Leeds Central Reunion/40Th Anniversary

WHAT A F**KING UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!

Amazing turnout, Amazing place , Amazing music!

Everyone agreed one of the best reunions ever.

Every DJ did the absolute biz, and the floor was full of

cheering, applauding dancers all day long.

I can't begin to tell you what this meant to me. I really

couldn't have wished for a better result.

Thank you all that came and for making it so very special.

Another one WILL follow!

Edited by steveluigi
  • Replies 26
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

WHAT A F**KING UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!

Amazing turnout, Amazing place , Amazing music!

Everyone agreed one of the best reunions ever.

Every DJ did the absolute biz, and the floor was full of

cheering, applauding dancers all day long.

I can't begin to tell you what this meant to me. I really

couldn't have wished for a better result.

Thank you all that came and for making it so very special.

Another one WILL follow!

AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT DAY .

Credit where credit is due Steve , and you deserve it by the bucket load , for you were true to your word and intentions , as you gave us a promotion to remember .

It was a sincere pleasure to be there and be part of it .

Malc

AN ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT DAY .

Credit where credit is due Steve , and you deserve it by the bucket load , for you were true to your word and intentions , as you gave us a promotion to remember .

It was a sincere pleasure to be there and be part of it .

Malc

I have just seen this Steve , and I have PMSL .

" If you want to look after yourself in old age , don't live in Reading "

( As Rowan is one of my oldest friends on the scene , It is obligatory for me to take the urine out of him )

Malc

post-5097-0-44676000-1304316169_thumb.jp

Just a few of the comments about the 'Central reunion'

We had a great day at Central , came up from Nottingham on Saturday stayed till Monday what a brill week-end , met up with some old friends ............KTF

bloody fantastic day, best music ive heard in long time,consistant ,couldnt sit down, some of the best soulies there, the best sunday of soul, since Oldham , brilliant!!!!!we will be back

Yes we all had a top day...so pleased for you and that it was a packer

fuckin top do carn't say any more luved it bring on the nxt 1

thankyou was a fantastic day x

seriously top dayer. Awesome 1st set to start off with. Place was buzzin :-)

a brilliant day all round , and a credit to Steve Luigi for staging it

Guest Ste Brazil

Brilliant day, great music, superb atmosphere, the best soul do this year so far for me, lets have another one!!

Well done Steve.

Ste.

Storming, just brilliant, the magic of the Central liveson! Going down the stairs, hearing Dee Dee Sharp, What Kind of Lady blasting out justblew me away. Probably the sound that best summed up the day Dobie Gray, The 'in'Crowd, right people, right place. :thumbsup:

Im in with the in crowd

I go where the in crowd goes

Im in with the in crowd

And I know what the in crowd knows

Any time of the year dont you hear

Dressing fine, making time

We breeze up and down the street

We get respect from the people we meet

They make way, day or night

They know the in crowd is out of sight

Im in with the in crowd

I know every latest dance

When you're in with the in crowd

Its easy to find romance

At a spot where the beats really hot

Oh, If its square we aint there

We make every minute count

Our share is always the biggest amount

Other guys imitate us

But we originals still the greatest

We got our own way of walking

We got our own way of talking, yeah

Any time of the year dont you hear

Spending cash, talking trash

Girl Ill show you a real good time

Come on with me and leave your troubles behind

I dont care where you been

You aint been nowhere till you been in

With the in crowd, yeah

Oh, With the in crowd

We got our own way of walking, yeah

We got our own way of talking, yeah

Guest topcatnumpty1

Yeh ,agree with all that has been said --from meeting up in Whitelocks b4 with Pete D.,Cockney Steve(still trying to sell those same 2x Grapevine albums for beer money!!) until leaving The Central and going to 2 gay bars(you had to be there --Budgie,s face in The New Penny when i told him the nice comfy leather settee he was sat on meant he was single and available!!!

Back to the :DO: --the sounds were ones you could hear anywhere but as i said to Pete Dillon ,hearing them in the basement made it so different.....well done Mr Luigi for the idea ,nice chatting to Malc Burton and putting names to faces

T,C,

Yeh ,agree with all that has been said --from meeting up in Whitelocks b4 with Pete D.,Cockney Steve(still trying to sell those same 2x Grapevine albums for beer money!!) until leaving The Central and going to 2 gay bars(you had to be there --Budgie,s face in The New Penny when i told him the nice comfy leather settee he was sat on meant he was single and available!!!

Back to the :DO: --the sounds were ones you could hear anywhere but as i said to Pete Dillon ,hearing them in the basement made it so different.....well done Mr Luigi for the idea ,nice chatting to Malc Burton and putting names to faces

T,C,

Times never change , only the carrier bag :(

How did you know about the settee Tony ?

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton

The atmosphere! its in the walls lads.

Er hem ..... and lasses biggrin.gif

You did make me smile Pete when you said "This place has got atmosphere, even when it's empty" thumbsup.gif

There were so many proud men (& women) in The Central that sunny Sunday afternoon & even though I wasn't lucky enough to go the first time round, I could see & feel how much this place meant to everyone and I was chuffed as punch to be able to experience what the Central must have felt like, so thanks to you guys on here for helping Steve put the chips in the pan biggrin.gifand get this show on the road hatsoff2.gif

What a cracking all-dayer, well done Steve thumbsup.gif

Ali x

P.S I was also impressed with the bar prices for a City Centre venue. 10p ohmy.gif for half a pint of Blackcurrant Cordial, so I was on pints all afternoon yes.gif ....... & spent the grand total of 40p biggrin.gifplus with the free Sunday parking in Leeds it turned out to be a very competitive afternoon for me thumbsup.gif& yes, I am from Yorkshire biggrin.gif and proud of it thumbsup.gif x

Edited by Alison H

Good lass, Alison. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes it was a very proud day for all us old 'uns, you are right. Also really glad the younger ones who never went had the opportunity to experience it for the first time.. It was like that every week Alison!..The allnighters kept people coming back from all over the country so it had to be good..Yes it does have atmosphere its in the walls.. Roll on the next one..

Good lass, Alison. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes it was a very proud day for all us old 'uns, you are right. Also really glad the younger ones who never went had the opportunity to experience it for the first time.. It was like that every week Alison!..The allnighters kept people coming back from all over the country so it had to be good..Yes it does have atmosphere its in the walls.. Roll on the next one..

Here here thumbsup.gif I'll be there for sure yes.gif

Guest miss nancy

It was the strangest feeling - walking down the stairs after all those years ............ absolutely fantastic atmosphere, loved every minute of it, nice to catch up with old friends, lovely to see Steve again and as always to spend time with the groovy gang and the lovely Alison :hatsoff2:

Looking forward to the next one ......

I know Nancy, when I went to speak to the manager about booking the place, it was really weird, I could still feel the atmosphere

from 30 odd years ago, I told that to the manager and i think he thought I was a bit strange, but you had to be there at that time to know what we

feel when we go in there. the walls still hold the atmosphere and the soul, and I think they breathed a sigh of relief when the Northern started belting out again and they let 30 years of atmosphere free into the room.

What a feeling!!

Edited by steveluigi

I know Nancy, when I went to speak to the manager about booking the place, it was really weird, I could still feel the atmosphere

from 30 odd years ago, I told that to the manager and i think he thought I was a bit strange, but you had to be there at that time to know what we

feel when we go in there. the walls still hold the atmosphere and the soul, and I think they breathed a sigh of relief when the Northern started belting out again and they let 30 years of atmosphere free into the room.

What a feeling!!

Hi steveL this is Steve L :yes: Things may get a little confusing here :(

Edited by Steve L

Heheh!! they are aren't they, I'll have to think of another tag.

Hey Mr L.... Luigi biggrin.gif

Here's a few photo's of the re-union, you're welcome to use them as you see fit thumbsup.gif

The one of interest to me is the guy with Dave Parrish, towards the back of the album, as I think I overheard you say that he was the owner of the club all them years ago and the reason why the Leeds Central was allowed to go ahead. Did I hear right ?

Hope you like them thumbsup.gif

Ali x

Edited by Alison H

Thanx for these Alison, they are excellent.

Yes the guy with Dave Parish is Derek, the original Manager of the Central, and along with him and his wife Joan (now departed)

agreed to let Mod music be played in the club in approx' 1969, and then 2 years later 1971, Northern Soul.

Before that and on other nights when the soul club wasn't on, they used to teach ballroom dancing in there along with Len Cave (the club owner).

So yes it was all down to him along with his wife and Len, that the Central Soul Club was born.

Steve

Thanx for these Alison, they are excellent.

Yes the guy with Dave Parish is Derek, the original Manager of the Central, and along with him and his wife Joan (now departed)

agreed to let Mod music be played in the club in approx' 1969, and then 2 years later 1971, Northern Soul.

Before that and on other nights when the soul club wasn't on, they used to teach ballroom dancing in there along with Len Cave (the club owner).

So yes it was all down to him along with his wife and Len, that the Central Soul Club was born.

Steve

Oh wow! that's brilliant !

I think I might go put a caption on the photo as it looks like he's pointing at Dave's Central badge, I don't think he was, more like he was trying to get Dave to go away laugh.gif

If you read this Dave, I'm only kidding, I think you're ace thumbsup.gif

Oh wow! that's brilliant !

I think I might go put a caption on the photo as it looks like he's pointing at Dave's Central badge, I don't think he was, more like he was trying to get Dave to go away laugh.gif

If you read this Dave, I'm only kidding, I think you're ace thumbsup.gif

" ACE " ....... not heard that term since Adam was a lad :lol:

Malc

Guest miss nancy

" ACE " ....... not heard that term since Adam was a lad :lol:

Malc

Did Alison tell you that she introduced me to you at the reunion but because it was very dark and jammed, the lovely lady got a little confused and introduced me to a complete stranger (who seemed pleased to meet us both!!!).

See you at the next one maybe!

Source Advert