Just Curious

The Shire! Lanarkshire Scotland.

Close to where the Allanton niters took place for a few years (late 80's early 90's).

A niter which was years ahead of it's time IMHO, sounds broke and played there still doing the rounds on the scene to this day and DJ'S line ups,which reflected the progressive nature of this great genre of music which we are involved with.

John.

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The Shire! Lanarkshire Scotland.

Close to where the Allanton niters took place for a few years (late 80's early 90's).

A niter which was years ahead of it's time IMHO, sounds broke and played there still doing the rounds on the scene to this day and DJ'S line ups,which reflected the progressive nature of this great genre of music which we are involved with.

John.

Good times up there, especially the Scotland vs. England nites.

post-1-1092435682_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Born in Leeds. When I was a bit older my Old Man got a Job in Leeds, so we moved there (different schools back then). Mid teens had enough and buggered off to Leeds. What a place, nothing like Leeds where I grew up.

Went to college in Leeds, good to get away, somewhere different, different faces and all that.

To current day, well made it well away from all that to Leeds. And can I say 'what a place'. sure does put Leeds to shame does Leeds.

Leeds is Ace.

Social source share

Chalky,

That takes me back must have served you tea or coffee.

Jimmy had me working in the tea bar most of the nite till about 6 then the floor was mine.

Mind you had to clean up the hall after everyone had left which usually took us up till the afternoon.

Meeting up with Jimmy who ran the niter, Mark Linton who DJd at the venue, next week look forward to letting them see your post with the flyer all the best. John.

Social source share

Chalky,

That takes me back must have served you tea or coffee.

Jimmy had me working in the tea bar most of the nite till about 6 then the floor was mine.

Mind you had to clean up the hall after everyone had left which usually took us up till the afternoon.

Meeting up with Jimmy who ran the niter, Mark Linton who DJd at the venue,  next week look forward to letting them see your post with the flyer all the best. John.

Like I said great nights, especialy on the coaches Guy ran. Dunno about tea or coffee though, didn't drink a lot of that ;-)

post-1-1092469817_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Good times up there, especially the Scotland vs. England nites.

A niter which was years ahead of it's time IMHO, sounds broke and played there still doing the rounds

JOhn?? I assume that is JG? If so how are you, its Jock O'Connor here. How are you, tell Jim I am definitely going tp call him! Interesting quote, I am actually trying to put together an article for one of the fanzines on the Scottish scene of the 80's focussing on CLouds/Glenrothes/Allanton and how these influenced progressive scene.

Chalky interesting flyer, have a number of different flyers and callnig cards that we done under Jims banner of Ruff Cut Soul, well it seemed funny then, Despite Jim being one of my best friends he still managed to spell my name wrongly on that

These were great days indeed!

I am from Edinburgh via Musselburgh and Frankfurt, just to keep on topic!

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

St Helens, Merseyside.

Strange town but it's now got a Motown bar so along with the lovely pies and top chippies it's looking a bit more attractive. The weirdest thing about taking people up there is the fact that in almost every pub or club with a DJ you'll get an hour of Northern Soul oldies played and it's nice that you never get that blank look and "What's northern soul then?" reaction that you invariably get down here when telling people what you do with your life.

I'm a cockerney now though after 14 years down here, and it's hard to compete with the wonderful Bethnal Green!

Social source share

Chalky interesting flyer, have a number of different flyers and callnig cards that we done under Jims banner of Ruff Cut Soul, well it seemed funny then, Despite Jim being one of my best friends he still managed to spell my name wrongly on that

Hi Jock, be nice to see the other flyers. Did have some of them but got lost somewhere down the line. Do have the ads from echoes etc somewhere though, will try and dig them out. I think after the Winding Wheel shut in Chesterfield, Allanton was deffo one of the places to go, used to love it up there, top nite.

Social source share

Guest Mick W

Blackpool born, raised in Lytham St Annes, left there at 21 and spent the next 26 years travelling all over the place !!!!!! Finally settled(for now) in Colchester !!

Have a Gorilla

Social source share

Guest rachel

Been lurking on here for a while so hello.... I'm originally from Lanarkshire (not too far from Shotts but too young to have gone), now in Edinburgh.

ps do you really let Janine and Karen loose with darts? ;-)

Social source share

Been lurking on here for a while so hello.... I'm originally from Lanarkshire (not too far from Shotts but too young to have gone), now in Edinburgh.

ps do you really let Janine and Karen loose with darts? ;-)

Rach, Janine and I are Champion darts players ;-)

Social source share

Like I said great nights, especialy on the coaches Guy ran.  Dunno about tea or coffee though, didn't drink a lot of that ;-)

might have been on the same coach as you - was in Berlin from late 86 to 94 but went to Shotts a few times when on leave. went once on a coach which picked us up at Heath roundabout, can't really remember who ran it though.

Scotty

oh, born Shirebrook, North Derbyshire. First Northern action at the old Inkersall Green MW doos - Nev Wherry, god rest his soul, and then took off to see a bit of the world. Berlin and Kinshasa prob the most memorable.

Currently residing near Pinner, North London, unfortunately.

Social source share

Yorkshire born and bred, from the beautifulcity of York, Son of LSD maggie and Brian the Bop, who were wigan junkies, i always like to think i was concieved in the toilets at wigan.

Yorkshire folk are the best dancers to my knowledge.

Stay fresh

Del Capri

Social source share

my soulful cv (better than a bloody work one)

Born in Dudley (Black Country) 61-86: local soul haunts: Queen Mary, Tiffanys Halesown, Locarno Brum, Wolvo Civic, Black Horse Wolvo,

Top of the World Stafford

then Blackpool 86-88 Windmill pub (i think) plus another can't remember (not the Mecca).

down to Falmouth Cornwall 88-92. Penwith Scooter/Soul nites, Victor Dragos soul/funk nites

up to Manchester 92 - present, the Birch AuL, Droylsden Concord Suite, Ritz Manc, Reform Club Heaton Chapel (Mark Bicknells nite), and soon New Century Manc.

my potted soulful history, to recap: in the middle, oop north, down sarf (very sarf), oop north again and here i'll stay

adios amigos

pedro

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Pedro did you ever get over to the Soul nights at the Elizabethan Suite in Newquay or the Fosters or Tall Trees events in the same town.

John

NQ 83-02

In fact do you know Dick and Carol James who used to live in Falmouth (well just outside actually another Dudlay lad is Dick)

Social source share

Nowt wrong wi us ere Yorkshire folk.... especially being a proper "de-da".... what other Yorkies call us born and bred Sheffielders.... just like Brett and ShaneH.... still in the Steel City after 42 years.... unlike Brett I'm with ShaneH, and Ady (originally), on the blue and white half of the city....

Social source share

hello Johnny, no never met those people pity really, i was on me jack jones down in cornwall in a soulful kind of way. i got over to tall trees for some nights but it was mainly early house with funk chucked in. the place in Penryn (not Penwith me memorys going) i met a few people from up and down the country who were ex-soulies or scooterists (listened and danced to everything and i mean everything, edwin one minute bloody then destination zululand the next, weird). i used to try and organise nights and parties with a crossover vibe but nothing to shout about, tried a 'quality soul across the board' approach. oh well those were the days. did you get up to Victor Dragos i used to do a set which went down well sometimes. I missed the Elizabethan suite but heard of it, we used to to a club outside newquay called the Bojey (something like that) but it was all housey trippers, just a night out.

adios johnny

pedro

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

hello Johnny, no never met those people pity really, i was on me jack jones down in cornwall in a soulful kind of way. i got over to tall trees for some nights but it was mainly early house with funk chucked in. the place in Penryn (not Penwith me memorys going) i met a few people from up and down the country who were ex-soulies or scooterists (listened and danced to everything and i mean everything, edwin one minute bloody then destination zululand the next, weird). i used to try and organise nights and parties with a crossover vibe but nothing to shout about, tried a 'quality soul across the board' approach. oh well those were the days. did you get up to Victor Dragos i used to do a set which went down well sometimes. I missed the Elizabethan suite but heard of it, we used to to a club outside newquay called the Bojey (something like that) but it was all housey trippers, just a night out.

adios johnny

pedro

Yeah the Bowgey at Crantock was pretty good especially in the early days very soulful house played up there. Dick and Carol lived in Penryn and Dick worked at the college, He's back in Dudlay and she's in Bournmouth nowadays (Dick was a scooterist as well you'd have hit it right off LOL) The Lizzy doo's were really quite good 500+ in and they were the inspiration for the filum Blue Juice (I kid ye not)

Never even heard of Victor Drago's though ;o)) But i did see King Kurt live in Penzance LOL

John

Social source share

alright johnny, i was at the art school for 4 years and never met up with him, bugger. yes victor dragos was up at the castle, we organised do's there for a couple of years, again just a night out for me, my mates were aspiring djs then - one now making money out of it. yes the bowgey at crantock was good night, very nice ladies frequented there from what i remember and thats not a lot. i know as soon as i got back from these do's the hi-fi went on and darrell banks always had a airing. my mates still mention it - educating the young.

adios amigo

pedro

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

You must have seen him around then he was a techie at the Art college for years Tall thin with Dark hair he did actually go through a bit of a hippy stage for a while but we shan't go there LOL

John

Social source share

alright johnny no can't place him he could have been at an annex, especially with a black country accent i would have spoted him. anyway good days in cornwall. you'll have to mention me to him, probably drank in the same watering holes,

adios pedro

Social source share

Nowt wrong wi us ere Yorkshire folk.... especially being a proper "de-da".... what other Yorkies call us born and bred Sheffielders.... just like Brett and ShaneH.... still in the Steel City after 42 years.... unlike Brett I'm with ShaneH, and Ady (originally), on the blue and white half of the city....

Good god i am quickly falling out with all my good Soul "City" bretheren.!!!!!

Social source share

Yorkshire born and bred, from the beautifulcity of York, Son of LSD maggie and Brian the Bop, who were wigan junkies, i always like to think i was concieved in the toilets at wigan.

Yorkshire folk are the best dancers to my knowledge.

Stay fresh

Del Capri

Just like to say that i think i am without doubt the best dancer on one leg from Yorkshire.!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!