Strangest Artist To Have A Northern Record

I`m sure this must have been done before but I wonder which is the strangest artist to have had a record played on the Northern scene? By strange I guess the artist must be well known in another musical genre say Country, rock or jazz...

Here is a starter....

Dolly Parton- Busy signal

Mel Torme-Coming home baby

Elvis-Rubbernekkin`

Lets have `em!

Chris

Social source share

I had a Tom Jones record on Tower a couple of years ago...went for over a hundred quid, cant remember what it was called now...

Just looked it up, it was "Chills and fever".

Chris

Tom Jones " Stop Breaking My Heart "

Big Boris " Devil's Drive "

Ted Cassidy " The Lurch "

Los Bravos " I Don't Care "

P J Proby " Niki Hoeky "

and of course .................. Muriel Day " Nine Times Out Of Ten " :thumbsup:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Paul Anka "When we get there" :thumbsup:laugh.gif

And ARkwright - yes Tony Blackburn was massive at Wigan for a few weeks.

Speaking of which Ron Grainer "Joe 90" - Ron was a tremendous creator of TV themes, and did loads of good ones, but this one obviously "crossed over" to the northern scene.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

PETULA CLARK # THE IN CROWD

SCOTT MAC KENZIE # LOOK IN YOUR EYES

BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS # TELL ME THAT I'M WRONG

Jack Jones recorded a passable version of " 1 - 2 - 3 " .

Malc

Social source share

Guest jerrio

I`m sure this must have been done before but I wonder which is the strangest artist to have had a record played on the Northern scene? By strange I guess the artist must be well known in another musical genre say Country, rock or jazz...

Here is a starter....

Dolly Parton- Busy signal

Mel Torme-Coming home baby

Elvis-Rubbernekkin`

Lets have `em!

Chris

SOLOMAN KING THIS BEAUTIFUL DAY. TOM JONES. DR LOVE PJ PROBY. YOU CANT COME HOME AGAIN, DANNY WILLIAMS. WHOSE LITTLE GIRL ARE YOU.
Social source share

BOBBY BENNETT / YOU'RE READY NOW

Helen Shapiro " Stop And You'll Become Aware "

Marion Ryan " Better Use Your Head "

Malc

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Heres one for you, sorry bout not doing refo clip cant get it to work.

cheers Ralph

sitenote

ralph

sorry but we can not allow mp3 outside of sales

if you have probs with refosoul then can you post them in feedback, along with browser version

thanks mike

Social source share

I've banged on here many times about what a great attempt at blue-eyed soul the Ronnie Milsap Scepter sides were so I don't think of them as strange choices.

Funnily enough I never connected that Bernadette Peters on ABC was that Bernadette Peters. Seems obvious now, though. Who can forget her appearance in The Jerk? A great comic actress.

The thing about records like BP, Dolly Parton, Connie Stevens etc. is that at least they were aimed at the discotheque and were using production styles which were current in contemporary black music: either Motown soundalikes or Stax-like in the case of Charlie Rich's soul records, so it's no surprise that they can still stand up against more 'authentic' examples. Often the producers, arrangers and songwriters were the same as on the black-fronted records, particularly on major labels.

Ray Merrell is an odd one though.

Social source share

Chris Cerf is a very good example. I started a topic on here a good few years ago about his involvement in a US military intelligence operation to use music in conflict situations: specifically in bombarding terrorists with apalling sounds in hostage situations. I wonder if the big hats at the Pentagon had ever heard his Amy 45?

Social source share

Met PJ PROBY when I worked the doors in my early twenties at the Top Hat Spennymoor,when I mentioned I used to dance to "cant come home again"at a club in Wigan he pissed hisself laughing lol,he actually had a flat in Spennymoor as he was a bit of a local celeb lol[dont say much about my home town lol].

BAZ A

Social source share

Twiggy - Beautiful Dreams

Not an Oldie, but I'm sure some must've shuffled around their front room/bedroom/kitchen (delete where appropriate) to it?!

:thumbsup:

Just out of interest, That version on the YouTube clip isn't the original single, it's from an album called Twiggy & Her Boyfriends, released in the 70's to cash in on her role in The Boyfriend. There's no theramin on the original, it's in mono and it's miles better.

Social source share

Jack Jones recorded a passable version of " 1 - 2 - 3 " .

Malc

Soul Source Guest - One Two Three - That Would Be To Easy

Toni Basil - Breakaway - Soul-tbc

Social source share

This topic is rubbish, you're just all listing any white singers who've had a Northern biggie, a lot of these singers are excellent anyway like Helen Shapiro, Petula Clark, Charlie Rich etc, the question was THE STRANGEST ARTIST so it's going to be someone like Harold Wilson or Roger Moore, i.e. not a recognised singer, not a decent artist like Tom Jones.

I always liked Clive Dunn's take on Out On The Floor.

Social source share

Les Dawson.

Please send my £5 to...

£2.50 only, we need a title Ken ok i'll give you a title "spread it around" covered as Des Lawson biggrin.gif

Petula Clark - A Sign Of The Times - Warner Brothers

Social source share

Always thought this was a bit strange. The ex drummer for the Shadows with Chase Side Shoot Up from 74.Jack Wardle from Middlesbrough told me he was selling this as a cover up for ages and was a big sound at one point.Brian Bennett was massively into Library session work for KPM,Bruton etc .My mind has it set as the golf theme but it looks as though that started in 1980.

Ditto Mike Vickers and On The Brink.Mike Vickers being the saxophonist and flute player in Manfred Mann.He moved massively into session work and TV work....Captain Scarlet,Please Sir etc

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Original post doesn't say the title is required, just strangest artist...

But just for you it's:

Run for Shelter on UK Mercury.

But that's a bird biggrin.gif not the Les Dawson

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!