Northern On Tv Programmes

Just thought I'd start a thread on the Northern tunes that have been played on TV programmes.

I know a lot are used on ad's, but it's actual programmes, soaps etc. that I'm aiming at.

My first memory was in the late 70s early 80s on Coronation street, one of the cast was in her

bedroom (I think a Barlow relative) and she was playing 'Marvin Gaye - Little darling' while

she was getting ready to go out.

Any more examples?

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest toffee lady

'CLOCKING OFF' , A FEW YEARS AGO, ON ONE OF THE EPISODES HAD A SCENE WHERE THEY 'WENT TO A NORTHEN SOUL NIGHT' IT WAS FILMED AT THE RITZ MANCHESTER AND HAD A FEW MEMBERS ON HERE AS EXTRAS DANCING IN THE BACKGROUND

JANETTE X

Social source share

no angels tv series lots of northern

kim

There were two CDs released bearing the name of the TV series , as to whether the tracks were actually featured in the programmes is debatable / doubtful .

I have not been able to find the listing for the first CD , but the tracks on the second one were as follows -

1. Shoorah! Shoorah! - Betty Wright

2. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me - Gladys Knight & The Pips

3. Second That Emotion - Barbara Mcnair

4. Can I Get A Witness - Barbara Randolph

5. In The Basement - Etta James

6. Show Me - Patti Drew

7. Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing Baby - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell

8. Can't Let You Go - Sugar Pie De Santo

9. Nothing But A Heartache - The Flirtations

10. Girls Are Out To Get You - Fascinations

11. End Of Our Love - Nancy Wilson

12. I Had A Talk With My Man - Mitty Collier

13. Good Time Tonight - The Soul Sisters

14. Everybody's Going To The Love Inn - Bob Brady & The Concordes

15. Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright

16. Have A Little Mercy - Ann Sexton

17. I Never Loved A Man - Aretha Franklin

18. Save Me - Nina Simone

19. Everything Is Gonna Be Alright - PP Arnold

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

my other half watches a channel called create and craft, there is a repeated bit where some bloke talks about what the channel offers or something, anyway the music in the background when hes talking is an obvious northern instrumental of the tailor made style, anyone heard it

That sounds like it could be the same instrumental that is currently being played on some advert, can't remember but think it might be for clothing?

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

Was watching match of the day 2 last week. They did an article on the previous days derby between Blackpool and Wigan, the background music? Archie Bell - There's gonna be a showdown. Top tune. Barry, KGB, KTF.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest welshruss

There,s one on every morning - Monday to Friday - on the BBC about 10ish (house renovation or something like that,not sure)..Some of the music on that is superb..

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Just thought I'd start a thread on the Northern tunes that have been played on TV programmes.

I know a lot are used on ad's, but it's actual programmes, soaps etc. that I'm aiming at.

My first memory was in the late 70s early 80s on Coronation street, one of the cast was in her

bedroom (I think a Barlow relative) and she was playing 'Marvin Gaye - Little darling' while

she was getting ready to go out.

Any more examples?

Remember one Sunday night when at a pool match they'd got the tv on, 'Heartbeat', 2009 i think? And to my suprise we had all obscure Northern tracks on, Lilian Dupree "Hide & seek" and Rose Batiste (Debonaires) "Hit & run". Forgot what else, but they were all of the same ilk.

The episode itself was called "Hit & run" and was about a guy on the run from the cops, and it was used as the backing to one scene in particular when Nick Berry & Co were persuing him to an old mill.

Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

Does anyone remember, early 80s one of the BBC's "Play for Today" episodes featuring a short play called "Out on the floor tonight". Remember it being really good (as were a lot of the PFT series). Love to see it again

Social source share

Does anyone remember, early 80s one of the BBC's "Play for Today" episodes featuring a short play called "Out on the floor tonight". Remember it being really good (as were a lot of the PFT series). Love to see it again

I have just viewed the " PFT " internet link , and sadly , there is no mention of " OOTFT " in the episode listing .

With you stating it was a " short " play , I wonder if it was screened under another heading than " PFT " , as screenings in the " PFT " series were usually an hour or more in length .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Alfa166

I remember that play being aired very well. It was shown in 1980. The reason i remember it so well is because i was determined to make sure my parents didnt see it in case they stopped me going Wigan and Niters :yes: That would be good to see again, i would even let my Mum watch it this time :-)

Cheers

Alfie

Edited by Alfa166
Social source share

Remember one Sunday night when at a pool match they'd got the tv on, 'Heartbeat', 2009 i think? And to my suprise we had all obscure Northern tracks on, Lilian Dupree "Hide & seek" and Rose Batiste (Debonaires) "Hit & run". Forgot what else, but they were all of the same ilk.

The episode itself was called "Hit & run" and was about a guy on the run from the cops, and it was used as the backing to one scene in particular when Nick Berry & Co were persuing him to an old mill.

i also remember this episode it was ages ago and was on itv sunday night...

Social source share

Guest Barry Holland

I've seen this quite recently, perhaps last year to 18 months back. I must have seen it on one of those compilation DVD's. Someone has copied a few old soul related programmes and put them onto DVD. Might be worth checking out the stalls at weekenders or big all-niters that sell DVD's and c.d.'s.

My memory of it is watching it in the local pub, I thought about '82ish. Sat in the corner on my own with all the mates extracting the urine, as I was the "only soulie in the village" (LOL).

My other memory was the write-up in Black Echoes at the time, which wasn't very complimentary, saying it wasn't a great comparison to Wigan (ring any bells re: SoulBoy), but it concentrated more on the relationships between the characters. I do remember it having quite a good playlist, but the only tune I remember being in it was Stanley Woodruff "what took you so long".

All the best, Barry, KGB, KTF.

P.S. I think you're right Malc, as I remember it being on for about an hour, but I can't remember what I did last week (LOL).

Edited by Barry Holland
Social source share

Guest Byrney

Yeah, I think it was 82 as Wigan had recently shut. I remember it not being too good, even then - but that's about all I can remember.

I'd watch it again though if anyone has it :hatsoff2:

Nice choice of trainer BTW Trimm Trab

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest TrimmTrab

I could have sworn it was Play for Today but obviously not. I remember it being pretty good but then it was a long time ago, it was about 2 couples wasn't it and one of 'em gets nicked for gear at the end or something.

Records that I remember (again, I think) were Flame N King and Carol Anderson

And it was way better than that daft Soul Boy film!!

Edited by TrimmTrab
Social source share

I could have sworn it was Play for Today but obviously not. I remember it being pretty good but then it was a long time ago, it was about 2 couples wasn't it and one of 'em gets nicked for gear at the end or something.

Records that I remember (again, I think) were Flame N King and Carol Anderson

And it was way better than that daft Soul Boy film!!

Yes it was me that added Out On The Floor onto a DVD I did, the third volume of Northern Soul on DVD, I've still got the master if anyone wants a copy. Second thoughts, forget that, last time I did a giveaway I had to do 40 copies of the Coast To Coast film and it cost me a fortune. Mr Trab, if you want a copy, PM me your address.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert