** O'jays - Working On Your Case **

Hi everyone

The O'Jays Working On Your Case has always been one of my all time favourite 'proper' Northern records.

Have always thought of this as one of their West Coast rather than Detroit recorded numbers.

However, the arrangement is credited (both sides of the 45) to Herbie Williams (Pied Piper)

I presume this was arrangement only, but anyone know whether there was a closer Detroit connection on this one please?

Totally top class drumming thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest SoulRenaissance

FYI, the producer doesn't give you any info as to where it was recorded, Ed Wright, Cleveland DJ who became the O'Jays manager, produced both sides

An interview in Soul Up North with Ed/ Arthur Wright didn't shed any info on the origins of this recording, i think he only mentioned that he'd produced it. Took note of it at the time as i'd clocked the Herbie Williams credits.

We also have "No time for you" with the same producing/ arranging credits, and also Shawn Robinson "My dear heart".

Two numbers before "Working on your case", also arranged by Arthur Wright. Produced by Detroit producer Robert Staunton who brought it from Golden World at some point, as it's an unreleased Barbara Mercer Golden World recording.

Social source share

Don't think there's a connection between Ed and Arthur Wright? As Bob A mentions above Ed was the group's manager and the production credit is more likely contractual than technical. Herbie Williams arranged at a number of studios while working for Pied Piper: Detroit, Chicago, NYC to name but three documented locations.

As others have said a truly fabulous double sider and one of the true building blocks of what became the 'Northern Soul' sound. Think of the splash this would create in 2011 had it been unknown/rare/unissued.

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Don't think there's a connection between Ed and Arthur Wright? As Bob A mentions above Ed was the group's manager and the production credit is more likely contractual than technical. Herbie Williams arranged at a number of studios while working for Pied Piper: Detroit, Chicago, NYC to name but three documented locations.

As others have said a truly fabulous double sider and one of the true building blocks of what became the 'Northern Soul' sound. Think of the splash this would create in 2011 had it been unknown/rare/unissued.

Wasn't sure if Ed and Arthur were the same person til it was mentioned on here, never really delved into it.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

i wish they could make up their mind who wrote it, hold on side..............better version IMO and richards big cover up

post-20010-0-28460900-1303764397_thumb.j

Social source share

I believe this was cut in Los Angeles. "Working..." was an Intertains/Entertains song, hence the Larry Hancock co-credit (they performed it live) before the O'Jays recording. Ed Wright was a DJ at WABQ but he quit there and moved to LA to work for Minit records in late 1966. The O'Jays lived in LA from '66 until '70.

Social source share

I believe this was cut in Los Angeles. "Working..." was an Intertains/Entertains song, hence the Larry Hancock co-credit (they performed it live) before the O'Jays recording. Ed Wright was a DJ at WABQ but he quit there and moved to LA to work for Minit records in late 1966. The O'Jays lived in LA from '66 until '70.

thanks for the info!

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Was pondering on the issue about the Herbie Williams (Pied Piper) credit on this massive Northern sound tonight.

I decided to post something up on here - to see who knew what about it.

Thought I would have a quick Google first and threw up this thread - mine from April 2011   :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Anyway, still interested if there's any more.

Also - Mr Croasdell - got any info on this please?

Cheers

Richard
Social source share

Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing, but I first heard "Working on your case" on the Dave Simmons r&b radio 1  show played by his guest, Pete Waterman no less! Would have been about 1973 - loved it from that day to this.

And without wishing to be contentious ( I have owned a copy) the Generation doesn't hold a candle to the O'Jays for me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert