Notre Dame Hall Leicester Sq

Guest Kent Soul Girl

Guest uroffal

No that would've been the Penny Black that Ion and myself ran under the Soultown banner in 85 or/ 86, we used to hire Ady's gear and pick it up from his old flat in Langham St., which also involved carting the gear up 5 floors of very narrow staircase!

Penny Black of course (unlike Gene my memory is shot to pieces), think the Red Carved Lion may have been on during my break in the mid '80s as can't remember it all.

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest uroffal

I got the bug and not long after started me own nights

Sols arms on hampstead rd was the first,Mod nights but playing black music from the 50/60s

Still got the flyers i made up at work somewhere.

Tonys nights at the penny black were great we got the venue and started the reggae shack there in 86

Great days to be a teenager

Al H :hatsoff2:

Hi Alan,

Hope you are good too mate! Wasn't there another brief northen night at the Sols Arms somewhere between 82-86 (might have been a Dick Coombes or Cockney Mick thing, don't think it lasted, but remember going at least once and don't think it was the night you're referring to, but could be wrong).

Social source share

Guest paulf

Gene,

30 years and despite my poor memory since reading this thread it actually seems like it was only a few years ago!

Hi Gary mate - I think you have remembered more than I have forgot (then all the tunes come flooding back). Hello to Mark and Ion too.

They were certaintly good times. I seem to recollect that it was probably some of us that got the venue (notre dame) shut down for under age drinking. I am fairly sure I was only 13 when I ventured there with Lenny and Kieran from the depths of Clapham. I remember Terry Stokes down there and trying to sell Keb records from my recently acquired Soul Bowl hundred pack for 25p each (ok I accept the Dodgy monika but I only did it to buy more records and go to more soul dos).

I also remember Eddie Piller and Mappy down there and also our school Face turning up who was in a Mod band and I tried to audtion to be a singer. Despite learning the lyrics to I can't Explian it was not to be.

I noticed that someone is currently trying arrange a Castle (Tooting) Reunion. This was also one of my first exposure to Northern and Rare(ish) soul which again use to be a night that Simon Cento use to run every Sunday with Brent. That also exposed me to the scootering scene that was emerging at the time. The sight of fully chromed up and cut down lambrettas and the smell of 2-stroke never left me.

I was at a little Northern do on Saturday that me old mate Jeff Valle (fellow Crystal Palace fan) was running on Saturday at Scooter woorks in Lower Marsh, Waterloo. Nice little basement. Val was meant to DJ but I understand she had fallen off her bike - Get well soon Val if you are on here!

Social source share

Guest paulf

I really regret not hanging on to those flyers, but over the years they've gone.

Mark do you remember the one I had on my wall with the tagline "Soul as deep as you like" and a Beverly Ann "You've Got Your Mind.." scan on it!?

T

I've still got most of my memberships, along with bags of flyers and a matching set of youth travel card photos!

Social source share

Hi Alan,

Hope you are good too mate! Wasn't there another brief northen night at the Sols Arms somewhere between 82-86 (might have been a Dick Coombes or Cockney Mick thing, don't think it lasted, but remember going at least once and don't think it was the night you're referring to, but could be wrong).

Myself & Ion also did a couple at Sol's Arms, just to add to the confusion!

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Hi Gary mate - I think you have remembered more than I have forgot (then all the tunes come flooding back). Hello to Mark and Ion too.

They were certaintly good times. I seem to recollect that it was probably some of us that got the venue (notre dame) shut down for under age drinking. I am fairly sure I was only 13 when I ventured there with Lenny and Kieran from the depths of Clapham. I remember Terry Stokes down there and trying to sell Keb records from my recently acquired Soul Bowl hundred pack for 25p each (ok I accept the Dodgy monika but I only did it to buy more records and go to more soul dos).

I also remember Eddie Piller and Mappy down there and also our school Face turning up who was in a Mod band and I tried to audtion to be a singer. Despite learning the lyrics to I can't Explian it was not to be.

I noticed that someone is currently trying arrange a Castle (Tooting) Reunion. This was also one of my first exposure to Northern and Rare(ish) soul which again use to be a night that Simon Cento use to run every Sunday with Brent. That also exposed me to the scootering scene that was emerging at the time. The sight of fully chromed up and cut down lambrettas and the smell of 2-stroke never left me.

I was at a little Northern do on Saturday that me old mate Jeff Valle (fellow Crystal Palace fan) was running on Saturday at Scooter woorks in Lower Marsh, Waterloo. Nice little basement. Val was meant to DJ but I understand she had fallen off her bike - Get well soon Val if you are on here!

Hello mate, how are things? I hope all is well.

Nice to see you're still on here, not seen you post for some time.

Most of the punters were under 16 weren't they - I was just 16 (1982) and a lot of them were younger than me. The old Soul Bowl hundred pack - :thumbsup: I must have done this about 10 times between '82 - '84, £25 for a 100 singles and there was some great stuff in them (a fair few things that I've seen for £100+ these days) - I used to get Terry (Stokes) to sell them for me. Remember I used to stick them in card sleeves with 'Classic' or 'Wigan Monster' written on them and charge £3-£5 a pop (they were bargains look at the prices some of these things fetch now )? Great days, a real laugh. The 'Dodgy' monicker is more to do with you paying me in 2p stamps and Soul Bowl credit note for an outstanding £2 debt than your record dealing :D

Is that the Castle in Tooting Broadway? I used go there, but it wasn't anything to do with Simon when I went there - nor did it play much soul, except towards the end of me going ('81) it had started to play 'Ghost In My House' and 'Wade in the Water' - alongside live perfomances from Flat 19 (local boys and a firm favourite down there).

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Myself & Ion also did a couple at Sol's Arms, just to add to the confusion!

It must've been those that I'm thinking of then, would have been about '85/'86 I think?

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Hi Tony

Londons chosen mass did some great venues back then

can you jog my memory?

I remember the one on the strand ,i bought that lovely rca issue of Roy Hamilton you shook me up of you.

Speaking to Ion about your nights last week down in Brighton

Always quality djs and tunes

Cheers mate

Al H :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Al,

Chosen Mass was Ion and Sean Mccluskey, Soultown was Ion & myself, things were a bit more fluid and ah hoc then so my recollection of dates/venue etc. gets bit mixed up :lol:

The Strand venue was The Dance Centre International, I bankrolled the bar that night! Yes I remember RH issues think I bagged 5 of 'em in total good days.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I remember knowing this was from a UK play and probably who it was by when being played covered so it's more than likely it was something to do with him as he went away once and left Lenny, Kieron, Paul F and me 'in charge' of his little record stall in Robot (:lol: ) - think we uncovered everything he had covered

If anyone has a contact number or address for Kieron I'd much appreciate a PM. We used to be very good friends until I lost contact with him when I moved out of the Brixton area. I'd like to know how he is fairing these days.

Best

Kev.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest mrs norman maine

Soultown was Ion & myself

Aah yes, purveyors of quality souvenirs.

Here's one I got from your Penny Black night, I believe.

post-2765-0-05537800-1310588079_thumb.jp

Novelty comb. In the shape of a tiny record. Beautiful AND functional.

I have a version in Vinyl Black as well as the Hot Pink number shown. Mint. Offers, anyone?

Fortunately, the music was of a far higher standard.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Aah yes, purveyors of quality souvenirs.

Here's one I got from your Penny Black night, I believe.

post-2765-0-05537800-1310588079_thumb.jp

Novelty comb. In the shape of a tiny record. Beautiful AND functional.

I have a version in Vinyl Black as well as the Hot Pink number shown. Mint. Offers, anyone?

Fortunately, the music was of a far higher standard.

I had one of those, long since lost - like my hair so wouldn't have a use for it now anyways :thumbsup:

Social source share

I remember the Notre Dame Hall in the early '80s with fond memories. I played a few spots there around 1983 - even once stood in for Toski while he was on holiday, and also played at the final night which was interrupted by a police raid. I believe the abundance of under-age drinkers caused its closure.

As well as Toski, Keb and Simon Cento, other DJs were Gary (who used to play the first hour) and Sean. I can remember Simon Cento's cover-up obsession, and him playing "Your Love It Won Me Over" by Cookie Scott as "Love Won Me Over" by Peggy Rogers.....aww, bless him! As if we wouldn't have noticed!

And as a final memory jerker, the Notre Dame was the first place I heard Keb's cover-ups of the day, such as:

Take It From Me - Trade Martin (Take It From Me Girl - The Buck Rogers Movement)

I'm Leaving You Now - Vernon Garrett (This Is It - Ron Baxter)

You're On Top Girl - Johnny Cole (You're On Top Girl - The Empires)

Look Ahead - Maurice Williams (Look Ahead - Gordon Keith)

Baby You Know It - The Chandlers (You Got What I Want - The Ebonies)

I Wanna Know - Lou Pride (Why - Willie Mason & All The Kings Men)

I used to help Gary on the early spot, not sure if I'm the Sean you're referring to or if there was another guy playing later. Gary had been looking for people with a few records who could do a spot, and whilst I had some good records from soul packs and junk shops, I didn't have the confidence of fronting it! Loved these days - not just the buzz of playing records, but just the fact that new stuff was coming out all the time and not just new releases. Your list of Keb's cover ups gives a great feel of the time - he gave me a tape from a guy called Steve Pullman that just had the most brilliant stuff on it that took years, and even decades to actually hit the scene in a big way.

I wasn't that into the Mod side, but everybody was into the music and Notre Dame was a magical little secret bang in the middle of the city! I remember my sister and her boyfriend coming up one night to stay over, parking optimistically in a side street, getting towed and and us all having to get a cab out to the lockup area, not being able to pay the fine and having to walk from Elephant and Castle (or nearby) back to Woolwich.

I've link to a few flyers from the time and other bits on Flickr.

Sean

Edited by seano
Social source share

Ah yes, the northern soul combs. I remember Blondie from Stoke telling us that he could get some promotional anniversary stuff done for Sean McLusky and I at a fraction of the usual price. When the combs turned up and the horror subsided we thought they worked well in a 'beyond crap' type of way. Sadly nowadays combs would be beyond crap and pointless as a northern soul giveaway....

All best

Ion

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Ah yes, the northern soul combs. I remember Blondie from Stoke telling us that he could get some promotional anniversary stuff done for Sean McLusky and I at a fraction of the usual price. When the combs turned up and the horror subsided we thought they worked well in a 'beyond crap' type of way. Sadly nowadays combs would be beyond crap and pointless as a northern soul giveaway....

All best

Ion

Now if someone could provide this branded you'd be back in business mate ...post-2428-0-27759500-1310897369_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dazza252

Hi,

used to go there in 1982 aged 16 absolutely brilliant night and got me hooked on northern soul.

Would always sit near front of the stage on the left.

Does anybody remember the superb dancer who danced there - never seen spins like to this day. Always remembered he put on dance / ballet shoes. Would love to know who he was.

KTF.

Dazza 252

Social source share

• 10 months later...
Guest paulf

If anyone has a contact number or address for Kieron I'd much appreciate a PM. We used to be very good friends until I lost contact with him when I moved out of the Brixton area. I'd like to know how he is fairing these days.

Best

Kev.

Kev - I think Greg Fay has the honour of getting phoned up still every other day by Kieron. If you ever want to go round and visit him, give me a shout and I will come with you> Paul

Social source share

Yes, Brian Murray is exactly who I was thinking of (thanks the pic confirms it). Brain was a really nice bloke (as was Cockney Mick) and I knew them both quite well for that fairly brief period, they both used to attend the Cambridge on a Sunday night: a big pub really but with a very large dance floor in north London - exactly where the Cambridge roundabout is now (A406 juntion with A10) - I'm sure you used to go there as well (or did one or twice)? I bet there'll be a few people on here who remember that too!

Yes, the White Lion - I do remember it was a fairly brief event and with very few in attendance. Sean Arnold, now this name rings a massive bell, but am not sure - was he from Enfield? If it's who I think it is then he introduced me to the 100 Club!

Just noticed this thread,brings back good memories of when i was very young.

I been mates with Sean Arnold since 13 years old,in fact he got me into 70`s modern soul mid 80`s.He`s still around and still lives in Enfield.He`s goes to 100 club,Walls of heartache(Walthamstow)Filthy and Monumental soul alldayers/weekenders.

Re the thread,i went to Notre Dame back in 81/82/83?,had some interesting journeys there and back on the Vespa.Always trouble with casuals in cars or bone heads(Skins)I remember one night it was raining and all 3 of us broke down on way home.We worked it out that water had got in fly wheel due to no rubber stopper. My mates got there`s goings i ended up walking it to Camden or there abouts before thinking of dumping it.Luckily i got towed by a kind soul on his way home from work(luckily pass where i lived).

Also went to La beatroot on a Tues night a few times,luckily i was out of work at the time so didn`t have to get up next day.

I went to Mildmay tavern when i was 13/14,Sunday afternoon and Weds evening(if memory serves)) were good.Again running the gauntlet between Highbury Islington station and pub was interesting :wicked::huh: with the local skins than casuals(mostly Arse firm).One Weds night we took a few down (mostly Spurs fans from Edmonton who were older then me) and Denton and his crew turned up(That`s Arsenal firm for those that don`t know).They kicked over all the scooters and it kicked off outside. Later on ,on our way home waiting for a bus at Dalson they came back and my Spurs friends went for a punch up.Being too young and not into that stuff,i got the bus with a mate.Heard it got naughty and a few were put into hosp.etc both sides so after that give it a miss.

We also took a few down to Tooting one Sunday night to see Flat 19,bloody long way on the Northern line :lol: .

Was a regular at the Cambridge,the couple that run it went to school in Tottenham with my Aunt.Any body remember Sean Adams,great dancer,went to Wigan,was in the Shitheads scooter club :lol: .

Anybody do the Carnaby st meetings on Sat? Now i can tell ya a few story`s about that : Wimpey bomb explosion,N.F/BNP demo. Long tall Shorty free gig etc :g:

The Regency(i think that`s what it was called) in Romford/Colliers row was good.Over to you to Mappy :thumbsup:

Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

Yes, Brian Murray is exactly who I was thinking of (thanks the pic confirms it). Brain was a really nice bloke (as was Cockney Mick) and I knew them both quite well for that fairly brief period,

Saw old "Deadeye Dick" (Cockney Mick) early this year Wayne. Not quite so healthy anymore but still geting out and about with his missus. Good on him!

He was a great "Blackbeat" seller back then, used to go round and sell loads of them at 50p each. :yes:

Social source share

Saw old "Deadeye Dick" (Cockney Mick) early this year Wayne. Not quite so healthy anymore but still geting out and about with his missus. Good on him!

He was a great "Blackbeat" seller back then, used to go round and sell loads of them at 50p each. :yes:

Sorry to hear about re Mick but it catches up on us all eventually.I`ve got some flyers of gigs he did stuck on the back of some of my old school books(only reason i keep em lol) .Remember one had a Black fist with keep the faith,might have been a 100 club gig(will try and find one day). I know i went to it but don`t tell Ady i was only 13/14 :shhh: .

Sadly all the flyers/Fanzines from that time(inc a few Blackbeat i think),i gave to my mate cos he`s still involved in the Mod scene.Downside was when he split with wife,she left all his gear on the pavement for the dustman :ohmy:ranting_1.gif .

Have to say thought Notra Dame/100 club played the better soul records out of all them places mentioned.Sadly i was too young /never knew the really good ones and not ready to pick up on them. :facepalm: .

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!