Pal & The Prophets / Pal Rakes

Dean

Recently didn't win this Pal Rakes and The Prophets on ebay. Never made the link to Pal and The Prophets Peace Pipe until reminded of Can't Deny The Hurt when seen on ebay. Completely different sound but obvious link (Peace Pipe also written by P.Rakes).

In the days of instrumentals Peace Pipe picked up a few play but not for many years to these ears (with the exception of an early spot at Annesley one night!!)

post-5677-0-05665900-1305377182_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-93061400-1305377262_thumb.jp

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest martyn

Recently didn't win this Pal Rakes and The Prophets on ebay. Never made the link to Pal and The Prophets Peace Pipe until reminded of Can't Deny The Hurt when seen on ebay. Completely different sound but obvious link (Peace Pipe also written by P.Rakes).

In the days of instrumentals Peace Pipe picked up a few play but not for many years to these ears (with the exception of an early spot at Annesley one night!!)

If I remember right Peace Pipe was played slowed down as Space Odysse by Luther Ingram . I think it was booted in that format as well .......Can anyone else confirm ?

What does Peace Pipe fetch these days anyway ?

Social source share

If I remember right Peace Pipe was played slowed down as Space Odysse by Luther Ingram . I think it was booted in that format as well .......Can anyone else confirm ?

Star Odyssey actually . Booted on a green HIB label with gold print. Same tune each side.

Social source share

Thanks again for the great info. I do like the UPTIGHT scan.

What struck me to start this topic was the difference in style (hard to discuss acurate difference between vocals and instrumentals, but going on gut feeling to the sound) between the Jamie Pal and the Prophets, the Verve Pal Rakes and The Prophets and the Warner Bros Pal Rakes which is a much more obvious country sound. Hard to credit the same people, admire the variety though. Must admit the Star Odyssey HIB boot had completely passed me by, didn't know anyhting about that. Don't think I've ever seen or heard?

Social source share

Thanks again for the great info. I do like the UPTIGHT scan.

What struck me to start this topic was the difference in style (hard to discuss acurate difference between vocals and instrumentals, but going on gut feeling to the sound) between the Jamie Pal and the Prophets, the Verve Pal Rakes and The Prophets and the Warner Bros Pal Rakes which is a much more obvious country sound. Hard to credit the same people, admire the variety though. Must admit the Star Odyssey HIB boot had completely passed me by, didn't know anyhting about that. Don't think I've ever seen or heard?

Dean,you can buy my copy on Uptight if you want.!!!.Its got "Old Shep" on the reverse....:yes:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest martyn

Star Odyssey actually . Booted on a green HIB label with gold print. Same tune each side.

Nearly right then ! :yes: Was it 76 when this got done or earlier ?

Social source share

What does Peace Pipe fetch these days anyway ?

===========

peace pipe was a russ spin at wigan

fetches 15-20...

Social source share

Guest martyn

Much later - Stafford era

I remember Mick Smith playing it at a soul night in Bedford around 76 Pete (the slowed down version that is ) . Think John Vincent (or could be Ginger) used to play it at St Ives around that time as well - If it was played at Stafford it would have been 2nd time around

Social source share

I remember Mick Smith playing it at a soul night in Bedford around 76 Pete (the slowed down version that is ) . Think John Vincent (or could be Ginger) used to play it at St Ives around that time as well - If it was played at Stafford it would have been 2nd time around

I was replying as to when the bootleg was done

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert