Grumpy Soul Runcorn Sat 9 July 2011 8Pm-4Am

Early shout for this one folks ... ... I've been nominated / press ganged into starting the thread so here goes ... ...

As long-standing mates, non-promoters, confirmed soul nuts and miserable bleeders (well, Kev is anyway), Kev n Sharon S, Tony n Joan L and myself have been thinking about putting something on for what seems like years. Usual things dictated that what we thought was a good idea has taken ages to come to fruition, not least because we've been trying for yonks to find the right venue and a date which, wherever possible, wouldn't upset any applecarts. (We've done our absolute best to avoid clashing with other NW dos and, out of courtesy, have contacted the one promoter whose night we bloody missed - sorry!)

Venue (is a belter!)

Anyway, we've now secured what we think is a tailor-made venue in Runcorn i.e. dead easy motorway access, great dancefloor, loads of parking, no residential area issues etc. Just as importantly, the manager is right up for it and it'll be a 4am finish (bar til 3) which is great news for any would be travellers thumbsup.gif

Music Policy

Now, what for us is absolutely the most important bit, the music. Expect to hear quality tunes that were originally played on the scene between around '79-90 primarily (with maybe the odd thing either side too. If you were there you know what that means and if you weren't come along and ave some). In other words, we want to focus on those records from the period, the venues and the DJs that first really inspired us and shaped our taste, originally and most importantly as dancers and latterly as collectors and sometimes DJs e.g. late Wigan, Stafford, Shotts, Parr Hall, Tonys, Morecambe etc etc.

Whether its a £5 or £3k record really shouldn't and doesn't matter a monkeys does it? If it's good enough, fits the bill and someone has it with them then it'll get played. Same with the tempo thing; you definitely won't get a raft of 'beat ballads' all night but neither will you have a migraine by midnight. Similarly, you won't hear done to bleedin' death, tired oldies, disco or C&W, but neither will you sit there all night wondering what on earth is happening cos they all seem to be playing bobbins obscurities that no bugger knows.(We'd also like to think the odd 'newie' - if such a thing exists - might get chucked into the mix somewhere along the line' just to keep the juices flowing).

Ultimately' for us it's all about the music, the floor / punters and a belting night out doing what we love most' always has been and always will be. To achieve that we need a good balance we think so fingers crossed we can strike it.

DJs

Reckon the first line-up speaks for itself and sets the bar at just about the right height (as long as I don't make a balls of it of course). Between em this little lot have got pretty much all you need to make it rock, all night. This really does promise to be a cracking night but, as ever, while you gotta have the tunes and the people to play em, it's the support and passion of the punters and dancers that'll make or break it so over to you... ...

How Often?

We certainly aren't intent on running this monthly or anything mad like that; the calendar just looks so full and we ain't got the time, inclination or drive to be full-on promoters. We also want to keep things as fresh as possible musically so, depending how the first one goes, we'll maybe look to do 3-4 / year? Dunno ... see how it goes.

Hope to see loads of up for it folks on Saturday 9th July then. Eight full hours, all quality, all night and a measely fiver gets you in :lol:

Directions from M6 and M56 (see map below too)

Postcode WA7 5QS.

For those non-map readers / sat navers, basic directions as follows:

From the M6:

1. M62 signed Liverpool

2. Leave M62 at Jct 7

3. 2nd exit on roundabout onto A557 signed Widnes

4. Keep left and on A557 signed Runcorn M56

5. Continue and merge onto A533

6. Runcorn Bridge

7. Keep then branch left (A533) signed Runcorn town centre and Northwich

8. Branch left then turn right onto Heath Road South (B5155)

9. Turn right onto Halton Road

10. The club is half a mile or so down on your left

From the M56

1. Jct 12 m56

2. Follow Liverpool Airport signs and take first slip

3. Fork left then get in middle lane

4. Off left at next slip

5. After 10 yds turn right onto Halton Rd

6. Club is half a mile on your left

A doddle, you can't miss it!

Record dealers and sales boxes very welcome. PM me or Kev Spittle if you need a table

ps. It goes without saying that, in the spirit of the thing, kung fu slippers, taches, dungarees, perms, shorts etc most welcome :wicked:

post-7878-0-95455400-1306077669_thumb.jp

post-7878-0-70276100-1306087738_thumb.jp

Edited by PhilT
  • Replies 329
  • Views 19.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Early shout for this one folks ... ...

As four long-standing mates, non-promoters, confirmed soul nuts and miserable bleeders (well, Kev is anyway), Kev, Tony, Joan and myself have been thinking about putting something on for what seems like years. Usual things dictated that what we thought was a good idea has taken ages to come to fruition, not least because we've been trying for yonks to find the right venue and a date which, wherever possible, wouldn't upset any applecarts. (We've done our absolute best to avoid clashing with other NW dos and, out of courtesy, have contacted the one promoter whose night we bloody missed - sorry!).

Anyway, we've now secured what we think is a tailor-made venue in Runcorn i.e. dead easy motorway access, great dancefloor, loads of parking, no residential area issues etc. Just as importantly, the manager is right up for it and we have secured a 4am finish (and bar til 3) so all good for any would-be travellers.

Now, what for us is absolutely the most important bit, the music. Expect to hear quality tunes originally played on the scene between around '79-90 primarily (with maybe the odd thing either side too). Namely, those records from the period, the venues and the DJs that basically shaped our taste and inspired us, originally and most importantly as dancers and latterly as collectors and sometimes DJs e.g. late Wigan, Stafford, Shotts, Parr Hall, Tonys etc.

£5 - £3k, doesn't matter a monkeys, if it's good enough, fits the bill and someone has it with them then it'll get played. (You won't hear done to bleedin' death things, disco or C&W and neither will you sit there all night though wondering what on earth is happening although I'm sure the odd 'newie' might get chucked in somewhere. It's all about the right balance we think so fingers crossed we can strike it).

We reckon the first line-up speaks for itself and sets the bar at just about the right height. Hope you agree and that we get a really good turn out as a result; promises to be a cracking night but, as ever, it's the support and passion of the punters and dancers that'll make or break it so over to you.

Finally, we certainly aren't intent on running this monthly or anything daft like that; the calendar is simply too full, we ain't got the time, inclination or drive to be full-on promoters and we also want to keep things as fresh as possible musically. So, depending how the first one goes, we'll maybe look to do 3-4 / year? Dunno ... see how it goes.

Hope to see you on Saturday 9th July then, flyer below for more info

atb

Phil

ps. It goes without saying that, in the spirit of the thing, kung fu slippers, taches, dungarees, perms, shorts etc most welcome :lol:

Grumpy Soul, eh?.............................Why have you named a Soul Night after Ian Cunliffe......??? :wicked::yes:

This will be a top night, really looking forward to it, see you there. thumbsup.gif

Be great to see you T (and the good lady we hope). Has all the basic ingredients we reckon, including the grumpiest old git of them all Mr Cunliffe laugh.gif Still got some great records though the lad and knows how to get em up and keep em up. (I assume he'll be out the back on the canal with his, erm, pole, at some stage too doing his best gnome impression :lol: )

Be great to see you T (and the good lady we hope). Has all the basic ingredients we reckon, including the grumpiest old git of them all Mr Cunliffe :thumbup: Still got some great records though the lad and knows how to get em up and keep em up. (I assume he'll be out the back on the canal with his, erm, pole, at some stage too doing his best gnome impression :lol: )

Hope he hasn't got his rod out :rolleyes::yes:.

Be great to see you T (and the good lady we hope). Has all the basic ingredients we reckon, including the grumpiest old git of them all Mr Cunliffe :rolleyes: Still got some great records though the lad and knows how to get em up and keep em up. (I assume he'll be out the back on the canal with his, erm, pole, at some stage too doing his best gnome impression :thumbup: )

sounds good to me,is it easier access from widnes side,or M56??

Its a great venue been there 100,s of times over the years its where the draw use to take place for the Fishing matches..

Very easy access just off the expressway in Runcorn, should be a great first nite it better be ive booked the nite off work !

so i hope ya all turn up for what will be a nite of great soul music and nite full of laughs as always..

Me grumpy neveeeeeeeeer

:rolleyes:

If coming by canal barge from Manchester as you pass the Barge pub ont right go about half mile the expressway in on yer right and the club is smack bang on the canal bank around peg 41 if my memory is up to it just after the famous sunken barge peg :thumbup::yes:

Mate, be great to catch up and hope the night is an absolute stormer - as you say, even better now you're off work. All I ask is that you stay off the feckin brandy and bring your pole (as a contingency!)

Be great if we can deliver what a decent number of folk seem to be asking for and might bring back a few memories too hopefully - you being a player in the days of Westhoughton, Leigh etc etc. Great, great days and, IMHO, musically unsurpassed in terms of progressive, quality records being played consistently. (But then I am biased cos that's what I grew up on and old gits like you educated us whippersnappers).

As you know, all any of us are after is a great night out and thanks to all the other DJs for stepping right up to the mark, much appreciated :rolleyes:

You'll add to the mix Ian as you always do, its always a pleasure to be in your company (unless bloody vinyl is changing hands of course :yes: ). Could be a great couple of weeks as we're double-decking at Burnley the following week aren't we? Roll on :lol:

I tentatively put the post-code in Googlemaps crossing my fingers that this would be within my self imposed 3 hour travelling limit and it's just over... however, as I drive faster than Google guesses, it is! :hatsoff2:

Are there any Travel Lodge's or similar close by?

I tentatively put the post-code in Googlemaps crossing my fingers that this would be within my self imposed 3 hour travelling limit and it's just over... however, as I drive faster than Google guesses, it is! :hatsoff2:

There's a travel lodge at Preston Brook which isn't far away also a couple of b&b's gotta get ready for work now Karen but will get proper details for you later.

Sharon

I tentatively put the post-code in Googlemaps crossing my fingers that this would be within my self imposed 3 hour travelling limit and it's just over... however, as I drive faster than Google guesses, it is! :thumbsup:

Come on down m'dear, be really great to see you! (2hrs 57m by my reckoning).

Sure Shaz'll post some accom details asap.

Phil Thrgxtfzswvc x

Hey up Phil !!

Can you recommended any tanning booth's locally or do I need to dish out the latex gloves to Dave again!! :thumbsup:

Louise

Eyup duckie. I'm still disturbed by that conversation, thought I'd bloody dreamt it. (There's curtains at Grumpy's so make sure you get that crev filled or I'll be up and down all night thinking they're ajar :D )

I tentatively put the post-code in Googlemaps crossing my fingers that this would be within my self imposed 3 hour travelling limit and it's just over... however, as I drive faster than Google guesses, it is! :thumbsup:

As requested Karen a few details of hotels in the area

Holiday Inn, Wood Lane, Beechwood, Runcorn, WA7 3HA can either be booked online or by ringing 0871 423 4876

Campanile, Lowlands Road, Runcorn, WA7 5TP can also be booked online or 01928 581771

Premier Inn, Chester Road, Preston Brook, Runcorn, WA7 3BB - 0871 527 8954 you could probably book this online as well

Waterloo Hotel, 88 High Street, Runcorn, WA7 1JH don't think you can book this online but can call 01928 575444, this is a local pub that do B&B don't think they've got loads of rooms but this is the one that's the closest to the venue oh yeah and it's the pub that's used in Two Pints of Lager :D. You can check their website out if you wanna have a look before you try booking www.thewaterloo.co.uk. Just noticed they've got a contact e-mail address on their website so you could also try that.

The second closest is the Campanile and the others are about 15 mins drive away.

Hope this is helpful if anyone want's any further details or info please let me know.

Sharon

That's the one ... and he's going to kill me :yes:

Is that Threlfall falling of his space hopper again!!!! :shhh:

Mind you most of the members of Sussex County Cricket Ground will remember this as he's best fielding position :lol:

Dave

Edited by Louise

These diva DJ's :yes:

Divy would be more appropiateJoan and can you make sure there's old settee in it this time. The last time I was in a skip with your Tony he had me peeriing up into the heavens, while he pointed out which star constellation was the great bear :lol::shhh:

The 2nd floor photograph was great... gives us dancers a perspective on real size. Was it really slippery? :thumbsup:

Thank you for the hotel information Sharon smile.gif

Sounds like a belter Phil.

Top DJs / collectors, good venue and a late finish.

I'll bring my poorly Vespa engine along so that Kev can help me fix it (mind the big end and don't forget to grease the nipples!)

Count me in.

Chris

Great! See you there Chris :lol: I have it on good authority that Kev greases a good nipple so rest easy ...

its unfortunate but we will not be able to attend sorry , we are else where that night, I knew the date rung a bell somewhere, all the best hope its every thing you want it to be :lol:

Aw never mind Lou sure you said it was the Friday night though must be going daft in my old age oh yeah and grumpy :lol:. We'll miss you both see you soon.

Sharon

Looks like a good night, only an hour from Wolverhampton - count me in.

By the way Phil, why have you got your hand on your winkle while lying on the floor.:ohmy:

PMSL Kev I thought that when I looked at the picture hadn't noticed when it was on the phone but saw it when Kev downloaded it. See you soon.

Sharon

there is a big canal over the back chris, that should fix it...:hatsoff2:

Now that does indeed sound grumpy. I shall leave the scooter at home and find another suitable way of irritating you...and for 8 hours too!

I look forward to filling my 'wants' notebook and mithering you every 5 minutes based on what's being played and asking for the artist and label...how much it is and where can I get one. It'll be just like old times.

Chris

Been a bit of a tough year for us so far this year, what with fuel prices n us living up in the frozen norf. So we`ve been having to pick n choose the venues we can travel to. But this one looks the place for us, our type of music policy to a tee, SEE YA THERE :hatsoff2:

That's fantastic Harry. Can't wait to see you both :lol: