Spirit Of The Embankment! 29Th April

Proud to be hosting this one off special night at the ARK ."SPIRIT OF THE EMBANKMENT " pays tribute to the era of the Embankment Club Wellingborough. Promoted by Len Dopson for 15 years approx. Len spun the last record and gave it the final curtain call in April 2007.Over the years the club was instrumental in introducing many previously unheard tunes to the Northants area . Fusing Midtempo and Uptempo Northern Soul the embankment had a style of its own !

The night features Len (who else) plus ex. Embankment regulars . Carl Fortnum , Dave Vanner & The Banbury Boys Tom & Charlie

Doors are 7.30pm to 12.30am officially ,but we usually squeeze a few more in, so book your taxi or lift for 12.45am its also a good idea to get there early , not only to get your monies worth but most of the Ark regulars make an early start and grab all the seats. you know like the Germans on holiday :shades: .

Entry is £5.00 o.t.d. The ARK (Higham W.M.C.) is situated in Westfield Terrace Higham Ferrers Northants NN10 8BB

See ya there :hatsoff2:

Edited by gogopro
  • Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just want to reiterate the thinking behind this event - It's not a reunion its 'In the spirit of' The Embankment, which means The Embankment's music policy has been put in place. In saying this, I have had eight requests already and I think I may have to drag out Gene Vito - Undiscovered Country! - I can only apologise in advance for this lol

I was a bit apprehensive about this event of Jem's at first, but now it's really picking up momentum and there seems to be a lot of interest in it, I just didn't want to add to the problem of too many venues. Times have changed though - There's now an event in every town and every town has enough people coming out to fill a place, in general this has stopped people travelling, but that's the way it is now.

As it was at The Embankment, there will be a good mixture of 'Damn Good Soul' tunes and I will be doing my underplayed / Midtempo type spot from 8.15 - 9.00 as I always used to back then.

Please note it's an early finish so try and get there early then it won't make any difference...'Early start, early finish'

Some of you can also celebrate a certain Royal wedding on this night - Long live the King!

D.J TIMES

7.30 - 8.15 - JEM (YOUR COMPEER FOR THE EVENING)

8.15 - 9.00 - LEN.

9.00 - 10.00 - THE BANBURY SOUL TWINS (TOM 'n' CHARLIE)

10.00 - 10.45 - DAVE VANNER.

10.45 - 11.45 - CARL FORTNUM.

11.45 - 12.30 - LEN.

See you there.

All the best,

Len.

"You know when the crowd's behind you - Your facing the wrong way!"

SAT JULY 2ND SOUL @ 'THE SNOOKS' RAUNDS DJ'S LEN DOPSON, STEVE SCOTNEY AND GUESTS.

***THIS FANTASTIC NEW VENUE NEEDS TO BE SEEN***

Edited by LEN

Looking forward to this one!

Unfortunately I only learned about The Embankment nights last year, which was clearly too late!!sad.gif

That said, REALLY been enjoying the range of regular nights at The Ark in Higham since you introduced me to this last year Len, and I've met some great people as a result. Anyone reading this who's not been to a night there (or maybe has, but not for a good while)...it's a great night out. thumbsup.gif

If not already on the requests list Len, I'd love to hear that lovely dancer on C.R.S please!thumbsup.gif

Cheers, Steve

hatsoff2.gif

SAT JULY 2ND SOUL @ 'THE SNOOKS' RAUNDS DJ'S LEN DOPSON, STEVE SCOTNEY AND GUESTS.

Edited by 71 Steve
Guest AndyL

Hey also really looking forward to this one . I was out of the scene all the way through Lens Embankment years albeit never stopped trawling the net or purchasing real soul tunes during that time.

On meeting Len at the Alldayer to celebrate Johhny Redpants 50th almost 4 years ago i was horrified to hear what i had missed. I became firm friends with Len from that date and really hope this night is a huge success for him.

The music policy is perfect for me and really cant wait to hear whats on offfer.

Jem this is a wonderful idea of yours to hold tribute nights/ reunions etc at the Ark. It is really refreshing to attend a venue which is different!!!

On the requests front i must ask Len to play the wonderful c/u of Just because as im sure he would have played it at the Embankment!

Im sure it will be a fantastic night . Looking forward to meeting Steve Scotney too who seems to share the same love of the music.

All the Best

Andy

Edited by AndyL

Jem this is a wonderful idea of yours to hold tribute nights/ reunions etc at the Ark. It is really refreshing to attend a venue which is different!!!

On the requests front i must ask Len to play the wonderful c/u of Just because as im sure he would have played it at the Embankment!

All the Best

Andy

Edited by LEN

Great to see people who have spanned the years of the local soul scene , still involved .Andy Luck , Al Pritchard , Tony Parker ...et al. were my mentors back in the early days and being a bit younger and not really "cool enough for school" (nothings changed) . It was great that you guys took the time to answer my dumb questions about the music. Years later I attended. Many of Dave Vanners dos and Lens fantastic nights at the Embankment , which was another important chapter locally. So its a pleasure to be part of nights today, that take time to look back at local past venues like the Embankment and the Rock Foundation.

When you think about it, on the night we should have coming Gibby(Malc Gibbons) who was part of the scene locally back in the sixties , before the term "Northern Soul" was invented, Andy Luck who co promoted the "Rock" in the late 70s, Dave Vanner who put some brill nights in the Rushden area circa late 80s early 90s right up to local new boy Steve Scotney.......and Len of course

:)

Hot off the press!!! early next year holding a night themed as the "Roots of Northern Soul " in Northants ....featuring Gibby, Glen Bellamy and others !!!

Edited by gogopro
Guest AndyL

Thanks for the kind words Jem. Ok so i havent promoted a soul do in years however i do understand and remember well from my stint at the Rock Foundation for 3 years in the 70's running a weekly venue with very few venues around how difficult it must be these days. That said i do enjoy the kind of nights that you put on and Len of course.

It is refreshing to see new people on the scene ie Steve Scotney who have new enthusiasm and energy. Its also good to still see and hear new sounds being introduced.

Jem it was a pleasure helping you to learn the scene years ago with my mate Al Pritchard and Tony Parker. We were lucky in those days to have the likes of the late "Rug" Bowers and Danny Smith who in their own right were fantastic DJ's we also had Phil Attley, Tank ,Nick Ballard and Karl Boddington who were also very knowledgeable "soulies"

Its a shame my best mate and cousin Johnny Warren wont be there as he would have loved this. Needless to say he will be there for the Rock Foundation Reunion night!

On reflection it will be very good to celebrate Lens' In the Spirit of the Embankment" night next Friday so everyone who reads this please support this special night!

At least you wont need a Sat Nave for this Len!!!!! Or will you? ha ha

See you soon

Andy

Edited by AndyL
Guest boddington

Hi Jem, Len, and Andy looking forward to next week at the Ark Higham W.M.C will be posting the flyer up on my Facebook site very soon and not for getting the Rock reunion later on this year.:thumbsup:

Guest landy

Hello soulies its me Landy, I already have a complaint (no not them the cream works ) will you pls stop reminding people how good this night will be cos the regulars already know and they fill the dance floor many more and it will be smooching room only not that there's anything wrong with that but Gibby keeps treading on my toes. Still it WILL BE A GREAT NIGHT. Look forward to seeing you all on Friday

Guest rushden

Have a great night Len & all fortunate to be able to be there . Len you excused re: ''not making the rock '' due to your age '' .The youngest to attend back then was 11 yr old Anthony ( GABBY) Beeby ''can i come in '' we dragged him in ha . Gabby emigrated in 79 to LA and introduced ''NORTHERN SOUL '' to LA at ''THE CRUSH BAR IN HOLLYWOOD '' whose patronage including Rod Stewart , Tom cruise ect ect.

