Dancefloor Disaters

Craig W

After recent discussions on here makes me want to ask this question. The dancefloor is full , you then play something obscure maybe that totally clears the dancefloor. What record is near enough guaranteed to fill it again from from experience from a Djs point or if you are in the crowd what would get you back up to dance to everytime.I need to know before I DJ again :lol:

Social source share

After recent discussions on here makes me want to ask this question. The dancefloor is full , you then play something obscure maybe that totally clears the dancefloor. What record is near enough guaranteed to fill it again from from experience from a Djs point or if you are in the crowd what would get you back up to dance to everytime.I need to know before I DJ again :lol:

Pat and the Blenders :lol:

Social source share

I cleared the dance floor in Dundee with my first record last friday with Judson Moore- push & pull (Brilliant in my view) Cannot remmber what I put on next (Some bloody oldie - Linda Jones I think) and the dance floor was full . What does it take to educate people? :lol: Or am I crap DJ- (The gasher need not comment!)

Ive remebered what it was- One of the other djs told me if I put on Our love will grow- by the showmen then one of 2 girls would give me a blow job! HMMM! :lol:

Edited by Ernie Andrews
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Constellations - I didn't know how -

Unless your djing to death people then it becomes a different matter, hows your sign language ?, thats a thought djing with sign language similar to late night tv with the chap or chapess in the corner of the screen , any volunteers ???

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I cleared the dance floor in Dundee with my first record last friday with Judson Moore- push & pull (Brilliant in my view) Cannot remmber what I put on next (Some bloody oldie - Linda Jones I think) and the dance floor was full . What does it take to educate people? :lol: Or am I crap DJ- (The gasher need not comment!)

Ive remebered what it was- One of the other djs told me if I put on Our love will grow- by the showmen then one of 2 girls would give me a blow job! HMMM! :lol:

did they ? ...... personally i thought one of the scooterist might though

Davie

Social source share

Guest dodger

Unless your djing to death people

Do you mean people who are dead or just look dead? There's plenty of the latter knocking around the scene. :lol::lol:

Social source share

You could A ) See Pete-S playlist from same thread and play as he played, or B ) Borrow some records like Pete-S did. :lol:

You can't lose with a classic Oldie, If Oldies are filling the floor.

Here's 3 for ya (From my own collection, Pete :lol: )

Eddie Foster - I Never Knew - IN

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You - Zodiac

Jack Montgomery - My Dearly Beloved - Scepter

Incidently, Mark Bicknell is guesting at our night on Friday and I'm borrowing his records, so I should be able to play a right set :lol:

Only knobbling, when are you gonna have Me & Rich down to guest for ya & buy that Mr Smith a pint??

Jamie :lol:

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

I'll PM you Jamie with the next date .We could do with a couple of lads from up north to show us how its done properly :lol:

Think you better PM 2 other guys then :lol:

Would love to mate :lol:

J

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

once i cleared the floor with Delegates of Soul

next i played willie tee "one way street" which got them back

I know just the loving home for that dance-floor-clearing piece of crap whistling.gif

Social source share

I'm pretty sure I went to a venue in Leeds last year where 2 stunning female Djs played OOTF by Dobie Gray about 14 times in the same night and it filled the floor evey time :lol:

Just a shame they were trying to kill us as opposed to dancing to it whistling.gif

But it was danced to in all the spots in which it was played afterwards, about another 4 or 5 times :thumbsup:

Social source share

I'm pretty sure I went to a venue in Leeds last year where 2 stunning female Djs played OOTF by Dobie Gray about 14 times in the same night and it filled the floor evey time whistling.gif

they certainly were stunning but I think they only played it 7 times :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest gibber

Dig some proper oldies out, the likes of Yvonne & viollletts cross my heart , what never fails for me is the shirelles you could be my remedy. fantastic

Social source share

Do you mean people who are dead or just look dead? There's plenty of the latter knocking around the scene. whistling.gif:P

Oi Roger - have you nicked Jodies avatar????

Thought your Mace/Bidds one was much better... :thumbsup:

Back to thread - guarenteed floor packers....Tangeers 'Let my heart and soul...' :lol:

Social source share

Personally don´t think its such a big damage done if a record clears the floor every now and then as long as its not emptied too long. After a while people get used to them and start to dance to them. Can´t believe records like Robert Tanner & Pat & the Blenders ao filled the floor when they started to get played frequently or ? Is it harder to get the floors going nowadays then say for example ten years ago ??

5 safe cards for me that always work: whistling.gif

Rose Batiste - Hit & Run

Puzzles - My sweet baby

Voices of east Harlem- Cashing In

J Howard - Chase is on

Lena & the Deltanettes - Can´t turnaround baby (haven´t played it yet. just got it but knows it will work. Otherwise its time to use the raresoul uzi )

cheers Soulof

Social source share

Here's 3 for ya (From my own collection, Pete :lol: )

Eddie Foster - I Never Knew - IN

Ruby Andrews - Just Loving You - Zodiac

Jack Montgomery - My Dearly Beloved - Scepter

Ooh big deal, I've only had about 15 copies of Jack Montgomery....I don't collect records Jamie, I sell them.

Social source share

Err.

The Snake

or Do I fcuking Love You

:lol::lol::wub:

Coat Got

Gone

Tony

I hate the snake :angry:

and dont remember Do I fcuking Love You is it similar to Do I Love You? :lol:

hope you coming back :lol:

Social source share

I remember listening and also watching Colin Curtis do his sets from 72 to 76 who incidently on a limited budget did sterling job behind the decks of The Tocrh and The Mecca for many years, I digress.

It became obvious that he always started with three popular tunes making sure his last one of the three was similar to his next which would invaribly be a 'new one' he would then play it batches of three similar records sneaking in four of five maybe more if he'd had a good week at Bradford market.

I tend to work out my spots before hand based on that clubs clientel. Staring off with a chance record no matter how good it is is dodgy, the first three tunes of your set are the morst important.

Social source share

Constellations - I didn't know how -

Unless your djing to death people then it becomes a different matter, hows your sign language ?, thats a thought djing with sign language similar to late night tv with the chap or chapess in the corner of the screen , any volunteers ???

I played this a couple of times in Sydney and killed the floor( constillations), the only thing for our crowd which works for me ( get out of jail tune) is Curtis Mayfield -Move on up

works a treat and at least i can appreciate the tune rather than swallowing my pride and playing the snake ( which i don,t have anyway) or wade in the water

pete m

Social source share

Pat and the Blenders :thumbsup:

Funny old world innit? This was a guaranteed floor clearer a few years back when I was plugging it whenever I could. Now I hear the very same people who dismissed it raving about it now. The fickle world of Northern Soul.

Social source share

After recent discussions on here makes me want to ask this question. The dancefloor is full , you then play something obscure maybe that totally clears the dancefloor. What record is near enough guaranteed to fill it again from from experience from a Djs point or if you are in the crowd what would get you back up to dance to everytime.I need to know before I DJ again :rolleyes:

I know what works best for me...........

Handing over to the next DJ :thumbsup: .

Social source share

After recent discussions on here makes me want to ask this question. The dancefloor is full , you then play something obscure maybe that totally clears the dancefloor. What record is near enough guaranteed to fill it again from from experience from a Djs point or if you are in the crowd what would get you back up to dance to everytime.I need to know before I DJ again whistling.gif

Because you cleared the floor does not mean they did not like the record, Just that they could not dance to it, But if it annoys you then Play The Snake !

NigelT

Social source share

once i cleared the floor with Delegates of Soul

next i played willie tee "one way street" which got them back

i remember clearing the floor with willie tee once and back in 77 - it was a NAAFI however. thumbsup.gif

could never please them smelly appo's :thumbsup:

Social source share

i remember clearing the floor with willie tee once and back in 77 - it was a NAAFI however. :thumbsup:

could never please them smelly appo's :D

we had judge dredd in our naafi once now he cleared my head let alone the floor. what a big fat nancy. on the other hand we also had the three degrees one weekend they were brilliant. (it was 73 ish)

Social source share

I cleared the dance floor in Dundee with my first record last friday with Judson Moore- push & pull (Brilliant in my view) Cannot remmber what I put on next (Some bloody oldie - Linda Jones I think) and the dance floor was full . What does it take to educate people? :D Or am I crap DJ- (The gasher need not comment!)

Ive remebered what it was- One of the other djs told me if I put on Our love will grow- by the showmen then one of 2 girls would give me a blow job! HMMM! :D

After 30+ years on the scene some of us dont need educating we need things that we think are fcuking brill DJ or not the dancers opinion counts lest you forget why you are up there! NOT to educate us to make us dance. NUFF SAID :thumbsup:
Social source share

Well in Clowne we should have a glass box marked "In Case Of Non Dancing Break Glass" with behind it a copy of Willie Mitchell "The Champion" - it's our local anthem

Aye, I remember the Chipster flogging this to death at the BRSA club down the road in Shirebrook back in the mid-70s - along with Little Anthony, Bobby Paris and Jesse Green :thumbsup:

Social source share

After 30+ years on the scene some of us dont need educating we need things that we think are fcuking brill DJ or not the dancers opinion counts lest you forget why you are up there! NOT to educate us to make us dance. NUFF SAID :D
could not agree more, simple every dj clears the floor from time to time shit happens. best time to drop a new or obscure record is at the beginning of your set, lets them know theres a new dj on and a change of sound. After that you clear the floor or numbers dwindle during your set another couple of times, chances are your taste does suck and so does your vibe!!!!! punters need no educating on northern soul, people who go to northern soul nights for a night out are into the sound to enjoy and dance to!!! new tune something different classic whatever it is if the vibe is good people will take to a tune instantly. your job is to fill a dance floor, educate what an outrageous thing to say, Thats me away out hun going for a pint dance and an education on a 45 soul record :D hmmmmm collector on the decks not a good sign!!!! punters you hear a shite dj go rite up to the decks and tell him you think he is mince need more of this, four or five people start telling you to your face your crap soon see the ego burst, weed them out northern soul is moving with them just now. :thumbsup: soul you cant buy it and we pity those who try!!!
Social source share

Why is it wrong to be 'educated'?

We have all been and will continue to be 'educated' on this scene. That is one of the marvels of the soul scene that everyone can be surprised by a new record or piece of knowledge. I thought that was part of the appeal?

I want to know more all the time.

Shane

Social source share

punters you hear a shite dj go rite up to the decks and tell him you think he is mince need more of this, four or five people start telling you to your face your crap soon see the ego burst, weed them out northern soul is moving with them just now. :thumbsup: soul you cant buy it and we pity those who try!!!

Anyone who treats anyone in this way want's a size nine up their arse, and if they did it to me that's what they'd get.

If you want a DJ to play the same old tired tunes week in week out I suggest you buy a CD jukebox, fill it with Goldmine CDs and stay at home. You'd be doing everyone a favour.

Social source share

Why is it wrong to be 'educated'?

We have all been and will continue to be 'educated' on this scene. That is one of the marvels of the soul scene that everyone can be surprised by a new record or piece of knowledge. I thought that was part of the appeal?

I want to know more all the time.

Shane

100% right shane, though maybe the word 'educated' isn't quite right cos of the teacher/pupil connotations.

But with respect to OoooRICKoooO and Soul Biscuits, I don't care if you've been on the scene for 130 years, you still won't have heard everything, and you'll have forgotten half of what you have heard.

There's two kinds of people IMO: those who get all arsey when they read about 'education' and hear DJs trying to play new sounds and those who think 'f*** me, that's a great record I've never heard before, wish I'd heard it when I was still young enough to dance!'

Not saying that obscurity for obscurity's sake is the right way to go - just that if you can't appreciate a sound you've never heard that's a bit sad.

Like I say, education is the wrong word; there is a right one which I can't put my finger on right now.

Dan

Social source share

could not agree more, simple every dj clears the floor from time to time shit happens. best time to drop a new or obscure record is at the beginning of your set, lets them know theres a new dj on and a change of sound. After that you clear the floor or numbers dwindle during your set another couple of times, chances are your taste does suck and so does your vibe!!!!! punters need no educating on northern soul, people who go to northern soul nights for a night out are into the sound to enjoy and dance to!!! new tune something different classic whatever it is if the vibe is good people will take to a tune instantly. your job is to fill a dance floor, educate what an outrageous thing to say, Thats me away out hun going for a pint dance and an education on a 45 soul record :D hmmmmm collector on the decks not a good sign!!!! punters you hear a shite dj go rite up to the decks and tell him you think he is mince need more of this, four or five people start telling you to your face your crap soon see the ego burst, weed them out northern soul is moving with them just now. :D soul you cant buy it and we pity those who try!!!

thank god you are part of the minority on the soul scene!

some of the worst opinions i have ever read on this forum. each to their own i suppose but can i send you a list of venues to avoid? :thumbsup:

Shane

Social source share

Anyone who treats anyone in this way want's a size nine up their arse, and if they did it to me that's what they'd get.

If you want a DJ to play the same old tired tunes week in week out I suggest you buy a CD jukebox, fill it with Goldmine CDs and stay at home. You'd be doing everyone a favour.

Thing is Pikey, due to the Goldmine cd's being so popular, they have educated complete newcomers who now regularly visit gigs. Obviously good for Northern Soul .

Now whoever compiled a lot of those little silver discs for us all to enjoy needs a season ticket for life at say...Hillsborough!

Social source share

Just to put you right, I am not adverse to new tunes BUT those djs who stand up on the decks thinking im GOD and do NOT play for the crowd are egotistical. I have been to steam twice in the last few weeks listened and danced to a lot of sounds ive not heard before!! Your reply is typical of the GOD syndrome "i will play what i like and F***** the crowd" sorry but thats not how things work. People will let you know if yr shite thats human nature! I personally just wont spend the money.

As for the same old tired tunes ask yourself this Where would i be if not for those old tired tunes? and if they were not so popular how come they bring the prices that they do?

OLDIES/NEWIES is an age old arguement, who cares as long as it makes you want to dance. We are all part of the same scene. I go to nighters to enjoy myself listen to the music and dance, so ive given you the opinion of the "punter" maybe not everyones opinion but certainly a lot of peoples opinion.

I myself cannot think of a better place to be on a Saturday night than on a packed dancefloor and doing my thing!!!!!!

Social source share

Just to put you right, I am not adverse to new tunes BUT those djs who stand up on the decks thinking im GOD and do NOT play for the crowd are egotistical. I have been to steam twice in the last few weeks listened and danced to a lot of sounds ive not heard before!! Your reply is typical of the GOD syndrome "i will play what i like and F***** the crowd" sorry but thats not how things work. People will let you know if yr shite thats human nature! I personally just wont spend the money.

As for the same old tired tunes ask yourself this Where would i be if not for those old tired tunes? and if they were not so popular how come they bring the prices that they do?

I will have been DJing at one of those nights at Steam (possibly both) and I agree, the dancefloor should be kept busy, that's a fact I won't dispute.

I don't accept that 'punters' ( a word I hate but can't think of a better word) have the right to slag DJs off to their face whilst they are up their doing their thing... hence the kick up the arse comment...

If someone wants to tell me I'm shit after I've finished DJing then fair enough.

One of the DJs at 'Back Beat' told me it was common practice to be shouted at whilst DJing in the South (where he's from) and he was kacking himself because he expected the same in the North. Thankfully this isn't the case and he played an excellent spot.

If you don't like what a DJ is playing, let the promoter know, they booked them and it's down to them to decide whether they should have them back - it's not the responsibilty of a solitary gobshite to shout them down.

On the same note, if a DJ plays an excellent spot, then let the promoter know as well.

Social source share

I will have been DJing at one of those nights at Steam (possibly both) and I agree, the dancefloor should be kept busy, that's a fact I won't dispute.

I don't accept that 'punters' ( a word I hate but can't think of a better word) have the right to slag DJs off to their face whilst they are up their doing their thing... hence the kick up the arse comment...

If someone wants to tell me I'm shit after I've finished DJing then fair enough.

One of the DJs at 'Back Beat' told me it was common practice to be shouted at whilst DJing in the South (where he's from) and he was kacking himself because he expected the same in the North. Thankfully this isn't the case and he played an excellent spot.

If you don't like what a DJ is playing, let the promoter know, they booked them and it's down to them to decide whether they should have them back - it's not the responsibilty of a solitary gobshite to shout them down.

On the same note, if a DJ plays an excellent spot, then let the promoter know as well.

Agreed :thumbsup: I personnally will not slag a dj to his face or behind his back i just wont go where he is BUT if someone does a really good spot then i will let them know Beggsy did brilliant spots both weeks as did Scotty and they were told so(Y). But as i say its human nature to protest and i dont think it is avoidable.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!