The Orwell - Friday 28th October

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

A 'Missing Yarmouth' Special

FRIDAY 28th OCTOBER 2005

DJ's - STEVE PLUMB, FLANNY, STEVE CONNOR & BARRY MALEADY

GUEST DJ's - SOUL SAM & BOB COSBY

We once again celebrate what would normally have been the Yarmouth October weekender by inviting two key Yarmouth DJ's to ' The Home of Soul' in Soul Sam & Bob Cosby.

Playing Yarmouth classics, 60's/70's Crossover, connossieurs Northern & 70's/80's Modern Soul (and maybe the odd new thing thrown in if time allows!)

9 p.m. to 2 a.m. with late late bar (it could be on even later, watch this space!)

£5 entrance

PM me if you need details on b&b, hotels etc if you're planning to stay over and also for directions etc etc

Cheers

Steve Plumb

• Replies 41
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Gavin Page

THE ORWELL

Wigan Pier, Wigan

A 'Missing Yarmouth' Special

FRIDAY 28th OCTOBER 2005

DJ's - STEVE PLUMB, FLANNY, STEVE CONNOR & BARRY MALEADY

GUEST DJ's - SOUL SAM & BOB COSBY

We once again celebrate what would normally have been the Yarmouth October weekender by inviting two key Yarmouth DJ's to ' The Home of Soul' in Soul Sam & Bob Cosby.

Playing Yarmouth classics, 60's/70's Crossover, connossieurs Northern & 70's/80's Modern Soul (and maybe the odd new thing thrown in if time allows!)

9 p.m. to 2 a.m. with late late bar (it could be on even later, watch this space!)

£5 entrance

PM me if you need details on b&b, hotels etc if you're planning to stay over and also for directions etc etc

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Good Luck !!

Guest Gavin Page

Cheers Gav

Are you coming up to hold Bobby's hand and to tell him what to play? :thumbsup:

See you soon mate

Steve

Wigan On A Cold October Night. Mmmmm think not mate stick with playing in London me thinks :rolleyes:

post-3670-1129060098_thumb.jpg

Guest Johnny One Trout

Hope to see you down there Rob as we've had a good response from people who are travelling up/down for the night.

I'll post a list of local hotels/B&B's for everyone when i get a mo'

Cheers

Steve

We shall be there as well Stephen :P

Jus bin listening to Flanny on Mark Bicknels Solar radio show. Does that lad ever stop buying records? Gonna mither him to deeth to play C. Coulter nice and loud on Friday. First time I heard that was at Yarmouth, what a awesome tune.

Dont forget...........This Friday

The Orwell meets Yarmouth this coming Friday 28th October.

Bob Cosby, Soul Sam Steve Plumb, Steve Connor Brian 'Flanny' Flanders

The Orwell Wigan Pier Wigan 9pm till 2am bar till 1.30

more details at stevep@itlnet.com for info and updates

Jus bin listening to Flanny on Mark Bicknels Solar radio show. Does that lad ever stop buying records? Gonna mither him to deeth to play C. Coulter nice and loud on Friday. First time I heard that was at Yarmouth, what a awesome tune.

Hey Barry

Did you get a track listing off Brian for his spot on Mark's show?

PLMK

Steve

Hey Barry

Did you get a track listing off Brian for his spot on Mark's show?

PLMK

Steve

Sorry Matey, not yet must be the strain of lugging all the lovely vinyl up to Mark B's gaff has tuckered the poor lad out.

I do remember hearing the following

Diffrences - 5 minutes

Ralph Soul Jackson Set me Free

Del Larks Job Opening (handled with extreme care by Mr Bicknell)

Anything Everything I Won't Have No More Babies For You

Sammy Lee What Goes Around

Ascots Few Feet From The Gutter

Cant think of any more, come Flanny post up matey

Guest Gavin Page

Sorry Matey, not yet must be the strain of lugging all the lovely vinyl up to Mark B's gaff has tuckered the poor lad out.

I do remember hearing the following

Diffrences - 5 minutes

Ralph Soul Jackson Set me Free

Del Larks Job Opening (handled with extreme care by Mr Bicknell)

Anything Everything I Won't Have No More Babies For You

Sammy Lee What Goes Around

Ascots Few Feet From The Gutter

Cant think of any more, come Flanny post up matey

Baz, Anything Everything, whats that then ?

Hee Hee

I knew I was gettin' that wrong as I was typing it but just couldn't be arsed to check. Well spotted though Gav.

Just thought of a few more thinking man's (and woman's) Northern tracks that Brian played

Timothy TJ Willams Baby I Need You

Clovers Try My Lovin On You

and Benny Harper My Prayer

I knew I was gettin' that wrong as I was typing it but just couldn't be arsed to check. Well spotted though Gav.

Just thought of a few more thinking man's (and woman's) Northern tracks that Brian played

Timothy TJ Willams Baby I Need You

Clovers Try My Lovin On You

and Benny Harper My Prayer

Just thinking about 'Missing' Yarmouth and some of the tunes which have come from those fantastic weekends down there. Here are some of my more 'Modern' faves but I know some of you will have memories of hearing (and playing) some quality crossover down there. Let us know what they are and hopefully Bob, Sam, Steve Brian and Steve will be spinning a few of them on Friday.

Here's just a few of the tunes that remind me of what is probably one of best events in the soul callendar

Sam Dees Touch Me With Your Love

Lavelle White About The Facts of Life

Phil Perry One Touch

Jesse Graham When I think of My Baby

Melvin Brown Love Stormy Weather

Tommy Tate If You're Gonna Love Somebody

Guest Gavin Page

Just thinking about 'Missing' Yarmouth and some of the tunes which have come from those fantastic weekends down there. Here are some of my more 'Modern' faves but I know some of you will have memories of hearing (and playing) some quality crossover down there. Let us know what they are and hopefully Bob, Sam, Steve Brian and Steve will be spinning a few of them on Friday.

Here's just a few of the tunes that remind me of what is probably one of best events in the soul callendar

Sam Dees Touch Me With Your Love

Lavelle White About The Facts of Life

Phil Perry One Touch

Jesse Graham When I think of My Baby

Melvin Brown Love Stormy Weather

Tommy Tate If You're Gonna Love Somebody

Will put me thinking mans flat cap on about the above, and be back latter.

However flyers/booking forms for April are at the printers should be on the streets from next week.

Baz. Thank you for your kind words about the event mate.

Anybody that cant wait for them see da link !

Will put me thinking mans flat cap on about the above, and be back latter.

However flyers/booking forms for April are at the printers should be on the streets from next week.

Baz. Thank you for your kind words about the event mate.

Anybody that cant wait for them see da link !

Gavin you cant remember wot you had for your tea last night sober so wot chance ave you got rememering the last 15 years pissed up :shhh::D Flanny

hope to see some of your guys down at the Orwell on friday

SOME OF MY MEMORIES FROM THE RAYNSCOURT

CORY GLOVER LITTLE GIRL

JIMMY BO HORNE I CANT SPEAK

SEX ITS YOU BABY ITS YOU

MOSES SMITH KEEP ON STRIVING

GEORGE JACKSON I DONT HAVE THE TIME TO LOVE YOU

PLUS 1000.S OF OTHERS INC THE TYMES MISS GRACE AND HUES CORPORATION ROCK THE BOAT COME BACK ROD :P

Best Flanny

got last 45 mins recorded, can post up in radio in sounds if anyone missed and wanna hear it

just shout

Hi Mike Is this Flannys set on Mark Bicknels show, showcasing his Orwell tunes?

The Orwell - This Friday 28th October

A 'missing Yarmouth' special with guest DJ's

BOB COSBY & SOUL SAM

Gavin wrote; Will put me thinking mans flat cap on about the above, and be back latter.

Come on Gavin, I was counting on you to jog my memory. Looking forward to tomorrow night, looks like Brian has hit the spot with his selections would be nice to get the perspective from one on the Yarmouth 'Main Men' though.

When you comin' up 't' north doin' a bit with us?

Guest Gavin Page

Gent's

At night out in Wigan with you lot sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to come and join you. All you have to do is ask. Will I have to play side to side music or is up and down stuff alowed these days?

Baz

Not seen ya since the stag doo in London, hope you are well ?

Yarmuff

Now as Brian has said, memory not all that it should be these day's. It is so bloody hard to namr anything just so much over the last 13 years it is unreal.

Sy Hightower,Tommy Tate,Geroge Jackson,Jerry Warren, and so on and so on.

The high light for me, is just the great laugh we all have. Not forgetting me and the boy Brian seeing who lasts the longest! And I think going into this one it is 6.5 all?

And as for some of the pictures !!!!!

Sorry Andy !

post-3670-1130449365_thumb.jpg

Gent's

At night out in Wigan with you lot sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to come and join you. All you have to do is ask. Will I have to play side to side music or is up and down stuff alowed these days?

Baz

Not seen ya since the stag doo in London, hope you are well ?

Very well Gav and always good to see you mate!

I like that, two new 'genres' of Soul Music instantly created........'scuse me mate are you into 'side to side soul' or 'up and down' say's it all really ;-))

Who's going then? I am.... :thumbsup:

To everyone who is coming, just found this link from April of this year. I reckon the odd one or two tracks from these lists will have survived and might get an airing tonight.

https://www.soul-essence.co.uk/essence23.html

I'm still giving time to Charts, Kenny & Rideout and Bob i think is still spinning Best Friend Around & Marion Javius. Bob has a couple of bits up his sleeve for tonight and i've just found the best two unknown/semi known 70's things that i've had in a long time. Also just dug out the best EVER five quid tune that will sound awesome played out loud! Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks of them all later tonight.

Add to that Mr Barnfather and his thirst for the scene, Flanny & his monsters plus the man who has virtually every Modern Monster in his box, Steve Connor and it promises to be a good 'un!

Cheers

Steve

To everyone who is coming, just found this link from April of this year. I reckon the odd one or two tracks from these lists will have survived and might get an airing tonight.

https://www.soul-essence.co.uk/essence23.html

I'm still giving time to Charts, Kenny & Rideout and Bob i think is still spinning Best Friend Around & Marion Javius. Bob has a couple of bits up his sleeve for tonight and i've just found the best two unknown/semi known 70's things that i've had in a long time. Also just dug out the best EVER five quid tune that will sound awesome played out loud! Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks of them all later tonight.

Add to that Mr Barnfather and his thirst for the scene, Flanny & his monsters plus the man who has virtually every Modern Monster in his box, Steve Connor and it promises to be a good 'un!

Cheers

Steve

Last call for the Orwell tonite....

Got a special promotion on tonite as a thank you to everyone who's supported us this year.

Big thanks to everyone ..... 'Get thy Clogs on and we'll sy thy there'

come on Baz how was it, as the johnny ot rule states mention event more than 6 times in one thread then must post a lookback :yes:

on radio yep was flanny last 45 mins, shout if anyone wants it posting as adding audio stuff tomorrow and will get it up there

come on Baz how was it, as the johnny ot rule states mention event more than 6 times in one thread then must post a lookback :thumbsup:

Hi Mike

Usually leave the write ups to Mr Plumb, so no doubt he will be posting a full review. Gotta say I thouroughly enjoyed myself. The guests Bob Cosby and Soul Sam played some wonderful crossover and seventies gems and in the sprit of Yarmuff something old something new, great stuff!

watch this space for a full review

come on Baz how was it, as the johnny ot rule states mention event more than 6 times in one thread then must post a lookback :lol:

on radio yep was flanny last 45 mins, shout if anyone wants it posting as adding audio stuff tomorrow and will get it up there

Hi Mike

Yes, i think that rule is correct - i will post a review later today.

Superb night, by the way, will superb tuneage to match.

Please let us know when you post Flanny's radio bit?

Cheers

Steve

Guest Richard Bergman

Some excellent stuff played by all dj's on friday :lol:

Highlight for me was hearing Chuck Jackson's "what's with this loneliness" for the first time since I don't know when

Edited by Richard Bergman

Some excellent stuff played by all dj's on friday :lol:

Highlight for me was hearing Chuck Jackson's "what's with this loneliness" for the first time since I don't know when

Hi Richard

glad you enjoyed it. judging by the dance floor you weren't alone all the dj.s got good reaction to there sets. and stayed busy nearly all night

maybe we can get some playlists up for everyone to have a look at i'll see what we can sort out

cheers :D Flanny

Hi Richard

glad you enjoyed it. judging by the dance floor you weren't alone all the dj.s got good reaction to there sets. and stayed busy nearly all night

maybe we can get some playlists up for everyone to have a look at i'll see what we can sort out

cheers :lol: Flanny

Nearly there Flanny, just dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the write up, including as many toons as i can remember!

Cheers

Steve

Nearly there Flanny, just dotting the i's and crossing the t's on the write up, including as many toons as i can remember!

Cheers

Steve

A fabulous night was had by all at last Friday's Yarmouth special at The Orwell, Wigan Pier, Wigan.

Musically the night was spot on, probably the best for months. The consistency & quality of the tunes was the key. Each DJ choosing a great mix of 60's & 70's dancers, ranging from Northern, Crossover, 70's Modern & Soulful Steppers!

Another factor in the Orwell's success (in my opinion) is the fact that loads of people always come to dance! Not just to rare soul (although there is a lot of that about!) but to any tune that fits the bill (not just the dollar bill!).

In fact, it gave me great pleasure to see that the biggest floor filler of the night was in fact a five quid record in the shape of Edwin Starr's 'Running back and forth'..........well, maybe fifteen quid tops but you know what I mean!

Quite a few 'first plays' and a host of up and coming recent spins rubbed shoulders with the established monsters and Yarmouth classics in this blend of soulful heaven.

Below are a few of the highlights of the night including a full playlist from meself-

Steve Plumb (in no particular order)

Conway Brothers - Gonna refuse your love (My number one new old spin - A Soulful Stepper that could well go all the way)

Mac Davis - I'm just in love

Fantastic Johnny C - Waiting for the rain (orig mix - another ten quid special!)

Howwefeel - I just can't live without you

Kenny Hamber - Anything you want

George Jackson - I don't have the time

Moses Smith - Keep on striving

Philip James - Keep on loving

Jesse James - Falling in love for the first time

LaVern - It won't work out baby (Almeta part 2!)

Masqueraders - Do you love me baby

Kris Peterson - Just as much

Millionaires - I'm the one who loves you

Pat & The Blenders - Just because

Temptations - You're my everything (Best five quider ever - An Eddie & David duet -Perfection!!!!!)

L V Johnson - Recipe

Steve Connor

Richard Caiton - I'd like to get near you

Alex Brown - I'm not responsible

Timeless Legend - I was born to love you

Pulse - Sunshine (Nice!)

Edwin Starr - Running back and forth etc etc

Soul Sam

Maurice Jackson - Lucky fellow

Elipses (How good is this????)

Belita Woods c/u

Eric Lomax c/u

Milton Parker (wow!)

Joseph Webster

Eddie Billups - Ask my heart

Eddie Billups - Shake off that dream

Vince Montana - That's what love does (orig mix) etc etc

Bob Cosby

Don & Debbie - I can be happy

Billy Proctor - Keeping up with the Joneses

G.T.'s - Keep the love you got (Future monster methinks!)

Danny Williams - All those lies

Lovelites - My conscience

Executive Jam - I'm into your love

Willie Pickett - On the stage of life

Rock & co - You live only once (as Imperial Wonders) etc etc

Flanny

Denise Lasalle - Here I go again

Kim Weston - A thrill a moment

Seville - Show me the way

Pioneers - My good friend James

Masqueraders - How big is big

Corey Glover - Little girl (Yarmouth classic)

Four Tracks - Like my love for you

Next event at The Orwell is on Friday 25th November and it's a BOGOFF special!

If Soul Sam or the rest of the boys from the Orwell tell you to BOGOFF in the coming weeks, don't take offence J As a thank you to everyone who has supported us this year we are offering a 'Buy One, Get One For Free' deal i.e. Two people can come in for the normal admission price of one. See the special Business Cards that we are handing out over the coming weeks. Anyone who wants one please feel free to email me on stevep@itlnet.com

Also want to mention the Orwell Xmas special on Bank Holiday TUESDAY 27th December when we have ANDY DYSON making his Orwell debut alongside Soul Sam and the rest of the gang. We are also extending the night by an hour either side, running from 8pm until 3am with a late late late bar! Gonna be a cracker!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Just a few tunes from my playlist missed of Steve Plumbs post

SANDRA WRIGHT / MIDNIGHT AFFAIR / TRUTH

ASCOTS / JUST A FEW FEET FROM THE GUTTER / PLAYBOY

C COULTER / I CAN'T FIGHT THE FEELING / DYCO

PERFORMERS / LITTLE ANGEL / SIR GRAHAM

SAMMY LEE / WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND / PROMCO

''BABY DAVE'' GREENLEE / WE NEED LOVE / STEELCITY

MILLIONAIRES / AND THE RAINS CAME / SPECIALTY

CLARENCE REED / SOONER OR LATER / SELMA

NONEY RICKETT / PLAYER PLAY ON / IT

JOHN STANBERRY / I CAN'T BELEIVE (she took the whole thing) / STANLOS

Just a few tunes from my playlist missed of Steve Plumbs post

SANDRA WRIGHT / MIDNIGHT AFFAIR / TRUTH

ASCOTS / JUST A FEW FEET FROM THE GUTTER / PLAYBOY

C COULTER / I CAN'T FIGHT THE FEELING / DYCO

PERFORMERS / LITTLE ANGEL / SIR GRAHAM

SAMMY LEE / WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND / PROMCO

''BABY DAVE'' GREENLEE / WE NEED LOVE / STEELCITY

MILLIONAIRES / AND THE RAINS CAME / SPECIALTY

CLARENCE REED / SOONER OR LATER / SELMA

NONEY RICKETT / PLAYER PLAY ON / IT

JOHN STANBERRY / I CAN'T BELEIVE (she took the whole thing) / STANLOS

Hi Brian, Blame me for some of the missing tunage, I was enjoying myself so much I forgot to write them down. Gotta say Noney Rickett sounded superb!

Great selections from all the DJ's and aa vert appriciative crowd in there on Friday - Top Night

Guest Johnny One Trout

Stop rubbing it in i really wanted to get up to that last one but for a variety of reasons wasn't able to

Top tunage all round chaps whistling.gif as usual

John