Rose Batiste - Hit And Run

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I can't answer the question but Keb Darge has said it was the first real Northern record he ever heard. The year was 1973 and he heard it at an RAF base Tae Kwon Do club Christmas party !!

Social source share

Oh dear - i should go home ... I completely mis-read Lady Jane's post - I thought it said, "Who discovered this gem in my collection?"

Social source share

Guest micksmith

FIRST PLAYED I THINK AT BLACKPOOL MECCA 72/73. NOBODY REALISED THEN HOW GOOD THE B SIDE WAS. NOT A MOTOWN RECORD BUT CLASS DETROIT. ORIGINALS HAVE ZTSP STAMPED IN THE RUN-OUT GROOVE.

A MUST FOR ME TO SPIN AT 100 CLUB ANN.

Social source share

ORIGINALS HAVE ZTSP STAMPED IN THE RUN-OUT GROOVE.

Originals are either white demos or grey issues on styrene - if you tap it GENTLY it will give off a metalic "ting". Also, if you run your finger nail up the edge of the label it will catch as they are glued on. The pressing was done of the grey issue in the 70's and look and sound virtually the same. They were done on vinyl and have a 'molded' label i.e. no distinguishable edge between the label and the run-out, and a dull "thud" if you tap it.

Definatley one of the best non-Motown, "motown" records to be made - probably because half the musicians on it had a strong Motown connection, shall we say!!

Social source share

there is definitely an edge between the label (which is grey) and the vinyl - I have a copy of Freddie Chavez' They'll Never Know Why and can tell from the poorer quality of the vinyl that this is definitely a bootie. Never mind - at least I have it for my set.

Anyway - my discoveries continued last night as I then found Lenis Guess' Workin' For My Baby at the back of my newly acquired pile of 7s. Fantastic. Its on SPQR and again I am positive is an original pressing.

Result!!!

Social source share

Martha Reeves also did a version of Hit and run but is no where near as good as the Rose Batiste version.

Personally I have allways preferred the B side I miss my baby but the Bari track instrumental by Doni Burdick is the one that allways gets me up dancing.

Another classic that i prefer the b side to more nowadays is the b side to Dena Barnes If you ever walk out of my life. Used to hate Who am I but now love it and is so right for todays scene.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just discovered this gem in my collection..

Call me a suspicious old cynic, but now you have the info you needed, is it the same 'gem' you're selling on www.northern-soul.com ??

Social source share

yes it is - i thought i would see what kind of offer I would get and have received one for £100 - do you think this is reasonable or should i hang on to it? Northern Soul Top 500 says the issue is worth £100 - and it has a grey label..... p.s. i am honestly not a spammer ..... am a teacher actually who loves music.....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!