Terrible Confession

Guest Dan

I almost can't get the words out, but I think I like jazz funk.

I've been listening to Jean Carne and Roy Ayers and Donald Bird. Lonnie Liston Smith's Expansions is blowing my mind.

I feel so ashamed and dirty. I walk down the street and it's like everyone is looking at me and they KNOW.

But just saying it out loud (or in writing) is helping.

Anyway, my problem is I only know a few sounds. Can anyone who shares my filthy new found habit recommend any decent complilation CDs?

I don't want anything too avant guarde or experiemental - God knows, it's bad enough already.

All help appreciated.

PS No, I'm not selling my 60s or 70s soul stuff.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can't go wrong with the Mastercuts Classic Jazz Funk compilations from the 90s. Think there were 5 volumes? As good a place to start as any. Plus there's the Jazz Funk thread in Refosoul!

Don't start saying you feel dirty Dan.. you'll have me itching too! Can't beat a bit of classic jazz funk on a summers day!

Social source share

Can't go wrong with the Mastercuts Classic Jazz Funk compilations from the 90s. Think there were 5 volumes? As good a place to start as any. Plus there's the Jazz Funk thread in Refosoul!

Don't start saying you feel dirty Dan.. you'll have me itching too! Can't beat a bit of classic jazz funk on a summers day!

check there Rare groove lp's too, they may also fit the bill.

Social source share

Guest Dan

Thanks to all for your help, and to Pete for his kind words :thumbsup:

I thought that would flush you out.

Will def check out the comps mentioned, and Francine McNee.

Bob, what's embarrassing? I kn ow you're American, but I believe there used to be fights at northern events here in the dim and distant between soulies and funkers... some people would see my confession as evidence of mental problems. I find the smoother stuff better - verging into disco, I'd say.

Social source share

Thanks to all for your help, and to Pete for his kind words :wave:

I thought that would flush you out.

Will def check out the comps mentioned, and Francine McNee.

Bob, what's embarrassing? I kn ow you're American, but I believe there used to be fights at northern events here in the dim and distant between soulies and funkers... some people would see my confession as evidence of mental problems. I find the smoother stuff better - verging into disco, I'd say.

Thats deep disco Dan :D ...

I have had this itch for a long time, came out in a rash in the 90s and still have a little scratch now and again... ph34r.gif

Yes some classic comps out in the 90s...

I don't like the sound of Simsy with that romance promise :thumbsup:

Social source share

its all good, especially expansions...

A mate of mine gave me all of Roy Ayres LP's in Mp3 form about a year ago, every one, all brilliant..

Good little story on him, he played Ronnie Scotts over a decade ago in Birmingham, and in the day time before his show set up in one of the shopping centers with copies of his latest LP, just him, a chair, a table, the Lp's and a Big bouncer type chap, anyhow I'm walking past and notice this guy (Roy) has the LP up against his face and its pulling it down and making a funny face and silly voice to passers by, only when I went up to him did I twig who he was... as Obviously I had a ticket to attend later...

Really nice chap, chated for twenty mins, he signed an autograph, said Roy Ayres = Good Vibes, with a big cut-out of his head and shoulders, and I leave with his latest LP... made my day.

Mal.C :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Dan

I did wonder about that 'romance it out of him' line myself Steve :rolleyes:

Still, some people will do anything for records, eh.

Anyway, here's my No1 jazz funk trivia question:

- without googling, the father of which jazz funk icon played football for Kidderminster Harriers?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!