vivian jones

does anyone have any info on this detroit singer? i've got her single on twirl, and then i've got a 12-inch, six-song acetate that has two tracks by her, one of which is pretty good: "money can't buy me love." was this released? label/date? anyone?

thanks,

m

Social source share

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 63
  • Views 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Vivian Jones Money Cant Buy My Love Lark

Superb record...got it with a number of Rare Detroit items maybe 10 years ago

Played it covered as Virginia Blakely

I think John Manship had a copy along with the Bernard Williams ? on Lark

Went for £1000+ if my memory serves me right

Social source share

Really frustrating when people post up stuff like this while the ebay auctions are running! All it does is alerts more people and pushes the value up. A Similar thing happended when Charles Johnson was up on ebay a few months back when Ted (who already has a copy) posts up saying someone's going to get a bargain and it ended up going for Silly money. To be fair it wouldn't have made much difference as it went to DJ Honky and he probably had about $5000 on it.

Just when you think you might be stand a half decent chance of owning a serious record with a fairly decent snipe someone posts up and alerts people of the auction.....:thumbsup:

Surely you could of waited a few days till after the auction ended!

Callum

Social source share

Can't see it makes any difference

Most people who know it or want it will have some idea of what they want to pay

Most people have a mind of there own and will make there own judgement

The record went through on a major auction site

A rare Detroit record that sounds that good will do well no matter what

Not all buyers/collectors are on Soul Source

Deary Me :thumbsup:

Social source share

I did state that the chance of a bargain on this one was slim as it already has 5 bids but surely you can see how posting something on an internet formum is going to raise interest or alert buyers who didn't initially see it on ebay.

One person already on the thread has mentioned taht he now has a high snipe set and wasn't aware it was on ebay whcih backs my point up!

Callum

Social source share

I did state that the chance of a bargain on this one was slim as it already has 5 bids but surely you can see how posting something on an internet formum is going to raise interest or alert buyers who didn't initially see it on ebay.

One person already on the thread has mentioned taht he now has a high snipe set and wasn't aware it was on ebay whcih backs my point up!

Callum

I can see where you are coming from Callum but what if you hadn't already been aware of it? Wouldn't you be glad to know there was one up for sale?

Social source share

Hi Joan,

Hope your well

I'd rather put the work in on ebay and hopefully come across it rather than someone post a specific link on a Soul based web-site. If i dont stumble across it then it wasn't meant to be if i do stumble across it and people keep it to themselves it's a more even playing field because not all big wealthy collectors may have seen it :thumbsup: ...slim chance of it slipping through but you just never know

p.s - I've not been back home since speaking to you last about the cd, when i arrive I'll have a listen and no doubt be asking for for more info on labels prices etc.

take care

Callum

Social source share

Really frustrating when people post up stuff like this while the ebay au To be fair it wouldn't have made much difference as it went to DJ Honky and he probably had about $5000 on it.

Callum

are you sure ? wouldnt he have bought a cheap copy off Michael R. if he was really interested ? anyway, I am with you, next copy will be signifiatnly cheaper either way.

Marc

Social source share

"There's a very important social message in this Vivian Jones song:

"

I'd f*ck off the mid weight r&b one and go for this instead! Top drawer(s)

ps. Agree with Callum annoying when it something you are after badly, and people DEFINITELY post up in order to both brag and hopefully see an item they own go big bucks. Human nature unfortunately....

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

"There's a very important social message in this Vivian Jones song:

"

I'd f*ck off the mid weight r&b one and go for this instead! Top drawer(s)

ps. Agree with Callum annoying when it something you are after badly, and people DEFINITELY post up in order to both brag and hopefully see an item they own go big bucks. Human nature unfortunately....

Yes I can see it going big

Flagging up current auctions is the behaviour of pansies.

Social source share

Hi marc

in relation to the Charles Johnson, positive it was Honky. I spoke with Micheal a few weeks back his second copy went to Alfie in Italy....

Will be interesting to see what the next one goes for...I had a soundfile of it covered up for about a year before it surfaced on ebay i was desperate to find out what it was but nobody knew anyting about it. Then next thing you know one goes through on ebay for about $800 which Michael won (now alfies copy) and Karl Heard spins it at the 100 club covered as J T Parker. After about 2 weeks the cat was out the bag and now seems to be the next big thing that alot of people was/are chasing.

Chances of owning one now are pretty slim- champagne lifestyle, lemonade income

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

I can see where you are coming from Callum but what if you hadn't already been aware of it? Wouldn't you be glad to know there was one up for sale?

I hadn't been aware of it,,,,,but I am now!! :thumbsup:...I think that that just about proves Callum's point,who I happen to agree with BTW.

Social source share

"But the original post wasn't flagging up an auction

It was posted in the "BOX" section asking for information about a record."

John I think Callum is referring to the guy that then posted up the link and the following comment - 'thanks high snipe set'

Having said all this those ebay links on the front page of this site are right b*stard as well...

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Charles Johnson has been known about a long time. Andy Dyson had it long tome ago, sold one to Karl Heard and along with Ted was spinning the disc all over so it was bound to get noticed and fetch big money the next time it came available. It's happened for years that way with current indemanders.

As for Vivian Jones can't see what the fuss is all about, it's not great is it, average light weight (as Joel called it) R&B ph34r.gif

As for posting ebay links, well the Vivian Jones is in the box at side of forum and most who watch bay will know about it or will do so buy time the auction ends. Besides how do you expect Mods to moderate ebay links if discussion of live auctions was banned? We have enough to do as it is at times.

Social source share

Charles Johnson has been known about a long time. Andy Dyson had it long tome ago, sold one to Karl Heard and along with Ted was spinning the disc all over so it was bound to get noticed and fetch big money the next time it came available. It's happened for years that way with current indemanders.

As for Vivian Jones can't see what the fuss is all about, it's not great is it, average light weight (as Joel called it) R&B ph34r.gif

As for posting ebay links, well the Vivian Jones is in the box at side of forum and most who watch bay will know about it or will do so buy time the auction ends. Besides how do you expect Mods to moderate ebay links if discussion of live auctions was banned? We have enough to do as it is at times.

To be fair Andy Dyson is like an encyclopedia when it comes to records there aint much he dont know about or has had through his hands at some point, I suspect he did know about CJ for a while,he also sold a rough copy which plays fine of Vivian Jones to Bob Morris which features in most of his sets.

Horses for courses - one's mans average light weight RnB is another mans classy detriot soul. One mans soulful mid tempo magic is another mans mid-tempo broing dross etc.

No big real fuss just highlighting my frustration and tryign to make a valid point, I've chilled out now!

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Like I said Callum, this issue as old as ebay and email chat groups/soul forums....all you can do is bid what you think it is worth to you, if others have more money than sense then that is up to them at the end off the day. Plenty more fish in the sea as they say thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Like I said Callum, this issue as old as ebay and email chat groups/soul forums....all you can do is bid what you think it is worth to you, if others have more money than sense then that is up to them at the end off the day. Plenty more fish in the sea as they say thumbsup.gif

Hi Chalky.....i for one will go along with Callum and also with big George's wise words :D

Fact is ebay is a auction that runs on real time.....lots of us who are not so flush do actually pick up some really nice and rare items that slip under the radar.

Its not set in stone that everybody who wants one knows about it as that has already been proved in this thread...."thanks for the heads up" and so on comments.

What next ...someone with a page dedicated to whats on ebay right now with hardly any bids on it ..ffs angry.gif

We all know how the world works and some people get all upset and irate at the thought of someone else picking up one of their rare exclusive playbox 45's ....even more so for a bargain price!

And Callum ...spot on with the Andy Dyson comment....what Andy has'nt heard about ,let alone already had his mitts on is not worth having :yes:

Great taste in soul music too...fast becoming my favourite dj on the circuit today :yes:

P.s ....promise im not gonna say anymore on that subject and embarrass him ...i'll leave that in your capable hands Chalky wink.gif

Social source share

It would be nice if we didn't have these ebay boxes.....i sympathise with what Callum is saying its really annoying when it happens on something you want to bid on.

Callum> 'One mans soulful mid tempo magic is another mans mid-tempo broing dross etc'

Welcome to my record box mate laugh.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi Chalky.....i for one will go along with Callum and also with big George's wise words biggrin.gif

Fact is ebay is a auction that runs on real time.....lots of us who are not so flush do actually pick up some really nice and rare items that slip under the radar.

Like I said Nev this has been an issue for years and will be for years to come. I can remember topics like this on Mike's old Soul Talk e-mail group years ago. But in reality I doubt very much what is said on here will have little bearing on the outcome of a record on ebay.

Most of the records I see in topics like this being complained about are records most will know about, rare, obscure high end Soul records, most of them highly sought after. The Vivian Jones for example didn't need a link in a topic, it is in the adverts at the side.

Most the big players know what is on ebay, plenty know every record up for sale on ebay, they spend a couple of hours a day looking at every listing.

I've missed out on many, but I've bid what I think it is worth to me, if I lose out I move on.

Social source share

Like I said Nev this has been an issue for years and will be for years to come. I can remember topics like this on Mike's old Soul Talk e-mail group years ago. But in reality I doubt very much what is said on here will have little bearing on the outcome of a record on ebay.

Most of the records I see in topics like this being complained about are records most will know about, rare, obscure high end Soul records, most of them highly sought after. The Vivian Jones for example didn't need a link in a topic, it is in the adverts at the side.

Most the big players know what is on ebay, plenty know every record up for sale on ebay, they spend a couple of hours a day looking at every listing.

I've missed out on many, but I've bid what I think it is worth to me, if I lose out I move on.

Your probably right Chalky...come to think of it ...you usually are :yes:

.....you should change your username to the oracle :yes:

P.s that bit ive highlighted in red has reminded me of something i need to ask a favour of you ...pm on its way thumbsup.gif

Social source share

It would be nice if we didn't have these ebay boxes.....i sympathise with what Callum is saying its really annoying when it happens on something you want to bid on.

Callum> 'One mans soulful mid tempo magic is another mans mid-tempo broing dross etc'

Welcome to my record box mate laugh.gifthumbsup.gif

Dont get me wrong mate, I love a bit of Mid-tempo but it has to have balls about it...magicians, lee stone, Tony Clarke, Johnny Barnes immeadietly spring to mind wink.gif

Callum

Social source share

It not a case of bidding what it's worth to me, If i could I'd happily slap 1500ukp on it but unfortunately i'm not in a position to do that.

Records that are not highlighted or attention brought to them on here sometimes do slip through for a fraction of the price especially if it's a semi-known which i think old Viv Jones fits into that category, this enables small time players like myself have a slim chance providing some numpty hasn't posted it for all to see including the big times who have have never heard the record before and may decide they like it and want it!

You'd be surprised just how much of bearing SS has on ebay auctions mate yes.gif

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Hi marc

in relation to the Charles Johnson, positive it was Honky. I spoke with Micheal a few weeks back his second copy went to Alfie in Italy....

Will be interesting to see what the next one goes for...I had a soundfile of it covered up for about a year before it surfaced on ebay i was desperate to find out what it was but nobody knew anyting about it. Then next thing you know one goes through on ebay for about $800 which Michael won (now alfies copy) and Karl Heard spins it at the 100 club covered as J T Parker. After about 2 weeks the cat was out the bag and now seems to be the next big thing that alot of people was/are chasing.

Chances of owning one now are pretty slim- champagne lifestyle, lemonade income

Callum

HI CALLUM,

PMSL AT THIS QUOTE laugh.gif:yes: :yes: laugh.gif:D :D

ROY

Social source share

Vivian Jones Money Cant Buy My Love Lark

Superb record...got it with a number of Rare Detroit items maybe 10 years ago

Played it covered as Virginia Blakely

I think John Manship had a copy along with the Bernard Williams ? on Lark

Went for £1000+ if my memory serves me right

Bernie Moore by chance John ?

Seem to recall Paul Ackley from oop our way getting this one , he has the Vivian Jones too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just to clarify, in the 3rd post, I had already had the 45 watchlisted for a couple of days & was essentially playing devil's advocate at the 2nd poster's act in posting an active auction link up.

This will no doubt bring more attention to B***'s auction which is good for him but not quite so good for the rest of us. :thumbsup:

More devil's advocate, what if Soul Hawk had responded to the first post with his own auction link??

What if he'd asked a friend to post the link up in reply??

A real can of worms :lol:

Social source share

To answer Ady's question above, this 12-inch metal acetate has the following tracks:

A

1. Vivian Jones, Money Can't Buy Me Love

2. Vivian Jones, Crying

3. Bernie Moore, Which Way to Turn

B

1. Bernie Moore, Lonely Soldier

2. Little Vance, I've Gotta Move

3. Little Vance, Summer's Almost Over

For each artist there's an uptempo track and a slowie, and it sounds like it's all the same band and production. The Little Vance 'I've Gotta Move' would be a lot better if he weren't a child. Did it come out too?

Social source share

Yep.....uncle Ted strikes again

Having said that ...for the eagle eyed...had posted it back in December of last year as a "tip"

Perhaps Ted was looking :thumbsup:

Perhaps Ted stumbled across it through this thread :D, I must say Ted has a amazing collection...records that i can only dream of owning.

I've had time to think and reflect and maybe i should of not posted anything and brought more atention to it alongside the ebay link. However I still feel that posting links up while auctions are live should be banned. I agree with Chalky and yes it is almost impossible to manage and probably wont happen but it's just my opinion. I agree if it's someone trying to pull a fast one or selling a dodgy boot etc then yeah by all means but not when it's a highly sought after record (by those that know it).

I saw it posted in the top tips John and took note but then again I've known it for years after hearing Hoss play it.

Great record, I cant wait to hear it played out and have a dance to it

Callum

Social source share

HI Callum

To be honest I think you were absolutely right to post

The whole idea of this forum is share information and opinions,to debate ,to agree and to disagree .

It's healthy for us and for the scene

Agree about uncle Ted's collection...awesome

I hope people will continue to post what they feel

ATB

John P

Edited by john parker
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!