new rather than another spin of the wheel for the Mel Britt-ometer. If you had invested the time and effort in doing all that, then why not get something back for your effort.

In fairness Adam, I think this is always something that is challenged outside of rare soul circles.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Chalky my friend. Guy was the king of C/U names..Calling the Masquaders on Soultown the "Albanians" Brilliant. I'm gonna steal that one thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif His next newie was always something to look forward to, not just to listen to but to find out what he'd come up with for a name next biggrin.gif

Social source share

I suppose a lot of the mystery has gone out of c/u's.BITD they were generally out of the reach of most,being genuinely hard.

Now its more fun covering a record that doesn't cost the earth.

Recently there was a c/u that was a new release,out of Manchester,an instru by a bunch of students i think.For me,not enough mystique in that record,to give it "legs" on the scene.

The Flamingo's c/u recently caused a ripple for a while in some venues,not an unknown,just missed in the rush.And certaintly not expensive.

Like SteveG said,when a record is uncovered it depends how you (the dj) view the c/u.Do you laugh it off? Or feel pissed off?

Sitting at home nowadays, you can Google the bollx out of the scene.That should give you an indicator of wether to c/u a tune or not...

Social source share

Chalky my friend. Guy was the king of C/U names..Calling the Masquaders on Soultown the "Albanians" Brilliant. I'm gonna steal that one thumbsup.gif

Was it firstly ... The Albanians from Corfu Town ? :wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Was it firstly ... The Albanians from Corfu Town ? ph34r.gif

Wasn't the story on this that Guy when he was with Margeret, whilst in Corfu saw two suspicious figures darting about in a clandestine manner and crawling in the sand comando style heading towards the sea. They investigated further and it was Gaz Kellet :wicked: and another Cyberman type (might have been Dave Malloy?). The plan was to attack Albania laugh.gif In tribute to such tomfoolery and high jinks Guy created the C/U name.

Like Butch's Stoke shop name C/U it is entirely possible that this is a false memory and a complete figment of my somewhat warped imagination.

I'm definitely in favour of C/Us by the way. They keep me amused.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!