Dottie and Millie - Value?

doowopmick

• Replies 80
  • Views 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was told in Barnsley they have a kind of 'Show and Tell night' Where collectors gather weekly to swap info, listen to tunes, buy, swap, sell, etc. Not a bad idea.

Ed

Eee by 'eck, happy days in Barnsley. Used to spend most of my weekends up there at one time, used to Dj regular at the Tracky Club with Bub and Derek.

Social source share

lol? what's this? And... yes I would rub it in!! Saw the nat four, bid on the nat four, lost the nat four! Good, init!!! Have you got "I thought you were mine" on ABC or an shit rare alternate cut release, boola boola? I've got it on ABC but I thing the other is a bit too slow (although it is a while since i heard it...).

I had the slower Boola Boola release of ITYWM in my sales box for at least two years late 80's, maybe a bit later. In the end I did a swap with Dave Appleyard for Andrea Henry. We'd both got about £80 on each disc.

Social source share

I  think someone I know  just paid 2k for Chuck Hoiday, certainly a four figure number.

(:-O Jesus!! Mine was $150 last year - I'd have guessed about £300...

Anyway can you help me price a few more:

-----------------------------------------------------

Parisians - Twinkle Little Star - Demon Hot

Sex - Baby It's You - Super City

Gloria & Tiaras - I'm Satisfied - Betty

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories - Megatone

John Simeone - Who Do You Love - TNT

Sammy Gaha - Thankyou - Right On

Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving me - Carmen

And a want - thid doesn't need pricing:

Rita & Tiaras - Gone With The Wind - Dore

All help much appreciated,

Mark

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Am I the only person on here that thinks the Dottie and Millie is a sickly, irritating piece of overrated pap, or should I get my coat?

Jordi

No Jordi you most certainly are not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OK I guess at a push but phleaaase

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Sammy Gaha - Thankyou - Right On - 300 ish

Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving me - Carmen - 800 last time i heard of one selling

Social source share

Guest micksmith

(:-O Jesus!! Mine was $150 last year - I'd have guessed about £300...

Anyway can you help me price a few more:

Parisians - Twinkle Little Star - Demon Hot

Sex - Baby It's You - Super City

Gloria & Tiaras - I'm Satisfied - Betty

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories - Megatone

John Simeone - Who Do You Love - TNT

Sammy Gaha - Thankyou - Right On

Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving me - Carmen

And a want - thid doesn't need pricing:

Rita & Tiaras - Gone With The Wind - Dore

All help much appreciated,

Mark

whats this a bloody price topic-why don't you list all your collection and get it over with. then we can talk of something interesting.

Social source share

Dottie and Millie - I seem to be in the minority but I think it's a cracking 45, both sides. Not the best thing since sliced bread but two lovely, tuneful, midtempo femme dancers. Does get played a bit too much these days, from odd times when I've been out and from reading gig reviews, though.

Big Don's Rebellion - I've got a ex+/m- one which anyone can have for 400 sheets

Also got a Rita and Tiaras which I might part with for the right offer (off list)?

Social source share

Sorry Ady, should have said every "Northern Soul" type release on Topper. I stand corrected. I've never been a completist. I'm an idiot.

Don't beat yourself up man; it's just a bit of fun, to use an overworked expression.

The flip of Peppi is of course the groovy Northern item 'You Did', the BT of which is dead good.

Ady

Social source share

whats this a bloody price topic-why don't you list all your collection and get it over with. then we can talk of something interesting.

Well excuu-oo-uuse me if I'm wrong but the original post asked for value regarding another record!! The above are NOT in my collection, I am just curious of price as some might be future wants. And as yet, I can't get my hands on Manship's priceguide 'cos the bloody things are out of print!! So there! I thought you kind people wouldn't mind helping me out, OK??!! - Touchy!

Oh... and...

Dan,

Would you trade Big Don?

How much do you want for the R&T's? It's proper one I prosume...

Social source share

Touch !

Moderator note: When posting wants / sales / price enquiries - it makes it a lot easier to find if you place in a separate topic in the "Sales" or "What's in My Box" section. Members are likely to get a better and faster responses too.

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Dottie and Millie - I seem to be in the minority but I think it's a cracking 45, both sides. Not the best thing since sliced bread but two lovely, tuneful, midtempo femme dancers. Does get played a bit too much these days, from odd times when I've been out and from reading gig reviews, though.

a bit surprised that you were the first to mention the other side, "nothing in this world" is faaaaaaar superior IMVHO and i would say it beats the living daylights (ok, a tad strong maybe ;-) ) out of Moniques version..

best

Leo

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 45s and 33s

Am I the only person on here that thinks the Dottie and Millie is a sickly, irritating piece of overrated pap?

No ..... it's worse than that!! :-)

IMHO it's over-rated, over-priced, over-played and not particularly good.

Social source share

Dottie & Millie is a good record. Etta James, Sugarpie, Aretha et al might sing it better but would their voices suit the song? It has a great groove and IMO their voices suit it perfectly. Anyway who could begrudge them having the opportunity to make the record? I bet that if there was only one known acetate and it was found in a box under Frank Wilson's bed all the critics would be falling over themselves to get their hands on it.

Slim

Social source share

Am I the only person on here that thinks the Dottie and Millie is a sickly, irritating piece of overrated pap, or should I get my coat?

Jordi

You're not alone, I think it's crap, surprise, surprise...

Social source share

a bit surprised that you were the first to mention the other side, "nothing in this world" is faaaaaaar superior IMVHO and i would say it beats the living daylights (ok, a tad strong maybe ;-) ) out of Moniques version..

best

Leo

How is it possible to prefer a quirky rubbish pop number (which is what it sounds like to my ears anyway, even if the Dave Hamilton backing is very good) to strong soul? You have very peculiar taste, to say the least. Old news, but I am still as amazed every time!:-)

Social source share

Parisians - Twinkle Little Star - Demon Hot  £500

Robert Tanner - Sweet Memories - Megatone  £1200?  last one on the bay just over $2000, second time he listed it as I think he had a time waster previous time.

£500 for The Parisians?! I thought more like £200 - £300, which is what I have seen it sell for a few times in the past. I personally don't think it is a very good record, has a sound to it I don't like (a bit like that awful late 60's Temptations Norman Whitfield Psychedelic Shack era sound), am I alone with this opinion?

P.S. I LOVE The Temptations and think most of their best records were produced by Norman Whitfield, but earlier on, before it all deteriorated into god knows what.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

"

Why doesn't some enterprising Soul Source soul start up a Soul Source night/nighter, perhaps somewhere central, playing lesser-known, cheaper sounds as well as the monsters?

Maybe a not-for-profit event with free entry for NUS to get some younger people in and serious collectors, as opposed to name DJs, spinning the tunes?

Just an idea."

Not a soul source night but if anyone's in London there's a nice do every Thursday at Lush on Upper Street that fits the bill. Free entry, a wide range of DJs playing for free, 9 - 2am pub prices and very friendly.

There's also my favourite club night Shake at the Pleasure unit in Bethnal Green, free in and a mix of established and new DJs, really friendly (See Events guide here for next one).

I think the type of nights you mention probably exist everywhere if you look for them.

Social source share

£500 for The Parisians?! I thought more like £200 - £300, which is what I have seen it sell for a few times in the past. I personally don't think it is a very good record, has a sound to it I don't like...

Oh nahh! Awesome record!!! Giz a shout if you see another for £200... Don't you think it compares to Wade F's legend, 'Jeanette'?? I do...

Also decided that I really wand Sex...

That is the record... 'It's You (Baby It's You)'... Please don't get the wrong idea..... ;-)

Again, giz a shout if one turns up or if anyone's selling a copy.....

Social source share

Wade Flemons is much easier to find, and even though it is very played out I much prefer it to The Parisians. I still have not heard the other version by the Traditions, at least not as far as I can recall, so if anyone can provide an RA or such I would be grateful. If so, send it to chrisherm74@yahoo.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert