Soul Films

• Replies 63
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

:) Hi ALL....At THIS TIME OF DAY 5.50AM, I can't root about the House but a Classic Our Music Film is.....MOTOWN MUSTANG it's a MOTOWN FILM, my copy must be 20 yrs old and is on VHS, I don't no if there is a DVD of it... brief run down of the movie, a car worker in the FORD MOTOR CORP is working the line that builds the FORD MUSTANG, This is the car for him, and he intends to buy it, he even welds his initials on it, and the movie takes you through the years from 1964 to 1970. on the way we see the original MOTOWN STARS SINGING THEIR HITS,, SOUNDS NAFF!!!!! but it ain't, it's a must have classic *****:thumbsup:

CAR WASH is another goo-die along with the BL AX Explosion of films Across 110ST SHAFT, SUPER FLY and so on. ALSO I recommend WATTSTAX the MOVIE filmed in LA district of WATTS, great film of the STAX LEGENDS, and Rufus Thomas in his PINK Shorts. HENDRIX & OTIS at MONTERREY 67 also Santana & HENDRIX at WOODSTOCK,

:thumbsup: LOVE & PEACE and HAPPY EASTER from ANN EGG (Dave K)

Social source share

Guest Dante

looking for a comprehensive list of big screen soul films including concerts - any help would be appreciated, particularly details of those that have never had a UK release .

many thanks

Andy

What exactly do you mean by soul film?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Some clarification is needed.

Are you talking Ray, about Ray Charles type films? Or something like the surfing movie - Blue Juice - that included a decent number of Soul Sourcers dancing to Sam Dees?

Social source share

Hi Andy

Below is a link to a list of Blaxploitation films from in the main the 70s. Political correctness aside some fabulous music in there and plenty of cameos from soul artists. Having watched a great many some are pretty hard going!

LINK HERE

Love these films mate.. Plenty there i know nothing about, would like to see..

" Black Fist " 1975 :thumbsup: ,... Anyone see it??? sounds the business..

Coast to Coast, never seen this but heard its got Lenny Henry in it??? is there a dvd of this film ??? would like to see it..

Social source share

Cost to Coast hasn't been available for years (think there's a post about this on SS somewhere) but it is a great uk film... Blues Brothers still cuts it for me just to see the cameos of Aretha, Ray, Duck Dunn Steve Cropper etc.

Havent seen Black Fist but I enjoyed Cotton Comes To Harlem as I'm a fan of Chester Himes literature. He also wrote A Rage In Harlem later made into a film. The maddest one I've seen is Sun Ra's Space Is The Place... bizarre to say the least... I think a lot are now available on DVD or at least they were. Used to have fun digging at car boots and finding old VHS tapes.. The Spook That Sat By The Door was one I found - terrible film but great soundtrack by Herbie Hancock!

Social source share

the Holy Grail is the "Its your Thing Movie".......

a bit more info on this film....

Released in 1970 from a Charity concert at Yankee Stadium in 69...a live double LP was issued on T-Neck featuring some of the performances ( i particularly like the Brooklyn Bridge Impressions medley...but as a Johnny Maestro fan i'm biased)...attached a scan of the film poster and lp cover..it never has made it to tape/dvd....

Isley Bros

Patty Austin

Brooklyn Bridge

Edwin Hawkins Singers

Jackie "Moms" Mabley

Five Stairsteps + Cubie

Ike +Tina Turner Revue

Clara Ward Singers

Judy White

Winstons

Young Gents

the film was 2 hours long......

post-1770-0-67745900-1303454828_thumb.jp

post-1770-0-59546300-1303454873_thumb.jp

post-1770-0-64074600-1303454898_thumb.jp

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hi ALL....At THIS TIME OF DAY 5.50AM, I can't root about the House but a Classic Our Music Film is.....MOTOWN MUSTANG it's a MOTOWN FILM, my copy must be 20 yrs old and is on VHS, I don't no if there is a DVD of it... brief run down of the movie, a car worker in the FORD MOTOR CORP is working the line that builds the FORD MUSTANG, This is the car for him, and he intends to buy it, he even welds his initials on it, and the movie takes you through the years from 1964 to 1970. on the way we see the original MOTOWN STARS SINGING THEIR HITS,, SOUNDS NAFF!!!!! but it ain't, it's a must have classic *****:lol:

CAR WASH is another goo-die along with the BL AX Explosion of films Across 110ST SHAFT, SUPER FLY and so on. ALSO I recommend WATTSTAX the MOVIE filmed in LA district of WATTS, great film of the STAX LEGENDS, and Rufus Thomas in his PINK Shorts. HENDRIX & OTIS at MONTERREY 67 also Santana & HENDRIX at WOODSTOCK,

:lol: LOVE & PEACE and HAPPY EASTER from ANN EGG (Dave K)

this sounds intreresting any one got anymore info on this......p.s. HAPPY EASTER :lol:

Social source share

a bit more info on this film....

Released in 1970 from a Charity concert at Yankee Stadium in 69...a live double LP was issued on T-Neck featuring some of the performances ( i particularly like the Brooklyn Bridge Impressions medley...but as a Johnny Maestro fan i'm biased)...attached a scan of the film poster and lp cover..it never has made it to tape/dvd....

Isley Bros

Patty Austin

Brooklyn Bridge

Edwin Hawkins Singers

Jackie "Moms" Mabley

Five Stairsteps + Cubie

Ike +Tina Turner Revue

Clara Ward Singers

Judy White

Winstons

Young Gents

the film was 2 hours long......

is this floating around at all on bootleg DVD / video or does anyone have it? I just searched iOffer and didn't find a copy. I would love to see this.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

On TV back in the early eighties there was some kind of "play for today" which featured northern soul and I do recall that it had Julie Shipley in it .

It was about various people who work in the indutrial north looking forward to a weekend soul nite, it was fiction not a doc'..

Sorry, I don't remember the title of it.

Not much help this post is it!

Social source share

cheers Rich :thumbsup:

anyone seen 'Black Joy' a 1977 film (i think) . Whats it like ?

I remember going to see it when it was released. From memory it's more of a jamaican coming of age film (Ie straight off the boat from Jamaica and how he gets on in London, and of course he ultimately triumphs in the end.) Jimmy Cliff did a lot of the music I think.

Social source share

I remember going to see it when it was released. From memory it's more of a jamaican coming of age film (Ie straight off the boat from Jamaica and how he gets on in London, and of course he ultimately triumphs in the end.) Jimmy Cliff did a lot of the music I think.

There is a lp of the film, red cover came out on k-tel i think got one somewhere in me trash ph34r.gif

Social source share

On TV back in the early eighties there was some kind of "play for today" which featured northern soul and I do recall that it had Julie Shipley in it .

It was about various people who work in the indutrial north looking forward to a weekend soul nite, it was fiction not a doc'..

I have got this on DVD somewhere.It's the woman out of Shameless who went out with Frank Gallagher and the bloke who was Gail Tilsleys boyfriend (the plumber who was addicted to pills).Its set around a northern soul club with some great dancing footage and a soundtrack of UK Grapevine 45's. From 78-79 I think.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The Temptations was a 4 hour mini series but is being repeated at the moment on the true channel as part 1 and part 2, their web site is https://www.trutv.com/index.html if you contact them they will let you know when they are going to show it again.

I picked this up on DVD ina charity shop for 50p. Well worth a watch. I seem to remember that it was for sale on Amazon in the £2 - £3 range. :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Many, many thanks for all the posts

A list of all the recommended films has been forwarded to the Arts Cinema in York - The City Screen . They are currently checking availability for a Soul film feature day on Sat 10 Sept 2011 .

As soon as i have more info will post details

Andy

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Just been a few posts about this on "Northern on T.V. programmes" on "all about the soul" forum. It was called "Out on the floor tonight" and is available on DVD. All the best, Barry. KGB, KTF.

Social source share

Was going through some bits on You tube the other day and found this clip from a 1987 film called "The In Crowd" of Tina Britt The Real thing. Think it is a kind of Jerry Blavat type teen dance theme.

I believe it has a great soul soundtrack with The Contours appearing live etc. Has anyone seen this film as I would love to watch it in full if its any good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKcfJFxG-k

Edited by craig W
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

jimmy helms released a single in 77 called black joy

Social source share

..some years ago, i worked with the producer of 'coast to coast'..i asked him for some advice on music licensing as i had written a northern soul screenplay..he told me the reason CTC has never been seen again is that they only licensed the music for a year i think, just enough to complete filming and to screen it..they hadn't taken out any further options.and he said because of that it could never be shown again..pity cos it was pretty good and quite funny..it only featured music however , no live performance..and the propmaster got the original 45's and posters from..Dave raistrick..

Social source share

post-1986-0-41772900-1305238646_thumb.jp

Jimmy Helms -Black Joy

Labelle -Lady Marmalade

Moments & Whatnauts -Girls

Drifters, The -Saturday Night At The Movies

Johnny Nash -Tears On My Pillow

Shirley & Company -Shame, Shame, Shame

Real Thing, The -Dance With Me

Three Degrees, The -When Will I See You Again

Cimarons, The -Living On The Dole

Billy Paul -Me & Mrs. Jones

Spinners -The Rubber Band Man

Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes -Don't Leave Me This Way

Gladys Knight And The Pips -Midnight Train To Georgia

O'Jays, The -Darlin' Darlin' Baby

Biddu Orchestra -Summer Of '42

Real Thing, The -Lightning Strikes Again

Aretha Franklin -I Say A Little Prayer

Bill Fredericks -Love With You

Ben E. King -Stand By Me

Lee Vanderbilt -Lonely I

Linda Lewis -It's In His Kiss

Cimarons, The -Black Joy

Social source share

post-1986-0-41772900-1305238646_thumb.jp

Jimmy Helms –Black Joy

Labelle –Lady Marmalade

Moments & Whatnauts –Girls

Drifters, The –Saturday Night At The Movies

Johnny Nash –Tears On My Pillow

Shirley & Company –Shame, Shame, Shame

Real Thing, The –Dance With Me

Three Degrees, The –When Will I See You Again

Cimarons, The –Living On The Dole

Billy Paul –Me & Mrs. Jones

Spinners –The Rubber Band Man

Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes –Don't Leave Me This Way

Gladys Knight And The Pips –Midnight Train To Georgia

O'Jays, The –Darlin' Darlin' Baby

Biddu Orchestra –Summer Of '42

Real Thing, The –Lightning Strikes Again

Aretha Franklin –I Say A Little Prayer

Bill Fredericks –Love With You

Ben E. King –Stand By Me

Lee Vanderbilt –Lonely I

Linda Lewis –It's In His Kiss

Cimarons, The –Black Joy

If I remember correctly Ken - and hopefully you will confirm - that the length of the tracks on the above release and other similar orientated compilations by K-Tel , were shortened in length : done , I imagine in order to get more on , and therefore give value for money .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

220px-WDFFinLMoviePoster.jpg

HOpefully not top far off the thread.

This is (imho) one of the most entertaining and "soulful" movies I've seen with pathos and humour in abundance. Ok possibly more doo wop than soul but Frankie's later years show the struggle he had trying to reinvent himself for the 60's.

The characters are believable and the film suffers from non of the blaxpoitation of earlier 'race' movies.

If you ain't seen it give it a go if just for the the Little Richard character Miguel A. Nuncey Jr. Or the great man himself who features throughout. *****

Social source share

If I remember correctly Ken - and hopefully you will confirm - that the length of the tracks on the above release and other similar orientated compilations by K-Tel , were shortened in length : done , I imagine in order to get more on , and therefore give value for money .

Malc

I cant Malc, the one pictured is off discogs..................mine is in hiding biggrin.gif it's on Ronco by the way.

Social source share

Best sound track for me is the prequel to Carlitos Way.

Film should be easy to find but I tried and failed to get a track listing.

Mucho latin and boogaloo, top movie, love it, you can get it in a box with both rise to power and the origianl carlito's.

Social source share

I cant Malc, the one pictured is off discogs..................mine is in hiding biggrin.gifit's on Ronco by the way.

I knew that Ken ...... I did not want to appear a clever dickie :lol:

At the time of my earlier posting , I could not recall what the title of the K-Tel release was : it came to me whilst shopping in Tesco this morning :lol: : it was called " Super Bad " , and the compiler of the album shortened the running time of the 24 tracks in order to get them on the album .

A1 Joe Simon – Step By Step

A2 Isley Brothers,–That Lady

A3 Robert Knight – Love On A Mountain Top

A4 Sly & The Family Stone –If You Want Me To Stay

A5 Millie Jackson – It Hurts So Good

A6 Don Downing – Lonely Days Lonely Nights

A7 Pointer Sisters – Yes We Can Can

A8 New York City – I'm Doin' Fine Now

A9 Three Degrees, The – Dirty Ol' Man

A10 Ronnie Dyson – When You Get Right Down To It

A11 O'Jays, The – Back Stabbers

A12 Barry White – I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby

B1 Four Tops & Supremes, Reach Out And Touch (Somebody's Hand)

B2 Billy Preston –Will It Go Round In Circles

B3 Marvin Gaye –What's Going On

B4 Stevie Wonder – Superwoman

B5 Cymande – The Message

B6 Timmy Thomas – Why Can't We Live Together?

B7 Aretha Franklin – Mocking Bird

B8 Intruders, The – I'll Always Love My Mama

B9 Brenda & The Tabulations – One Girl Too Late

B10 Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes –If You Don't Know Me By Now

B11 Gladys Knight And The Pips – Midnight Train To Georgia

B12 Curtis Mayfield – Move On Up

Malc

post-5097-0-57835600-1305294575_thumb.jp

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Was going through some bits on You tube the other day and found this clip from a 1987 film called "The In Crowd" of Tina Britt The Real thing. Think it is a kind of Jerry Blavat type teen dance theme.

I believe it has a great soul soundtrack with The Contours appearing live etc. Has anyone seen this film as I would love to watch it in full if its any good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKcfJFxG-k

Must have been smashed that night. I dont remember the TV cameras at Hinckley :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Just heard the City Screen City (York) will be showing the Funk Bros story 'standing in the shadows of motown' on Sat 10th Sept , during the day and early evening . Part of a 'york soul day' at the venue , The Waterfront Blues N Soul Club will then be hosting an evening event (with late bar til 2am ) Guest DJs will be Andy Lewis (Acid Jazz/Paul Wellers bass player) and euro DJ Raphi 'Scorcher' (Lava Records) from Brussels plus residents .

more info www.therewasatime.co.uk

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert