Little Anthony & The Imperials (Artist Of The Week)

On 22/05/2011 at 01:45, 45cellar said:

Little Anthony & The Imperials Discography (Soulful Kinda Music Link)

>>> Little Anthony & The Imperials <<<

Absolutely love LA & TI .

No bad recordings in my books ( but I am biased ) , but if asked to state a favourite track , it has to be " I'm On The Outside Looking In "

Atmospheric is not the word : sheer quality .

https://youtu.be/Ih530Yttz_k

Malc

Social source share

Guest Paul

Absolutely love LA & TI .

No bad recordings in my books ( but I am biased ) , but if asked to state a favourite track , it has to be " I'm On The Outside Looking In "

Atmospheric is not the word : sheer quality .

https://youtu.be/Ih530Yttz_k

Malc

I've always had a thing about 'Father Father' which came out on Janus in 1971.

Social source share

I've always had a thing about 'Father Father' which came out on Janus in 1971.

:hatsoff2:

LA & TI version of " You Only Live Twice " ( Veep 1269 , 1967 ) , wipes the floor with Nancy Sinatra .

Malc

Social source share

Very rarely call anyone on this scene a legend but will make an exception in the case of Little Anthony & the Imperials.

Sounded good back in the day & still do now.

I Ain't Fallin from the You'll Never Know CD album from a couple of years ago.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

"Payin' our dues" -probably one of the best big city 60's soul albums. All killers - no fillers!

Here's my favourite from that album. Pure beat ballad heaven (or is it hell in the context of the song?)

Little Anthony & The Imperials - Lost without you

Social source share

Love this... 'Nothing From Nothing'

Simply superb ...... just how goooooooooooood is that record .

Audio Erotica .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

I remember when the double header got released with b u y h and g f y g in the mid 70s and I played it to death.

Obviously the lucky buggers who were around for the original releases were spoiled with all their other sweet soul releases.

Not sure how many original imperial's were in the 70s/80s imperial's, but they made some nice soulful tunes as well like ' whose gonna love you've etc.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 07/02/2020 at 23:25, Tomangoes said:

I remember when the double header got released with b u y h and g f y g in the mid 70s and I played it to death.

Obviously the lucky buggers who were around for the original releases were spoiled with all their other sweet soul releases.

Not sure how many original imperial's were in the 70s/80s imperial's, but they made some nice soulful tunes as well like ' whose gonna love you've etc.

Ed

The '80s Imperials had only group founder Clarence Collins left from either the original END Records "Little Anthony and The Imperials", or the classic lineup of the group that got together when Little Anthony returned from his short solo career.  THAT lineup included Clarence Collins, Jerome Anthony Gourdine (Little Anthony),  Ernest Wright, and Sammy Strain, ALL of whom had been with the later End group, but Strain was not an original group member (he joined 1 year later, when Nate Rogers left).  They were together from late 1963 through about 1976 or 1977, when Anthony left again for a second try at a solo career.  So, the late 1977- the 1980s group had only Clarence Collins as an original member.  The classic group got back together in 1992, for gigs on The oldies Circuit, and remained together until 2004, when Sammy Strain died.   From 1961-the end of 1963, "The Imperials" (WITHOUT Anthony) operated as a different group, recording for Capitol Records, Double-L, and a couple other labels, with Collins on lead, and little success, but with some nice R&B/Soul transitional recordings (all of which I bought).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/02/2020 at 01:02, Robbk said:

The '80s Imperials had only group founder Clarence Collins left from either the original END Records "Little Anthony and The Imperials", or the classic lineup of the group that got together when Little Anthony returned from his short solo career.  THAT lineup included Clarence Collins, Jerome Anthony Gourdine (Little Anthony),  Ernest Wright, and Sammy Strain, ALL of whom had been with the later End group, but Strain was not an original group member (he joined 1 year later, when Nate Rogers left).  They were together from late 1963 through about 1976 or 1977, when Anthony left again for a second try at a solo career.  So, the late 1977- the 1980s group had only Clarence Collins as an original member.  The classic group got back together in 1992, for gigs on The oldies Circuit, and remained together until 2004, when Sammy Strain died.   From 1961-the end of 1963, "The Imperials" (WITHOUT Anthony) operated as a different group, recording for Capitol Records, Double-L, and a couple other labels, with Collins on lead, and little success, but with some nice R&B/Soul transitional recordings (all of which I bought).

april 1968

soul Anthony & The Imperials

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!