Whats your most Prized record?

mischief

If you could pick one record from your collection.. Not two or three, but just one, one that you would never part with, what would it be? Don't have to be worth a lot, Just because it's special..

I'll start it all off then..

"Under My Thunmb" April Silver on Commonwealth.

My mate used to play this at a do 20 years ago when I was 17, and we used to really love it. It would really fill the floor. I never could find a copy.

Then on my wedding day my wife had bought it for me as a wedding present. (Think she was making apoint more than anything)

WELL WHAT'S YOURS?

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Deceived/Feminine Ingenuity by Ruby (Gold Token),

because when my little girl Ruby leaves home , this is hers to take with her.( i hope she never leaves :) )

Social source share

On a purely memorable note Lp wise my favorite and probably the commonest Lp ever was the Diana Ross and the supremes greatest hits Lp with the 3 big red lips on. At the time anyway it was the greatest thing to shag all night to with it playing in the background . The nearest anything has come near to it on a love making theme is the Tammi Terrell "Irresistable" Lp .Sheer class.

Social source share

Guest Mick W

Donnell Pitman(featuring Chi-lites)- Your love is dynamite -After Five

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Why ? Dont ask.........It will end up like Simon Bates "our tune "

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Have a Gorilla

Mick

Social source share

Very difficult to pin it down to just one track, but probably has to be Linda Jones 'Just cant live my life' even though I am not an oldies fan, this track still does it for me, lifts me to another level and catapults me into aural orgasm every time and defo one to play as im being burned / roasted / toasted / turned into ashes....

Linda had an amazing vocal range and is my favourite female vocalist ever, her stunning vocal on 'You Cant Take It' (french Warner Bros EP/45 & Loma LP mono/stereo) still leaves me completely knackered after all these years, and im just so pleased its finally starting to get the recognition it deserves. I remember putting this onto tape swaps 20 years ago and thinking, 'One day this will be a monster sound'...just need a few more DJs (not lemmings) to play it out LOUD....

sermon over

Paul

Social source share

"My Illusion" Sugarpie Desanto on Soulclock. It was a present from a pal who's no longer here and I loved it from the first hearing .

(Kitty , i hope you're looking after it hee hee)

Social source share

Pyramid - Soul Bros Inc - Golden Eye

Used to make me cry when I heard it at nighters (though I was, er, intoxicated)

My funeral 45

Social source share

On a purely memorable note Lp wise my favorite and probably the  commonest Lp ever was the Diana Ross and the supremes greatest hits Lp with the 3 big red lips on. At the time anyway it was the greatest thing to shag all night to with it playing in the background

Must have been the sight of those big red pouting lips on the sleeve!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Gotta be the Rufus Lumley LP with Stronger than me, but that is locked up safely at Mums, so out of my box probably:

J Blackfoot - Where is love.

Worth the £1 of anybodys money. Who says I dont like modern ?!!

Social source share

If I had to choose a 45, I'ld go with Priscilla Price 'Rockerfella Jones' - a record that has absolutely everything in just under 3 minutes of gorgeousness. Yep, would never part with that one.

Album would be Jean Dushon with 'Make way for Jean Dushon' on 1964 Argo. Just a superb album from start to finish - Hitchhike, Baia, Early one morning.......bootiful!

Social source share

Now don't laugh!

'When we get there' Paul Anka - RCA

Not so much prized but when I first got back into the scene a couple of years ago this was a really popular tune at the Ritz and Belle Vue in 1977/78.

I considered buying a copy on a bus from Wigan (trains packed up again) for #100. Just brings back good memories!

Social source share

Deceived/Feminine Ingenuity by Ruby (Gold Token),

because when my little girl Ruby leaves home , this is hers to take with her.( i hope she never leaves :)   )

Ah Brett, I wondered why you were going on about Ruby every time I saw you in Manchester! Nice meeting you. See you soon

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Definitely has to be Doug Banks - I just Kept On Dancing! Not rare, but had to pick that purely for the memories. I bought it when I was in the sixth form at school and working in Kwik Save (don't laugh - I still have the delightful purple overall at home somewhere!!) after school and on saturdays. It was a huge record at the time (1989) and I simply had to have it. Mick Smith had turned up quite a few copies and that was the first record I spent a lot of money on - well it was a lot compared to my part time Kwik Save wage - cost me £30 from Mick!

Over the years I've spent a lot more on records, but as I say I HAD to have that record at the time and it meant such a lot to me getting that ellusive sound even if part of me thought (and knew!) I was totally barking spending a week's wages on a piece of plastic!! Happy days!

Rich

Social source share

Billy Stewart..secret love..chess

A record my mate gave me over 20 years ago because i loved it so much

i still knock around with the lad today and when i ask him if he has a copy he always tells me that he lost his years ago.

The record always reminds me of younger more foolish days

and i still love the tune.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Kolla, you've made me worry a bit now.

I seem to have accrued so many things in my" other peoples soul storage room"-I'm

losing track. Oh dear, the responsibility of it all-hope it's not gone to the jumble! It hasn't, it hasn't.

Kitty

Social source share

Kolla

Do you maybe want to think of your second most prized record-just in case?

Kitty

I feel dizzy ... if some cat has been neutered on the funds raised from selling my record, then , then i'll cry.

Social source share

If you could pick one record from your collection.. Not two or three, but just one, one that you would never part with, what would it be? Don't have to be worth a lot, Just because it's special..

Been racking my brains and I can't think of just one record, maybe the Majestics, but most of them are special in their own little way. Think Gareth said the last one got, some truth in that too. But leaving me with just one - may as well take that as well and while your at it kick me when I'm down and rip my heart outta my chest.

Sorry for not joining in the spirit of this, but please dont leave me with just one. I'm all upset now :-(((

Social source share

Patti Labelle - All Or Nothing Atlantic TP paid £2 probably worth all of £3.50 today, fantastic record but also a special memory of a crazy but very special guy Pete Lawson, havent played the record for about 7 years but am going to dig it out of its box and remember, then think will put it on cd swap!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Been racking my brains and I can't think of just one record, maybe the Majestics, but most of them are special in their own little way. Think Gareth said the last one got, some truth in that too. But leaving me with just one - may as well take that as well and while your at it kick me when I'm down and rip my heart outta my chest.

Sorry for not joining in the spirit of this, but please dont leave me with just one. I'm all upset now :-(((

Dave that's exactly why i haven't joined in on this one how on earth can you expect a boy to pick just one!!!!!

I'm not playing and i'm taking my ball back ;oP

John

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Kenny Lonas - Would you Believe on Columbia

They should issue it on prescription - one of those tunes I can't listen to without closing my eyes clenching my fists smiling like a baby and spreading my arms out.

Obviously I can't play it outside my living room or I'd be carted away by the men in white coats!

Cheap as chips too.

Social source share

Well I've really had to try hard to pick just one.... You'd think it would be the Big Daddy Rogers I got from Mark Bicknell last year... The most I've ever spent on a tune, and my all time fave.... BUT IT'S NOT!...

Then you might think it was Lionel Hampton's "A & T" on Glad Hamp.... cos I know how much Andy BB loathes it.... But EVEN THAT isn't it.

No I think it's the Cookie Jackson I picked up totally out of the blue...... But I'm still not 100% sure.

JUST ONE IS JUST NOT POSSIBLE!!

Social source share

They should issue it on prescription - one of those tunes I can't listen to without closing my eyes clenching my fists smiling like a baby and spreading my arms out.

Obviously I can't play it outside my living room or I'd be carted away by the men in white coats!

Cheap as chips too.

Even better version (IMO) Andy by William Hunt on Streamside, more soulful. Cheap too at about £30 or £40. And I've played this out in years gone by ;-)

Social source share

Sorry to break your '...not two, not three, but one...' rule but they are all of sentimental value (or most of them, anyway) but I managed to narrow it down to two, one of which was nicked some time ago. They are: The Four Voices 'Your Love Is getting Stronger' and 'The Hamilton Movement 'She's Gone', which unfortunately cannot be with us today. If anybody knows of another one for sale or swapps, please let me know.

Social source share

Sorry to break your '...not two, not three, but one...' rule but they are all of sentimental value (or most of them, anyway) but I managed to narrow it down to two, one of which was nicked some time ago. They are: The Four Voices 'Your Love Is getting Stronger' and 'The Hamilton Movement 'She's Gone', which unfortunately cannot be with us today. If anybody knows of another one for sale or swapps, please let me know.

Have seen another photo of the Hamilton Movement with seven or eight in the group. One of them looks a right twat in the outfit he's got on ;-)

Social source share

Of all the records I ever bought, I think my most special has to be a well loved, one-sided, date stamped, 1959 RCA demo of The Isley Bros - Shout (Part 2). That four part gospel intro is pure exhilaration, and although it got shamelessly murdered by that Luvverpudlian, it's still such an exciting record in its own right. It's black and pure. It's not a Northern record by a long mark. But the thought that it was from a copy like mine that people first heard it on the radio all those years ago still makes me warm inside....

Social source share

my fave record has gotta be prayin/harold melvin and the bluenotes, it was as good as the vinegar strokes when i first heard it

This is my first post as i am a new member very interested to hear of any nights kicking off in the North as i am a young 'un from yorkshire and i like nothin better than wearing out a dancefloor

Good to see so many soulies around

Stay fresh

Del-Capri

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Album would be Jean Dushon with 'Make way for Jean Dushon' on 1964 Argo. Just a superb album from start to finish - Hitchhike, Baia, Early one morning.......bootiful!

Good call - I really like her piano-driven version of Hitchhike.

Ali

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

Been trying to come up with a single for this for a couple days but gave up so I'll go for an LP, not northern but hits the spot every time - Otis Blue - Otis Redding.

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Andy BB

Imagine my surprise at your choice of "Most Prized Record" as it happens to be mine also. But although I do like it for it's musicality and especially the French Horn, but I prize it because I recorded it for Columbia in 1964. It ended up being the only single I ever released on a major label although I have been recording and engineering tunes all my life with diversions along the way. Thanks for your kind words and that French Horn was played by John Simon, the Producer. He was a young unknown at the time but over the last 40 years has accomplished a lot more than I have. Cheers!

Kenny Lonas (doctormemory)

link

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!