Anyone Got This Version?

• Replies 34
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I agree Pete.

Besides, if you want to listen to the vocal, just flip it over.

No what I mean is, I think "If it's all the same to you babe" is just a very average track and a waste of vinyl but the instrumental version, Exus Trek, is one of the all time greats. People who got into the scene in the 80's tend to see it the other way round as that's when the vocal was played.

Social source share

No what I mean is, I think "If it's all the same to you babe" is just a very average track and a waste of vinyl but the instrumental version, Exus Trek, is one of the all time greats. People who got into the scene in the 80's tend to see it the other way round as that's when the vocal was played.

Errr . . . . yes, I now see what you meant now. :thumbup:

Anyhow, I agree with you when you say that Exus Trek is one of THE all time great instrumentals and is the fist one I'd pick out of my box to dispell the notion forwarded by some that instrumentals have no 'Soul'. This one oozes Northern Soul.

Right . . . back to my R&B records. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Pete, I got into the scene in '72 but have to disagree with you in a way. Vocal and intrumental are two seperate tracks, the instrumental isn't ruined at all, it is still the instrumental for anyone that prefers it or wants to play it. I think both tracks are fantastic NS records. The instrumental was at the time it was big, and still is I suppose, a mind blowing "hit the dancefloor" record. The vocal is also IMO a mindblowing "hit the dancefloor" record. I just take the two as seperate. but have a preference for the vocal. I've often seen folks dancing to the instrumental and see there mouths moving singing the lyrics to themselves.

As I say, I think they're both great tracks but what I don't get from the instrumental is ---

I confess, I'm in distress

Loneliness is getting me down

My heart will break, for heaven's sake

Please keep me around

Got to have your sweet, sweet charm

Take me in your loving arms

I need ya, I want ya baby, got to have ya

I can't take these heartaches, I know I'm gonna lose my mind

Understand I'm a lonely man, and I need you all the time

To be loved is my only destination

And you are my only inspiration

I'm like a lost helpless child, without your love I'll never smile

I can't help myself, I can't love no-one else

Couldn't be arsed to keep writing the chorus line ----------- by the way this line is not in the song :thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Pete, I got into the scene in '72 but have to disagree with you in a way. Vocal and intrumental are two seperate tracks, the instrumental isn't ruined at all, it is still the instrumental for anyone that prefers it or wants to play it. I think both tracks are fantastic NS records. The instrumental was at the time it was big, and still is I suppose, a mind blowing "hit the dancefloor" record. The vocal is also IMO a mindblowing "hit the dancefloor" record. I just take the two as seperate. but have a preference for the vocal. I've often seen folks dancing to the instrumental and see there mouths moving singing the lyrics to themselves.

As I say, I think they're both great tracks but what I don't get from the instrumental is ---

I confess, I'm in distress

Loneliness is getting me down

My heart will break, for heaven's sake

Please keep me around

Got to have your sweet, sweet charm

Take me in your loving arms

I can't take these heartaches, I know I'm gonna lose my mind

Understand I'm a lonely man, and I need you all the time

To be loved is my only destination

And you are my only inspiration

I'm like a lost helpless child, without your love I'll never smile

I can't help myself, I can't love no-one else

Couldn't be arsed to keep writing the chorus line ----------- by the way this line is not in the song :thumbsup:

It still ruins a good instrumental :thumbup:

Social source share

I've always thought this was one of the greatest instrumentals ever and it's ruined by a vocal!

Not only one the greatest instrumentals, but one of the greatest NORTHERN SOUL records of all time, one of the reasons I was blown away the music when I first entered The Pendulum in '72.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Heheh!! Love your comments, and I agree with them all.

Being into the scene from the late 60s, the instrumental was the first version I heard, and loved it then, and still do. I love the vocal version too, but was never as keen on it as the instrumental, but only because the instrumental was by the time the vocal showed it's face, already a classic and was known and loved by most.

Both instrumental and vocal versions have an amazing feel and atmosphere about them and are both true Northern Soul records as they should be.

But on to the version above,

Yes Grant, you were partly right. This is a fusion of both versions, but not done on 'Cool aid'? Never heard of that one.

It's just something I love doing in my spare time. I love to hear the conversations they spark off, they are always very interesting.

Thanks for the comments good and bad.

Steve

Social source share

==============================================================================

Did Mr Wylie ever clarify where the title 'Exus Trek' came from and what it means/is supposed to mean? If you 'google' the term you don't find any reference on the 'latin translation' sites and similar as to a meaning.....:thumbup:.....I do know what 'anorak' means though....... I always wear one when I'm train-spotting....:thumbsup:

For some strange reason, the title always reminds me of Space? Maybe because of 'Star Trek'? Dunno! I'd love to know that 'Exus' means though.
Social source share

For some strange reason, the title always reminds me of Space? Maybe because of 'Star Trek'? Dunno! I'd love to know that 'Exus' means though.

Just checked on Google as you suggested and apparently no meaning? Not even as an acronym. Must have been something that Luthor or Richard made up. Top word though, should have a meaning really. Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Just checked on Google as you suggested and apparently no meaning? Not even as an acronym. Must have been something that Luthor or Richard made up. Top word though, should have a meaning really.

Some kind of play on "Exodus" maybe?

Social source share

I've always thought this was one of the greatest instrumentals ever and it's ruined by a vocal!

Absolutely!!!!........those shivers down the spine are still as strong 40 years after 1st hearing what is a total masterpiece :hypo::lol:

Its a very good mix I have to say, I did this a few years back using Nero:

:thumbsup:

:thumbup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

A quick look online shows that the word Exus can have meaning in Latin. Here it can be translated as burn down or set on fire. Google Translate suggests hath burnt.

Digging a little deeper provides a link that connects Exus (in Portuguese) with the Orisha, an elemental spirit of the Yoruba people's of West Africa. The indigenous Yoruba religion is practised wherever West Africans have settled in the world, but particularly in South America, Brazil, Cuba, the Caribbean - all places that would have seen a major influx of Yoruba beliefs courtesy of that thing called slavery.

Of course, the national language of Brazil is Portuguese and so it would be natural for the language of slaves to morph into the prevalent tongue. Brazil, and other countries in Sth America played an important role in the slave trade, and many of those poor souls who found themselves as chattel in this part of the world ended up in forced migrations to North America.

Perhaps there is a distant association, one that crossed the Atlantic centuries ago with the African tribes people who were sold into slavery, that links the trek of the Exus with the journey of the spirit God Orisha.

Then again, perhaps not!

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Do you want to borrow my anorak!!!!!!!!:no::lol: :lol:

Think he's beyond that mate! :lol::yes::thumbup:

Hold on, I haven't finished yet! rolleyes.gif

The Orisha (the spirit God) can manifest itself in many ways and each form is given a different name by worshippers. One of these names - and our linguistic connection to Exus - is Eshu (in Portuguese - Exu). Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Eshu/Exu:

Wikipedia says: Eshu (Also known as Eleggua, Exú, Esu, Elegba, Legbara, Papa Legba) is the messenger between the human and divine worlds, Undergod of duality, crossroads and beginnings, and also a phallic and fertility Undergod (an Embodiment of Life) and the deliverer of souls to the underworld (an Embodiment of Death).

So, the track could possibly relate to the journey that the spirit God Exu embarks upon when taking the souls of the dearly departed to heaven or hell (Exu's Trek).

Of course, you are marked down for heaven or hell depending on whether you prefer the instrumental version over the vocal one or vice-versa. biggrin.gif

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Hold on, I haven't finished yet! rolleyes.gif

The Orisha (the spirit God) can manifest itself in many ways and each form is given a different name by worshippers. One of these names - and our linguistic connection to Exus - is Eshu (in Portuguese - Exu). Here's what Wikipedia has to say about Eshu/Exu:

So, the track could possibly relate to the journey that the spirit God Exu embarks upon when taking the souls of the dearly departed to heaven or hell (Exu's Trek).

Of course, you are marked down for heaven or hell depending on whether you prefer the instrumental version over the vocal one or vice-versa. biggrin.gif

LOL!! tooooo much information! Thanks all the same :no:

Social source share

A quick look online shows that the word Exus can have meaning in Latin. Here it can be translated as burn down or set on fire. Google Translate suggests hath burnt.

Digging a little deeper provides a link that connects Exus (in Portuguese) with the Orisha, an elemental spirit of the Yoruba people's of West Africa. The indigenous Yoruba religion is practised wherever West Africans have settled in the world, but particularly in South America, Brazil, Cuba, the Caribbean - all places that would have seen a major influx of Yoruba beliefs courtesy of that thing called slavery.

Of course, the national language of Brazil is Portuguese and so it would be natural for the language of slaves to morph into the prevalent tongue. Brazil, and other countries in Sth America played an important role in the slave trade, and many of those poor souls who found themselves as chattel in this part of the world ended up in forced migrations to North America.

Perhaps there is a distant association, one that crossed the Atlantic centuries ago with the African tribes people who were sold into slavery, that links the trek of the Exus with the journey of the spirit God Orisha.

Then again, perhaps not!

you need to get out more :thumbsup::lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Heard the instrumental first in the mid 70's and was the most played out, but also heard the vocal on the odd occasion, but where?

After all these years of liking, but never really raving over the vocal. Shifty playing it one night at either the 100 club, or Cleethorpes blew me away. One of those times when you can hear every word, every note crystal clear, and knew i just had to have the record. The vocal is an awesome all-time Northern classic.

But did any of you ever hear it on 'world of sport' BBC one Saturday?

About 12ish the usual Saturday morning came on, then as a backdrop the gigi's jumping the fences and boxers sparring, they used the instrumental.

Yes. About the time that they first started using all these soul tracks for ads, the very early days. And of course when BBC still had it's Sat. morning/ afternoon show before Sky became prevailant.

Social source share

I'm sure there has been a thread on here some years go about where the title Exus Trek originated. So, somebody with better skills than me for searching / tracking back through old, perhaps archived threads, could root it out for us all? :yes:

Not that I didn't appreciate the research conducted and put forward by rigilbert. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!