Dottie and Millie - Value?

doowopmick

• Replies 80
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got mine for £6 off Tim Brown's "Front Page Focus" many many moons ago!

Rich

And there are still some front page bargains to be had.

I noticed those nice people at Voices had Futures 'Party Time Man' on their FP

for £15 (if you're into that sort of thing - IMO a much better option was Frankie Newsome's 'Last Bus From Tupelo' on Sagport on the inside pages

On the Dottie and Millie thing, I haven't got a clue these days

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

There's a lesson for all collectors here. Never ignore cheap records. In the last few years it seems that people are only after a certain pool of records, and are missing out on potentially expensive monsters of the future.

It's not just in monetary terms that people are missing out: the seeming snobbery about cheaper records means punters at dances up and down the country are not getting to hear some great soul because the majority of deejays only seem to be concentrating on a particular number of records.

Rod Dearlove at Voices had quantity of The Vanguards "Good Times, Bad Times" for a number of years: It took him ages to sell them all despite his raving about it every month on his list. I believe the most he sold one for was £50.

Guy Hennigan sold his two copies of Joseph Webster "My Love Is So Strong" on Crow for £2 each.

When I started attending venues it was possible to ask deejays about particular tracks and be told "Oh yeah: it's such and such, it only costs £10." Younger enthusiasts could go out and buy these records. That seems to be happening less and less these days as seemingly more and more deejays fall back on a stereotyped list of more expensive titles.

Punters and disc jockeys alike seem to have become less adventurous. I'd like to see younger collectors who are enthusiastic about cheaper, lesser known records get a chance to play such tunes at venues. Or else the whole scene will eventually dwindle and disappear.

Social source share

It's not just in monetary terms that people are missing out: the seeming snobbery about cheaper records means punters at dances up and down the country are not getting to hear some great soul because the majority of deejays only seem to be concentrating on a particular number of records.

When I started attending venues it was possible to ask deejays about particular tracks and be told "Oh yeah: it's such and such, it only costs £10." Younger enthusiasts could go out and buy these records. That seems to be happening less and less these days as seemingly more and more deejays fall back on a stereotyped list of more expensive titles.

Punters and disc jockeys alike seem to have become less adventurous. I'd like to see younger collectors who are enthusiastic about cheaper, lesser known records get a chance to play such tunes at venues. Or else the whole scene will eventually dwindle and disappear.

Agree with all this. Probably my number 2 all-time favourite record is You Ought To Be In Heaven by The Impressions, a £10 record basically. Used to hear this played a lot at the 100 Club in the mid-1980s but I don't think I've ever heard it played anywhere else ever (though these days I hardly get out anywhere).

Why doesn't some enterprising Soul Source soul start up a Soul Source night/nighter, perhaps somewhere central, playing lesser-known, cheaper sounds as well as the monsters?

Maybe a not-for-profit event with free entry for NUS to get some younger people in and serious collectors, as opposed to name DJs, spinning the tunes?

Just an idea.

Social source share

Have searched a eBay ended auctions list, prices as follows:

12.04.04 - 402 dollars, approx. £222

01.06.04 - £155

24.06.04 - £230

20.07.04 - £200

Highest I've seen is £300, so if you're after one you ought to snap Pat's up for £250. Weather the 300-quidder sold or not I don't know. Hope this helps,

Bil

Social source share

Have searched a eBay ended auctions list, prices as follows:

12.04.04 - 402 dollars, approx. £222

01.06.04 - £155

24.06.04 - £230

20.07.04 - £200

Highest I've seen is £300, so if you're after one you ought to snap Pat's up for £250. Weather the 300-quidder sold or not I don't know. Hope this helps,

Bil

got mine from ebay in march for £165

and dan thats a really good idea being a young collector myself but the question is would it work.

Social source share

Can't see why not. But then a similar idea was discussed on the Rare Soul Forum a while back and that didn't get off the ground as far as I know.

A small venue, a not-for-profit event with people you don't normally hear DJ playing their favourite sounds and everything possible being done to open it up to the next generation? It would work for me.

Chance to hear records you don't know/rarely hear and put soul-source faces to names.

Most important of all, I think, something should be done to open up rare soul to people in their teens and early 20s. I know no-one stops them attending now but an event that was:

- free to NUS

- gave everyone who attended a free 20-track CD each time (and those 20 tracks were among those played on the night)

- populated by friendly, non-judgmental, non-superior soulies of the type you find on this forum

...MUST be a good thing?

Or am I bonkers?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Can't see why not. But then a similar idea was discussed on the Rare Soul Forum a while back and that didn't get off the ground as far as I know.

A small venue, a not-for-profit event with people you don't normally hear DJ playing their favourite sounds and everything possible being done to open it up to the next generation? It would work for me.

Chance to hear records you don't know/rarely hear and put soul-source faces to names.

Most important of all, I think, something should be done to open up rare soul to people in their teens and early 20s. I know no-one stops them attending now but an event that was:

- free to NUS

- gave everyone who attended a free 20-track CD each time (and those 20 tracks were among those played on the night)

- populated by friendly, non-judgmental, non-superior soulies of the type you find on this forum

...MUST be a good thing?

Or am I bonkers?

Sorry Dan but I reckon that you're bonkers. In the nicest sort of way of course.

With people you don't normally hear DJing people will stay away in their droves.

It seems to be hard enough covering the costs of a club without letting people in for free (how many clubs actually turn in much of a profit, if any at all?).

Play records that people don't know and half of them start whingeing and asking for something that they know so they can have a bit of a dance.

Why would younger people be interested anyway? There are so many people on the scene who start getting pissed off as soon as they see a few strangers in a club that don't fit in with their own conditions of worth if I was 18 I'd prefer to hang out with my own generation.

IMHO of course.

Social source share

Guest rachel

With people you don't normally hear DJing people will stay away in their droves.

It seems to be hard enough covering the costs of a club without letting people in for free (how many clubs actually turn in much of a profit, if any at all?).

Play records that people don't know and half of them start whingeing and asking for something that they know so they can have a bit of a dance.

Why would younger people be interested anyway?  There are so many people on the scene who start getting pissed off as soon as they see a few strangers in a club that don't fit in with their own conditions of worth if I was 18 I'd prefer to hang out with my own generation.

IMHO of course.

I agree with Gareth's sentiments completely. There are younger people who are interested (right enough not a huge amount), and thankfully there are venues and people who are interested in hearing people and tracks that they haven't heard before. But again, it seems, not that many.

There are so many good cheaper tunes out there that don't get played because the same 'biggies' get hammered... but maybe given the opportunity to hear different stuff, people would get to know and like it just as well.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

There are so many good cheaper tunes out there that don't get played because the same 'biggies' get hammered... but maybe given the opportunity to hear different stuff, people would get to know and like it just as well.

Couldn't agree more. Sadly I'm afraid that a lot of people just aren't interested. I had quite a few different records to play at a recent club (none of which cost more than £40, most of them less) but had various people coming up and asking for "Run For Cover" or best comment "Whose on next and what do they play" (PMSL, thanks, I didn't think I was that bad). I just gave up and went to the tried and tested records. I was then bored to tears, to be frank. Although even at that point someone came up and asked if I could play an oldie (fucks sake, I'd just played at least half a dozen oldies in a row, obviously they didn't recognise them). Boring, boring, boring. I need that emoticon with the hammer hitting it on the head.

I like the idea of show and tell. I reckon it needs a club with no dancefloor. Call it Chinstrokers or something. Nobody allowed in with spencers or any hint of talcum powder on their shoes. And free beer.

IMESHO of course. Sebastian can explain that one.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

That was the Old Blue Last Stuart LOL

Paul

SITC

PMSL you're right, the best venue ever. Kenny Burrell told me that he had the same carpet in his living room, cost him a fortune. But I suspect that the budget for decor at The Old Blue Last worked in a different manner to Kenny's.

Social source share

PMSL you're right, the best venue ever. Kenny Burrell told me that he had the same carpet in his living room, cost him a fortune. But I suspect that the budget for decor at The Old Blue Last worked in a different manner to Kenny's.

That would explain why Tommy wouldn't cut a hole in it so that we could have the dance floor he promised - he'd bought Kenny's offcuts.

Paul

Social source share

i know wot you mean stuart some people need to take the oldie blinkers off and move on to bigger and better things i dont mean that in a bitchy way to any oldies fans so i tend to stay away from the oldies do's there needs to be some new refreshing venues playing lesser known and stuff i would much rather hear a record and think yeah this is brill and thats enough to get me on the floor i havent got a clue wot this has got to do with dottie and millie lol

Social source share

Ta Sebastian - at last I feel like one o' the gang!!

But, per usual, as soon as you learn sommat new, sommat else comes along 'n' pisses on your fire... What does IMESHO mean? SITC? You are all a set of very evil people.

:-(

Apart from you Sebastian. ;-)

Where's this thing in Barnsley anyway? I'm quite neer.

And another thing... seeing as this is a topic regarding the value of records, what's the current going rate for Big Don's Rebellion?

IMAROLO - Ha! Decyfer this!

Social source share

now that is a f**kin wicked record billy have been after big don for a while now havent a clue wot the price is now havent seen any for sale any one got one to offer

Social source share

lol only a young un at 24 mate god i really need big don there was a few nat four pop up on e bay lately one went for only about 220 english pounds but it is the holiday season and time for bargains on there.

you wouldnt be so crule to rub it right under my nose take a few steps back and wave it at me lol

Social source share

lol? what's this? And... yes I would rub it in!! Saw the nat four, bid on the nat four, lost the nat four! Good, init!!! Have you got "I thought you were mine" on ABC or an shit rare alternate cut release, boola boola? I've got it on ABC but I thing the other is a bit too slow (although it is a while since i heard it...).

Social source share

lol = laughs out loud

not got i thought you were mine in my opinion i prefer the boola boola relese its just got the extra somthing it sounds more modern than the abc release but was made befor if you can work that one out it just got my brain going

Social source share

Sebastian to the rescue once again! I like PMSL abb., I can see myself using it a lot!

I aggree with you baz, the Boola-boola release is better IM&YO, but the "Tought you were mine" is much easier to come accross and costs a hell of a lot less. In fact, I had four towards the end of last year, an issue and three demos. Have eBayed two demos but would like to keep both an issue and demo for myself.

Social source share

Am I the only person on here that thinks the Dottie and Millie is a sickly, irritating piece of overrated pap, or should I get my coat?

Jordi

Having heard it far too many times at Prestatyn Jordi (I'm still pi**ed off with it 5 months later)I'm inclined to agree with you. Just an average record that should be filed under "Do not play for 25 years" ;-0

Dave G

Social source share

Guest rachel

Am I the only person on here that thinks the Dottie and Millie is a sickly, irritating piece of overrated pap, or should I get my coat?

Jordi

I used to like it, heard it too much now. The flip is better IMO.

Social source share

Last time I saw Big Don on a list it was £300, last on JManship auction was just over £400.

Thanks Paul, please let me know when the next one comes along 'cos I just gotta beat Baz to it!!

And another thing...

What's the going rate for Chuck Holiday - Just Can't Trust Nobody - Gloria??

Any help appreciated.

Social source share

I've got a feeling that Chuck Holiday on Gloria sells for about £800 - £1,000, when it turns up. I think the last copy on Ebay went for something like just over $1,600.

Also has a good B-side (can't remember the title) which I heard John Weston play recently.

Gene

Social source share

Jordi

Ha ha ! Take your coat off...

I am in absolute agreement - big load off pap - The song would probably be ok IF someone like Etta James and Sugarpie were singing it.

As it stands, Dottie & Millie are my grannies - singing whilst washing clothes in a country river, smiling at each other and looking out over fields of green grass and Walt Disney bunnies ...

In my humble opinion, obviously ! :)

----------------------

Some buyers have got too much money and not enough taste!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

As it is, Dottie & Millie are my grannnies - singing whilst  washing clothes in a country river, smiling at each other and looking out over fields of green grass and Walt Disney bunnies ...

PMSL this sounds like a bit of a Zippadee-doo-da scenario. The other side is better anyway. I'm in the "bored with it but not too bad a record" camp.

Can people please play something else? In The Basement or Good Times Tonight perhaps? Anyone got any other suggestions for great female duets (no laundry or bunnies allowed)?

Social source share

Thanks Paul, please let me know when the next one comes along 'cos I just gotta beat Baz to it!!

And another thing...

What's the going rate for Chuck Holiday - Just Can't Trust Nobody - Gloria??

Any help appreciated.

I think someone I know just paid 2k for Chuck Hoiday, certainly a four figure number.

Social source share

Each to their own and all that, but I hate "Talking About My Baby" with a passion. I used to own every release on Topper bar Dottie and Millie, but I could never bring myself to buy it to complete the set. It was a waste of money when it was £3, let alone £300.

The other side of Chuck Holliday on Gloria is "I Still Love You." Used to be played covered up at Stafford by Dave Thorley as James LaRue. It's the same backing track as The Four Voices "With A Lonely Heart" on Voice, and is another absolutely excellent record, better in my opinion than "Just Can't Trust Nobody".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!