Ebay Nightmare - Can I Protect Myself?

Briefly, sold 4 lp's to the same person. One was solid mint, one was mint minus, the other two were vg++. He has emailed me saying he his unhappy at the conditions of ALL of them and wants to return them. Now I am not bothered if he wants to return them, that's up to him, and am happy to refund him, but I think something fishy is going on, the main two records really were superb, the best I've ever seen, and he could not possibly get better copies. Seriously. My fear is that he will have replaced my good copies with his bad copies, and of course as soon as I sign for the package, he can get his money back off paypal. Even worse scenario, I could sign for them, then open it up, and maybe not even those records are enclosed.

Is there any way to protect yourself in this situation? If I open them with the postman as a witness maybe?

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Briefly, sold 4 lp's to the same person. One was solid mint, one was mint minus, the other two were vg++. He has emailed me saying he his unhappy at the conditions of ALL of them and wants to return them. Now I am not bothered if he wants to return them, that's up to him, and am happy to refund him, but I think something fishy is going on, the main two records really were superb, the best I've ever seen, and he could not possibly get better copies. Seriously. My fear is that he will have replaced my good copies with his bad copies, and of course as soon as I sign for the package, he can get his money back off paypal. Even worse scenario, I could sign for them, then open it up, and maybe not even those records are enclosed.

Is there any way to protect yourself in this situation? If I open them with the postman as a witness maybe?

first off name and shame the buyer pete. tough one this, as i see what your saying and if you do think its dodgy tell him to feck off :thumbsup: if he does rip you, then if he is selling stuff we can all bid on everything and then tell him to shove his sale where the sun dont shine. Ebay, theres always a risk.

Social source share

The bad side of selling Pete im afraid :thumbsup:

You may be over reacting and it could be all innocent on his behalf..

I've sent things out that were great to my eyes and ears and have had em returned for different reasons...ive refuned the buyers but luckily i havent been scammed .

Not really sure what you can do ..if you dont comply he can go to paypal anyway and put in a dispute ...if he's uk and you feel so strong ,call his bluff and tell him not to post em and that you'll come and pick em up in person :thumbsup:

Dont think you can name and shame someone who hasnt yet committed any offence??

Good luck and keep us all posted :thumbsup:

Social source share

The bad side of selling Pete im afraid sad.gif

I've sent things out that were great to my eyes and ears and have had em returned for different reasons...ive refuned the buyers but luckily i havent been scammed .

Not really sure what you can do ..if you dont comply he can go to paypal anyway and put in a dispute ...if he's uk and you feel so strong ,call his bluff and tell him not to post em and that you'll come and pick em up in person :thumbsup:

had my fair share of knob heads on ebay so i have very little margin for patience with them now, too many of them on there, one tried to rip off my other halfs son the other week for £300, git a shock when he got a knock on the door :thumbsup: ive bought tons of stuff off pete on here and everyone has been exactly if not better as described in the sales. so sounds like this guy may be trying his luck, hope im wrong.

Edited by grant
Social source share

The bad side of selling Pete im afraid :thumbsup:

No like I say - I am not bothered about refunding the money as I could have sold them all a few times over - but FOUR records being wrongly graded, two of which I actually purchased as mint minus...somethings not quite right

Social source share

I have purchased off most dealers in the uk and your gradings are second to none :thumbsup: All you can hope for is that the bloke has had second thoughts about buying the records in which case he/she should be honest about the reasons an not bulls*** about your gradings I seem to remember someone tried to switch a record on you before (female if my memory serves me right??) I hope its not happening this time :thumbsup:

Social source share

I see exactly where you're going on this Pete but as already hinted at there might just be a straight forward simple answer.

For reasons which we'll never know, he's decided he doesn't want the records anymore, the condition of the records is not the issue, he's just saying that to obtain a no quarrel refund rather than tell you honestly that he can't afford them (or whatever) and get into possibly a long drawn out arguement with bitterness being the winner.

What's his Ebay feedback say?

Sometimes being super street wise goes against you - poor lad's being accused of murder and he hasn't thrown a punch yet hahaha....

Summat that I've just thought of -

if you still have a niggling doubt about potential foul play, you could call his bluff by jokingly tell him that all records you sell have been indelibly marked with one of those special pens that only shows up under UV or summat.

He can't check that to know whether you're telling the truth or not.

Just call me Bond. James Bond.

derek x

Social source share

Did he specify why he is not happy with the condition? A few people have very high (if not unrealistic) standards about gradings, and he could be one of those. If he could describe why he isn't happy with the condition, then it would proabably be easier to tell if he is a man who is genuine about not being happy with the gradings. If I was in your situation, and I felt that the condition couldn't possibly be any better, then I would try to get him to explain why. He must be able to put in words why they are not good enough.

Just let him know that you are willing to work it out, but you want to understand what you did wrong as you don't see how you could have done it differently.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

You could tell him that you keep photos of all your sales and detailed shots of vinyl including the label.

Call his bluff and ask him to send you a few pictures of the areas of concern where he thinks the grading is not as described.

Dunno how possible this is though. Just another angle to think about.

Here's hoping he's just trying to back out.

Social source share

had a lad try it on at a nighter once (Sheridans) in yorkshire

asked if he could take a couple over to player as he wasnt sure if tittles was the

one he thought it was

said ok, checked he had 4 records

came back about 20 minutes later,said sorry he had a dance in between

put them at back of my box--saw there was 4

anyway later that week another person said have you got this record

not connected to lad who played it

when i came to ship it,found it was a look alike boot that had been swapped for the orig

i know the lads face,but not his name

Edited by keithw
Social source share

had a lad try it on at a nighter once (Sheridans) in yorkshire

asked if he could take a couple over to player as he wasnt sure if tittles was the

one he thought it was

said ok, checked he had 4 records

came back about 20 minutes later,said sorry he had a dance in between

put them at back of my box--saw there was 4

anyway later that week another person said have you got this record

not connected to lad who played it

when i came to ship it,found it was a look alike boot that had been swapped for the orig

i know the lads face,but not his name

How about a sketch then Keith :thumbsup:

Some shysters about ...with brass necks on em eh!

Social source share

Maybe he/she realised it was too much money and he/she couldn't afford them ?

Pete, were these 4 records expensive ones ?

Yes, they were quite expensive. The buyer said he was extremely fussy and frequently returned records. Wish he'd mentioned that before hand :lol:

Social source share