Syl Johnson - Try Me, Different Songs, Different Takes

Dean

Syl Johnson / Syl Johnson and Orchestra - Try Me, available on Twinight 100 (later edit for clarity Twilight 100), Twinight 107, Twinight 108, Zachron 600.

Zachron 600 Syl Johnson and Orchestra; written by J. Cameron, S. Johnson, N. Meadows

Different song to Twinight 108 (with the rather good version of I Feel An Urge as A Side) written by F. Bowie, J Ellison.

Is the Twinight 100 a slightly different take to the Zachron 600? I'm sure I have one (Twinight 100) somewhere but can't find it. I presume the Twinight 107 is the same song as the 108?

Third question - Steve Lydon have you nicked (or I gave you drunk) my Twinight 100? :lol:

Got my anorak on today.

post-5677-0-89904100-1303827735_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-41944500-1303827807_thumb.jp

Edited by Dean
Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They are the same, exactly save the b side is "surrounded" on the Zachron styrene one is the A side on zachron with the ace "straight love no chaser"

Same No 600

post-1986-0-47795900-1303836837_thumb.jppost-1986-0-68797200-1303836823_thumb.jp

Social source share

Intersting stuff. There's a mis-spelt TWILIGHT 103 ( Syl Johnson - Different Strokes ) but didn't know about 100.

I've got the same number Zachron 600 Straight Love / Surrounded, same label design as the one Ken put up. What's been driving me to distraction is that when I gave Try Me ( Zachron 600) a play at home I thought it sounded different to when I've heard it out. That led me to look closer at some of the numbers in this confusing plot. I'd presumed Twinight 108 was the same song, never played it as I got it for the other side and never checked. Can't find my 100 to play. I'll check on Refo.

Social source share

Any idea of the going rate for both the Twilight 100 issue and demo . seems to me to be rising ?

How can you ask a question and answer it at the same time ? you could tell us what you think it's worth then we all can disagree biggrin.gif

Social source share

Just listened to Try Me on Refosoul (again referred to as TWILIGHT rather than TWINIGHT label ) and that's sounding the same as the Zachron 600.

Sorry if I'm blowing up my own question here, perhaps a trick of memory when I pulled it out of the box to play. Interesting notes from TB tho'. I'll have find my TWIL(n)IGHT 100 and play them back to back . . . . . . . or wait until Lydon comes around :lol: .

Social source share

How can you ask a question and answer it at the same time ? you could tell us what you think it's worth then we all can disagree biggrin.gif

Ok smarty-pants , it used to be a £10 record , but noticed an issue on Manships at £30 , So I think it to be worth uuuuuuuuuuuum well at least £100 do you agree :lol: .

Social source share

Ok smarty-pants , it used to be a £10 record , but noticed an issue on Manships at £30 , So I think it to be worth uuuuuuuuuuuum well at least £100 do you agree :lol: .

Yes, all his output should be 100 quider's biggrin.gif but they're not angry.gif the styrene one with the saxophone z is worth more than £30 well i got a lot more biggrin.gif

Social source share

I bought a Twilight 100 issue for $10 (vg+) a few weeks ago and someone recently had a mint demo in the sales section of SS for £15 which I thought was a bargain. The official 'A' side "Come on sock it to me' was a big seller in Chicago upon its realease and most copies that turn up tend to be in 'party record' (knackered!) condition.

Great track from a supremely gifted artist.

Dave.

Any idea of the going rate for both the Twilight 100 issue and demo . seems to me to be rising ?

Social source share

Lots of info in this thread, I'm a Syl Johnson osessive sad.gif Twilight isn't a misspelling, they legitimately changed the label name to Twinight after the first few releases after learning of another Twilight label. As mentioned 108 is definitely a different song & Syl's "Feel An Urge" is awesome on the flip of that. I have the Zachron with the block letters (sans Try Me) & didn't feel the need to get the "saxophonist" label one because I just assumed it would be the same take, that it might be different is interesting news to me. It is definitely a tougher pull than Twilight 100, which as someone noted seems to be rising in preice despite being a common 45, demand I guess. It's always been the easiest of the early Syl 45s to find. The white labels of the early yellow label Twilights aren't that common either, but do turn up. The block letter Zachron is common too, I had a box of unplayed stock & there are definitely unplayed stock on ebay from time to time, Surrounded & Straight Love are both strong tracks. Is there a white label variation of either Zachron though?

Social source share

Lots of info in this thread, I'm a Syl Johnson osessive sad.gif Twilight isn't a misspelling, they legitimately changed the label name to Twinight after the first few releases after learning of another Twilight label. As mentioned 108 is definitely a different song & Syl's "Feel An Urge" is awesome on the flip of that. I have the Zachron with the block letters (sans Try Me) & didn't feel the need to get the "saxophonist" label one because I just assumed it would be the same take, that it might be different is interesting news to me. It is definitely a tougher pull than Twilight 100, which as someone noted seems to be rising in preice despite being a common 45, demand I guess. It's always been the easiest of the early Syl 45s to find. The white labels of the early yellow label Twilights aren't that common either, but do turn up. The block letter Zachron is common too, I had a box of unplayed stock & there are definitely unplayed stock on ebay from time to time, Surrounded & Straight Love are both strong tracks. Is there a white label variation of either Zachron though?

It's odd too that the zachron one's have diffrent tracks on the same 600 straight love on one surrounded on the other.

Or something like that, i mean you got surrounded/try me or surrounded/straight love.

No not seen a demo

Social source share

I think what happened was they issued "Straight Love No Chaser"/"Surrounded" on Zachron 600 first which hit locally (then licensed it to Tag where it died). I think the intended follow up to this on Zachron was "Try Me"/"Surrounded" which was less successful. I am speculating that this was supposed to be Zachron 601 but it came out again as 600. The Scott Bros 45 is Zachron 602. Both Zachron variations originally appear on the saxophonist label by the way. With the saxophonist version of "Straight Love" being much tougher in my experience than the 2nd (but contemporary) press block letter version. "Half A Love" was the fourth song recorded at this session & perhaps was intended to be paired with "Try Me" on the follow up but for whatever reason was ditched in favor of recycling "Surrounded". "Come On Sock It To Me" was the only track recorded at the time & needing a flip for it, Syl just reached back & recycled "Try Me".

Social source share

Any price on TWILIGHT demo anyone? Issues still common enough, although often not in great shape, but don't recall seeing many of these.

I wouldn't bother it's a re-issue ph34r.gif

Social source share

:thumbsup: only half of it though.....

but to be serious, although the white labels are less common they actually seem to price out about the same as stock, no sizeable difference. In the real world it's a $5-$10 45, in the online world it seems to have recently risen & now be $20-$30.

Social source share

Are there genuine TWILIGHT demo's, original statement remains true - don't recall seeing many?

you might want to read the thread again because I think you're missing something. :hatsoff2:

yes there are genuine Twilight while labels, they aren't as common as the yellow, there isn't much difference in price.

"Try Me" on Twilight is a reissue of the "Try Me" on Zachron. (although there is no confirmation of whether they are different takes).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!