Dream Record Of All Time

Impact

Guest smudgesmith

My dream came true this week,after several years of trying................its now in my box George Pepp:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Preems

Some brilliant tunes here folks, love to hear the wide variety from the wonderful scene hatsoff2.gif

agreed, this is a great soul education for me, some beautiful records!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

appointmeants - i saw you there, would love one of those :thumbsup:

Mello Souls - we can make it :thumbup:

Parliaments - this is my rainy day :D

Intensions - She needs somebody :(

Social source share

Guest Preems

appointmeants - i saw you there, would love one of those :thumbsup:

Mello Souls - we can make it :thumbup:

Parliaments - this is my rainy day :D

Intensions - She needs somebody :(

The Intensions sounds lot like Del Larks no??

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

oh did i mention how much i would love to own thee greatest double sider in existance :D

Magnetics - Lady in Green/ heart you made of stone :(:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The Intensions sounds lot like Del Larks no??

i little bit maybe but to me nothing solunds like the Intensions its in a league of its own :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bearsy,

Reminded me of Majestics as opening vocals sound a bit "Mexican". " Hey gringo" style of thing. I played it c/u about 10/11 years ago as Majestics along with Ebo-nees and Extremes on 4J all of which spectacularly bombed. To be fair to the crowd they probably wanted to hear Alfie Davidson. About that time I thought "f*ck it!"

Ernie,

That tale sounds like the time I sold it to John Grant for £40 in HMV on a Sat afternoon. I have the Canadian. I think "Newer" on here has it as well.

Social source share

oh did i mention how much i would love to own thee greatest double sider in existance :lol:

Magnetics - Lady in Green/ heart you made of stone :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I turned down when of these in 78.:thumbsup:

I loved the intro, :D but not the song back than.:lol:

It much have took about 15 years to grow on me, but it was too late than :(

P.S. My dream record was Don Gardner "Cheatin' Kind"

Edited by davetay
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Preems

i little bit maybe but to me nothing solunds like the Intensions its in a league of its own :lol:

yes it certainly is!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soul over easy

this is a really hard one to pick as i think over the years songs i once loved have lost favour for other ones? but deffinate for me would be a toss up of SWEET THREE / I WOULD IF I COULD ...SANDRA PHILIPS / WORLD WITHOUT SUNSHINE... SEQUINS / HES A FLIRT.

Social source share

well one of the best slabs of soul for me has to be either four tops still waters smokey & miracles ooh baby baby or al green how do you mend a broken heart, if were talkin mega expensive tunes i honestly cant answer as every time i think ive heard the ultimate a new one hits my ears :yes: so ill stick with the quality rather than rarity but if pushed probably william cummings make my love a hurting thing or george lemons facinating girl

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest R C Carver

Richard Caiton.......One of my fav tracks alongside 'I Just Cant Speak- Jimmy Bo Horne'

Edited by R C Carver
Social source share

• 11 months later...

My dream came true this week,after several years of trying................its now in my box George Pepp:thumbsup:

Fred and Ruby Caliste, brother and sister, who wrote the song are both alive and well aged 79 and 84. Both still have a copy of the 45.

Sadly George Pepp died a few years ago.

I've asked Ruby if she has a picture of him she could share

Andy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Lester Tipton - This Wont Change

Sir Joe - Nobody Beats My Love

Earnestine Eady - Lets talk it over

Soul Incorporated - My Proposal

Ralph Jackson - I Can't Leave Your Love Alone

Wanda McDaniels & the Ultimate Choice - Gangster Boy

Eddie Daniels - Is He Better Than Me

Ishola Muhammed -

Sag War Fare - Dont Be So Jive

Tiaras - Surprise/Foolish Girl

Harvey Scales - Trying To Survive

Two Plus Two - Look Around

King George - I Need You

Florence Trapp - Love Came into My Life

Martha Jean Love - Butch Cover Up

& a few hundred or so more....

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Tony Bruno "How Am I Gonna Make It" (Hansa) or Tony Lampkin "He's A Better Liar Than Me" (Jemkyl) - two great tunes if you can find them

ATB

Mick

Social source share

My dream came true this week,after several years of trying................its now in my box George Peppbiggrin.gif

How long did it take?, i've been trying since the 80s to get one, Rudzy bought one back from the states in the late 90s, but decided to keep it :facepalm: , MY search continues :dash2:

Social source share

Guest scottie

MY DESERT ISLAND DISC WITHOUT A DOUBT AND WITHOUT HAVING TO THINK ABOUT IT TOO MUCH HAS TO BE "KEY TO MY HAPPINESS"BY THE CHARADES.SHEER BRILLIANCE

Social source share

Fred and Ruby Caliste, brother and sister, who wrote the song are both alive and well aged 79 and 84. Both still have a copy of the 45.

Sadly George Pepp died a few years ago.

I've asked Ruby if she has a picture of him she could share

Andy

............. so the rarity comes into question and Smudge's copy devalues by £800 :D :D :D

Steve

Social source share

My dream record is Lynn Terry - Good Thing Going. I know I'll never own one but it's still my ultimate want. The thing that I can't figure out though is why I like it so much. It couldn't be described as soulful but I guess it's just a superlative example of 60's girly sound.

Social source share

Guest Mike72

Guitar Ray - You're Gonna Wreck My Life - Shagg, could come up with a good few more but - at the moment - this little beauty sits nicely at the top of the pile!!

A brilliant, brilliant choice!! :hatsoff2: I'd never have thought of this one in a month of Sundays..... just out of my memory's reach, the bastard!! :dash2:

This thread is doing my head in, but it's a belter!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Professionals That's why I love you. Groove City

Four Voices Your love is getting stronger (green) Voice

Paul Smith I'll Run Jacklyn (got this)

Got to have a red issue Larry Clinton while I'm at it.

Cheers ears

Aid.

You seem obsessed by Paul Smith "I'll Run" on JACKLYN ,well,so am I ! Nothing to do with "Northern Soul" but a GR8 vocal rendition that most of us had,but because it is so beat-ballad,it sort of lay forgotten about forever ! Who was he,anyone know Darrow Fletcher's father ?) ? Strange label design also,not that regular one of Darrow Fletcher recordings.

Rob;

• Helpful 1
Social source share

too bitter and twisted, removed!

Thankfully and hopefully my days of slavishly slobbering over a single record have gone, I prefer to just dig in the more unusual places and see what turns up that I like, regaurdless of wether its the next big thing or highly in demand.

amazing how liberating it is.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

i little bit maybe but to me nothing solunds like the Intensions its in a league of its own :thumbsup:

those "Another Like'a Youuuuu"'s get me every time, that record is definitely up there for me too.

at the moment:

Ujima - I'm Not Ready

Natural Four - Hanging On To A Lie

Charades - Key To My Happiness

Delegates Of Soul - I'll Come Running Back

Willie Jones - Where's My Money (to buy all of these?) :(

Social source share

Bloody Good Question! And a hard one to answer depending on time of day and what kind of mood you're in! If pushed, I'd go with the following:

George Tindley - Ain't gonna worry about you. The one thing I had that I regret selling more than any other record, gives me goosebumps every time i hear it - just missed on on here a few weeks ago too, hadn't logged on for about a week - gutted!

I know! What were we thinking??? Just get to sorrowfully gaze at a scan of my old copy theses days. :(

gallery_2216_113_14909.jpg

We'll get another copy one day. :yes:

Maybe I'll get a copy of the Pyramid and a 'Dream my Heart' - Shirley Edwards also..

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

I ended up

I know! What were we thinking??? Just get to sorrowfully gaze at a scan of my old copy theses days. :(

We'll get another copy one day. :yes:

Maybe I'll get a copy of the Pyramid and a 'Dream my Heart' - Shirley Edwards also..

I ended up with a new copy from MarkW because of that post that I made, so I'm quite happy these days! (although it did cost just over twice what I'd paid for it before, still worth every penny though!)

:thumbsup::thumbup:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

I ended up

I ended up with a new copy from MarkW because of that post that I made, so I'm quite happy these days! (although it did cost just over twice what I'd paid for it before, still worth every penny though!)

:thumbsup::thumbup:

Oh good show! Can't remember what I paid for mine, £170 ish I think. High on the list of lovelies once owned that needs to be replaced with priority, Closely followed by The Lost Soul.

I did managed to get another copy of Clarence Hill for a hundred quid less than I paid for the first one though.. Can't believe I've shelled out 800 sheets in total on that record.

Northern Soul eh? :rolleyes:

Social source share

My 'All time' is shorter than most on this thread, but i'd find it hard to choose from one of the following two soul records, mainly because they each mean very different things but linked by how they made me react............

Tomangoes - I'd heard quite a few northern records in my early days of listening to soul, mainly northern when i was 13. Shook me to the core and made me realise that this is the stuff for me! The first day when i started to 'get it'.

Secondly........

Fred Williams - My first European weekender experience in Hamburg and this beauty came on (via Marc Forrest). Goosebumps that went right down from the nexk to my short and curlies, what a f*cking record. Builds and builds, that guitar work is so subtle but makes your insides churn. And the vocal just oooozes soul; pain anjd anguish wrapped into 2 and a half juddering minutes.

2 records that stopped me in my tracks, 2 records that i'll probably never own, but will always dream of owning

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!