DUKES

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm more used to sending from Japan, rather than to here...but if mailing from the UK may I recommend you send it 'International Recorded', which is internet trackable (when it hits this side) and requires a signature on arrival...about £7.50 for maling a well-packed 7", at a guess?

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'm more used to sending from Japan, rather than to here...but if mailing from the UK may I recommend you send it 'International Recorded', which is internet trackable (when it hits this side) and requires a signature on arrival...about £7.50 for maling a well-packed 7", at a guess?

Dave, there's a few errors there. First there is no "International Recorded" service. Normally for overseas there are two options either --

International Signed For

Airsure

Airsure is tracked overseas, the last scan is at the destinations delivery office, not the postie who delivers it. The cost for Airsure is ---

Airmail Small Packet (at whatever weight it is) plus £5.30 (insured up to basic £46) plus added insurance up to £500 which costs yet another £2.50 on top. Basically to insure over £46 will cost an extra £7.80 on top of normal Airmail cost.

However, we can discount Airsure as it's only available for a few countries and Japan isn't one of them.

To Japan that leaves us with either bog standard Airmail or "International Signed For"

International Signed For is tracked only in the UK. The last scan is at the UK's International Processing Centre before it goes on the plane. It is not scanned (tracked) overseas but a signature is required from someone at the delivery address (not neccessarily the same person it's addressed to).

Cost of International Signed For is -----

Airmail Small Packet (at whatever weight it is) plus £4.95 (insured up to basic £46) plus added insurance up to £500 which costs yet another £2.50 on top. Basically to insure over £46 will cost an extra £7.45 on top of normal Airmail cost.

All the above can be sussed on Royal Mail's site.

https://www.royalmail...diaId=118600858

Not very good, in fact it's shite but that's how it is.

A very good, very quick and easy calculator below for both home and overseas costs. Worth saving as favourites for anyone who regularly mails items.

https://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/

Does not give Airsure but gives "International Signed For" at the basic rate.

:yes:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Dave, there's a few errors there. First there is no "International Recorded" service. Normally for overseas there are two options either --

International Signed For

International Signed For is tracked only in the UK. The last scan is at the UK's International Processing Centre before it goes on the plane. It is not scanned (tracked) overseas but a signature is required from someone at the delivery address (not neccessarily the same person it's addressed to).

Apologies for incorrect terminology, people!

However, internet tracking is indeed possible once it arrives in Japan, as the Post Office over here then takes over the parcel and allocates it a new code...a bit like Parcelforce take over when parcels reach the UK.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Apologies for incorrect terminology, people!

However, internet tracking is indeed possible once it arrives in Japan, as the Post Office over here then takes over the parcel and allocates it a new code...a bit like Parcelforce take over when parcels reach the UK.

I wasn't being picky over terminology Dave, just trying to be factual. Again not being picky you use the words Parcel and Parcel Force which is different to Small Packet and Royal Mail. Royal Mail and Parcel Force are two seperate entities. For example an incoming PARCEL from overseas can be tracked on Parcel Force site with the originating country's code whereas an incoming Small Packet cannot be tracked on Royal Mail's Track & Trace site.

You're over there so know the score as far as Japan goes so no doubt I'm wrong with how Japan Track & Trace incoming Small Packets

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

I wasn't being picky over terminology Dave, just trying to be factual. Again not being picky you use the words Parcel and Parcel Force which is different to Small Packet and Royal Mail. Royal Mail and Parcel Force are two seperate entities. For example an incoming PARCEL from overseas can be tracked on Parcel Force site with the originating country's code whereas an incoming Small Packet cannot be tracked on Royal Mail's Track & Trace site.

We'll get there in the end! biggrin.gif

When I mail from Japan to the UK, parcels seem to go into the hands of Parcel Force on arrival in the UK, and they allocate a new parcel code which is still trackable on the Japanese website. The other thing I do know is that the delivery time from doorstep to doorstep can take as little as 3 days...not bad for travelling most of the way around the world!

I hope Dukes has sussed it all out by now!?!

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Thanks for all the advice guys, Finally sent it on Tuesday.....

FYI...

it cost me £7.50.... plus insurance which took it up to £10.65.

:hatsoff2:

Cheers

Dukes

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!