Len glad your playing Gene Vito bet you acquired that through Glen Bellamy! been played lots in Queensland by ex Kettering lad and very accomplished DJ and good lad Kev Core it goes down here like the ''titantic '' ( sinks) no taste .

I also like to thank Jem for putting on the Rock Re- union night on and hope it is as succesful as the ALLDAYER we had a few years back .

best John in Queensland

PS: A great thread and great to hear some names like RUG (R.I.P) & DANNY (R.I.P) mentioned we are the lucky ones able to still go out and get are ''soul fix'' .

I've been out and about all weekend and had lots of attendance promises, so just a reminder to try and get there early if you can.

I'd forgotten to mention Steve Browns efforts with the Arc as he's taking a back seat on this occasion. Normally, Steve is the resident DJ along with Jem and helps out with all the other 'Stuff' - You can relax and enjoy yourself on this night mate!

All the best,

Len.

“You know when the crowd’s behind you - Your facing the wrong way!”

SAT JULY 2ND SOUL @ ‘THE SNOOKS’ RAUNDS DJ’S LEN DOPSON, STEVE SCOTNEY AND GUESTS.

Edited by LEN

The Embankment Club with Len (+ Nina) and ALL the DJ's there over the years was an education for me. A Club with a great atmosphere and music taste to boot.

Missed by so many for so long - A "Spirit of" nite is a great idea. Myself and Charlie will be treating you all to a few classic Embankment 45's as we remember them and some others that would have been played in the years after its demise.

It will be great to see old familiar faces and hopefully some new ones turning up to see what all the fuss is about.

We both feel highly honoured to have been invited to DJ along with Jem, Dave, Carl and Len.

Royalty of a Soulful Thinkin' Man's sort !

Countdown to the Go-Go continues..........................

Cheers.......................

Tom. (Banbury Soul Club).

Getting an interesting thread this, and much respect.

Think it's fair to say there'll be some truly great records played this Friday night & plenty good chat about all the Embankment nights...which I know me and a few others missed, sadly, but what can we do other than be grateful there's still plenty going on locally now & in the future!

Some much needed soul relief and much needed dancin' after all the full English breakfasts / tea / cakes / party food / alcohol that'll be consumed during the day no doubt.

Been a great 6 months or so since I first discovered the regular nights at The Ark. Bit like Jem quoted earlier in this thread (which is history repeating itself I guess), I really appreciate how Johnny Warren, Len, Jem, Steve Brown, Marco & Karl, Phil, Andy Luck + countless others I've met and still to meet at these nights, have each been good enough to take the time to chat about music and the soul scene that was, the people, the history to various records / venues / nights + the different events there are now etc. Sadly also learning some of the bolitics that goes with it all, but unavoidable over time I guess.

Bit "overload" sometimes it's fair to say (you know who you are!), but really grateful that much knowledge is being passed on to peeps like me who've gradually collected and listened to all kinds of soul since teens, but didn't truly appreciate the depth of such amazing music until recent years...Long may this continue and hope others also get to learn about what they've missed but make sure they don't miss nights like this one!

Cheers, Steve hatsoff2.gif

We've always had great nights at Soul events over the years in the Northampton area. Well run clubs, good atmosphere, great people and pivotal to this was Lenny's Embankment Club. Always looked forward to it, really enjoyed the music policy and it always got quite a following from Banbury. So needless to say I'm looking forward to tomorrow night meeting up with old friends, and playing and listening to some 'Embankment' tunes again. I'm sure everyone who attends will have a fantastic night!

Look forward to seeing you all.

Charlie Mc

More importantly Len will I get to see my namesake.

See you for pre- match drinks at 6.30 ish. :hatsoff2:

Tabs,

You saved the day by driving tonight. Great, Charlie and I now get to have a big drink.

The Special Day (yes this one) has arrived, so see you all later.

Really looking forward to it.

Cheers.............. Tom.