The Metro Club, Wakefield. 70-71

Just found out about this thread so I thought I'd put my twopenneth in. I was part of the West Yorkshire crowd rowd that went to the Wheel on a regular basis- Kenny Coleman, Rob LeMoine, Dennis Billingham, Flash Atkinson, who must still be playing soul sounds in the clouds but by now has probably learnt that water and electricity don't mix! Steve Welcer,Keith Rylatt, Spock-what was his real name? and many more. When the Wheel was coming up to closing word went round that a club in Wakefield,the Metro, was going to start doing all nighters to fill the gap so after the Wheel's demise we all turned up to see what it was like. It proved to be quite popular to the point that Tony the guy who owned it was overwhelmed and from week two onwards I ended up working at the club either on the door, behind the bar or even spinning some sounds! If I remember correctly the DJ console had a telephone handset for cueing up and I can certainly remember starting one sound off only for the arm to be knocked off the record by a huge drop of condensation falling from the ceiling, a regular occurance unfortunately due to the fact that the place was so small, had so many people in it and no ventilation other than leaving the back door open to let a draught blow through.There were certainly a number of people who played records at the Metro. which I would condider to be deejaying, so even if Soash was the "principle D J " he certainly wasn't the only one. As far as the night of the bust is concerned, as it was Flash's 21st we all opted to go to Keighley that evening and on arriving back at Leeds station all stood on the concourse umming and aahing over whether to go the Wakefield but a shortage of gear persuaded most of us to have an early night for a change. After the place was busted there were rumours going round the scene that we had fingered the place to the " squad " which was why weren't there after having been ever present but nobody ever had the nerve to say it to our faces. Dennis and I started up Hernies in Leeds a few months after, running all-nighters before we got busted ourselves thanks to Flash, who was deejaying for us, thinking he was doing us a favour by appearing on the front page of Saturday's Evening Post pictured running across the moors like a soulfull Julie Andrews with the headline " The Soul Sect is coming to Leeds". This was the name that the papers had given to the nighter crowd at the court case for the Metro. But that's another story. In the meantime I'm on the roster for an hour at the next Central re-union on November 6th, does that make me a deejay or just warmup Willie? So Iook forward to seeing loads of my old souls buddies then, and if anyone knows how to get in touch with Ady Dundas, who I haven't seen for years, I would love to get in touch with him

Edited by easty
Social source share

Whoooops sorry about the above guess it does not like cut and paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read On

After receiving many, many texts from people who used to attend the Metro All-Nighter Sessions, and several people who did not go to these Sessions, all asking me to put the record straight, I thought this seemed an appropriate time and place to put forward one or two of the real facts.

Pete, Swish, Julian, Mick and Roy - most of your facts are spot on - Soash - mmmmmmm - some?

Let's start with the Metro:

First off, I will confirm 100% fact that I did DJ at the Metro All Nighter Sessions.

I will also confirm 100% fact that Keith Atkinson (Flash) DJ'd several times at the Metro All Nighter Sessions.

I will further confirm that my friend, Les Cokell shared a spot with me twice at the Metro Nighter Sessions and I do take exception to the statement and implication that I was one of 'a few kids' that might have got sounds out of their boxes before 11 pm and were 'allowed' to play some records.

I personally did DJ at the Metro All Nighter Sessions, I think, two or three times before the Wheel closed. Then virtually every Saturday, with the exception of the last one, when, as the other guys said, we all went to the birthday bash, and I ended up at Lord Jim's, where Julian was laying down the magic tunes of the day.

I will also tell you that I got paid every time I DJ'd at the Metro by the Owner, (strange that isnt it?)

With regard to the Metro weekday sessions, I have no idea about that or its policy. As far as I was concerned it was a Coffee Bar. I was only interested in the all Nighter thing at the weekends.

You also speak about a young Ian Levine. To the best of my recollection, Ian and Bob, both from Blackpool and both part of our crowd at that time, never went to the Metro - certainly not with us anyway. Again, from memory, the first time I ever remember Ian DJ'ing was at Hernies.

Going back to the Metro - I was, at that time, DJ'ing at the Central twice a week, Blazes in Stockport, and the occasional Thursday nights with Stuart and Tony at Wakefield Mecca opposite the Metro, plus of course the Metro All Nighters - hardly a wannabe!

I will also tell you, your information/recollections regarding the Leeds Clubs and our crowd is way off the mark, you refer to the Bee Gee Club, this was the name it went by only in its very latter days, when there was no music policy there at all, only a jukebox, the dance area downstairs was not used and permanently in the dark. Prior to that, the whole Club was called the Blue Gardenia and the music policy was top drawer. I am also surprised, withyour extensive knowledge of the scene at this time, you fail to mention the iohanas Club in Leeds just off City Square, or slightly earlier the Three Coins or the La Concador, all with brilliant early soul/R&B policies, but enough is enough.

You also posed the question why would Rob Lemoine attend the Metro every Saturday if the Central was open? Most people who were well into the Soul Scene at that time would be able to answer this very simple question. The Central Soul Sessions were on a Friday night at that time - not Saturdays, the Saturday ones started years later. I started DJ'ing at the Central twice a week in about 69, until Joan (the boss) sacked me for opening Hernies with Mick, because all the Soul crowd moved on to Hernies. Joan, to be fair, offered me my old spots back at the Central many times, but I have always been a person who does not like to go back, it never seems the same (but that is just me being me). When I arrived at the Central the music policy was pretty middle of the road, but eventually through the efforts of myself and my fellow DJ's the music started to slowly change into what we all came to know and love as Northern Soul.

Back to the Metro - you talk about the 'hoo-ha' in the Press with regard to water being charged for. What you failed to mention was that most of the 'hoo-ha' was caused by the fact that the Owner had turned off the water taps in the loos, prior to putting the water on sale, which tends to put a rather different perspective on that whole situation!!

Soash - don't take any of his the wrong way. I do not hold any animosity towards you. If you wish to claim to be the great 'I Was' - crack on - no-one is really bothered after all these years! But I will tell you that I have DJ'd from the North of Scotland to the South Coast at just about every major venue promoting Northern Soul over lots and lots of years. I have been an avid record collector, have promoted many venues across the country, brought several major soul artists into the UK and still continue to this day to love the music. So please remember many many other people have contributed their bit over the years too.

To conclude and close this subject:- A quote I think that is quite apt ...... 'Opinions and memories are a bit like backsides and should not always be aired in public'.

Regards and best wishes to all

denis billingham

Social source share

Whoooops sorry about the above guess it does not like cut and paste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read On

After receiving many, many texts from people who used to attend the Metro All-Nighter Sessions, and several people who did not go to these Sessions, all asking me to put the record straight, I thought this seemed an appropriate time and place to put forward one or two of the real facts.

Pete, Swish, Julian, Mick and Roy - most of your facts are spot on - Soash - mmmmmmm - some?

Let's start with the Metro:

First off, I will confirm 100% fact that I did DJ at the Metro All Nighter Sessions.

I will also confirm 100% fact that Keith Atkinson (Flash) DJ'd several times at the Metro All Nighter Sessions.

I will further confirm that my friend, Les Cokell shared a spot with me twice at the Metro Nighter Sessions and I do take exception to the statement and implication that I was one of 'a few kids' that might have got sounds out of their boxes before 11 pm and were 'allowed' to play some records.

I personally did DJ at the Metro All Nighter Sessions, I think, two or three times before the Wheel closed. Then virtually every Saturday, with the exception of the last one, when, as the other guys said, we all went to the birthday bash, and I ended up at Lord Jim's, where Julian was laying down the magic tunes of the day.

I will also tell you that I got paid every time I DJ'd at the Metro by the Owner, (strange that isnt it?)

With regard to the Metro weekday sessions, I have no idea about that or its policy. As far as I was concerned it was a Coffee Bar. I was only interested in the all Nighter thing at the weekends.

You also speak about a young Ian Levine. To the best of my recollection, Ian and Bob, both from Blackpool and both part of our crowd at that time, never went to the Metro - certainly not with us anyway. Again, from memory, the first time I ever remember Ian DJ'ing was at Hernies.

Going back to the Metro - I was, at that time, DJ'ing at the Central twice a week, Blazes in Stockport, and the occasional Thursday nights with Stuart and Tony at Wakefield Mecca opposite the Metro, plus of course the Metro All Nighters - hardly a wannabe!

I will also tell you, your information/recollections regarding the Leeds Clubs and our crowd is way off the mark, you refer to the Bee Gee Club, this was the name it went by only in its very latter days, when there was no music policy there at all, only a jukebox, the dance area downstairs was not used and permanently in the dark. Prior to that, the whole Club was called the Blue Gardenia and the music policy was top drawer. I am also surprised, withyour extensive knowledge of the scene at this time, you fail to mention the iohanas Club in Leeds just off City Square, or slightly earlier the Three Coins or the La Concador, all with brilliant early soul/R&B policies, but enough is enough.

You also posed the question why would Rob Lemoine attend the Metro every Saturday if the Central was open? Most people who were well into the Soul Scene at that time would be able to answer this very simple question. The Central Soul Sessions were on a Friday night at that time - not Saturdays, the Saturday ones started years later. I started DJ'ing at the Central twice a week in about 69, until Joan (the boss) sacked me for opening Hernies with Mick, because all the Soul crowd moved on to Hernies. Joan, to be fair, offered me my old spots back at the Central many times, but I have always been a person who does not like to go back, it never seems the same (but that is just me being me). When I arrived at the Central the music policy was pretty middle of the road, but eventually through the efforts of myself and my fellow DJ's the music started to slowly change into what we all came to know and love as Northern Soul.

Back to the Metro - you talk about the 'hoo-ha' in the Press with regard to water being charged for. What you failed to mention was that most of the 'hoo-ha' was caused by the fact that the Owner had turned off the water taps in the loos, prior to putting the water on sale, which tends to put a rather different perspective on that whole situation!!

Soash - don't take any of his the wrong way. I do not hold any animosity towards you. If you wish to claim to be the great 'I Was' - crack on - no-one is really bothered after all these years! But I will tell you that I have DJ'd from the North of Scotland to the South Coast at just about every major venue promoting Northern Soul over lots and lots of years. I have been an avid record collector, have promoted many venues across the country, brought several major soul artists into the UK and still continue to this day to love the music. So please remember many many other people have contributed their bit over the years too.

To conclude and close this subject:- A quote I think that is quite apt ...... 'Opinions and memories are a bit like backsides and should not always be aired in public'.

Regards and best wishes to all

denis billingham

Think thats klinda piss#d on someones bonfire :lol:

Social source share

I tell you what, Pete

I'm not even reading these posts anymore.This IS my very last word on this. Make of it what you will (and I know you will!)

It's just getting stupid, now.

We've even got a guy saying because I said "Bee Gee", I'm talking bollox. Hello?

Back then, we didn't say "excuse me, sir, would you care to go to the King Mojo Club in Sheffield?" - We said "Are you off t'Mojo?"....

We didn't say "would you possibly consider going to the Twisted Wheel In Manchester? - We said "Are you off t'Wheel?"....

We didn't say "Do you fancy a pint of foaming beverage at the King Charles Tavern on Lands Lane in Leeds, tonite?" - We said "How about the Charles?"

So why the F**K would we say Blue Gardenia when Bee Gee worked just as well?

Let me just say a coupla things.

A) Anybody can do a websearch on the history of Leeds clubs (but don't look too close Pete, cause some of the stuff that you believe just ain't in there).

B) The only mistake I ever made was not to make the kind of noise, back in the day, that you guys make about yourselves now. OH, you guys have DJed everywhere. You are STARS!

I WASN'T a star by any means. I DJed at a couple of clubs in the late 60's (not rocket science really - I was simply in the right place, with a few good records - and I learnt to put a needle in a groove). And then I walked away. I could have decided to make a name for myself. I could have started covering over labels so I could sell the boot pressings for more money. Hey, I could even have done a Ian (let's make a rerecording of that!) Levine decision. But no - I walked away, and didn't realise I was creating a vacuum for "guys that can" to jump into.

C) If I add all of you guys to the list of folks who have emailed me with the same claims, I reckon I have upwards of a dozen guys who were "proper" DJs at the Metro. Hell of a turnover for a club that lasted a matter of months, isn't it?

No, I reckon you were ALL Djs, matey. In fact, you know what, I reckon Tony probably stood on the door, slapping a "DJ" sticker on each of you young lad's foreheads (before you slag that, Pete - if you knocked around with Julie Poynton - you WERE young......) as you walked in, shoved a Johnny Johnson record under your arm, and pushed you towards the record decks. Probably twenty of you guys at any one time on the booth. And you ALL went on to be REAL DJs WHOO WHOO.......

.In fact, I was probably the only one NOT DJing. It was the drugs, I guess.....It was just an acid flash......

So how did it go last night? I know you'll be dying to know.....

Well, Pete, difficult as I know it must be, we managed without you.....

A good mate from Sheffield, a Mojo veteran, said he didn't hear one bad record, and he heard sounds he hadn't heard since 1969...

Another friend from Derby said he hadn't danced so much since 1979...

And the crowd from Rotherham loved it.

And alot of Wakefield folks had a bit of a bop, too.....

But you felt so agrieved that you couldn't come....

So there you go....

As I said before, Pete - I'd love to buy you a drink and talk old times, but you'll have to come down the new Metro to do it - I'm done with the fantasies on here. Bye now

Yours

A very small time DJ with no name :wave:

Edited by soash
Social source share

I know !! its really mad isnt it. All anybody has to do is read the thread from the beginning and it all opens out in front of them. I innocently mentioned right at the start that I been talking to Paul Rowan and mentioned he'd "dj'd" at the Metro. From that point onwards everything I said about the Metro was rubbished by Soash!

I didnt have an agenda, have no interest in making him look bad or insignificant. In fact I only remember his name, couldnt tell him from Adam!! Also I was looking forward to going again until this happened.

I just joined the Metro thread because I'd been and liked it.

Since that everybody who has posted on the thread has supported what I said. I have not prompted them or organised a witchhunt against Soash. At no point have I personally insulted or slagged him off. I was about to leave the thread and say no more, until he started attacking me personally, as well as all the other "liars" on here.

I'm gobsmacked.

Social source share

I didnt have an agenda, have no interest in making him look bad or insignificant.

"I have come to the conclusion that maybe you have become a bit of a legend in your own mind mate. Pity really because the Metro wasnt a bad little club for a few fleeting moments..

Oh, You were the biggest noise in the great Metropolis that is Wakefield. and we are not worthy..

Best thing you can do Pete he's a fucking Walter mitty...Matty

................Thanks ,Matty ".

Sounds perfectly even-handed to me Pete. There must be shum missmake..... :huh: :huh:

Social source share

The main point you are totally ignoring is that despite what you say, nobody has supported you in any way.

Any other people who have joined this thread have done so to add their memories of the Metro and they all agree with me. Ask yourself why???

Why is everybody wrong ? Surely even you must see that we all cant be making it up !

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

What an amazing thread! Fabulous reading.

It's that good it's making me me f**** up this game of internet poker I am playing right now (and I was lacing them).

I'll just add a little.

I met my first love at Leeds central in 1968.

Yes 1968! not 1969 0r amy other time (errh yeah I did meet girls later ) but it was 1968 when I met Ann Leffler.

It was not a "Northern Soul club, as such, but it was a soul club as regarding Stax, Atlantic, Motown.

You all already know that I've known Dennis Billingham, Mick eastwood and Pete Dillon since I was a boy.

Soash,

From what I read you are older than us and went to the Mojo which, all of us would have been too young to go to.

I think I believe you, but you never carried on with the nighter scene like we all did so , obviously we do not know you.

Also, you got to bear in mind that over 40 years memories get fuzzed (Central was 1968 though, that's a fact). On some other threads my memory has got fuzzed. I said CHUCK JACKSON , GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT was never played at the Wheel. Later I looked through my notes of favourite Wheel records , and there it was in Black and white.

I felt feally stupid.

I'll say this though,at this time and in years to come the above mentioned really were the Leeds boys to be around with..

Yes they were!

They don't make up or talk s***

Of course I am biased, because I WAS WITH THEM!

Social source share

What an amazing thread! Fabulous reading.

It's that good it's making me me f**** up this game of internet poker I am playing right now (and I was lacing them).

I'll just add a little.

I met my first love at Leeds central in 1968.

Yes 1968! not 1969 0r amy other time (errh yeah I did meet girls later ) but it was 1968 when I met Ann Leffler.

It was not a "Northern Soul club, as such, but it was a soul club as regarding Stax, Atlantic, Motown.

You all already know that I've known Dennis Billingham, Mick eastwood and Pete Dillon since I was a boy.

Soash,

From what I read you are older than us and went to the Mojo which, all of us would have been too young to go to.

I think I believe you, but you never carried on with the nighter scene like we all did so , obviously we do not know you.

Also, you got to bear in mind that over 40 years memories get fuzzed (Central was 1968 though, that's a fact). On some other threads my memory has got fuzzed. I said CHUCK JACKSON , GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT was never played at the Wheel. Later I looked through my notes of favourite Wheel records , and there it was in Black and white.

I felt feally stupid.

I'll say this though,at this time and in years to come the above mentioned really were the Leeds boys to be around with..

Yes they were!

They don't make up or talk s***

Of course I am biased, because I WAS WITH THEM!

Hi Swish

Great days :lol:

Pity about all the bull shitters I personally blame it on all the books written about the scene, they have become bibles for wannabes.

Social source share

Hi,

Sntich.

Sammy had a lot of kind words for you when I met him on saturday. (quite rightly)

Regarding what people may have read in books, well mine is getting there. Probably won't be finished by Christmas as I promised, cos I've decided to illustrate it now with Membership cards, letters etc.

When it's finished anyone can pretend anything BUT will they know how to sort STELLA DEX out so it became an upper instead of a downer?

Heh heh, that's a good one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi,

Sntich.

Sammy had a lot of kind words for you when I met him on saturday. (quite rightl

Regarding what people may have read in books, well mine is getting there. Probably won't be finished by Christmas as I promised, cos I've decided to illustrate it now with Membership cards, letters etc.

When it's finished anyone can pretend anything BUT will they know how to sort STELLA DEX out so it became an upper instead of a downer?

Heh heh, that's a good one :

Remove those little balls (spansuals????)

Which colour though???? ;)

Social source share

Hi,

Sntich.

Sammy had a lot of kind words for you when I met him on saturday. (quite rightl

Regarding what people may have read in books, well mine is getting there. Probably won't be finished by Christmas as I promised, cos I've decided to illustrate it now with Membership cards, letters etc

Heh heh, that's a good one :

Remove those little balls (spansuals????)

Which colour though???? ;)

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Swish once told me that a legendary guy called Robert from the Shop was the ;Ace Face back 9in the day as he went to the wheel b4 it was ever Twisted and The Torch b4 it was even lit,Swish once told me that this Legendary guy (Robert) attended The 100 club when it was only 78----------I was never lucky enough to meet this guy altho i did once see him in The Duncan pub in Leeds but due to his ;God like reputation i didn,t dare approach him!

T.c

Edited by topcatnumpty1
Social source share

Swish once told me that a legendary guy called Robert from the Shop was the ;Ace Face back 9in the day as he went to the wheel b4 it was ever Twisted and The Torch b4 it was even lit,Swish once told me that this Legendary guy (Robert) attended The 100 club when it was only 78----------I was never lucky enough to meet this guy altho i did once see him in The Duncan pub in Leeds but due to his ;God like reputation i didn,t dare approach him!

T.c

now then tony, which torch are we talking about here

Social source share

Reminiscing 1968

Top meeting place in Manchester used to be the Dolphin 9.30pm on a Saturday night for your pharmaceutical needs. Smith Kline and French or Rika then of to the. Top Twenty. (actually better than the Wheel) Because there was an all dayer on the Sunday.Turfed out at 8am to Bessie Banks Go Now and back in at 9am great days.

Great days

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I recon the best meeting place before the wheel, for all your medical needs was the Queens, and I agree the The Top Twenty was top draw, but I had forgotten about the out at 8.00 back in at 9.00, strange how time plays tricks on the bits you remember.......... well I think it it time that causes all the memory loss hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Social source share

Hi Swish ........ I have loads of old posters and stuff some place, if you need any for your Book just let me know

db

PS. do you still have my Wheel Card !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha

Dennis,

I may have, not sure but i have your Catacombs card. Why would i have that?

I really do though. In fact I have my card your card and introduction form for an other old mate. Not sure why i got them.

Social source share

Hi Swish ........ I have loads of old posters and stuff some place, if you need any for your Book just let me know

db

Dennis,

I really do though. In fact I have my card your card and introduction form for an other old mate. Not sure why i got them.

T.c

Tony,

You have written that absolutely off your bonce mate. I know at the time it seems real funny, but really its crap. Sorry it is.

Still love you though, you old git.

See you at next Central. ( I don't have to blag my way in this time HA HA HA HA )

Social source share

db

Dennis,

T.c

Tony,

You have written that absolutely off your bonce mate. I know at the time it seems real funny, but really its crap. Sorry it is.

Still love you though, you old git.

See you at next Central. ( I don't have to blag my way in this time HA HA HA HA )

Social source share

I've spent over an hour reading this thread again (and I ain't blocked)

I have come to this conclusion.

Soash,

You are a liar and a ding (it was dingler in our day).

I can't believe you have the audacity to argue with people like us who have been solid friends for 40 years and say we are all wrong and you are right.

I'll put this to you then what were the top 20 sounds at THE METRO (in your opinion?)

NO YOU ARENT ALLOWED TO LOOK THEM UP ON INTERNET

(Although you probably will try to, just like one two other people who do.).

I still say this though, whatever you come up with (and you had better really think about it|) this thread has given me immense enjoyment talking to all my pals , and the memories.

Including TC who is too young to have been there when we were but his company is superb.

Swish

Edited by Swish
Social source share

Soash,

I can't believe you have the audacity to argue with people like us who have been solid friends for 40 years and say we are all wrong and you are right.

I'll put this to you then what were the top 20 sounds at THE METRO (in your opinion?)

I still say this though, whatever you come up with (and you had better really think about it|) this thread has given me immense enjoyment talking to all my pals , and the memories.

Including TC who is too young to have been there when we were but his company is superb.

wish

Social source share

I don't mean to double or treble post, its just different to other forums I go on.

On others there is just a delete buton and gets rid of it.

On here its, well just not clear , sorry

Social source share

Soash,

wish

Spot on Swish I am sick of all the dick heads that have hijacked our scene ..

Social source share

Soash,

wish

Spot on Swish I am sick of all the dick heads that have hijacked our scene ..

Social source share

• 4 years later...
Guest Rob Le Moine

Slash! John! It's Rob le moine ..ex leeds and still in Los angeles.

what's your contact info pal. 310 968 3636 is my mobile in usa and personal e mail is lemoinerob@gmail.com

kenny and I often talk and on occasion your ears must burn! 

best as ever

Social source share

Guest Rob Le Moine

hello everyone!  This is Rob le moine....still alive and ok..and living in Los angeles.....and soash was in my opinion the regular DJ at the metro bistro ( which I went to regularly during its short life) but I can also recall my pal  Dennis billingham  on the DJ stand too. It is however certainly vague .....as Mick Eastwood and I had a nice business going on so we were often distracted! Ian levine was there ...the night it got busted. Soash is john daly ..great guy...( and I don't recall him ever being argumentative) worked at ravel on commercial st in leeds and a big pal of Kenny Coleman. That's how I met him. 

I loved my visits to the  wheel.....with Kenny Coleman...mick Eastwood...Dennis..alan Stevenson...phil Beadnell ...dave 'sandy' shaw , steve Heinz too...all ex bg-ers. I went  often to lord jims to see julian...black pool Mecca a few times in kennys  car......the bg in my scooter days...enw55d was my pacemaker special! I went to the top twenty..a couple of times..first time I had the horrors after taking speed....normie baths..a lot...a pub in keighley...old Mecca in leeds on Mondays...the new mecca on Sunday's and my first club was the Locarno in wakefield! I don't recall going to the central ...but maybe I did! Certainly not before 1971...although we all  met at the corn exchange on sat nights before we went to parties on our scooters. ...and I recall that the central is close by. 

My my mobile is 310 968 3636 and my personal e mail is lemoinerob@gmail.com . Happy to add my tuppence! 

Keep the faith! 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!