Strangest Artist To Have A Northern Record

• 4 weeks later...

How about John Gary and Hang On to Me? He was a typical middle of the road singer who appeared frequently on variety shows here in the States like The Mike Douglas Show.

There's a DJ over there who's spinning the Johnny Mathis version of Evil Ways, which really isn't that bad. I actually put it in my box for a gig, but never got around to playing it.

Someone mentioned Mayf Nutter...he was a country singer here in the States who had a few minor country hits, but was far more recognizable as a regular on the TV series Hee Haw.

Best,

Mark

Social source share

I have that Buster 45 in my collection, great soul number.

How about John Gary and Hang On to Me? He was a typical middle of the road singer who appeared frequently on variety shows here in the States like The Mike Douglas Show.

There's a DJ over there who's spinning the Johnny Mathis version of Evil Ways, which really isn't that bad. I actually put it in my box for a gig, but never got around to playing it.

Someone mentioned Mayf Nutter...he was a country singer here in the States who had a few minor country hits, but was far more recognizable as a regular on the TV series Hee Haw.

Best,

Mark

Mathis also did one called 'Come Back' which I know has had some plays on the Popcorn scene.

Social source share

That might have been the heavies who had the venue earlier in the evening  

You could well be right but I recall reading it was played at a nighter ? Who knows ? 

Apparently Domino by Van Morrison was played briefly on the scene too , the backing track is almost identical to Al De Lory's  Right On ....I could just imagine the grumpiest man  in Ireland being well impressed at this :glare:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You could well be right but I recall reading it was played at a nighter ? Who knows ? 

Apparently Domino by Van Morrison was played briefly on the scene too , the backing track is almost identical to Al De Lory's  Right On ....I could just imagine the grumpiest man  in Ireland being well impressed at this :glare:

Not apparently, Van Morrison was definitely played.

'Cartoon Candy Carnival' has to be one of the strangest!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I was at a thrift store and saw this bizarre album- Enoch Light presents "Guitar Underground- 7 Great Guitars with the NOW sound".

Enoch was a big band leader and then put out a series of "ping pong percussion" albums in the early 60's. I guess after making albums

for parents he decided to go for the youth market. The album has remakes of what you would expect- "Georgy Girl", "Up Up And Away",

"Don't Sleep In The Subway", "It's Not Unusual"  and "Strangers In The Night". And then in the midst of all that , there's a remake of 

Al Kent's "You've Got To Pay The Price" ? 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Cilla Black; " Everything Itouch Turns to tears " ," The real Thing" ,and "Yo Yo " asplayed to packed floor at stoke allnighter.{parlphone lp tracks ,allprodoced by george Martin who had fleeting sucess eith 4 scousers,. Gerry Dorsey on us Hickory ,alias Englebert humperdink. Gerard Kenny "Happiest Man"Irish american Chris de Burgh soundalike and my all time winner Ted Cassidy "the Lurch"on capital uk and us, shucks ,just missed one sold for £75 on RNS>com Steve and Lee Jeffries adorable sales site!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest son of stan

Look the same to me

Weren't the Glitter Band supposedly used as the house band by Contempo for their own productions?

They also did another one llike 'Makes You Blind' called something daft - 'Tuna Biscuit' I think...?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Years ago someone told me The Motors (pop group of 'Airport' and that one that sounds like 'Grandstand' fame) had an LP track that was played at Wigan. That true?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!