New Member - Lorraine Chandler

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome to Soul Source. Here's a photo of you that I took at Great Yarmouth, with a very young Mark Bicknell in the back ground :hatsoff2:

post-1175-0-99614800-1305783756_thumb.jp

Dave,

What can I say? A young Mark and a young Lorraine. Aren't we cute? I have the lovely oily skin with pimples (I want the oily skin back!) and the smile that you all put on my face. Thanks for the photo.

Lorraine

Social source share

Well hello my dear and welcome to Soul Source. Long time no speak. Hope you are well and still "cooking". I'm sure you'll have fun on here :hatsoff2:

Steve Handbury (Manifesto)

Hey Steve,

Yep, I'm still cooking (can't you tell?). It's good hearing from you. Are you behaving yourself? I'm having a ball on this site!

Lorraine

Social source share

Welcome Lorraine.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say you've brought so much joy to all of us over the years and that it's an honour for us to know that you're sat back and soaking up the adoration because it is truly heartfelt and soooo deserved.

My favourite tracks of yours? I can't hold on, She don't want you and You only live twice.

Enjoy the site. It's truly wonderful to know you're with us all on here.

Steve C

Looking at your logo. I truly miss Levi. "Baby I Need Your Loving" is one of my all time favorites. I went through two 45's (my father went through one because it reminded him of my mother!). Anyhow, thanks for the compliments.

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello Lorraine,

It's nice to see you here on soulsource. It's a great place and I hope you're enjoying talking with your friends - new and old.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

How come this one was recorded by Nancy and Willie at very different tempos? Which came first? There must be a story there.

Welcome to Soul Source, it's a wonderful meeting place.

Ady

Ady,

Willie was before Nancy. Each artist has their own 'thang' and you try and bring it out of them. Therefore, the same song done different ways. I didn't hear Yvonne Baker's "I Can't Change" until after I recorded it. It's the same, but different.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

It is normal for new members to post up a few details about themselves but the mods seemed to have forgotten the rules....:hatsoff2:

Great to have you on here....

mx

Mx

Oh, oh. What rule have I broken now? Thanks for the welcome.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hey Lorraine, the pleasure is all ours here trust me yes.gif

Someone mentioned you should write a book, maybe thats too much to ask but when you've got time, any stories about the 60s music scene in Detroit would be most welcome on here :hatsoff2:

Anything you can remember we'd be interested in reading, the people, the music- anything really.

All the best thumbup.gif

Steve,

Don't know about a book, but song by song I could conjure up some memories. We have time though. I think I'm in trouble by taking up too much time and space on this site. I think I broke a rule. Don't want to get kicked off before I get started.

Lorraine

Social source share

Good Lord, awoken to blue skies (it is late Spring) and found Lorraine Chandler aboard Soul Source. All is well with the world!

Lorraine, when I feel like blowing the cobwebs and 'educating' my neighbours, I open the living room windows and blast 'em with 'I Can't Hold On', a record I fell in love with, like most of us on here, many, many moons ago. These records are as much a part of our lives as riding a bike for the first time, that first date, walking out of the school gates for the last time etc etc. I'm rambling. A big kiss and hug from Spain, enjoy this fiesta of love! :-)

Mac

p.s. Give Eddie P his orders too! He's another one that educates the neighbours from time to time... :hatsoff2:

Mac,

I'll take that hug from Spain. Glad Eddie and I was in the 'hood' with you! Thank you. Eddie was so hard to record, but once you got it, you had it. He jumped all over the studio, didn't stay in the mike and trying to get him to sit still now is the same. I'll try.

Lorraine

Social source share

Ms Chandler, how genuinely wonderful to have you on here yes.gif An iconic voice (and personality) for all of us. Can you feel the love ? biggrin.gif

All respect to you for joining the forum.

Alison

I feel the love and trying to give some back. Thanks Alison for the welcome.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

May I say a heartfelt welcome to Soulsource, from your Legions of fans, both in the U.K. & Abroad. Your recordings to me, like many others have been an inspiration, however did you record under any other names. I was told that Deniece Chandler on the Lock label was you. ??

Best Regards, Ricardo. :hatsoff2:

Hi Ricardo,

No other names. Never on the Lock label. However, I have heard other people singing my songs and using my name and it made me very unhappy. But Lorraine Chandler is the only name I have ever recorded under.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

It's nice to see you here on soulsource. It's a great place and I hope you're enjoying talking with your friends - new and old.

Best wishes,

Paul

Hi Paul,

It's great to be here and yes, I'm truly enjoying this.

Lorraine

Social source share

Looking at your logo. I truly miss Levi. "Baby I Need Your Loving" is one of my all time favorites. I went through two 45's (my father went through one because it reminded him of my mother!). Anyhow, thanks for the compliments.

Lorraine

We've got the 100 Club all-nighter on in London this Saturday and we'll be playing it as the last record at 6am when everyone's going home after a soul and dance filled night; it gets emotional every time.

Ady

Social source share

Guest GARV

Hi Lorraine

Its a real honour to say hello to you & be able to tell you how much your recordings have given so much joy & pleasure to my life, like everyone on here i hope you can find the time to tell us of your experiences when recording your music.

Welcome to Soul Source .

Garv

Social source share

Me... behaving. I always behave myself. I just happen to live life on the border of naughtiness :hatsoff2:

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yep, I'm still cooking (can't you tell?). It's good hearing from you. Are you behaving yourself? I'm having a ball on this site!

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest jerrio

"Free", "I've Got The Next Dance", "it's Gonna Take A Miracle", "Let's Hear it For The Boy" etc. etc.

Nice one,thank you for that,you learn something new every day.

Social source share

Steve,

Don't know about a book, but song by song I could conjure up some memories. We have time though. I think I'm in trouble by taking up too much time and space on this site. I think I broke a rule. Don't want to get kicked off before I get started.

Lorraine

nah, Lorraine

dont know what rbman was on about or why he posted such but there's certainly no need for you to worry about taking up time and space

if any of the site team do have any concerns, then one would drop you a line

this thread is like a breath of fresh air

keep at it thumbsup.gif

mike

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You have to forgive Martin's (RBMan) sense of humour. It comes from years of watching Tottenham Hotspur.

He was making a joke about introducing yourself as a new member, when just about everyone would know who Lorraine is. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest ang b
:thumbsup: Hello & welcome to Ss Lorraine, it,s a pleasure to have you as a member with us on here, youre our special lady who has given us a lot of pleasure listening to you over many years xxx
Social source share

do you keep in touch with any other artist you recorded with or were on rca at the same era as yourself? regards peter

Hey Peter,

For those still around like Sandra Feva (Richardson) and Eddie Parker. I have seen some re-surface, like the Hesitations, the Metros. Most have moved to warmer climates, while others are in heaven.

Lorraine

Social source share

Deniece Chandler = Deniece Williams .

Tried to add this to post #167. Sorry !

If you're talking about the same 'Niecy' who recorded with Johnny Mathis. We are two different people and I don't think she would record under my name. To sing with Johnny Mathis, I would pretend to be her though!

Lorraine

Social source share

Lorraine, there's more than a few of us who'd love to hear those early piano demos! :thumbsup:

Yeah, me singing flat, then sharp trying to get the melody. Hearing someone scream at me and me talking when I should be singing. I don't think so! Learning new material isn't at all flattering! :yes:

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hi Lorraine

Its a real honour to say hello to you & be able to tell you how much your recordings have given so much joy & pleasure to my life, like everyone on here i hope you can find the time to tell us of your experiences when recording your music.

Welcome to Soul Source .

Garv

Hi Garv,

I told Jack (Ashford) how I love singing the songs now. I hear them differently, maybe because I'm use to them, but I truly like them much better now! I love the changes, slightly jazzy, and of course the music. Back then, we were kicking them out, like production. I was lucky to have Mike Terry and Jack to launch me.

Lorraine

Social source share

You have to forgive Martin's (RBMan) sense of humour. It comes from years of watching Tottenham Hotspur.

He was making a joke about introducing yourself as a new member, when just about everyone would know who Lorraine is. :thumbsup:

Oh, OK. I was getting a llittle nervous. Not that I know who Tottenham Hotspur is.

Lorraine

Social source share

:thumbsup: Hello & welcome to Ss Lorraine, it,s a pleasure to have you as a member with us on here, youre our special lady who has given us a lot of pleasure listening to you over many years xxx

Hi Ang b,

Thank you for the welcome. It has truly been my pleasure to do so.

Lorraine

Social source share

Bloody hell I,m offline for a day or two and what happens Lorraine Chandler turns up fantastic :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard Lorraine and thanks for providing some of the soundtrack of my youth .

All the best Mark

Hey Mark,

Ugh, my youth too! Thanks for the welcome and it's not over yet!

Lorraine

Social source share

If you're talking about the same 'Niecy' who recorded with Johnny Mathis. We are two different people and I don't think she would record under my name. To sing with Johnny Mathis, I would pretend to be her though!

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

I was trying to point out that Deniece Williams' real name is Deniece Chandler. I think someone thought she might have been you because of the same

last name.

Social source share

Oh, OK. I was getting a llittle nervous. Not that I know who Tottenham Hotspur is.

Lorraine

you dont want to know who tottenham hotspur are,:thumbup: from now on your are a EVERTON fan (soccer team) :hatsoff2: ( thats official ):yes: so say after me LORRAINE i support EVERTON ...:yes: ..what a fantastic response you have had from everybody on soul source .....you have made lots of people VERY HAPPY ....:thumbsup:

Edited by staceys dad
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy,

Are you the birthday boy? If so, happy, happy! From one Taurean (April 29) to another, enjoy!

Yes, I do remember recording them. It was a fun time thinking you could sing, but really couldn't (I had so much to learn) but I was so enthusiastic about the music industry. I wanted to do it all, sing, write, and produce. Jack Ashford and Mike Terry took the time to bring out the best I could give. I love the shuffle feel of "What Can I Do" to Mike Terry's incredible solo on "She Don't Want You." Actually the band tracks turned me on. Those musicians were incredible! They made the songs come alive. To hear the piano version and the end result. Great arrangers like Herbie Williams, Joe Hunter, Paul Reiser, etc., all played a part to making it sound better. Many stories here, not enough time to tell.

Lorraine

good evening Lorraine and yes i was the birthday boy and thank you very much for the Happy Birthday post you made and after having an amazing day then to come on here and see your post it really did make my birthday sooo much more special :hatsoff2:

thanks for the reply Lorraine you really are a legend :yes:

i dont know if i speak for any others on our Soul Scene but sometimes when i hold a new record in my hands for the first time i feel a sense of being part of its life and history and often try to think what it would of been like in that recording studio with all the singers, musicians, arrangers, producers etc etc etc, so any more stories would be greatly recieved and there is all the time in the world we are all loving this thread and the excitement and joy you have bought to this superb Site, wow im chatting to LC :D

Social source share

Hi Loarraine - it is fantastic that you have joined this sight and the response you are getting from us all hopefully gives you a taste of the esteem in which we all hold you - thankyou so much for responding to all the posts individually!! wow - absolute class!!

adam

Social source share

Hi again Lorraine!

Just a quick question for you- I know "What Can I Do" was first released on Giant. How did RCA get involved and end up signing you to the label ?

Hey Yank,

I was a little, little girl singing and RCA was looking for talent to embellish their 'soul' sound. "What Can I Do" made a little noise around Chicago and Detroit area and the A/R people of RCA went to Jack Ashford, Mike Terry and Shelley Haimes to make the deal. Because I was a little, little girl, Jack would have to tell you the story. I wasn't part of the deal making then. I was only the little, little artist! :hatsoff2:

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Loarraine - it is fantastic that you have joined this sight and the response you are getting from us all hopefully gives you a taste of the esteem in which we all hold you - thankyou so much for responding to all the posts individually!! wow - absolute class!!

adam

Adam,

Because of the time difference, I'm getting a kick out of this too! Thank you for the kind words. It took me a while to get here, but I'm surprised no other artist did this (or have they?). You all are fantastic!

Lorraine

Social source share

Hey Yank,

I was a little, little girl singing and RCA was looking for talent to embellish their 'soul' sound. "What Can I Do" made a little noise around Chicago and Detroit area and the A/R people of RCA went to Jack Ashford, Mike Terry and Shelley Haimes to make the deal. Because I was a little, little girl, Jack would have to tell you the story. I wasn't part of the deal making then. I was only the little, little artist! :hatsoff2:

Lorraine

Fair enough- I was only a little, little boy at the time the record came out. :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!