snooky

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

would sell my soul to the devil for this... :hypocrite:

too late - i already sold my soul and that wasn't enough - 2 known copies(?) and one unkown (?) and an acetate(?) makes it very rare...and what a facking tune - rare than Eddie Parker etc. so i wouldnt be surprised at $6K plus+++

Social source share

too late - i already sold my soul and that wasn't enough - 2 known copies(?) and one unkown (?) and an acetate(?) makes it very rare...and what a facking tune - rare than Eddie Parker etc. so i wouldnt be surprised at $6K plus+++

who has the 2nd known copy of this dave ?

Social source share

"I wish people wouldn't do this 'two copies known' rubbish, nobody knows every soul collector, I obviously know of a copy that none of you have mentioned, the guy recorded it from his 45 specifically for me."I was referring to this thread, not the world at large! Give me a break....What you're saying goes w/o saying, that's obvious. There still could be a box of em' sitting somewhere but until it's mentioned, who knows...

Edited by MikeVague
Social source share

"I wish people wouldn't do this 'two copies known' rubbish, nobody knows every soul collector, I obviously know of a copy that none of you have mentioned, the guy recorded it from his 45 specifically for me."I was referring to this thread, not the world at large! Give me a break....What you're saying goes w/o saying, that's obvious. There still could be a box of em' sitting somewhere but until it's mentioned, who knows...

I agree Mike, when people say "known" that is because that is what they know about. If someone said "two copies only", that would be different. Don't think anyone knows of more than 3 or 4 copies of this record. Thats not to say there isn't more though, just what we know about.

Who has the acetate? First I've heard of an acetate? Is it genuine studio acetate?

Not quite average but it is far from one of the best things ever recorded, I've never really got on with it and can take it or leave it.

Social source share

I agree Mike, when people say "known" that is because that is what they know about. If someone said "two copies only", that would be different. Don't think anyone knows of more than 3 or 4 copies of this record. Thats not to say there isn't more though, just what we know about.

Who has the acetate? First I've heard of an acetate? Is it genuine studio acetate?

Not quite average but it is far from one of the best things ever recorded, I've never really got on with it and can take it or leave it.

Well thats what I mean - it's a nice record but it doesn't get the hairs standing on end for me.

Social source share

Lot of money for such an average record (a good record, a nice record, but it doesn't have that extra special something - apart from it's rarity, which is why everyone's salivating over it).

Average record?....if it was a cheap record it would still be head and shoulders above most NS finds.The rarity makes it special.

Like a lot of tunes discussed on here,they need to be heard at a nighter at full tilt,to be truly objective,as well as in the comfort of you own home.Some tunes take on a different perspective when the volume is cranked up.

First heard this courtesy of a tape in the car on the way back from the 100 club 20 years ago.Then not long after heard it spun by Butch at same venue.

Blew me away then,and has done since.Everytime i've heard it out.

Social source share

"2 known copies" - a reference to our small soul world.No harm in that statement,its bandied around every day,12 of this,25 of that.

"Known" in our world.

We'll be arguing next that nothings unknown...cos the artist,musicians,writers, etc knew it first :thumbsup: ffs.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

............... there is a boxfull waiting to be found in the good old US of A sure as eggs are eggs.....

Always a possibilty as we all know ... stating the obvious the label was owned by Pat Livingston(e) and Donald Wilson ... Pat never had copies, and doesn't have any, and doesn't recall much about Esther Grant

Donald has been dead for years .. he has a daughter, called Debbie, but she remains elusive. So location from the primary source looks like a 'not going to happen' scenario

I wonder if the rarity is related to the odd whistling sound that you can hear on the 45. it's obviously not intentional but possibly a mastering fault or some other odd thing. Possibly a good enough reason to ditch the pressings

Andy

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!