Gary Sole - Holding On - Knight

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A man of many voices is Gary Sol'e! May sound like Gary Puckett on "Holdin' On", but have you heard "Driving Me Mad" by the Soul Blenders (flip side of "Tight Rope"), on which he sings lead vocals? Sounds just like Jim Davidson doing his 'Chalky' routine in the '80s!

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Guy's Gary Sole was never the singer of the soul blenders , Traci Borges that owned Knight records told me that all the song's that he wrote were written over a two to three week period following the break up of Him and His fiance who were both cajun Indians. she worked in a shoe shop and He was working with the police as a photographer as He still was at the time of our interview.Gary sole was white as were most of the artists except the bass player who came from Chigaco but Traci couldn't remember His name.I spoke to Gary shortly befor He died and He sang Holding on down the phone to my wife Tina.Gary was seen as a sex symbol in the New Orleans area and Girls would scream ect at Him when He performed live.Sadly after Gary's wife died/left him ( can't remember which ) Gary became known as a lock in a term used to describe people who put on massive amount's of weight and can't leave thier homes Gary sadly died of complications due to His condition.the Knight lable design came from a picture that Traci saw whilst visiting His auntie in the north east of England , he was at the time of the interview a commited born again Christian . he has many hours of unissued trcks by various artists and indeed sang some track's Himself " Standby Man / b/w Driving me mad I will be discussing a deal to release this stuff soon as I need to make contact again as we became good friends and had many deep conversations regarding Buddhism , Christianity and social conflict He was very intreste in thing's like the miners strike and was very proud when I was arrested at the poll tax riots !!!.I'm just hoping He's not dead !!!!! .Here's a bit of info for collectors , there were never any acetates cut of any of Knight's work so any offered for sale are not original and the rare funk 45 was not therorecticly legal as it was released by his ex partner after thier split as was the stock sold behind his back to an English dealer .I'll keep you all posted on developments all the best Simon.

Social source share

Hi Guy's Gary Sole was never the singer of the soul blenders , Traci Borges that owned Knight records told me that all the song's that he wrote were written over a two to three week period following the break up of Him and His fiance who were both cajun Indians. she worked in a shoe shop and He was working with the police as a photographer as He still was at the time of our interview.Gary sole was white as were most of the artists except the bass player who came from Chigaco but Traci couldn't remember His name.I spoke to Gary shortly befor He died and He sang Holding on down the phone to my wife Tina.Gary was seen as a sex symbol in the New Orleans area and Girls would scream ect at Him when He performed live.Sadly after Gary's wife died/left him ( can't remember which ) Gary became known as a lock in a term used to describe people who put on massive amount's of weight and can't leave thier homes Gary sadly died of complications due to His condition.the Knight lable design came from a picture that Traci saw whilst visiting His auntie in the north east of England , he was at the time of the interview a commited born again Christian . he has many hours of unissued trcks by various artists and indeed sang some track's Himself " Standby Man / b/w Driving me mad I will be discussing a deal to release this stuff soon as I need to make contact again as we became good friends and had many deep conversations regarding Buddhism , Christianity and social conflict He was very intreste in thing's like the miners strike and was very proud when I was arrested at the poll tax riots !!!.I'm just hoping He's not dead !!!!! .Here's a bit of info for collectors , there were never any acetates cut of any of Knight's work so any offered for sale are not original and the rare funk 45 was not therorecticly legal as it was released by his ex partner after thier split as was the stock sold behind his back to an English dealer .I'll keep you all posted on developments all the best Simon.

Was there any connection between Gary Sole and that Gary Knight " Night People " ? I remember you telling me the story years ago, but I've forgotten now ?

( rugby tomorrow ?)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi John I hope you and yours are o.k , no John no connection at all the Gary Knight recording was found by Tim Ashebende and was part of a clutch of acetates that were the final piece's of work from Bob Stone's pen.Also included were "perfect combination" said to be Eddie Garrigans last recording ( unisssued ), "fun lover" said to be one of the Okasions last recordings ( unissued )and a few others .Tim told me at the time that He contacted Gary Knight about further acetates and the guy went all but crazy down the phone to him , must have been some kind of nutter or something.I think that I put these acetates on a tape for you ( I'm going back around 25 years ago John ! ) see you later son all the best Simon.

Social source share

Gary Sole - real name - Gary Gaspard - I have a black and white signed A4 photograph of him that l obtained from Traci Borges on my first visit/contact with him back in 1980/81.

Regards

Dave.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Dave how did you get on with Traci was He a radical Christian then ? and did you meet Him at the " Village " ? all the best Simon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert