Whats your most Prized record?

mischief

Christ! It's like a long forgotten friend showing up!

I remember racking my brains trying to narrow it down to one when the thread was up first time around. I took so long trying to pin it down to one it disappeared!!!

Right, on with my choice. For pure sentimental reasons and a record I just simply loved when I heard it 20 years ago as a wee lad listening to my Dads tapes is Jan Jones 'Independent Woman' Day-Wood.

Not everyones cup of tea, and one I play very rarely myself, but it takes me back to a time when I listened to music without predjudice and cynicism.

*The tape that the Jan Jones was on was taken from a 'Boot' album called I think 'All Nite Long' and had a grey sleeve with a woman singing into a mic? I think it had some Chicago radio station on the front too?

I think it had Cheryl Berdell, Dells, Tyrone Barkley and loads of other cracking 70's/80's stuff on it.

Was it pressed up in the North West by someone well-known???

All this just came back to me while reminiscing!!!!

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Marvin & Tammi - Ain't No Mountain High Enough. Just brightens my day.

link

Its got to be Richie Havens "i cant make it anymore"..Got this for my 40th birthday after chasing a copy for a few years,first heard it at the Ritz about 5 years ago spun by Neil Rushton i think,the floor was cleared but everyone just stood there listening...I asked him to play it when i saw him at the Jazz cafe 2 years ago,he said he aint done that number for over 30 years,he looked me in the eye and then sang it,one of those moments in life..I do love the Spyder Turner version also but Mr Havens makes me close my eyes and think of the first time i heard it...Nice topic this one because we all have that special tune for many different reasons....

Social source share

Even better version (IMO) Andy by William Hunt on Streamside, more soulful.  Cheap too at about £30 or £40.  And I've played this out in years gone by ;-)

link

The UK and the US releases of this are slightly different I think - certainly the artists name is changed on the UK one to Willie Amos Hunt

Social source share

Mine would have to be Lovely Ladies - Allnight Band, big Morecambe tune and hunted it for ages. Finally got a call 1 Sunday, a mate in Preston had 1 and needed money bad! I raced down the A6 and we met at Garstang in a layby in the afternoon and the deal was done. Musta looked dodgy for passing motorists :D

Paid £30 16yrs ago and a personal achievement had been made. Went home and wrote: 'Strictly Not For Sale At Any Price' on it.

Got another one within a year from down sarf and swapped with my mate for around £100 worth of albums!

Not seen another since...

Sam

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Christ! It's like a long forgotten friend showing up!

I remember racking my brains trying to narrow it down to one when the thread was up first time around. I took so long trying to pin it down to one it disappeared!!!

Right, on with my choice. For pure sentimental reasons and a record I just simply loved when I heard it 20 years ago as a wee lad listening to my Dads tapes is Jan Jones 'Independent Woman' Day-Wood.

Not everyones cup of tea, and one I play very rarely myself, but it takes me back to a time when I listened to music without predjudice and cynicism.

*The tape that the Jan Jones was on was taken from a 'Boot' album called I think 'All Nite Long' and had a grey sleeve with a woman singing into a mic? I think it some Chicago record station on the front too?

I think it had Cheryl Berdell, Dells, Tyrone Barkley and loads of other cracking 70's/80's stuff on it.

Was it pressed up in the North West by someone well-known???

All this just came back to me while reminiscing!!!!

Cheers,

Jamie

link

CrackingAlbum Jamie tho it didnt have the Dells on.

Side one had a slightly more 60s feel to it, tho the tracks may well be 70s.

It was a limited press i believe, about 500. All are numbered. I got mine at the Leicester allnighter that was held in Loughboro SWONS.

BTW I wouldnt change the choice I made in August either.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

It was a limited press i believe, about 500. All are numbered. I got mine at the Leicester allnighter that was held in Loughboro SWONS.

link

So I didn't dream it then!!!

It'd be nice if you could get me a track listing Mikey. Not bad to say it was 20 years ago since I last saw it!

I wonder what it's worth? - Maybe a topic for in your Box??

Cheers,

J :D

Social source share

link

Still got one that Bernie Golding gave me. Done by him and Richard Searling.

Side one had things like the Deadbeats, William Powell , Bobby Adams and Court Davis on it I think. Will have to dig it out. But you are right Mikey, definitely no Dells.

Charles Johnson was on it. RS borrowed my Jan Jones coz he never had

an original at that time.

Social source share

Side one had things like the Deadbeats, William Powell , Bobby Adams and Court Davis on it I think. Will have to dig it out. But you are right Mikey, definitely no Dells.

link

I think I remember the recordings on the album being pretty poor quality.

It sounded even worse on them shitty old BASF tapes!!!!

Social source share

Kenny, is that really you? I've got your "Would you believe" on Columbia as well. I think it's the dogs bollocks regardless of price/value. Thanks ever so much for recording it and sharing your talent with us.

Cheers mate!

Oh, by the way ..... Jack Montgomery "Don't turn your back on me" .... it's going in the box with me!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

link

It was called 'up all night'.

It had things like 'The Q' still on the sleeve as the cover up name 'James Lewis', I think. Its with my albums at my brothers so i will ask him to post on here this evening with the listings if he can find it.

Social source share

Lou Pride, Ime comming home in the morning , Got it on a boot 28 years ago, will never get rid off it even if i get the original I allways seem to be singing it my head, the number of times ive been coming home and had to try get my baby back not just from a nighter but with work and life in genral is unreal When I go to the big allnighter in the sky i want this played. Only the wife will understand the reason why, as this has a seperate meaning for me and her.

Social source share

It was called 'up all night'.

It had things like 'The Q' still on the sleeve as the cover up name 'James Lewis', I think. Its with my albums at my brothers so i will ask him to post on here this evening with the listings if he can find it.

link

Crap, I've posted a new thread called 'All Nite Long' :D I'll see if Mike or Kolla can change it!!!

Social source share

Was the Up All Night album ever re pressed?

I had a copy when it first came out ( early 80's?) which I eventually gave to my brother.

I got a second copy in the 90's from Roger Banks. I think he only charged a tenner, cover was the same and same blank labels.

Played Charles Johnson - Never Had A Love So Good off it at the weekend.

Social source share

NO

You are right I am stupid.

Just spoke to Mark. He will post this evening.

Sorry to mess you about Jamie

link

Tee Hee!!

Changed it back.

Please put any posts re: the album on that thread please!!!!

Jamie :D

Social source share

Guest Soulscene

Has to be

Daydreamer-Eddie Holland

Just love this song to bits!!!!

My funeral play........

I should have added I dont have this obviously.......still my no 1 favourite though!!!

Edited by Soulscene
Social source share

Lainie Hill-Time Marches On

Reminds me of my early nighter days,finally got a proper copy for £18 off of Bedford Hammy in 1979 & swore to myself I would never sell

Social source share

Mine would have to be Lovely Ladies - Allnight Band, big Morecambe tune and hunted it for ages. Finally got a call 1 Sunday, a mate in Preston had 1 and needed money bad! I raced down the A6 and we met at Garstang in a layby in the afternoon and the deal was done. Musta looked dodgy for passing motorists  :D

Paid £30 16yrs ago and a personal achievement had been made. Went home and wrote: 'Strictly Not For Sale At Any Price' on it.

Got another one within a year from down sarf and swapped with my mate for around £100 worth of albums!

Not seen another since...

Sam

link

Edited by tubbs
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

If you could pick one record from your collection.. Not two or three, but just one, one that you would never part with, what would it be? Don't have to be worth a lot, Just because it's special..

Clyde McPhatter "Welcome home" lp inc "Please give me one more chance"

Took me five years to find this, a week later saw another copy on English MCA.. bugger !

Jimmy Mack "My world is on fire" first big record I found in the States, trying not to drool as the dealer looked on, gave him the flip side to play and he remarked "why do you want this, bit slow isn't it"..... ho hum.....

Social source share

Very difficult to pin it down to just one track, but probably has to be Linda Jones 'Just cant live my life' even though I am not an oldies fan, this track still does it for me, lifts me to another level and catapults me into aural orgasm every time and defo one to play as im being burned / roasted / toasted / turned  into ashes....

Linda had an amazing vocal range and is my favourite female vocalist ever, her stunning vocal on 'You Cant Take It' (french Warner Bros EP/45 & Loma LP mono/stereo) still leaves me completely knackered after all these years, and im just so pleased its finally starting to get the recognition it deserves. I remember putting this onto tape swaps 20 years ago and thinking, 'One day this will be a monster sound'...just need a few more DJs (not lemmings) to play it out LOUD....

sermon over

Paul

link

Paul - that's a soulful post, and if you don't mind I'll simply echo it.

First time I heard that awesome Linda Jones track (Just can't) was at Va Va around '74. Searling was on it and it was breaking big time. I was off my head on my first ever blueys. The tingle that went down my spine when the breakdown comes, topped off by that heart wrenching wail - God that was a sublime moment for a 15 year old kid.

Yep, if you got to pick one, that's a great choice.

Social source share

Its got to be Richie Havens "i cant make it anymore"..Got this for my 40th birthday after chasing a copy for a few years,first heard it at the Ritz about 5 years ago spun by Neil Rushton i think,the floor was cleared but everyone just stood there listening...I asked him to play it when i saw him at the Jazz cafe 2 years ago,he said he aint done that number for over 30 years,he looked me in the eye and then sang it,one of those moments in life..I do love the Spyder Turner version also but Mr Havens makes me close my eyes and think of the first time i heard it...Nice topic this one because we all have that special tune for many different reasons....

link

Doesn't he do this live on the Woodstock film? If not, it's on Monterey Pop. I've definitely got this on video.

Social source share

Guest mattmale

Deceived/Feminine Ingenuity by Ruby (Gold Token),

link

I love that record...

mine is, Baby i need you - T.J. Williams and Two shades of soul - Josie

Nice up beat sound puts me in a good mood. thumbsup.gif

Matt

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

"Andy BB

Imagine my surprise at your choice of "Most Prized Record" as it happens to be mine also. But although I do like it for it's musicality and especially the French Horn, but I prize it because I recorded it for Columbia in 1964. It ended up being the only single I ever released on a major label although I have been recording and engineering tunes all my life with diversions along the way. Thanks for your kind words and that French Horn was played by John Simon, the Producer. He was a young unknown at the time but over the last 40 years has accomplished a lot more than I have. Cheers!

Kenny Lonas (doctormemory)"

How cool is that? Nice one. Thanks for the tune. Brilliant voice!

Social source share

hi all very hard choice to just pick one record but for me it has to be the awsome melvin brown james mathews loves stormy weather carl willingham playedit last year at prestatyn what a tuneeeeeee mr j.p.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Belson wrote:

Aug 12 2004, 09:42 AM

If I had to choose a 45, I'ld go with Priscilla Price 'Rockerfella Jones' - a record that has absolutely everything in just under 3 minutes of gorgeousness. Yep, would never part with that one.

Album would be Jean Dushon with 'Make way for Jean Dushon' on 1964 Argo. Just a superb album from start to finish - Hitchhike, Baia, Early one morning.......bootiful!

Belson:

After I read your post, I called Jean DuShon and read your post to her. She was thrilled and sends her regards directly to you.

Presently, Jean is in rehearsal for the show, RED HOT BROADWAY, in which she will share the bill with Debbie Gibson the former teen queen who grew up and changed to the musical theatre. Plans are to take the show to Broadway after a tour.

Oliver

post-1417-1107820568_thumb.jpg

Social source share

A hard one this.........

but i suppose it has to be.......

FIESTAS - THINK SMART - OLD TOWN

Not the rarest record i know,

but i grew up with this record and always dreamed of having one........ one day!!

and now i have -

always feel a bit proud when i play it!

FEEL I GOTTA SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MR. OCONNORS FAVOURITE - PATTI LABELLE .........

YOU SAY IT'S BEEN 7 YEARS SINCE YOU PLAYED IT

- WELL I HAVEN'T PLAYED IT SINCE THAT 'SOMEWHAT' CRAZY WEEKEND

............ I DAREN'T !!!!!!!!!!!!

ps:

Wasn't that the weekend we all went to the beach.....

And Pete nearly got his hand bitten off by a crab??

Social source share

I love that record...

mine is, Baby i need you - T.J. Williams and Two shades of soul - Josie

Nice up beat sound puts me in a good mood. :wicked:

Matt

link

Fantastic choice -why does this not get more plays???

Mine would be 'I Lost A True Love' Danny Wagner My then girl friend bought it me for chrimbo in 1979. She was a beautiful, delicate, frial young woman back then. Now she's my wife and would cave me 'ead in if I got rid of it. :wicked:

Social source share

Belson wrote:

Aug 12 2004, 09:42 AM

Album would be Jean Dushon with 'Make way for Jean Dushon' on 1964 Argo. Just a superb album from start to finish - Hitchhike, Baia, Early one morning.......bootiful!

Belson:

After I read your post, I called Jean DuShon and read your post to her.  She was thrilled and sends her regards directly to you.

Presently, Jean is in rehearsal for the show, RED HOT BROADWAY, in which she will share the bill with Debbie Gibson the former teen queen who grew up and changed to the musical theatre.  Plans are to take the show to Broadway after a tour.

Oliver

link

Oliver.......that's fantastic!! Thanks alot for that - much appreciated. For the record, I met my missus whilst playing Jeans version of 'Hitchhike' out, and her asking what the track was.

And I'm still playing out 'Early one morning' as part of my sets. A very treasured LP in my household! Our love to Jean!!

Social source share

link

Trying to narrow down to my fave is just to bloody hard so I've got the ultimate weepy / oldie: The Demures, Raining Teardrops: The ultimate 60's newie (well it was 20 years ago when Keb played it at Stafford!! Royal Esquires, Playing the part of a fool. by the way does anyone know what it really is, Aint goin a run' or something like that and Fave Modern, Robin's old Freeway to Montaray, Arnold McCullen I think

Duncan Pollett :wicked:

Social source share

Oliver.......that's fantastic!! Thanks alot for that - much appreciated. For the record, I met my missus whilst playing Jeans version of 'Hitchhike' out, and her asking what the track was.

And I'm still playing out 'Early one morning' as part of my sets. A very treasured LP in my household! Our love to Jean!!

link

Jean DuShon seems to be the last to find out about anything that has to do with her career. Recently, I met Mick Patrick, from England -- he's a huge DuShon fan. He and Jean spoke while he was here in New York. When he returned to England, he mailed her and me a CD compilation of some of DuShon's old records. She had forgotten several of them ("Look The Other Way," "Is It Wrong to Be Right") and was shocked when she learned that "Second Class Lover" was a cult favorite throughout Europe. She screamed in horror, "Second Class Lover"!?????? I practically had to scrape her off the ceiling.

She was more pleased to find out that "Feeling Good" is still so respected and aired. And, finally, people are beginning to realize that Jean had the very first recording of "For Once In My Life," not Stevie Wonder, Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra or the zillions of people who have recorded it since.

On the CD from Mick was the record Phil Spector produced for her when she was on Atlantic Records, "Talk To Me." I listened to that ten times in a row! Afterwards, I called Jean and told her how much I loved her version. When she first came out with MAKE WAY FOR JEAN DuSHON, critics welcomed her into the female jazz tight circle which included Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter, Ella Fitzgerald, June Christy, Gloria Lynne, Anita O'Day, Dakota Staton, Carmen McCrae, Peggy Lee and Nancy Wilson. In my opinion, Jean, Dakota and Gloria had a lot of gospel and soul in their voices, especially DuShon, who was brought up in a Detroit Baptist church.

Jean has many "live" recordings she did in nightclubs and they are HOT! Some of her best, most soulful singing. She does an incredible job on Ray Charles' "I Can't Stop Loving You" which is completely different from Ray's. She shared the bill with The Genius at NY's Village Gate once. And, I fell out of my chair with her take on "How Do You Keep The Music Playing." Superb. I'm hoping that these will be released to the public by some wise record company. Now, they are just sitting on her shelf!

Edited by OliverPenn
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert