jonbuck

• Replies 14
  • Views 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest the dukester

Glad you confimred the lyrics because I always wondered this too - i just thought perhaps i always misheard it!

Wouldn't mind a copy of this if any ones got a spare? :-)

HAVE A GREEN LABEL STEPHANE 2 ISSUE YOU CAN HAVE ?? :D

Social source share

Didnt think they reissued it thats all, :D got a green one me-self.... :D

So Back to my Original Question, Why would Someone, Supposedly from Detroit be Singing about Fish & Chips & Calling it A Groove ????

Jon Buck

Edited by jonbuck
Social source share

So Back to my Original Question, Why would Someone, Supposedly from Detroit be Singing about Fish & Chips & Calling it A Groove ????

Jon Buck

You must remember that large numbers of black americans were camped in Britain during WW2 and when they were allowed out almost the only food they could find to eat out was fish and chips which wasn't rationed....although very limited openning hours ......so that's possibly why they have fond memories of them.....................as to why "a Groove"....no idea.....

Social source share

Funkadelic did a track called Fish, Chips & Sweat wink.gif maybe after all these years we find out that fish and chips actually came from the states...

Didn't George Clinton co write "Baby Thats A Groove" ? Lets face it he's on the eccentric side so no reason he shouldn't write about anything really like ooooh, the electric spanking of war babies. And I wonder if the reference has something to do with "cup of tea' which is another unlikely phrase that crops up in soul records sometimes. English acts had been big in the US so it's not inconceivable that it is just a gimmick associated with that.

I'm hungry now ! Think I'll put the kettle on.

PS - my bootleg copy of the 45 (the thirtieth Northern 45 ever bought) has "Monkey See, Monkey Do" a great San Remo-esque instrumental but its all off centre and speeds up towards the end. Are the real ones like that and if not has somone got an mp.3 ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!